• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall on PC will have controller aim assist

Hari Seldon

It's using the same servers as the XOne.

Oh ok, so they have dedicated servers, just not community ones. That is ok, not great but I can live with it I guess.

As far as aim assist goes, I guess I don't care as long as the mouse controls are implemented properly and not that garbage consolitus weird mouse acceleration stuff from some ports I have seen last gen.

KarmaCow

Aim assist only goes so far into closing the gap between KB&M, but since the game is made for the console audience I doubt the extra dexterity from using a mouse to turn will matter much.

great news, Day one for me now as I was planning on playing this through my plasma anyways, wish more devs did this as controllers become more common on PC now

Jito

Banned
Some pretty melodramatic responses in here to this. Why would you be bothered by controller users getting something to help them out a bit? You still realise that you'll be mopping the floor with them if you use KB&M. Unless you're just crap with the KB&M and that's why you're all worried...

Sounds like a good extra as sometimes I just wanna kick back and play some games with a controller. I don't see how that spells the decay of gaming or ruins the game at all, but a thread ain't good without some tears being shed.

2San

Isn't it common for PC games with Xbox pad support to include aim assist when using that pad?

It's not like an aim assisted pad is more precice than mouse/kb. Aim assist doesn't offer a competitive advantage.
It's pretty damn common for games that support the 360 controller, I have no idea why people are making news out of this. BF3 and BF4 have aim assist on controllers for example.

This would be interesting if there would be separate servers or playlists for controller only gamers.

Shadowfall can be possible without aimassist because every player have the same input method.

PC gaming had been always based on options and possibilities. Controller/comfy/TV players are raising every year and PC gaming must offer a place where they can play. Aim assist is a must when controllers play against mouses. And there is nothing wrong with it.

Duke Nukem 3D had aimassist in PC playing with keyboard a few decades ago. Same for Doom. What do you think about that?

Yep. Not every game needs to be an aiming game, as in point-and-click. It can still be skill-based via movement.

teokrazia

I like to play from the bed, on my 84 inches TV, with my smartphone as input device. Can I have a swipe for 180 turn/crouch jump/strafe jump and a tap for advanced bindings selection?

Deadbeat

Banned
Some pretty melodramatic responses in here to this. Why would you be bothered by controller users getting something to help them out a bit? You still realise that you'll be mopping the floor with them if you use KB&M. Unless you're just crap with the KB&M and that's why you're all worried...

Sounds like a good extra as sometimes I just wanna kick back and play some games with a controller. I don't see how that spells the decay of gaming or ruins the game at all, but a thread ain't good without some tears being shed.
You havent read the thread I guess. People were talking about how in Crysis 2 people were using the controller auto aim applied to mouse aiming.
Yep. Not every game needs to be an aiming game, as in point-and-click. It can still be skill-based via movement.
If you have to reach back to when games were technically limited such as doom then you have failed in your argument.
High speed traversal is better on Kb/m anyway.
Mirrors edge worked really well with mouse and keyboard.

Nabs

It's pretty damn common for games that support the 360 controller, I have no idea why people are making news out of this. BF3 and BF4 have aim assist on controllers for example.

This would be interesting if there would be separate servers or playlists for controller only gamers.

Err.. I don't think so.

2San

You havent read the thread I guess. People were talking about how in Crysis 2 people were using the controller auto aim applied to mouse aiming.
That was during the beta, because crytech didn't turn it off for mouse aiming. As I said before PC BF3/BF4 have auto aim.
Err.. I don't think so.
If that's true, then I'm amazing with the controller.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
This is actually pretty cool and furthers my bafflement into why no one has even attempted to come up with a comfortable, small form, mouse based control solution. Something like a bluetooth mouse with 7 buttons and a Nunchuck with 3.

That sounds amazing. I'd kill for analog motion with the precision of a mouse.

Jito

Banned

If you have to reach back to when games were technically limited such as doom then you have failed in your argument.

I have read the thread actually. Pretty sure someone said it was unintended glitch and they removed it instead of fixing the issue. I imagine Respawn will be trying not to leave any glitches in and nothing as game breaking as that, fingers crossed. So other than a glitch in Crysis 2, what other reasons are there that this shouldn't happen? lol

Opiate

Well yeah, obviously on paper you can objectively prove that joysticks are a less effective input method than KB/M.

I can't speak for others, but for me it's only about personal preference in regards of ergonomics. I will always prioritize gamepad because my hands feel more relaxed.

I definitely understand this, and also agree that it's good to have the option.

I do have some worries about cross-play servers, however. Surely you can see why this would be frustrating for some M/KB users. I think the best option is to keep the two server types separate, personally. Just as I'm sure you don't enjoy getting clobbered by M/KB users, I doubt M/KB users will enjoy a "level playing field" that is only leveled because controller users are given extra benefits and assistance that aren't offered to M/KB users.

DocSeuss

Let it go dude, EA are not going to let their biggest release of the year appear on their rivals digital distribution platform.

It's not up to EA.

Mirrors edge worked really well with mouse and keyboard.

The best shooters have always been about movement. One of the reasons Halo 4 is so poorly received compared to other games in the series is because its level design doesn't empower the player to move as freely as they did in other games. Movement is a big deal in first-person games of any kind--the biggest. It's literally the most important aspect. Pointing and shooting is a subgenre of a larger mechanical system.

nynt9

Well yeah, obviously on paper you can objectively prove that joysticks are a less effective input method than KB/M.

I can't speak for others, but for me it's only about personal preference in regards of ergonomics. I will always prioritize gamepad because my hands feel more relaxed.

I don't want to push the issue too much because your preference is your preference, but if you're experiencing discomfort when using KB/M, you might want to look into different keyboards/mice, there are ergonomic options available.

Back on thread, I kind of fear that they will make the autoaim so broken that it will be more effective than using a KB/M.

Awesome news. Never understood why this wasn't a standard. I mean the user interface literally changes based on joypad or keyboard and mouse inputs, so if they can accomplish that off the fly in game then a simple aim assist on/off toggle shouldn't be difficult.

As far as people trying to find ways to rig auto-aim for mouse and keyboard--so fucking what? There are fucking nerds using autobots as it is. If there are a few scrubs who want to be try hard cheaters then let them, but at least this allows a larger community of players to enjoy the PC version.

KJRS_1993

It's not unfair against people who choose to use an inferior method of control input. Letting them cheat isn't cool.

I'm sure you'll learn to get over it mate - I'm more than happy that more people can play and be competitive rather than using a control method which doesn't work for them. If you want to use auto-aim, you're more than welcome to pick up a controller yourself.

Deadbeat

Banned
I have read the thread actually. Pretty sure someone said it was unintended glitch and they removed it instead of fixing the issue. I imagine Respawn will be trying not to leave any glitches in and nothing as game breaking as that, fingers crossed. So other than a glitch in Crysis 2, what other reasons are there that this shouldn't happen? lol
I never said it shouldnt happen. If people want to use controllers on PC against mouse than go for it. But how good is a peripheral if it has to be slathered with compensation for its limitations? As long as those players are on the other team, im fine with it.
The best shooters have always been about movement. One of the reasons Halo 4 is so poorly received compared to other games in the series is because its level design doesn't empower the player to move as freely as they did in other games. Movement is a big deal in first-person games of any kind--the biggest. It's literally the most important aspect. Pointing and shooting is a subgenre of a larger mechanical system.
If movement is such an issue then Keyboard and mouse is even better suited. Go watch all the jump trick videos in Quake 3 or Tribes.

Kydd BlaZe

This changes everything. Was already planning on double dipping, with the XB1 version being my main platform. Now I feel much more comfortable about the PC version. I already played BF3 and I still play BF4 on PC with a controller, so this is certainly good news for me.

DocSeuss

I'm sure you'll learn to get over it mate - I'm more than happy that more people can play and be competitive rather than using a control method which doesn't work for them. If you want to use auto-aim, you're more than welcome to pick up a controller yourself.

I'd rather be responsible for my own successes than let the computer do some of the playing for me. Otherwise, I might as well download an aimbot.

If movement is such an issue then Keyboard and mouse is even better suited. Go watch all the jump trick videos in Quake 3 or Tribes.

Absolutely.

Jito

Banned
I never said it shouldnt happen. If people want to use controllers on PC against mouse than go for it. But how good is a peripheral if it has to be slathered with compensation for its limitations? As long as those players are on the other team, im fine with it.

Maybe go back and read my original comment then seeing as I said the same thing. It's good for those who want to use it and I will be using it at times regardless of the disadvantage. The controller will be as good at playing FPS games as it has been for the last decade? It's nothing new to play an FPS with a controller and aim assist. My expectation is that it will have split lobbies as versus KB&M would be very unfair.

Admittedly a technical limitation of that time, just like the couch controller scheme is today. But my point was, the game can be designed to work around it. Doom is basically a First Person SHMUP. And TF puts high emphasis on player movement as well.

KJRS_1993

I'd rather be responsible for my own successes than let the computer do some of the playing for me. Otherwise, I might as well download an aimbot.

Letting the computer do some of the playing for you is a bit of an exaggeration and you know it man. Chill. More options is only a good thing. I think we can both agree that unless you're very good on a controller, Keyboard and Mouse will still be more precise.

And also remember this game is from the creators of Call of Duty. It's not meant to be an ultra competitive experience. It's meant to be a lark that anybody can enjoy. What about for example people suffering from disabilities who can't use KB/M but can use a gamepad? They can now enjoy Titanfall also. I find KB/M uncomfortable personally, I can now sit back and enjoy the game on a TV.

If you want to have a Keyboard/Mouse only, competitive match, I'm sure their will be options for private games.

MutFox

Banned
I think this will be good for controller players to be playing against and with KB/M players.
It might challenge them to change their tactics, or who knows, maybe it'll get them to try KB/M.
Either case, the skill level of those controller players will most likely go up.

And people saying CoD was never meant to be played competitively...
CoD4 was pretty competitive on PC. (Also the last CoD to not split the community with DLC on PC.)

Too bad about there being no community servers.
Loved having servers that had good mods to get rid of the trolls and cheaters.
Hopefully voteban and votekick are enabled for the community to self mod itself.

2San

This changes everything. Was already planning on double dipping, with the XB1 version being my main platform. Now I feel much more comfortable about the PC version. I already played BF3 and I still play BF4 on PC with a controller, so this is certainly good news for me.
Battlefield 3 and 4 has some aim assist on the PC right? I was pretty sure it did, but because of gaffers I am now doubting myself.

KJRS_1993

And people saying CoD was never meant to be played competitively...
CoD4 was pretty competitive on PC. (Also the last CoD to not split the community with DLC on PC.)

CoD 4 was six years ago man. The size of the audience for video games has ballooned since then! And Call of Duty itself has changed a whole lot in that six years. Can't believe it was that long ago!

.nimrod

I don't mind that there's some aim assist for gamepad users, but i do fear the potential exploits that might come out of this.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Oh whatever. Thats fine. They're still not going to hold a candle to kb+m players, AND on the off chance I ever just wanna chill out with a joypad it won't play like shit. Its a good idea. Plus, Titanball is all bombast anyway its not some insane high level competitive game.

Zemm

Sounds about right. I'm sticking with KB/M tho. Unless Traversal is /really/ key in this game. idk

If traversal is key then surely sticking with kb+mouse would make sense? You can't move half as well with a gamepad.

Even with the aim assist (assuming it's like CoD4) those people are going to get slaughtered. I'd honestly be more worried about getting gamepad users on my team.

falconbox

Banned
depends on map traversal.

Shooting will still have the edge on KB/M, however map traversal (especially with the jetpack vertical element) will always be dominated by thumbsticks on a controller. Unless people still like moving around in 3D space using only 4 directions tied to WASD. Give me 360 degree freedom of movement any day.

vazel

Banned

Shooting will still have the edge on KB/M, however map traversal (especially with the jetpack vertical element) will always be dominated by thumbsticks on a controller. Unless people still like moving around in 3D space using only 4 directions tied to WASD. Give me 360 degree freedom of movement any day.
Have you played Tribes on PC?

Seance

Banned
Will they be able to play against KB/M users by default? Or will they have their own segregated servers, which are separate but equal?

This has never been a good idea outside of minimising ping latency.
Gonna try out the old 360 pad but might just stick with kb/m any way. My aim will suffer some with a pad but my map movement could probably be way better, lol.

Deadbeat

Banned
Shooting will still have the edge on KB/M, however map traversal (especially with the jetpack vertical element) will always be dominated by thumbsticks on a controller.
Have you ever played any tribes games? Or even Planetside 2? You are wrong.

edit: beaten.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Aim assist makes you worse in any game that has location-based damage modifiers, something a modern game of this sort will have. Well, I suppose their aim assist could always go for headshots but what are the odds of that?

Try doing these on a thumbstick.. Also, even if a thumbstick was somehow better at 'map traversal', the difference in aiming between a mouse and a thumbstick is so big that KB+M would still have a massive advantage.

Grief.exe

Will be modded out in the first hour of the game being live. Don't need none of that nonsense.

Not necessarily, the servers are controlled by Microsoft and won't be player-run in the traditional sense.

Its more likely that they will be modded into a Mouse setup, essentially giving players an aim bot. That is what happened in Crysis 2.

Top Bottom