• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall Xbox One Bundle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh that's unfortunate. I suppose we wait and see if Sony gives away infamous. I know sony is in a better position but I cant imagine considering what the xbox one has accomplished to be a failure.

IPhones of all generations have sold very well, and considered successful by most measures.

If iPhone 6 only barely sold better than the iPhone 4, his head is going to be put on the chopping block despite it being successful.

What is a success doesn't always look as simple as they are.

tuna_love

Banned
It'd make more sense to buy the console and game separately as you'll get more value in the long run if you should decide to sell on TF.

So instead of me paying $599 AU for console and digital game, I should pay $599 AU for console and $99 AU for physical game and get $28 AU for a trade in when I am done with it. How much can I save doing this?

Same reason why Wii Sports came with Wii, Knack bundled with PS4 in Japan. BL2 bundled with Vita2000 etc.

When you buy a brand new console, cost is a major factor. Every time they bundle accessories, games with it.. the day1 cost for consumers will be lower. Instead of paying $616 (with taxes), just for $550 I could play titan fall on day 1. I am saving $65.

MS would have to pre-purchase that many licenses/copies from EA. So it is a guaranteed sale for EA, irrespective of attach rate, review scores etc. It is a win-win for every one. EA is happy, Consumers are happy, MS is happy because it can sell more xbox ones.

Good points, but I'd argue you're not really saving $65 as you lose resale value of the game. It's a short term gain for a long term lose.

If TF is the success MS and EA hope it will be, it'll likely retain its value in the same way CoD or GTA retain their value for months after launch...that would make TF a good resell/trade in game and by buying this bundle, you're losing that benefit.

So instead of me paying $599 AU for console and digital game, I should pay $599 AU for console and $99 AU for physical game and get $28 AU for a trade in when I am done with it. How much can I save doing this?

Games are $99 new in AUS? The hell?

Okay, maybe it's actually not as bad as I thought it was if that's the RRP of games in AUS.

bebop242

How what? You buy the console and game separately, enjoy Titanfall and when you've had enough, you sell or trade the game on.

Most of them are yeah, but that's why I think it'd make more sense to buy the console and game separately. This bundle is essentially pointless as it offers no real value.

Kid walks up and sees a ps4 (if its in stock lol) and a xbox one with the hottest game around included on the shelf. That 100 dollar difference is now 40 and worth it to play the hottest game.

iMax

IPhones of all generations have sold very well, and considered successful by most measures.

If iPhone 6 only barely sold better than the iPhone 4, his head is going to be put on the chopping block despite it being successful.

What is a success doesn't always look as simple as they are.

SWEaT19.gif

That seems...uh, really lazy. Standard everything + digital code, not much of a bundle unless it's $500.

The leaked design looked like a piece of junk. I have a coworker who before the beta was like "Nope, I'm never buying an Xbox One". After hearing about Titanfall, he's dying to buy one and wanted to buy a Titanfall bundle, but he didn't want to buy the Xbox One that leaked because he thought it looked ugly.

It's something neat a few years into the system, but right now when they are just trying to get off ground floor, they just need to sell standard xbox ones in this bundle that are appealing to most people.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
Good points, but I'd argue you're not really saving $65 as you lose resale value of the game. It's a short term gain for a long term lose.

If TF is the success MS and EA hope it will be, it'll likely retain its value in the same way CoD or GTA retain their value for months after launch...that would make TF a good resell/trade in game and by buying this bundle, you're losing that benefit.

If TF is a success like COD no one will want to trade it in for 3 years till next one comes out.

The game is free anyway you lose nothing.

Kid walks up and sees a ps4 (if its in stock lol) and a xbox one with the hottest game around included on the shelf. That 100 dollar difference is now 40 and worth it to play the hottest game.

That's assuming TF will be the hottest game around when it launches. We're also forgetting that Sony are launching their Infamous bundle around the same time, so it's not like there won't be a competing Sony bundle on the shelf, one that'll offer a similar level of value. (if it's not sold out of course)

If TF is a success like COD no one will want to trade it in for 3 years till next one comes out.

The game is free anyway you lose nothing.

True enough when you factor in the insane game prices in AUS.

coldone

MS/EA is focusing on consumers who would play TF for another 9 months or more. Keep the on-line community healthy, buy XBL gold, buy the extra DLC content packs etc.

Vast majority of people who buy COD never trade-it in. Lot of them buy season passes and keep playing it for months together.

May be a small % of people may trade-it in after 30 day XBL gold expires. But those are not the ones they are trying to attract with this bundle. Those guys can wait for black Friday sales. :)

iMax

That's assuming TF will be the hottest game around when it launches. We're also forgetting that Sony are launching their Infamous bundle around the same time, so it's not like there won't be a competing Sony bundle on the shelf, one that'll offer a similar level of value. (if it's not sold out of course)

Theirs is priced higher than the stock PS4 though.

MS/EA is focusing on consumers who would play TF for another 9 months or more. Keep the on-line community healthy, buy XBL gold, buy the extra DLC content packs etc.

Vast majority of people who buy COD never trade-it in. Lot of them buy season passes and keep playing it for months together.

May be a small % of people may trade-it in after 30 day XBL gold expires. But those are not the ones they are trying to attract with this bundle. Those guys can wait for black Friday sales. :)

Very good points, I'd actually forgotten about the extras like season passes, maps, etc.

Theirs is priced higher than the stock PS4 though.

Isn't it £385 for the Infamous bundle? Not sure how much it is in AUS, but it surely can't be more than the price of this bundle...

Doffen

You are saving full price no matter how you spin the bottle, it's not like the game will cost less on Xbox Store and there are consumer (including me) that will buy the game that way.

I bet most consumers buying Xbox One with Titanfall will also think of it as a long term entertainment investment, not a 6 month disposable product.

Yep, so £36 more. The Titanfall bundle is £0 more, right?

Well, I'm going to go ahead and assume that the PS4 bundle will come with a physical copy of the game instead of a digital code, so while it appears to be more expensive, it'll probably work out the same price if you sell the game after completion.

You are saving full price no matter how you spin the bottle, it's not like the game will cost less on Xbox Store and there are consumer (including me) that will buy the game that way.

I bet most consumers buying Xbox One with Titanfall will also think of it as a long term entertainment investment, not a 6 month disposable product.

Fair enough, I guess it just annoys me that MS have gone the cheap route and are offering a digital copy of the game instead of physical.

mocoworm

All bundles are digital copies. FIFA, Forza etc. It's wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me with the nature of Titanfall... multiplayer only and always available with a voice command.

I do think that they should offer a choice though. Digital or physical.

Blearth

Banned

You lose nothing. The game is free.

Doffen

Fair enough, I guess it just annoys me that MS have gone the cheap route and are offering a digital copy of the game instead of physical.

You will see Microsoft doing more and more of digital copy bundles.

Again that's subjective too. It looks pretty but dull and the combat still looks utterly lightweight. Just looks like a tech demo to me.

So is it fair or not to compare the Titanfall bundle with the Infamous bundle?

Edit:
You lose resale value of the game, even if it's free you're still 'buying' the game, but that's neither here or there I guess.
Can you really lose something you never had? We know it's a digital copy, so it's not like you are purchasing it with the expectation of being able to resell.

Chobel

Reposting my previous comment:

If the bundle is $499 [Titanfall is free], shouldn't this hurt the sales of the normal SKU?

So what happens after the month of gold expires and the game is unplayable?

The same thing that would happen with any online-only game on XB1 or PS4. Both systems now require a subscription to play multiplayer. If your XBL gold or PS+ subscription runs out when you're playing Destiny, it will become unplayable too. That really is a pointless thing to bring up.

The only part about XBL gold that sucks is having to have it for the other stuff like Netflix, but that has been discussed ad nauseum no need to rehash it.

OT: This bundle is pretty much a waste of everyone's time. Unless you REALLY want TF and you have no intention of ever selling it used, there's no point to buying this bundle because a digital download of TF has no intrinsic resale value. I'd sooner get the Target deal with the $50 in-store gift card and pick up a retail copy of TF if I wanted to buy an XB1 for this game.

But would you really pay $599 for an unbundled console? Maybe it's not happening in Australia, but in the U.S. you can already find deals knocking about a game's worth off the price of One--either a free game, or free gift cards, or even just a straight-up discount. So the choice here will be a $450 console and $60 Titanfall, or a $499 console with Titanfall. Resale value of the retail game matches much better with that $15 difference (adding in the month of Live), as opposed to the Australian prices.

iJudged

Banned
Wow, include a physical copy of the game and a Titanfall controller for $449 at least if you want to move these boxes, damn!

coldone

That's subjective. Infamous looks very promising.

I am going to buy both. But I have a feeling, most of my time will be spent on infamous. I am a obsessive collector. If the world is 2x larger as they say, I am just going to be doing side missions and collecting shards for 20+ hours.

Variety is very important. I will quit PC/Console gaming, if all we get is online only MP games. For me games like Tomb raider, infamous, last of us, gta, mario 3d land, GT/Forza, Mario Kart are more important than BF, COD, TF type games.

Work has to go into making that possible.

It's not as simple as letting people download a file and then requiring them to download another file on the night of launch?

They seem to be able to deactivate content you're not supposed to have (see: Strider glitch), but they can't offer digital pre-loading?

xkramz

It was leaked to be possible, but they've since backtracked.

How can it not be ready? It's just making the game available to download right now without an activation key...

Is their infrastructure not up to the task?

Well maybe they want to avoid then thing that happened with GTA V and PSN pre loading so they aren't ready yet?

I KNEW IT!!! ntkrnl is the most accurate insider ever.

Team #ntkrnl

Didn't he claim it would have a decal? Mortimer also reported on that but said MS decided to scrap it due to costs.

I guess he was right in that there is a TF bundle, just wrong on it being a TF themed console...

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member

I find it very hard to believe that you would make a profit selling a 2nd hand game, see below;

XB1 = $500
TF = $60
Total = $560

Sell TF = $40 (max)
Final Expendature= $520

XB1 & TF Bundle = $500
Final Expendature = $500

Your still $20 up with the bundle and still have the game, your logic is false and you kidding yourself if you think that financially you are better off spending an extra $60 you'll not get back.

EDIT: You could pick up the bundle as sell the code on ebay as other mentioned. You'll not end up with $60 but you could cut the final eExpendature to, maybe $460? Of course you'll end op not owning the game but have cut down on the overall console price.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
There will be digital codes for TF for sale on eBay. I got Fifa for £14.

Forza was like £35 though so I expect it to be nearer that kind of price as there will be a lot less available.

GavinGT

Banned
It's not as simple as letting people download a file and then requiring them to download another file on the night of launch?

They seem to be able to deactivate content you're not supposed to have (see: Strider glitch), but they can't offer digital pre-loading?

Changes come slowly when you're working with a massive code base. And they have to ensure that their implementation doesn't open the door for vulnerabilities.

Besides, I doubt it's high on their priority list at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom