• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall 2 Multiplayer Technical Test Impressions (XB1/PS4)

So I just played some Bo3 multiplayer with my nephew.

Titanfall 2 is like, the best game ever in comparison.

Eh, it's certainly better than BOPs, but too similar in some ways. The comparison is always going to be with TF1 though. CoD is what it is, but it feels like we had near perfection with TF1 and now we have a game that's a bit better than CoD. Good game though overall.

Izuna

Banned
Eh, it's certainly better than BOPs, but too similar in some ways. The comparison is always going to be with TF1 though. CoD is what it is, but it feels like we had near perfection with TF1 and now we have a game that's a bit better than CoD. Good game though overall.

I've almost never played CoD multiplayer before, but I had it on the Xbone for some reason. I feel like the comparisons with CoD are far more insulting than I thought.

Boneyard is visually a really cool map but I just played it for the first time in a while... and is it really any better than the TF2 maps we've played? The huge tower in the back leads to even more annoying players than the tiny middle tower in Homestead. The parkour routes are pretty thin, though the zip lines help quite a bit.

Still tons and tons of cover to take on boneyard. It's a very open map, that maintains lots of potential places to parkour and cover. You can parkour like nuts through the many little canyons and valleys on the map.

The other aspect of the map, is that it's all hills, it's not just an open and flat map, it's all angles and curves, it has so many non linear pathways while being completely open map too.

Still tons and tons of cover to take on boneyard. It's a very open map, that maintains lots of potential places to parkour and cover. You can parkour like nuts through the many little canyons and valleys on the map.
Homestead has lots of rocks and trees in the open areas for cover. And outside of those two spots you can pretty much parkour everywhere. I was moving around a lot better than I expected once I started seeing what big rocks and cliff faces I could use. It's too bad we can't just boot up the tech test maps in a single-player mode to mess around with the movement some more.
The other aspect of the map, is that it's all hills, it's not just an open and flat map, it's all angles and curves, it has so many non linear pathways while being completely open map too.
It is very hilly and windy. The extreme asymmetry doesn't really make for a great objective game mode map. Though I think I still prefer asymmetry to the pretty symmetrical three maps from the tech test.

I've almost never played CoD multiplayer before, but I had it on the Xbone for some reason. I feel like the comparisons with CoD are far more insulting than I thought.

It's doesn't control like cod by any means. The ttk pre-second test seemed super fast and the lack of movement options in regards to the map design (lanes, etc) didn't help. It did move further in that direction and away from the original and that's where the comparisons most likely came from. It's not COD with mechs for sure, but it did veer a little closer than I would have liked. Then again, I saw people saying the battlefield one beta is like cod, so folks just enjoy saying that I guess, lol.

After its out, I may check it out, but it's definitely not a day 1 (full price) purchase anymore. I just really hope those other maps are better, but I doubt it after seeing their design philosophy on what we've seen. I hope the additional mechs help it not feel as stale Titan-wise and I'm sure they do.

E92 M3

Oh I'm not complaining, I love it.

Me too :p Just whenever people die by something too much, they cry for nerfs. Respawn/IW have always made incredibly fun shooters because they didn't care so much about making things super "balanced." Balance isn't inherently fun.

spannicus

I disagree
Why is that? Id love to know why you think you should be able to kill someone with a shotgun from that distance lol smh
With this fucking thing, all you have to do is point it at someone and press the button. Takes no real aiming and getting kills come way to easy. I cant imagine a game where everyone is using this thing. I wouldnt want to.

Why is that? Id love to know why you think you should be able to kill someone with a shotgun from that distance lol smh
With this fucking thing, all you have to do is point it at someone and press the button. Takes no real aiming and getting kills come way to easy. I cant imagine a game where everyone is using this thing. I wouldnt want to.
The spread is only horizontal, and there's a lot of travel time on the shots. I found the Mastiff to be very well balanced. In fact, I think I was pretty happy with all the new weapons in the tech test.

Rayme

So true. So very slow.

Titanfall MP is a beautiful, gentle journey of calm self-reflection. A fragile lullaby, to be whispered and protected.

If memory serves.

RedFury

So true. So very slow.

Titanfall MP is a beautiful, gentle journey of calm self-reflection. A fragile lullaby, to be whispered and protected.

If memory serves.
Glad you guys can laugh off some of this stuff. Can't believe some of the things I've read, must be tough being a creative mind putting your work out there when no two tastes are alike. You guys/gals keep up the good work.

Brakara

Yo Respawn, when are we getting more new map info?

I'm not really that worried about maps, but anything about other modes would be more interesting, as the 3 in the tech test were underwhelming to say the least. Just anything with AI like in Attrition and Domination in TF1, please.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
I'm not really that worried about maps, but anything about other modes would be more interesting, as the 3 in the tech test were underwhelming to say the least. Just anything with AI like in Attrition and Domination in TF1, please.

I think there is a good chance Attrition returns given the outcry from the fans.

I hope Frontier Defense comes back too, I still play that today.

E92 M3

So you guys really saying that shotgun isnt op? That shit is way overpowered. Fucking distance on that thing is too crazy.

Nope, I've killed plenty of dudes using the shotty. It has to be used correctly as all guns do. Instead of complaining, pick a weapon and get good with it.

(Shotty isn't my style)

spannicus

Nope, I've killed plenty of dudes using the shotty. It has to be used correctly as all guns do. Instead of complaining, pick a weapon and get good with it.

(Shotty isn't my style)
not complaining one bit just seems Op as fuck. Im pretty decent in TF no worries. Never used a shotty in any FPS cant fucking stand the dudes who run around all day using them. To each their own but we'll see how it pans out come Oct.
Will be my pleasure to whoop someones ass who runs around using this thing. 😄

That is not true at all. I was watching people play and reading all day how people thought it was op and I got home and felt it was incredibly well balanced. It needs to be aimed and shot correctly. I was pretty terrible with it and switched back to AR and SMGs.

E92 M3

not complaining one bit just seems Op as fuck. Im pretty decent in TF no worries. Never used a shotty in any FPS cant fucking stand the dudes who run around all day using them. To each their own but we'll see how it pans out come Oct.
Will be my pleasure to whoop someones ass who runs around using this thing. 😄

Perception and reality are two different things my friend ;) Titanfall is the type of game where any gun can be good in the right hands and I LOVE that. Feels so refreshing to have a sandbox without a strict meta.

Make me a mod for 1 minute and I'll do it
While you got the power bring back SwolBro while you're at it.
Will be my pleasure to whoop someones ass who runs around using this thing. ��
In other words you are completely unqualified to talk about shotgun balance.

Brakara

I think there is a good chance Attrition returns given the outcry from the fans.

I hope Frontier Defense comes back too, I still play that today.

Hope you're right about Attrition.

As for FD, I hope they do some more with it. One horde mode I think is underrated, is the one in Mass Effect 3, where you every 3 wave got an objective on the map so you couldn't just camp in one area all the time. For a mobility game, I think FD should make you actually use your mobility now and then, so applying something like that would be nice. Also, fighting your way across the map to a dropship and securing the area for extraction after the last wave could be fun.

This gif right here feels! The map, the skybox (are they placeholders in the tech-test maps?), the 1st person Titan interactions and speedy Titans... God please let Respawn nuke the 3rd person animations from fucking orbit.

20132410094858.gif

E92 M3

Looking at the IW mp trailer, I am just so happy we have Titanfall 2 coming. You can really tell when a game is made by super-talented developers.

Liamario

Banned
This gif right here feels! The map, the skybox (are they placeholders in the tech-test maps?), the 1st person Titan interactions and speedy Titans... God please let Respawn nuke the 3rd person animations from fucking orbit.

20132410094858.gif
My only issue with the third person animations is that the transition from third person to first person if very jarring. They should either have it as an optional thing, or have the third person camera follow the pilot into the titan and then into the pilots head (first person view).

-Ryn

Banned
Really interested to see the various Titans in action.

Ronin (BFS) and Tone (MMM) are probably gonna be my go to.

20132410094858.gif
The presentation and flow of Titanfall is one of the best out there.

Played that game the other day and had such a fucking blast. The way everything works together so smoothly is incredible. Really hope they bring back that feeling of immersion in T3 (assuming it happens.

E92 M3

Anyone worried that Respawn will change things no one wanted to change for the retail version? I hope the shooting/weapons feel the same in the end because it was perfect. Bungie did that for Halo 3 and Reach - hated it lol.

That said, there wasn't much of a difference between TF1 beta and retail.

Paranoia is setting in, but comes with the hype.

I think its safe to say I'll be spending the remaining of 2016 standing by for Titanfall
I wasn't impressed by the alpha. Bit of a letdown. But the Battlefield 1 beta ended up letting me down even more. So back to Titanfall it is.

20132410094858.gif
My god, that is gorgeous.

Engine thing i think somebody said in one of the alpha threads. As in the way they render titan interiors now has changed so they can't do that transition anymore. Something like that im paraphrasing.

That cant be it - developers would never absolutely remove a feature like that. SP campaign will be all third person too?

At least the DLC will be free. With enough demand, maybe we'll get the option.

The Battlefield 1 beta hasn't exactly set my world on fire, so I've been playing more of the original Titanfall.

For the Tech Test to roll out the way it did in week one, I just can't shake the feeling that there was some FUSE-tier focus test meddling on EA's part in this.

At this point, the things I'm loving in the first game that I'd like to see in Titanfall 2 are a lost cause. It'd take too much of an overhaul to reinstate the old shield/rodeo system, the custom Titan loadouts and weapon customizations (am I crazy or were these absent in the Tech Test, in favor of buffs like faster reloads, etc.?), carrying two weapons and an anti-titan weapon at the same time, and so on.

That said:

1) Another tweak to increase overall Pilot movement speed? With most of the bounty spawns appearing in parkour-unfriendly fringes of the maps in the test, it takes ages to truck over to them on foot. And movement overall still feels too slow.

2) In the longer term, maybe work a way to toggle a consistent first person perspective. It'd definitely be appreciated.

3) More varied maps down the line, that stray from the streamlined "3 lane" funnel design. More (much, much more) verticality, alley ways, interiors, and surfaces to reliably wallrun onto and off of would breathe a lot more excitement into matches.

4) Attrition. Please.

And in the hopes that we see a Titanfall 3:

1) Take Titanfall 1's gameplay and maps.
2) Add the slide and hook from 2.
3) Have a single player campaign.

Perfect.

Argonomic

That cant be it - developers would never absolutely remove a feature like that. SP campaign will be all third person too?

At least the DLC will be free. With enough demand, maybe we'll get the option.

It's not a technological issue. For Titanfall 2 we rebuilt the Titans at a higher fidelity. Since we were doing 3rd person embarks, their cockpits were built to look good in 3rd person, not to match seamlessly with first person.

Top Bottom