• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 PC Performance Thread

Izuna

Banned
I can't disable the antialiasing anymore (Greyed out with TSAA on), what am i missing?

turn off the dynamic resolution scaling (0)

--

It's so annoying, I can get this at like 900p running 60fps at like 80% except for some scenes and combat. Combat dropping to 40s is fine, but I feel like there is something I can do here.

It's so close to being perfectttt

I wish I had that more expensive Surface Book now ;(

That didn't work either. Get error message "Resolution not supported?" I try to downsample 1440 to 1080..
Ah, sorry, I thought you were just trying to set your native resolution. I don't think there's a way to get DSR working at the moment. I tried editing videoconfig.txt, but that didn't work.

Izuna

Banned
mat_disable_bloom 1
mat_specular 0
mat_bumpmap 0
r_dynamic 0

hehe

~

I'll share screenshots, but I got this running really nicely now, constant 60fps in that one place in the campaign

Iced

Anyone who was getting crashes with the game care to share your experience with the new patch? I'll try to do the same if I can get a couple of rounds in tonight.

Edit: Here's what I found after two games of Attrition. First game was flawless. I quit out of the game (and Origin), did something else for 5 minutes, then decided to play again. 2nd round was a choppy mess. Constant stuttering. What's curious is the chop seems to correlate with my ping, which was bouncing all over the place - usually in the 30-40ms area, but then quickly spiking into the red and then back into green again.

I should note: the game did not crash. I also only played two full multiplayer games.

Really hoping these issues get ironed out soon. I am dying to sink my teeth into the game, but it's just not quite there yet!

Izuna

Banned
How do i do that?

if it works like the first game

Set ingame antialiasing to 4xMSAA or 8xMSAA, exit game.
Open Titanfall driver profile via NVIDIA Inspector.
Change Antialiasing - Transparency Supersampling to 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling or 8x Sparse Grid Supersampling depending on ingame MSAA setting (they must match)
No need to change anything else. Apply changes, exit NVIDIA Inspector and run the game.

--

remove dynamic resolution by moving the slider towards 0 -- this will allow you to change the AA

Change Antialiasing - Transparency Supersampling to 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling or 8x Sparse Grid Supersampling depending on ingame MSAA setting (they must match)
No need to change anything else. Apply changes, exit NVIDIA Inspector and run the game.

--

remove dynamic resolution by moving the slider towards 0 -- this will allow you to change the AA

Make sure you set aa mode to enhance in-game. The quality of sgssaa depends entirely on how well msaa is implemented tho.

TheRed

--

Thanks I'll give it a try.

Freiya

Game is running really good @ 4k with that dynamic res turned on. It looks great too I didn't expect it to actually look this much nicer than Titanfall. I guess having better textures goes a long way. I was getting 50 fps without the dynamic res turned on with my 980 ti sli/16gig/4790k @ 4.6 Using titanfall 1 sli bits. I hope the official sli comes out soon so I can turn this dynamic res off though I really don't notice it much.

Playing on a 980ti/4790k both overclocked, turned of AO and the shadow options to low as I struggle to tell the difference and want to the extra frames. Frame rate goes anywhere from 70-144, I would guess my average is probably around 100fps at 1440p. Still get a little bit of stuttering, choppiness from time to time so it's not perfect, but nothing that detracts from my overall enjoyment. Playing on a PG279Q monitor, great game.

SimplexPL

Use SGSSAA instead

Did you confirm it working? Unlike DX9, few DX10/11 games support SGSSAA.

I guess having better textures goes a long way. .

How are they better? Texture quality even on the highest "Insane" setting is horrendous - and it uses 4 gig os vram:

http://imgur.com/a/qKuAp
http://imgur.com/a/Jj55I

This is late 90s quality of textures. Any chance this is a bug?

Really weird and sucks that you can't downsample in this game. Has anyone figured out a way?
As usual with games that do not support downsampling - switch the desktop resolution to the one you want to downsample form.

TheRed

Did you confirm it working? Unlike DX9, few DX10/11 games support SGSSAA.

How are they better? Texture quality even on the highest "Insane" setting is horrendous - and it uses 4 gig os vram:

http://imgur.com/a/qKuAp
http://imgur.com/a/Jj55I

This is late 90s quality of textures. Any chance this is a bug?

As usual with games that do not support downsampling - switch the desktop resolution to the one you want to downsample form.
I tried that and it still wouldn't work for some reason.

Is contrast totally jacked for anyone else? The brightness bar has no icons to indicate what is the right level, and bright skyboxes are totally blown out while shadows are very dark

Moldiver

Also anyone getting this ghosting/screen burn issue where the first image you see at the start of a level just stays on the screen...I'm thinking I should just delete and reinstall this.

the wall in front is also on the grass and as i move the image moves with me. Also causes the game to look horrible when it happens.

9kzqPw8.jpg

Sullichin

Any reason anti aliasing options are greyed out for me now (on a 970) ? I use TSAA anyway but after driver update/game update (not sure which one) the option to change it is disabled for me

Any reason anti aliasing options are greyed out for me now (on a 970) ? I use TSAA anyway but after driver update/game update (not sure which one) the option to change it is disabled for me

Reduce the frame rate target to 0 and that'll unlock the anti-aliasing options.

It's working but the results are rather meh considering the performance cost. It may be better if you tweak mip lod manually, haven't tried that.

Its not going to help the aliasing. Sgssaa works in all dx11 titles that have msaa. The problem is that since only enhance app setting works in dx11 sgssaa relies on the quality of the games msaa implementation. Quickly off the top of my head, only crysis 3 comes to mind as a proper implementation.

Right, but you can just use fast sync now.

Fast sync is kind of broken. Causes microstutter

dr_rus

Its not going to help the aliasing. Sgssaa works in all dx11 titles that have msaa. The problem is that since only enhance app setting works in dx11 sgssaa relies on the quality of the games msaa implementation. Quickly off the top of my head, only crysis 3 comes to mind as a proper implementation.

It's Source, it's not even deferred or anything more modern, what's there to implement in MSAA? The issue is that the game's general aliasing is pretty bad, including shader and silhouettes aliasing which even a heavy downsampling probably won't cure. This is more of a design and art issue than the tech's although something like TAA (not the in game one which is pretty awful in my opinion) or FXAA will probably handle it quite well.

I need to try injecting SMAA into TF2 in addition to game's own MSAA.

dogen

Fast sync is kind of broken. Causes microstutter

I use it a lot and I don't notice any problems. Do you mean judder? That's a normal side effect of triple buffering.

It's Source, it's not even deferred or anything more modern, what's there to implement in MSAA? The issue is that the game's general aliasing is pretty bad, including shader and silhouettes aliasing which even a heavy downsampling probably won't cure. This is more of a design and art issue than the tech's although something like TAA (not the in game one which is pretty awful in my opinion) or FXAA will probably handle it quite well.

I need to try injecting SMAA into TF2 in addition to game's own MSAA.

I thought they modified it to a deferred renderer? Not 100 on it but thought i had rwad it somewhere.

I use it a lot and I don't notice any problems. Do you mean judder? That's a normal side effect of triple buffering.

Yeah. Microstutter/judder/uneven frame pacing

I'm not even sure it's film grain you know. I'll see what I can find but rn no one knows.
At least, mat_grain_enable 0 (which was the only obvious option that stood out to me) did nothing. I haven't tried with any of the more esoteric lighting options, which might impact it.
How do I set adaptive resolution? Want to hit a consistent 60fps, but it's hard at 2560x1440.
Turn on TSAA and then user the slider directly above the AA options to set adaptive resolution to target 60FPS.

Turn on TSAA and then user the slider directly above the AA options to set adaptive resolution to target 60FPS.
Oh, I don't know why I hadn't noticed the slider before. So it had been working the whole time. I don't ever notice the resolution change, and I'm still getting some tearing.

Tried the new update on my 1080p laptop with a GTX 960m 2GB, and god damn, I'm actually taken aback by the performance. Everything except Spot Shadow Detail on High including Textures, with AO on and Triple Buffered Vsync. Getting between 55 - 60 FPS, with no dips below 50 outside of the heaviest moments.

Dropping to medium textures (honestly isn't that much of a downgrade) and disabling AO has the performance sitting right under 60. Adaptive resolution is an amazing addition.

On my desktop with a 970, max settings with Very High textures and adaptive res pretty much gives me a perfect experience. Also 1080p.

SimplexPL

Since when? Can someone like Durante confirm it? I use triple buffering whenever possible and I do not notice any judder.

riflen

Since when? Can someone like Durante confirm it? I use triple buffering whenever possible and I do not notice any judder.

Nvidia's Fast Sync is meant to be used in a particular circumstance really. High frame rates, way above display refresh rate and where the lowest control latency is desired. That way you can play something like CS:GO at 300 fps on a 60 Hz display without tearing and with pretty low latency input response.

If you're using Fast Sync, then the problem will come when your frame rate is similar to the display refresh rate, or maybe even below and varying strongly. Then when the fast sync algorithm throws away (< 16.7ms frametimes) or repeats (>16.7ms frametimes) frames, you may notice it in the form of stutters or hitches. Once again, its goal is to prevent tearing and keep input latency down by allowing the engine to run at full tilt.

Triple buffering for DirectX was extremely uncommon until Fast Sync was available. The only way to force it in a Windows game was to run in a windowed mode. What was often referred to as triple buffering in games and utilities was in fact a render queue and does not cause what's described above but is rubbish for latency sensitive games.

Top Bottom