• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall preload up on Origin (NA)

Uncompressed audio tracks can be 2-2.5GB. Now I imagine that they have all the languages in there (dubbed). Seeing how the beta had like 10 different languages already I can believe it.
Teenage me of 15 years ago's brain is exploding at the idea of how an oldschool .raw before manual conversion to something compressed is about 25 hours of bit-by-bit 0s and 1s audio. Not even a dual-audio visual novel JRPG is going to have that much audio time and it still doesn't explain the lack of compression. I admit that the idea of including 10 audio tracks on an NA-spec download file is rather progressive, at least!

Edit: I guess if they made everything 5.1 (7.1?) despite so-totally-not-needing-to-be and oversampled the hell out of it you could get to 34gb a lot faster but it's still inexplicable that it's uncompressed.

One must assume that the XB1 and 360 versions have compressed audio as surely they wouldn't waste the disc space (or in the case of the 360 the space doesn't exist at all), so why not here? God, I feel sorry for anyone with download caps.

Can someone explain to me why a game needs uncompressed audio? I own a $1000 headphone setup at home and I cannot tell the difference between 512kbps mp3 and loss-less, and that is for symphonies, not stupid game sounds that are going to be heard through shitty speaker setups anyway.
I envy your ears if you can spot any difference between 512 and lossless no matter what the contents of the file are. But seriously, even the most trained ear isn't going to be able to distinguish even 256 in some video game audio. I don't understand.

I saw a 250GB Samsung 840 Evo for $140 on Newegg the other day. People should get something like that and they can fit Titanfall. When not using Titanfall, just move it to a HDD.

Hari Seldon

Can someone explain to me why a game needs uncompressed audio? I own a $1000 headphone setup at home and I cannot tell the difference between 512kbps mp3 and loss-less, and that is for symphonies, not stupid game sounds that are going to be heard through shitty speaker setups anyway.

Nothing like the uncompressed sound of the Titan falling from the sky, or the sound of a Titan ripping a human out of another Titan.

thejpfin

For some weird reason all the publishers have decided that Tuesday is the day to release retail games in Europe. .

Kinda off-topic, but Dark Souls 2 EU release date is next Friday, not Tuesday.
Not all publishers have that Tuesday EU release thing.

Hey guys. I've never bought from origin before but how long does it take for them to approve my card? I've had a dollar charge since last night.

49.99 GB. That's why I ordered the PC disc release. Unless EA pulls a fast one and it's just a code for Origin.
With it being an online-only multiplayer game I could see it only having part of the game on disc and having the remaining data downloaded via Origin. I could see EA cutting costs by doing this instead of shipping the game on 6 or 7 DVD's.

Hey guys. I've never bought from origin before but how long does it take for them to approve my card? I've had a dollar charge since last night.

They came seconds apart for me, but in the pending category if I'm looking at my card's activity.

TheUsual

Gold Member
With it being an online-only multiplayer game I could see it only having part of the game on disc and having the remaining data downloaded via Origin. I could see EA cutting costs by doing this instead of shipping the game on 6 or 7 DVD's.

Possible. I did by the Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Collection on disc and was impressed how they fit it into two dvds (iirc DAO Ultimate is ~25GB). They must be using some good compression techniques and I hope they do the same for Titanfall.

venne

NitQJcQ.png

lol

I want to pre load because I know I want the game. However, it makes me a bit weary, I've never preloaded before. Does it give me the option after check out? Does pre load mean the acutal game is on my HDD? Does it unlock at midnight or does it unlock at noon?

isb

Banned
I want to pre load because I know I want the game. However, it makes me a bit weary, I've never preloaded before. Does it give me the option after check out? Does pre load mean the acutal game is on my HDD? Does it unlock at midnight or does it unlock at noon?
As soon as you have bought it on origin you get the option to preload, it preloads the whole game unto your harddrive and then the second it releases(midnight i guess) you get to download the last few KB's to unlock the game and start it up.

As soon as you have bought it on origin you get the option to preload, it preloads the whole game unto your harddrive and then the second it releases(midnight i guess) you get to download the last few KB's to unlock the game and start it up.

Thats awesome, thanks. Im glade you mentioned the thing about having to download some KB's. I was wondering how they kept people from just playing the game

Whats the point of compressing and decompressing audio files? You're apparently converting 10gigs of audio into 34gigs, it doesn't make any sense because the quality is not going to change.

I am in N/A and it won't let me preload...am I missing something? I just hover over the game and I should be given the option, right?

Sonofabitch

Pre-purchased the game from gamestop on their digital service, what a POS.

They are claiming they won't have codes untill release day.

Don't anyone use them, only reason I did was because of a deal back in Sept.

Freki

That's one thing Origin has over Steam, download speeds do seem to be quite a bit faster.

But in reality they are not - Origin just calculates your "download" speed relative to the unpacked game size instead of the amount that is really downloaded.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Preloading now, cheers for the tip about using the VPN/shutting it off, getting good speeds :)

I assume come Monday night/Tuesday you can just use the same method to get the play button to appear ?

Zornack

Sonofabitch

Pre-purchased the game from gamestop on their digital service, what a POS.

They are claiming they won't have codes untill release day.

Don't anyone use them, only reason I did was because of a deal back in Sept.

How big was the deal? You could probably get it canceled and pre-order it somewhere else that'll get you a code today if you don't mind missing out on whatever the deal was.

That's one thing Origin has over Steam, download speeds do seem to be quite a bit faster.

It's because the download speed they are reporting is a bit of a lie, just like the total download size being reported as 49GB. They are downloading 20GB but calculating what the data rate is *after* being uncompressed. It technically isn't wrong but it's also misleading.

Well it's currently unpacking around 34gb of audio for me, so that leaves ~16GB for the rest of the data.

Well...

Besides if the full game is anything like that beta then most of that space is made up of sound.

Called it.

But in reality they are not - Origin just calculates your "download" speed relative to the unpacked game size instead of the amount that is really downloaded.

Considering the speed in which I just supposedly downloaded 20 gigs of data, I would say in reality, it is faster than what I have seen via steam.

Download went smoothly enough... now just waiting for that unlock clock to wind down... And I don't even have any grunts to farm to help with that :(

Superflat

Titanfall is preloaded. I need to free up some more space :l

Origins said I was downloading at 9MB/s, which is fucking nuts. The fastest I've gotten out of Steam is 4MB/s.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Titanfall is preloaded. I need to free up some more space :l

Origins said I was downloading at 9MB/s, which is fucking nuts. The fastest I've gotten out of Steam is 4MB/s.

I believe Origin is telling you the size of the data post-decompression.

Top Bottom