• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

To smartphone owners: Will you get a PlayStation Vita?

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Tobor said:
I sort of want one, but i'm not sure I can justify it. The software prices will be too high, and I'm getting what I want for less on iOS.

Maybe once it's been out for a while and Uncharted is on sale.

Sort of the same boat, but less likely to purchase. I mean, hey it is a cool machine, but uh, that's about it. I don't really feel like handheld gaming devices that are not smartphones have enough to offer me anymore. And as you said, price point makes it even less interesting. I can't see myself really getting interested in handheld gaming devices anymore. I wouldn't be shocked to see them get dropped in the next 10 years or so to be perfectly honest.

Yoshiya

Galvanise_ said:
Vita will be getting those smaller, cheaper games too. You can have your main meal, your desert and your snacks all on the same device. Thats why it appeals to me.
I already own an iPad, and to be honest I'm not going to carry both. The DS was an excellent platform but I still played it predominantly at home.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
As much as I would love to, I can't handle all the device juggling. I already commute daily with a Netbook (soon to be replaced by a tablet) and the Xperia Play. I was really gunning for a Vita-phone model, but until that happens I'll stick with the the Xperia Play.

Labadal

faridmon said:
The bias. Why not ask them as well if they have or will they get a 3DS? am I missing the something here?

I'm asking about Vita because it isn't released yet and has been compared with smartphones a lot lately. A comparison I do not agree with, because I see it more as a dedicated gaming device.

Yoshiya said:
I already own an iPad, and to be honest I'm not going to carry both. The DS was an excellent platform but I still played it predominantly at home.

Don't carry both then. I largely play my DS at home too. My PSP got taken outside more, but it was still nice having one because of its library and its portability.

Basically you don't want a dedicated gaming device, which is fine.

For my tastes, I'd rather die than rely on an Ipad/Ipod touch for my portable gaming fix.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Yes, but only after it gets the inevitable hardware revision with better screen/battery life and has more than enough games I want to play released (same goes for 3DS). That's how I would do it anyway but yeah, it was somewhat reinforced by having a smartphone (HTC DHD) that's always with me and already fills all my "on the go" needs (which are far from limited to gaming). Also, DS or PSP were always with me some time ago but after I get any of the 2 new handhelds somewhere down the line, chances are I won't be taking them out of the house much.

Fredrik

If the games are there then so am I.
Simple as that.

Right now it seems as it'll have the same problem as the 3DS currently have though. Console games. We'll see what happens closer to launch. Now that we have a touch screen I want touch games, not just console games with added touch controls, I want DS type of games, 2D puzzlers, isometric old school RPGs, sidescrolling platformers and action games - I have zero interest in playing first person shooters/adventures/RPGs, racin games and other games that gets incredibly bad immersion on a tiny handheld screen.

Aeana

Apparently I'm weird in that the portability factor doesn't really matter that much to me. It can be convenient, yes, but it's not like I put the thing down when I'm at home. If I'm playing a game on the thing, it doesn't matter where I am. Portable or not, I use it to play games and that's the most important thing. The idea of not wanting a handheld just because you won't use it portably strikes me as strange - exclusive games are exclusive games.

Yoshiya said:
I rarely ever use my psp out and about. It's always at home and I am sure many US citizens are exactly the same.

Aeana said:
Apparently I'm weird in that the portability factor doesn't really matter that much to me. It can be convenient, yes, but it's not like I put the thing down when I'm at home. If I'm playing a game on the thing, it doesn't matter where I am. Portable or not, I use it to play games and that's the most important thing. The idea of not wanting a handheld just because you won't use it portably strikes me as strange - exclusive games are exclusive games.
In the US you are the norm. Portability is a plus for these systems but I play them for the games and almost always at home.

Om3ga

Yep, I can save my phone battery life unless there are compelling games to play online (Tekken X Streetfighter... I hope they bring out UMVC3 as well). Then tethering will probably kill my battery faster xD.

No, but not because I have a smartphone. I have never really liked handheld gaming of any type. Smartphone, 3DS, Vita, it doesn't matter. I would rather play my games on my consoles or my PC.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yup, aside from the obvious exceptions (sworcery, infinity gene) I just don't like playing games on my phone. My phone is for communication.

Yes.
Gaming experience on the iPhone/iPad vs. the Vita are quite different IMO.
Great price for Vita. Day 1, for me, if there are compelling games at launch date.

Not immediately.

It's not really related to whether or not I own a smartphone really, it's just a lot of different factors. Console hardware seems to be getting shittier and shittier as of late, and I'd like to wait at least a few months to make sure there aren't any huge issues with the thing, then I'd wait until there was a decent library of games that I actually cared about playing.

I am due for a phone upgrade in June of 2012, so that might actually postpone getting a Vita depending on how much more powerful smartphones are then compared to my current phone (Evo).

EviLore said:
Smartphone gaming is a joke and I've had my fill.

Will I get a Vita? When it runs a wide range of emulators, sure. No interest in playing console ports on it.

I'm assuming this can only be achieved through homebrew and that may be a long, long time. Sony did a pretty good job protecting later versions of the OFW on the PSP.

Moreover, after the way Sony got fucked over with piracy on the PSP, it wouldn't surprise me if the Vita requires online registration like iOS devices do.

But realistically what kind of emulators could the Vita potentially run? Up to 6th generation home consoles? I doubt any more...

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Aeana said:
Glad to see I'm not the only one here who thinks about handhelds in this way. Some of the responses in this thread were weirding me out.

Did Smartphones get actual decent gaming? No? Then my smartphone will play second fiddle in the gaming department.

Depending on the browser, I might use the Vita for that as well.

Xena

Aeana said:

Well, being women we also have the "advantage" of carrying around purses, which really defeats the "don't fit in my pocket" argument the guys have...

I'm only picky about the size when it comes to console controllers, and reason I love the dual shock a hundred times more than the 360 because it is small and fits perfectly in my hands.

Fredrik

TheExecutive said:
Portability is a plus for these systems but I play them for the games and almost always at home.
That's exactly why I don't want typical console games on either the Vita or 3DS. It feels like goin backwards. I've been spending quite a lot of time and money to get a nice setup with a big TV and good sound for my consoles. To suddenly start playing the same type of games on a tiny screen in the same sofa feels kind of awkward.

Aeana

seabee said:
Well, being women we also have the "advantage" of carrying around purses, which really defeats the "don't fit in my pocket" argument the guys have...

I'm only picky about the size when it comes to console controllers, and reason I love the dual shock a hundred times more than the 360 because it is small and fits perfectly in my hands.
Well, yes; size isn't much of a concern to me. Nor is carrying around a bunch of games. Everything fits nicely in my purse. But even if I never took a handheld out of my house, it would still be valuable to me if it had exclusive games I wanted to play. It kind of sounds like games are a secondary or tertiary concern to some people here.

I have an iPad and iPhone 4 and a 3ds. I have already prepurchased the Vita.

When you're married 'portable gaming' means on the couch next to your wife while she watches some horrible reality tv show.

Xena

Aeana said:
Well, yes; size isn't much of a concern to me. Nor is carrying around a bunch of games. Everything fits nicely in my purse. But even if I never took a handheld out of my house, it would still be valuable to me if it had exclusive games I wanted to play. It kind of sounds like games are a secondary or tertiary concern to some people here.

Haha, yes indeed. But I'll have to bite my tongue, because as I mentioned before, I'm getting initially for the technology in it. There is so much potential in this device, that I really want to see what devs will come up with, game or not. Especially with the online now.

famousmortimer said:
I have an iPad and iPhone 4 and a 3ds. I have already prepurchased the Vita.

When you're married 'portable gaming' means on the couch next to your wife while she watches some horrible reality tv show.
Lol yes it does or when your kid watches yo GABA GABA

I bring my PSPGo everywhere and I got an Iphone 4. So, yeah I'll still be buying the amazing Vita lol.

Also if WipEout is available at launch. I R SOLD.

AGAIN.

Niks

Iphone 4 user here.

Im considering buying the PSVita.
Smartphone for casual games, vita for meatier games.

amrihua

Kimosabae said:
Nope. Vita looks cool, and the price is great, but dedicated gaming portables are dead to me.

Same here. It will take some gotta have game before I consider any portable any more other than my smartphone. So I won't buy at launch and will wait for a price drop.

Ravage

I have a iphone4 and will definitely be buying a Vita. Reason is simple - i'm not satisfied with simple and shallow phone games. I want my FFs,God of Wars,HotShots,LBPs and FIFAs on the go and my iphone sure as hell can't provide them.

jyoung188

I own an iPhone and I plan on buying a Vita. I agree with the OP I love my iPhone and have it with me constantly but I rarely play games on it anymore. I'll be getting the Vita for the games not the apps or browser. I'm sick of the simple iPhone games, I want deeper, more console like, games on the go AND BUTTONS!

M-PG71C

Eventually, but not day one. I'm not a huge fan of Sony's first party output (its quality but a lot of it is just not my taste) so beyond it there's that one Vanillaware title.

I'll get one down the road but that's because I'm a hardware-whore, and not indicative of how the market is going to play out whatsoever lol :D

Oh, and I do own an Android and in a way, it is my "main" portable in the sense I never carry portables with me anyway. As far as game time goes, its my 3DS/DS for the most part.

Angelcurio

Blackberry user and i will get a vita. I really hope Sony releases some kind of app store, since i would be interesting to see what people can come up with given all the input options of the Vita.

A Vita tablet, with the controler part sliding like the pspgo would be an interesting experiment.

Eventually I'll buy it. If it doesn't include internal memory day 1, I'll wait for a revision or two before getting it. Otherwise I'll just wait until more games (especially western 3rd party games) are launched.

KingDizzi

Banned
For sure. iPhone and iPad games just don't do it for me, about 2 months ago I got about 20-30 highly recommended iOS games and did not enjoy them at all. Tiny Wings and Angry Birds are good games I've sunk a couple of hours into but besides that there are no games on the App Store which have interested me much.

Edit - Scratch that PvZ on iPad was mint

Top Bottom