• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toki Tori 2 sales rise by 8027% following new update, eShop sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, junior.

Don't do that.

To make it a better response: No. Nintendo's eShop has worked very well for some developers. Some games have even sold more on Nintendo's hardware than on the other consoles. It shows that Nintendo has a pretty decent market for indie/small games.

Tybolt

Banned
Everybody said:
(proving Tybolt wrong)

WELL THEN. Maybe I was thinking of WiiWare sales? I have no source to immediately link but I thought that was a huge issue for several developers, at least.

gngf123

I'm assuming this is the case. Aren't Nintendo's digital sales for indies usually nonexistent under normal circumstances?

DarXsXY.png

Okay this is a 3DS game (Gunman Clive) and not a WiiU game, but indies can do very well on Nintendo systems.

cacildo

I think its pretty nice that Eshop smaller games can do well. The reaction on miiverse usually already gives me the impression the games are selling. And people get to know about other games on the miiverse.

I just want the "indie devs" to move on to 3d games. You dont need the best graphics, you dont need the bigger world, you just need to make a good game and put a decent price to it. We will buy it on the eshop for sure.

I bet a decent, innovative FPS multiplayer only on the Eshop could sell a lot.

It's not funny cause it's true? (or close to it)

A spike that big means the sales were pretty insignificant before.
Again, prove it. Why would Two Tribes announce three more games if their title was bombing? The only evidence we have in support of your argument are some statements from John Harker, who's opinion means fuck all.

hawk2025

I just came in here to say that Toki Tori 2 was one of the most inventive, creative, and fun puzzle games I've played in a long, long time. I beat it when it came out on the Wii U and was incredibly impressed by the charm and design of it.

Riki

That's still a decent number, I would think.

(If it was really that number) It would be phenomenal for just a day of sales.

Again, prove it. Why would Two Tribes announce three more games if their title was bombing? The only evidence we have in support of your argument are some statements from John Harker, who's opinion means fuck all.

His statement means quite a bit. However, his statement was in relation to a specific developer (Ubisoft) who had not seen good sales for their games on eShop.
This is about small developers with far cheaper games, who likely are selling more units than any retail games.

It's not funny cause it's true? (or close to it)

A spike that big means the sales were pretty insignificant before.

How do you know it's true?
That seems like quite an assumption.

Toki Tori 2 is a really neat game that works well with Nintendo's eShop market. If I had a WiiU, I would purchase it again, just because of how fun it is. I believe this game will sell rather well throughout the WiiU's lifetime.

Javier

Does anyone remember how many people rated the game on the eShop before the sale? It should tell us the minimum number of downloads the game got.

I don't need to prove simple statistics and common sense. You learn that in high school. You just don't get a spike like that if your sales aren't low, you just don't.

then what was the point of your comment, it isnt true, they were making a joke, obvious, unfunny joke.
My point is that the 8027% is kinda meaningless/missleading, and I'm pretty sure that was everyone point too. You don't actually believe they meant literally that it only sold ~80 copies did you?

What's wrong with some of you people? The devs are seemingly happy that their game is doing well, what's the point of shitting up a thread like this? Nintendo is not stealing your indies lol

His statement means quite a bit. However, his statement was in relation to a specific developer (Ubisoft) who had not seen good sales for their games on eShop.
This is about small developers with far cheaper games, who likely are selling more units than any retail games.
Which is exactly what I'm getting at. Using Ubisoft as a barometer, he was alluding that no developer (indie or not) could find success on the eShop. Which is shit.

Nosgoroth

It's too late for this, the math part of my brain is already asleep, but I feel the impulse to do this anyway.

Assumption: 8027% is not a random number meaning "a lot".

So, no number lower than 100 yields an integer when multiplied by 81.27*, and that means that the number of previous sales must be a multiple of 100, which is, uh, well, 0.01 probable, but okay. Therefore, sales must be a multiple of 8127. What am I doing wrong.

* A 8027% increase means (x + 80.27x), which is (81.27x).

In context, 8127 or 16254 (up from 100 or 200 respectively) seems appropriately big for an indie game receiving an update relatively late after launch on a console with a limited install base. (Assuming weekly)

Congrats to the developers. Always good to hear a developer is doing well.

But without any hard numbers, the percentage comes across as sensationalist. That percentage increase means a lot more if sales were at 5000 and not 500, for example.

Riki

Congrats to the developers. Always good to hear a developer is doing well.

But without any hard numbers, the percentage comes across as sensationalist. That percentage increase means a lot more if sales were at 5000 and not 500, for example.

The percentage is all they can give, really.
Developers aren't allowed to share specific sales from eShop.

GulAtiCa

Why are some of you acting like it was a failure in first place? That percentage is most likely compared to last week. Though we don't have a time reference.

Keep in mind that this game launched about 5 months ago.

Anyways this is good news

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I don't need to prove simple statistics and common sense. You learn that in high school. You just don't get a spike like that if your sales aren't low, you just don't.

My point is that the 8027% is kinda meaningless/missleading, and I'm pretty sure that was everyone point too. You don't actually believe they meant literally that it only sold ~80 copies did you?

no I dont believe anything, only thing I know is that twotribes were pleasantly shocked at the huge spike

Nessus

It's almost as if huge sales are a major component of the success or failure of digital distribution models...

The percentage is all they can give, really.
Developers aren't allowed to share specific sales from eShop.
I don't doubt that's true. I'm just saying that without knowing what either the before or after numbers are, it's hard to give context to the increase. The percentage is in a vacuum, so all we can know is that is a great increase, not how great.

I love Sales-Age, so my curiosity is naturally piqued.

Nosgoroth

That number might be rounded, though.

It would mean bigger sales, though. 8027% is already very specific, to get integer sales from something like 8027.15% you'd have to have a bigger base number.

EDIT: No, not necessarily, no. That could happen, yes.

Is this how Nintendo expresses sales now? In percentages?

They always look so much higher when you have a low starting amount.

Why is it like half the posts in this thread are trolling? Either people making stupid jokes about eShop games not selling (False) or posts like this which show you didn't even go to the link...

Tripon

Even if it was only 8027 copies sold in one day, that's $80,189. Still a nice chuck of money for a small indie dev.

And with just one tweet, they managed to get publicity on Neogaf, so it did its job. =P

Nosgoroth

Even if it was only 8027 copies sold in one day, that's $80,189. Still a nice chuck of money for a small indie dev.

And with just one tweet, they managed to get publicity on Neogaf, so it did its job. =P

Assuming industry standard 30% cut for Nintendo:

($8,99 * 8127) * 0.7 = $51,140

iMerc

eshop has been the one main positive grace for the wiiU platform and indies have gone on record again and again how their games have sold pretty well & that nintendo has been very 'liberal' with what they allow developers to do on it.

regardless of how the sales were before, a massive increase in sales can ONLY be a GOOD thing.
Disgusting to see so many morons try to spin this to be a negative just because it's on a nintendo platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom