• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 PC Performance Thread

MaLDo

This game allows as max resolution your desktop resolution. I used the same trick as Killer Instinc through Autohotkey.

EDIT: Is not necessary. You only need to change desktop resolution once. Game will use the downsampled resolution after that.

dogen

Since when? Can someone like Durante confirm it? I use triple buffering whenever possible and I do not notice any judder.

Since forever. Triple buffering reduces latency(versus using both back buffers) by dropping the older one if another new frame is already ready. That results in uneven updates in animation, or judder.

If you really need "official" confirmation, here.

https://twitter.com/id_aa_carmack/status/190111153509249025

I also use it a lot and don't really notice it. Doesn't mean it's not there. Tbh, lots of people are probably used to it from growing up with 24 fps media on 60 hz TVs.

MaLDo

Since forever. Triple buffering reduces latency(versus using both back buffers) by dropping the older one if another new frame is already ready. That results in uneven updates in animation, or judder.

If you really need "official" confirmation, here.

https://twitter.com/id_aa_carmack/status/190111153509249025

I also use it a lot and don't really notice it. Doesn't mean it's not there. Tbh, lots of people are probably used to it from growing up with 24 fps media on 60 hz TVs.

But this info is misleading.

You can see inconsistent framepacing with triple buffer if your framerate is under refreshrate. But, using double buffer with those framerates, is not better. Having frametimes jumping from 16 to 33 ms is annoying too.

dogen

But this info is misleading.

You can see inconsistent framepacing with triple buffer if your framerate is under refreshrate. But, using double buffer with those framerates, is not better. Having frametimes jumping from 16 to 33 ms is annoying too.

What if you're rendering an inconsistent number of extra frames above the refresh?

Say going back and forth between 120 and 150. 120fps would give you an 8ms visual update of the game, and 150 would show a 4ms update. I don't know how noticeable that would be, but it is there.

MaLDo

What if you're rendering an inconsistent number of extra frames above the refresh?

Say going back and forth between 120 and 150. 120fps would give you an 8ms visual update of the game, and 150 would show a 4ms update. I don't know how noticeable that would be, but it is there.

The new frame is always showed every 16 ms (for 60 hz screen). And correct triple buffer means the frame showed is as new as possible. I can't see the problem.

Latest patch itroduced stutter for me on certain maps, like Drydock and Exoplanet. It pisses me off, 80+ fps and it stutters like crazy. This is why im always weary of "performance" patches.

dogen

The new frame is always showed every 16 ms (for 60 hz screen). And correct triple buffer means the frame showed is as new as possible. I can't see the problem.

Actually, thinking about this it seems you're right.

Cause if you're rendering 2 or 3 frames per refresh the last one should still show 16ms past since the last displayed one.

Anyway, I don't notice anything when I use it.

SimplexPL

Maybe I was unclear. What I meant is triple buffer + vsync (plus RTSS frame limiter set to refresh rate for good measure). Does such combo really cause judder?

MaLDo

Maybe I was unclear. What I meant is triple buffer + vsync (plus RTSS frame limiter set to refresh rate for good measure). Does such combo really cause judder?

If your framerate is over your refreshrate and the game doesn't have additional problems (streaming hitches for example), no. You will not have judder.

Latest patch itroduced stutter for me on certain maps, like Drydock and Exoplanet. It pisses me off, 80+ fps and it stutters like crazy. This is why im always weary of "performance" patches.
So it's not me just being crazy maybe?

Also, does anyone know how to tone down the bloody smoke effects and shit. Put effects to low but I still feel like it's a hog when running by a cloud.

robotrock

Banned
Uhhh my game just stopped launching today for some reason. Windows 10. Verified the install and everything. probably gonna redownload it.

Anyone else have the same issue?

Uhhh my game just stopped launching today for some reason. Windows 10. Verified the install and everything. probably gonna redownload it.

Anyone else have the same issue?
Happened to me. According to my friend it's not specific to this game on Origin. What fixed it? Opening and closing Origin and trying to launch it a billion times. If you ask me, redownloading is a waste of time. I'd try to restart your computer even.

robotrock

Banned
Happened to me. According to my friend it's not specific to this game on Origin. What fixed it? Opening and closing Origin and trying to launch it a billion times. If you ask me, redownloading is a waste of time. I'd try to restart your computer even.

Will try that. I was thinking it was an issue with Origin, but Battlefield 1 launched fine afterwards so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyone else have the game take a long time to boot to the title screen (like a minute or two)> Performance is perfect after that and it doesn't happen to other games but it's really annoying.

bwat47

Neo Member
Restart Origin or even PC. New Origin is really bad.

Yeah I don't know what they were thinking with that origin re-design.

The new UI is filled with incredibly laggy animations and it's buggy as hell in general (e.g. I frequently have to restart origin now because the game library page randomly stops displaying anything until I restart it)

SandTorso

So this game is actually playable on my Q6600 at 3.2GHz with 4GBs of RAM and a 4GB GTX 670. Getting around 40-60fps typically (1920x1200). Mind you this is on all low (AF on 8x), but hey, well below the minimum specs on the CPU and RAM front.

Pretty impressed with how well it runs all things considered. Hopefully the community keeps active.

Iced

I haven't found one report of players experiencing the dreaded blue screen of death (BSOD) while playing Titanfall 2. Surely I'm not the only one? My PC is entirely stable otherwise - overnight small FFTs run in Prime95 v279 produced no errors, and no other games give me any issues.

Edit: Did a bios update on my Asus Z170-A and tightened up my overclock a bit. So far, no BSODs. So maybe it was my overclock settings after all. Curious that Titanfall 2 of all things would reveal its instability.

So this game is actually playable on my Q6600 at 3.2GHz with 4GBs of RAM and a 4GB GTX 670. Getting around 40-60fps typically (1920x1200). Mind you this is on all low (AF on 8x), but hey, well below the minimum specs on the CPU and RAM front.

Pretty impressed with how well it runs all things considered. Hopefully the community keeps active.

Holy crap, Q6600!!!?

Based on the Nvidia performance guide I decided to try playing at 4K with the dynamic resolution. It works great! I really can't tell the difference and the game never drops more than a single frame. The dynamic resolution in Quantum Break, by comparison, looked like shit.

I haven't found one report of players experiencing the dreaded blue screen of death (BSOD) while playing Titanfall 2. Surely I'm not the only one? My PC is entirely stable otherwise - overnight small FFTs run in Prime95 v279 produced no errors, and no other games give me any issues.

Edit: Did a bios update on my Asus Z170-A and tightened up my overclock a bit. So far, no BSODs. So maybe it was my overclock settings after all. Curious that Titanfall 2 of all things would reveal its instability.

I've had overclocks that passed prime95, Intel burn test, and furmark runs with flying colors that was still unstable when it came to heavy gaming. You just never know until you get your system running full tilt in a real world usage scenario

Timeless

Is it even possible to play this on a 560 Ti 1 GB? I play at 1600x900.

AMD FX-6300
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz (9-9-9-24)

dr_rus

Based on the Nvidia performance guide I decided to try playing at 4K with the dynamic resolution. It works great! I really can't tell the difference and the game never drops more than a single frame. The dynamic resolution in Quantum Break, by comparison, looked like shit.

There is no dynamic resolution in Quantum Break.

SimplexPL

But these are two completely different uncomparable things.

I wish more PC versions had dynamic resolution. Why doesn't BF1 have one?

SimplexPL

It is, but the benefits of dynamic resolution are independent of optimization. You can take a perfectly optimized game and run it at a very high resolution and it will drop resolution virtually imperceptibly instead of framerate (which is much more noticeable). Hopefully someone suggests it to the team.

b0uncyfr0

So does the PC version have the same shaders/lighting/textures/effects as the PS4 Pro version or is it using the assets from the OG PS4 ?

SimplexPL

"same shaders/lighting/textures/effects as the PS4 Pro"

How do you know that shaders/lighting/textures/effects in the PS4 Pro version are different than in the "old" PS4 version?

I'm so glad I found this thread! Maybe you guys can help!

Okay, so I have no idea what's going on.

I have a GTX 970, i5-2500K @ 4.0, and 32 GB of RAM. I simply cannot play the single-player without the FPS dipping below 60 a lot. I saw Digital Foundry's XONE and PS4 video, and they run at 60 no problem. Why the heck is my system not able to hold a 60, even at medium?

I go to default settings, turn off AO, dial everything back by 1 (textures from Very High to High, and so forth).

Also, maybe it's normal for my older hardware? I get 60, but during heavy firefights it drops to around 50ish. I was just wondering, since on DF's videos they show that the consoles are locked at 60, even during heavy gameplay.

SimplexPL

Use MSI afterburner to check your GPU and CPU usage during the drops. If you cpu usage is approaching 100% but your gpu usage is way below 100% it means you are CPU limited. If it's other way round, you are GPU limited.
Are you using the dynamic resolution feature?

I switch in and out of it, trying to see if either one would fix the problem. I don't notice a difference between on and off.

I used Afterburner earlier to measure the temperatures and usage, the CPU never got over 50ish,℅ and the GPU was at 70-100℅.

Mupod

has anything been said elsewhere about SLI support yet?

I'm kind of used to the flickering lights now, but I'd rather they be gone.

dr_rus

So... did they completely remove MSAA option in the last patch? It's TSAA only for me now and I can't even disable it.

I switch in and out of it, trying to see if either one would fix the problem. I don't notice a difference between on and off.

I used Afterburner earlier to measure the temperatures and usage, the CPU never got over 50ish,℅ and the GPU was at 70-100℅.
I'd also check what clock speed your GPU was running at during load. It might be the case that it's downclocking to keep it below 80C.

Also, keep in mind consoles don't run anywhere near max PC settings. I don't know the exact settings on PC that give the same IQ as consoles, though. If you're getting IQ that's worse than consoles with that setup, there probably is something going on.
Huh, didn't check this, will look again. The patch seems to have reset the settings as this wasn't how I left them previously.
Yeah, the patch reset a lot of settings, including FoV. If you want to use MSAA again, just turn the adaptive resolution slider down to 0, and then you can change your AA option.

Top Bottom