• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

To the "Destiny 2 looks like DLC" crowd. Why?

LordofPwn

I think the biggest thing is that this sequel seems to have less content in it than destiny 1 does right now and that Destiny 1 was sold to us as this 10 year game that would expand overtime. Like yeah it looks like the destiny I know, it doesn't seem to really be shaking things up that much, but I'm more interested in how Destiny 2 grows over time with the expansions and content updates. Destiny 1 was already reduced in size and the first 2 expansions were tiny.

But the big thing is, when I start Destiny 2 is it going to feel like hour 1 or hour 2001? Yes I spent around 2000 hours in the first destiny. If it feels like hour 2001 I don't think I can spend another 2000 with it, that's a potential problem.

FyreWulff

I think the biggest thing is that this sequel seems to have less content in it than destiny 1 does right now and that Destiny 1 was sold to us as this 10 year game that would expand overtime. Like yeah it looks like the destiny I know, it doesn't seem to really be shaking things up that much, but I'm more interested in how Destiny 2 grows over time with the expansions and content updates. Destiny 1 was already reduced in size and the first 2 expansions were tiny.

But the big thing is, when I start Destiny 2 is it going to feel like hour 1 or hour 2001? Yes I spent around 2000 hours in the first destiny. If it feels like hour 2001 I don't think I can spend another 2000 with it, that's a potential problem.

10 year franchise, not game

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Yea... And alot of the classes have near identical subclasses.
I'm sorry aztech, I love you, but this is patently false. In fact some sub classes become useless or near useless when you're playing them in pve or pvp. For example please never bring a striker or blade dancer into a raid.

Jblanks

I'm sorry aztech, I love you, but this is patently false. In fact some sub classes become useless or near useless when you're playing them in pve or pvp. For example please never bring a striker or blade dancer into a raid.

If they made the correct changes to the sub classes to make them both viable in PvE and PvP, I'll be ok with no new classes. I liked the Golden Gun a lot, but it wasn't too good in PvE, same with PvP; so I was really happy when TTK came out as a Hunter.

LordofPwn

Yeah but

What about the stories of the loot i got in d1, I wont be able to show it off in d2
This is what I meant by 10 year game. Like I knew there would be sequels but D2 feels like a soft reset than building upon the first. Like destiny 2 versus destiny 1 version 2.

Some of this has to deal with the fact that destiny 1 is in a genre to itself and no one had a clear picture of what a sequel would look like.

This is what I meant by 10 year game. Like I knew there would be sequels but D2 feels like a soft reset than building upon the first. Like destiny 2 versus destiny 1 version 2.

Some of this has to deal with the fact that destiny 1 is in a genre to itself and no one had a clear picture of what a sequel would look like.

Not to mention, will they be resetting for every numbered release? Will the guardians lose their light and loot again for D3?

D2 brings up alot of questions.

Jamiaro

I played a lot of Destiny vanilla, got burned HARD. Then I bought the Taken King. The experience was smoother but the grind was still real and story non-existant.

And now this... Destiny 1.5, a DLC, no hype at all. :/

Sorry I must have mispoke, I meant, the new Destiny, has near identical subclasses (And subsequent upgrades to D1) I.E Gunslinger still having chain of woe, golden gun, other upgrades etc. haven't seemed to change much.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Not to mention, will they be resetting for every numbered release? Will the guardians lose their light and loot again for D3?

D2 brings up alot of questions.
Just a guess but I'm pretty sure the soft reset was to fix their engine issues so hey could bring in content faster and continually expand and evolve the game easily.

Sorry I must have mispoke, I meant, the new Destiny, has near identical subclasses (And subsequent upgrades to D1) I.E Gunslinger still having chain of woe, golden gun, other upgrades etc. haven't seemed to change much.
Ohh yeah, I don't have an argument for that if it's the case because that's very disappointing imo. I can say that maybe we didn't see everything for the old subclasses but that might be a tough pill to swallow.

Trace

Banned
I played a lot of Destiny vanilla, got burned HARD. Then I bought the Taken King. The experience was smoother but the grind was still real and story non-existant.

And now this... Destiny 1.5, a DLC, no hype at all. :/

Quite honestly if you find Destiny a grind it's not for you.

Just a guess but I'm pretty sure the soft reset was to fix their engine issues so hey could bring in content faster and continually expand and evolve the game easily.

That's what they always say and then the content draught happens.
Quite honestly if you find Destiny a grind it's not for you.
How is destiny not objectively a grind, there's nothing wrong with enjoying grinding but the game is designed to eat your time. Most loot based games are, especially the ones that don't have fixed loot tables.

Trace

Banned

How is destiny not objectively a grind, there's nothing wrong with enjoying grinding but the game is designed to eat your time. Most loot based games are.

I'm not arguing there isn't a lot of time doing repetitive things, but the word "grind" implies doing something to the point of exhaustion/boredom, where Destiny doesn't really have that. A grind would be more like the level 1-60 time of vanilla WoW.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
They always say they've updated their engine, or that they'll bring out more relevant content (which 9/10 times they didn't but as the article from kotaku revealed that was due to engine problems)? The point is they've updated their engine now to make more content at a faster rate, but I see what you mean.

oneils

I'm not arguing there isn't a lot of time doing repetitive things, but the word "grind" implies doing something to the point of exhaustion/boredom, where Destiny doesn't really have that. A grind would be more like the level 1-60 time of vanilla WoW.

It's a grind getting to light level 400 or whatever. It somehow seems more repetitious to me because you can't really get there via story only. You have to grind the activities it gives you (raids, dailies, pvp).

Ohh yeah, I don't have an argument for that if it's the case because that's very disappointing imo. I can say that maybe we didn't see everything for the old subclasses but that might be a tough pill to swallow.

Yea, I'm just going off of what I saw from the Jackfrags video and stuff, I don't have any problem with the subclass variety, they were interesting and different enough generally. I just seemed to see a lot of the same subclasses, and maybe I'm not remembering correctly but a lot seemed to be largely unchanged. Aside from a few major class changes.

2f9b87cd29.png

Grenades
Pulse Grenade:
A grenade that periodically damages enemies inside its blast radius
Flashbang Grenade:
An explosive grenade that disorientates the enemies it damages
Lightning Grenade:
A grenade that sticks to any surface and emits bolts of lightning
Class ability: barriers
Towering Barricade:
A large barrier that can be used for cover or to seal off dangerous areas for a short time
Rally Barricade:
A small barrier that allows you to peek over it while aiming down sights and instantly reloads your equipment when you take cover
Jumps
Increased Height:
Upgrades Lift to travel to greater heights
Catapult:
Upgrades Lift to provide a strong initial burst of momentum
Increased Control:
Upgrades Lift for better directional control while in the air
Passive skill tree 1
Aftermath:
Fist of Havoc disorientates enemies and leaves a damage-dealing field in its wake
Magnitude:
Increases the duration of Pulse Grenades, Lightning Grenades, and Aftermath
Aerial Strike:
Fist of Havoc deals more damage the longer it's in the air
Shoulder Charge:
After sprinting for a short time, slam shoulder-first into your target
Passive skill tree 2
Frontal Assault:
A powerful melee punch that grants you increased weapon stability
Reversal:
Melee kills immediately trigger health regeneration
Knockout:
Breaking enemies shields increases your melee range
Trample:
Fist of Havoc lasts longer while sprinting. Killing enemies with Fist of Havoc extends its duration

https://www.vg247.com/2017/05/19/destiny-2-all-titan-striker-subclass-skills-and-abilities/

I'll have to look through more later, most seem to be up in videos already.

We're gonna be arguing semantics at this point.
They always say they've updated their engine, or that they'll bring out more relevant content (which 9/10 times they didn't but as the article from kotaku revealed that was due to engine problems)? The point is they've updated their engine now to make more content at a faster rate, but I see what you mean.
Mostly referring to how Blizzard always "learned" from their previous release and that this time there won't be a content drought for WoW. But the sentiment has been echoed by many MMO developers.

Bold One

True that. :/ I really tried to like it!

Ultimately it comes down to this.

For Destiny fans, these kinds of threads are really frustrating, since 2014 I've seen post after post come in from people bitter about vanilla Destiny telling its fans that they are either crazy, being conned or being psychologically skinner-boxed.

Jest Chilling puts it well.

Originally Posted by Jest Chillin

When people are saying that they want the core design elements of the game to be completely different, it's safe to say that this just isn't a game for them.

At a certain point, you as a consumer have to realize that it's unreasonable to expect a massive overhaul like that and just move on.

It just isn't reasonable to constantly demand that a well liked popular game that people enjoy as is undergo a massive core design change

Trace

Banned

Mostly referring to how Blizzard always "learned: from their previous release and that this time there won't be a content drought for WoW. But the sentiment has been echoed by many MMO developers.

Yea I agree, either you like the gameplay loop of Destiny or you don't. If you don't no amount of playing will convince you it's anything more than an endless grind, if you do, you enjoy that.

Jamiaro

It's a grind getting to light level 400 or whatever. It somehow seems more repetitious to me because you can't really get there via story only. You have to grind the activities it gives you (raids, dailies, pvp).

And this is why I got bored. Same missions, everyday, for the best loot drops and Light.

EloquentM

aka Mannny

Mostly referring to how Blizzard always "learned: from their previous release and that this time there won't be a content drought for WoW. But the sentiment has been echoed by many MMO developers.
Oh no, trust me I'll believe it when I see it. I was just going off the kotaku articles. Supposedly they've been updating their tools to allow for more efficient workflows and content creation. We'll see how that works out for them.

Oh no, trust me I'll believe it when I see it. I was just going off the kotaku articles. Supposedly they've been updating their tools to allow for more efficient workflows and content creation. We'll see how that works out for them.

That's really good news if true. I know they had talked about wanting to make sure they released content in smaller amounts more regularly with focus on interesting events, which they started doing a little in Taken King and was nice.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
That's really good news if true. I know they had talked about wanting to make sure they released content in smaller amounts more regularly with focus on interesting events, which they started doing a little in Taken King and was nice.
Even from the communities view that wasn't really very well realized. The biggest free updates came in the form of the 2016 April update, and age of triumphs update from this year. These were both free to those who bought the dlc but all the other events were basically fluff. Barely any "new" content. As for those two big updates I mentioned they weren't mostly new content wise either. April update introduced a new strike and most of these events and updates brought new (or variations of old) gear. It was a lot of new stuff to chase after but nothing game changing imo.

Tomeru

This game could easily be DLC. It's so sad to see Bungie and Activision seeing giant dollar signs and people lapping it up. Bungie really sold themselves out; only company that could be worse than Activision is maybe EA.

You know, that is a really disrespectful and condencending thing to say about those who do like the game. I just hope you find it in you to not presume how brainwashed people are when they say they love destiny.

Uncharted series as well, loved them all...but Uncharted 3 felt just like a nicer looking version of Uncharted 2 with a new story. Nothing wrong with that either.

How about the jump from Uncharted 1 to 2?

Looking at the actual footage streamers have posted just shocked me with how similar the look and feel is compared to Destiny 1. The original reveal stream did a good job of masking that.
I'm not even sure their tools improved much considering it took them 3 years to build this.

The3rdBozon

Neo Member
My personal response:

Destiny 1 wasn't what I expected it would be. Maybe because Acti sold/presented it weird... maybe just because I filled in the gaps on my own when not seeing elements of the world I thought I would. The first look certainly sold a different game as far as public events at a massive scale, on-the-fly multiplayer, and what I thought would be a massive universe. Instead we got limited worlds, the same general mission structure over and over, and a pretty simple gameplay loop (though gunplay was awesome).

So if others are like me, I expected Destiny 2 to course-correct, make good on some of the promises and expectations (fair and unfair) that fans had from the first game, and make it something truly different/expanded/evolved.

When it became "Another dose of Destiny 1-like content" that was sort of a sad realization.

I'll buy. I'll play. But I kinda wish we got what Destiny 1 at least seemed to be back during its unveil. To me, it still just isn't...

Even from the communities view that wasn't really very well realized. The biggest free updates came in the form of the 2016 April update, and age of triumphs update from this year. These were both free to those who bought the dlc but all the other events were basically fluff. Barely any "new" content. As for those two big updates I mentioned they weren't mostly new content wise either. April update introduced a new strike and most of these events and updates brought new (or variations of old) gear. It was a lot of new stuff to chase after but nothing game changing imo.

I remember there being the black spindle, and some other exotics that kind of trickled out slowly. That was kind of cool, but overall yea the "Holiday" and other minor events were just relatively wasted time in lieu of real content.

ByWatterson

This nails it. Even in sequels that are similar to the predecessor, there is a feeling of newness. Your post is why I don't play annualized sports games, and why I'm wary of D2.

Lucifon

I think the "we're wiping everyone's characters / progress for the game to allow us to make a substantial leap" style messaging did the game's reveal no favours. In fact I'm surprised they are wiping progress given just how similar the games look.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Isn't this like saying every new FIFA or COD is like DLC?

As for it being a grind, sure, but so is COD if you wanna rank up and unlock all the gear. Thats not considered a grind cos it just happens as you play?

Destiny haters are frustrating for sure, we all k ow it's not the perfect dream game you expected but we still love it for what it is, just go and enjoy your other games.

I think the "we're wiping everyone's characters / progress for the game to allow us to make a substantial leap" style messaging did the game's reveal no favours. In fact I'm surprised they are wiping progress given just how similar the games look.
Yep, it's a tough sell. Significantly bumping the visuals or going open world would have made the changes more instantly noticeable, but they seem to be relying on the back end changes to the engine that... apparently, speeds up content creation.

I hope that's true, and this game will now be Destiny 1, highly polished, with regular updates featuring new explorable locations to keep building the game up like any other MMO does. But once again they're only launching with four locations (a big criticism for D1, we saw half the game's landmass in the beta...) and you can read the Destiny 2 expansion pass description right now, which promises new story missions, strikes, raids, and PVP content, but makes absolutely no mention of new explorable locations. So I have no idea what's going on over at Bungie, but I hope E3 and the beta clears it all up and they make it clear that we'll be getting multiple new planets per year, and that could only happen with Destiny 2's new engine. Because I'm totally on board if they can pull that off. Lack of new exploration content was the reason I left Destiny shortly after the second DLC.

failgubbe

As for it being a grind, sure, but so is COD if you wanna rank up and unlock all the gear. Thats not considered a grind cos it just happens as you play?

Destiny haters are frustrating for sure, we all k ow it's not the perfect dream game you expected but we still love it for what it is, just go and enjoy your other games.

First of all FIFA is a "simulation" so it shouldn't reinvent itself and tbh COD almost has bigger changes than Destiny 2

Pepboy

Fifa is sometimes criticized as feeling like DLC / unclear why it couldn't just be a patch with the new teams and stats. CoD usually has a somewhat compelling story that lasts 10-15 hours, without forcing you to replay missions or the same 4 areas from slightly different spawn points. That being said, GAF is pretty critical of CoD in general, and sales for that series have started declining. I don't think GAF has multiple threads praising each CoD or get overly hyped up about it.

That and CoD is a long series, where players have come to know what to expect. Destiny 2 had a chance to be something new, especially by focusing on the new consoles. Could have an open world, or more areas, or more interesting play styles.

The issue is not that it's a perfect game, it's that it was a game with relatively little content (except replaying) that was not marketed clearly, leading to a lot of regret purchases. People are looking to see if Destiny 2 will be a content-strapped game like Destiny 1. All signs point to it being more of the same -- which is fine for people willing to pay $60 for a few missions -- but it's certainly something that feels more like Destiny 1.3 than a true innovation.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Yeah but

What about the stories of the loot i got in d1, I wont be able to show it off in d2

It's a new game, so yeah... it's a new loot grind and show off post that.

I'm 100% fine with this: and I'm not in one bit dissappointed with the reveal, I think it's looking great and the story focus (and lil' Holliday!) look amazing.

Source: Like many here, I've got 1000+ hours all up in D1.

Zen Aku

I've only played the Alpha and Beta for Destiny but by the end I felt so burnt and uninterested that I didn't even buy the game. I watched a couple of video after multiple expansions were released and then after watching the gameplay reveal. My first thought was "that's it?"

It felt so underwhelming. I mean it's Destiny alright, the action and the combat it's what I remembered. But it doesn't feel new, I didn't get that sense of "whoa that's awesome" like when they first reveal Destiny years ago. Sure it seems more polished but from what I'm seeing now, it just doesn't seem like the big jump they promised us Destiny 2 would be.

I feel like vanilla Destiny was the alpha and the Game of the Year edition of Destiny was the beta and now this is Destiny "1".

It's like people paid $60 for them to figured out how the original Destiny supposed to be like. When they first reveal Destiny I thought there would be massive cities that I can visit. Players running around doing things, open world or at least large open areas I can explore. But playing the beta, it felt so confined. Maybe I'm spoiled by playing Guild War 2 but I thought Destiny 2 might be somewhat like that, just sci-fi.

Maybe it still will be, but as far as first impression goes, I'm pretty underwhelmed with Destiny 2 right now. It seems like just more of the same just more polished. But not like a good polished in a way because the foundation was already rock solid like Uncharted series, or Persona, or Halo 1-3.

nOoblet16

This was always going to be the case though, people including several Destiny diehards mentioned this a lot even in the Destiny OT, no sequel in the world would offer more content than the original has after years of content updates.

As for Destiny 1 (the game itself) being 10 year game, it was NEVER sold as such. It was always the Destiny IP that was sold as a 10 year thing, not one game. Like how Halo was a 10 year or so long committment for Bungie, after which Destiny was their next thing. 10 years from 2014 end means the end of 2024...and it's entirely on people if they thought Destiny 1 itself...running on PS4Bone would get support until then when this generation is likely going to stop getting support for its infrastructure to support a game like Destiny much earlier than that. It just does not make sense if you think about it.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I don't think it looks like DLC at all really, but "4 new locations!", "a new story" and "3 new weapon types!" are probably not the best defense

nOoblet16

StarCraft 2 from SC: BW, Diablo 3 from Diablo 2.
Though those are special cases because SC and Diablo 2 came out in 90s when games were made differently compared, had different content density and all to games made late 2000s to early 2010s.

It'd be like saying Metroid Prime had more content than 2D Metroid which would be right but it's missing the context.

Those are rare and exceptional cases due to the fact that SC and Diablo 2 came out so long ago, at a time when a game's length/content used to be different.

Itd be like saying Metroid Prime had more content than 2D Metroid which would be right but it's missing the context.

Well guess what? Destiny 2 is being hosted on the Battle.net client which has SC2 and D3 on it; the comparison is inevitable and warranted. If Destiny 2 can't, by its own merit, hold its own against Blizzard titles then it shouldn't be hosted on the Blizzard client.

If I'm going to see a Destiny 2 icon whenever I boot up Battle.net, you're sure as hell I'm gonna compare it with the likes of WoW and Overwatch.

cripterion

See, this is where I think this sequel is being viewed wrong: this isn't an apology for those that didn't like vanilla D1 and never played TTK et al, this seems to be a love letter to those that are current players (of which there are many) and semi-recent players (of which there are masses).

I see a lot of people stating how it should be completely different to D1 in every way, but a whole lot of Destiny players didn't want revolution like that, just evolution...which is what D2 seems to be in a great way.

This is the best post of the thread and most likely what is happening here and explains the disconnect between both camps.

Only thing I would add is that on a technical level they're not bringing evolution by still having 30 fps, no dedicated servers, and 4vs4 pvp in a big budget sequel that's supposed to be running on a brand new spanking engine.

This is the best post of the thread and most likely what is happening here and explains the disconnect between both camps.

Only thing I would add is that on a technical level they're not bringing evolution by still having 30 fps, no dedicated servers, and 4vs4 pvp in a big budget sequel that's supposed to be running on a brand new spanking engine.

Agreed with your post and the one you quoted. I don't think I'll ever disagree with people that the lack of dedicated servers and 30fps are still things that hurt Destiny. 4v4 pvp might actually be a better thing for the crucible overall, but a big-team-battle playlist with classic 6v6 would be appreciated.

TsuWave

as big a fan of destiny as i am, i hated how they kept going "new strikes, new armor and a new raid" on that reveal. wtf bungie, it IS a sequel.

they shoulda focused on the stuff that will fundamentally make this a fresh experience. should've had a new class and new subclasses (not just reworked ones) and new elements (not just arc/solar/void). should've expanded patrol fireteam size, and the blanket change to crucible fireteam size is questionable (4v4 in all modes? c'mon)

and even though i understand why we are starting with the cabal conflict, i also understand why people are "tired" of the "same enemies". And since i'm on this subject, that strike shown looked like a remix of the strikes most destiny players have ran thousands of times, so perhaps having a different race of enemies could've helped in this regard (they will likely bring one with the dlc's so i'm not too concerned here, i just think it would've given this game a fresher feel if we had at least one new race of enemies from the go)

the game will probably be fine for people like me who are destiny fans, but i felt like that reveal was uninspiring.

TsuWave

See, this is where I think this sequel is being viewed wrong: this isn't an apology for those that didn't like vanilla D1 and never played TTK et al, this seems to be a love letter to those that are current players (of which there are many) and semi-recent players (of which there are masses).

lol, i don't know where this "love letter" sentiment is coming from. Luke Smith opened up with a speech about it being a fresh start, hence the massive "2" as a reminder of a new beginning. He also mentioned it is an attempt at capturing and welcoming new hearts to the destiny franchise. Imo, it was a underwhelming reveal in that regard, and the franchise isn't moving forward with fresh ideas, at least not as fast as some hoped it would and its ok to admit that.

I loved destiny, 4 thousand hours playing it are testament to that, but yeah...I feel like they coulda/shoulda done more.

Top Bottom