• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toki Tori 2 sales rise by 8027% following new update, eShop sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it like half the posts in this thread are trolling? Either people making stupid jokes about eShop games not selling (False) or posts like this which show you didn't even go to the link...
It's MO with every WiiU sales related thread. Obviously lame troll replies are witty commentary on the topic at hand.

Rolf NB

For the 27% at the end to make sense, the sales before the change must have been a whole multiple of 37.

Worst case, it sold 37 the day before and 3007 after the price cut/patch release.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Your mathematics teachers have failed you miserably.
I wasn't championing the math (I didn't contribute to it as you can see), but critiquing whoever is disparaging any attempt to translate it into real, less sensational figures.

I know people are frustrated and sick of Wii U sales joke, but at the same time a reminder and a context when met with 8000+% is essential.

sörine

Banned
eshop has been the one main positive grace for the wiiU platform and indies have gone on record again and again how their games have sold pretty well & that nintendo has been very 'liberal' with what they allow developers to do on it.
Off the top of my head, Fronzebyte, Wayforward, Nexon, Shin'en, Black Forest, Tomorrow Corp, Gaijin Games, Renegade Kid and Two Tribes have all noted positive results for their games on Wii U eShop. In some cases even better results than on longer established rival services like PSN or XBLA.

I think the only indie developer to talk about dissapointing sales on the eShop was Broken Rules.

Nosgoroth

For the 27% at the end to make sense, the sales before the change must have been a whole multiple of 37.

Worst case, it sold 37 the day before and 3007 after the price cut/patch release.

If the 8027% is rounded a bit, yes. 37*81.27 is almost 3007 but not quite. This sounds true, though, it looks less artificial than my result.

...Why am I doing this again?

Sage00

Once And Future Member
The negative responses in this thread targeted at those attempting to discuss the sales in real terms behind the PR fluff, the health of the platform and so on are ridiculous. Multiple times more distracting than any troll/joke posts.

Not everyone who isn't dedicated to singing their praises constantly is out to get Nintendo and every product on their systems. You can put your shields down, take a deep breath and please stay far away from the Media Create threads.

The negative responses in this thread targeted at those attempting to discuss the sales in real terms behind the PR fluff, the health of the platform and so on are ridiculous. Multiple times more distracting than any troll/joke posts.

Not everyone who isn't dedicated to singing their praises constantly is out to get Nintendo and every product on their systems. You can put your shields down, take a deep breath and please stay far away from the Media Create threads.

I like how you mask blatant trolling and joking as "attempting to discuss the sales in real terms". Tell me, which one of them bothered inquiring how much the game has already sold? Whether this increase was over the last week, month, total sales?

Either you're playing coy or you seriously believe those posts actually cared about the sales, in which case you might want to actually look through a sales thread and see the types of posts people actually interested in sales numbers make

Sage00

Once And Future Member
I like how you mask blatant trolling and joking as "attempting to discuss the sales in real terms". Tell me, which one of them bothered inquiring how much the game has already sold? Whether this increase was over the last week, month, total sales?

Either you're playing coy or you seriously believe those posts actually cared about the sales, in which case you might want to actually look through a sales thread and see the types of posts people actually interested in sales numbers make
Thanks for telling me which posts I was talking about (hint: I wasn't). Anyone with an ounce of sense would approach this news with skepticism due to the metric used and conclude that it's not a good indicator one way or another without any raw data to use as a comparison. Therefore it cannot be used as a measure of the platform's health (which most of us are interested in since this kind of data is so obscured by Nintendo generally). This is what's called an objective viewpoint.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Thanks for telling me which posts I was talking about (hint: I wasn't). Anyone with an ounce of sense would approach this news with skepticism due to the metric used and conclude that it's not a good indicator one way or another without any raw data to use as a comparison. Therefore it cannot be used as a measure of the platform's health (which most of us are interested in since this kind of data is so obscured by Nintendo generally). This is what's called an objective viewpoint.
An objective observation would be that developers are not allowed to quote sales numbers in public. Another objective observation would be that apparently TwoTribes are happy with the bump, and wanted to chime in with something they are allowed to quote, thus their increase quote. Other eShop developers have done likewise before and apparently that flies with nintendo.

guek

Banned

Except most people are ragging on a handful of posts that have no interest in actually discussing the health of the platform. The posts in question weren't even mathematically accurate, which is also what most people are pointing out. Also, please point out the overwhelming number of posts that are using this as a measure of the health of the eshop. This thread really hasn't been a sales discussion, or were you too busy getting all defensive people making snide, baseless remarks about eshop sales to notice?

Not everyone who refuses to spin everything nintendo related as negative news is somehow a fanatic member of the nintendo defense force.

big_erk

An objective observation would be that developers are not allowed to quote sales numbers in public. Another objective observation would be that apparently TwoTribes are happy with the bump, and wanted to chime in with something they are allowed to quote, thus their increase quote. Other eShop developers have done likewise before and apparently that flies with nintendo.

Exactly what I was thinking, but didn't have the inclination to post, based on the replies so far. Since they can't quote hard numbers, they went with the next best thing. The only other option would be to say "Sales increased a "WHOLE BUNCH!!!"

That would have gone over well.

No talk about the actual discount or the new differences in the update. I figured it sold well because eshop games rarely go on sale and when they do the discounts are not that good. I sort of want to get it but I know eventually it will be cheaper on Steam and not tied to the hardware

iMerc

The negative responses in this thread targeted at those attempting to discuss the sales in real terms behind the PR fluff, the health of the platform and so on are ridiculous.

Not everyone who isn't dedicated to singing their praises constantly is out to get Nintendo and every product on their systems.

the difference in conversational intelligence between the shit in this thread and a typical media create thread is night and day.
please don't stand/sit/hang there and claim post like these (which make up the bulk of wiiU threads) are 'attempts' to have intelligence discussion......

So 8027 people bought it?

Hahahahah!

Pretty much.

It's not funny cause it's true? (or close to it)
I don't need to prove simple statistics and common sense. You learn that in high school.

the difference in conversational intelligence between the shit in this thread and a typical media create thread is night and day.
please don't stand/sit/hang there and claim post like these (which make up the bulk of wiiU threads) are 'attempts' to have intelligence discussion......

Next time don't cut posts in half to serve your agenda.

Odrion

Banned
It took over two pages until someone pointed out how a percentage works, and now everyone's a mathematician. smh

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Had been waiting for a reason to pick the game up. I think the sale will push me over the edge. Glad to see that this helped the game see better success.

It took over two pages until someone pointed out how a percentage works, and now everyone's a mathematician. smh

Oh, gosh. I'm laughing my butt off. LOL

Seriously, though. It's a good game. You guys should go and increase that percentage!
Or buy it on Steam!

I'm assuming this is the case. Aren't Nintendo's digital sales for indies usually nonexistent under normal circumstances?

well gunman clive has sold more than ios or android combined and the european launch of giana sisters apparently outsold the PSN release.

New002

Oh, gosh. I'm laughing my butt off. LOL

Seriously, though. It's a good game. You guys should go and increase that percentage!
Or buy it on Steam!

I picked it up yesterday. Did my part :)

All I knew before purchasing the game was that it involved solving puzzles of some sort and people seemed to enjoy it. I have only had the opportunity to play through the first stage and a bit into the second but I've already found it interesting how the two available actions can be used to manipulate the environment and solve puzzles. The fact that this has happened so early on is a good sign because I imagine things are only going to get more inventive as the game progresses. So far so good!

To my knowledge, devs are not allowed to directly reveal how much their games are selling. In other words, they can't give hard figures.

Two Tribes seem to understand that keeping in touch with the userbase is a rewardiing thing. They have a dev community in the Toki Tori Miiverse community and interact with fans. They even sent out a SpotPass notification to all Wii U users to inform them of the sale and update.

daakusedo

I was surprised how quick you got in not obvious puzzles, even more when you don't know the mechanics, if it's no too short seems like it will be a rich game.

Super happy for the game. One of the best downloadable titles I've ever played. Picked it up earlier this year for $12.25 not wanting to pay full price (as I do for every game). After playing it I regretted not buying it at full-price to give more ti the developers.

It's amazing how they created a game where you essentially have two actions : tweet and stomp (you can't even jump) and must use those to interact with creatures in the environment to progress. I honestly would get stuck for an hour on a single section but it was worth to get the satisfaction of solving it myself. Highly recommended by before the update it could be obtuse. It's impressive they went back and improved that.

Okamid3n

It's too late for this, the math part of my brain is already asleep, but I feel the impulse to do this anyway.

Assumption: 8027% is not a random number meaning "a lot".

So, no number lower than 100 yields an integer when multiplied by 81.27*, and that means that the number of previous sales must be a multiple of 100, which is, uh, well, 0.01 probable, but okay. Therefore, sales must be a multiple of 8127. What am I doing wrong.

* A 8027% increase means (x + 80.27x), which is (81.27x).

In context, 8127 or 16254 (up from 100 or 200 respectively) seems appropriately big for an indie game receiving an update relatively late after launch on a console with a limited install base. (Assuming weekly)

It could've sold, for example, 11 units the day before. Now, it would've sold 894.
894/11 = 81.2727~, rounded up to 8127%, which is rouglhy an additional 8027% increase over the original 11 sales.

You forgot to take into account that they obviously rounded up their number to a reasonable 2 digit, unless I misread your post.

Could've sold 11 units before, like I said. How'd you get 37?

Tripon

The important thing I'm taking out of this is that, as an independent developer being able to set their own prices:

- They can promote their sale.
- It has a noticeable impact on their financial bottom line.

That can only be considered a good thing.

I really enjoyed the original game on Steam; would it be worth getting TT2 on PC again since that's where I have the original, or to get it on the Wii U?

ZeroXZee

d[-_-]b;81812929 said:
No DBZ reference, GAF disappoints... as the Wii U threads are pretty much the same.

OH NO! This should be fixed right now! :O

618px-Over_9000_Vector_by_Vernacular.jpg

@Topic, glad to see this. Two Tribes it's one of the best indies devs out there! :)

Yeef

Toki Tori is the best.

The second game is pretty different from the first, which apparently a lot of people don't like.

Those people are stupid. Both games are great.

Exuro

Toki Tori is the best.

The second game is pretty different from the first, which apparently a lot of people don't like.

Those people are stupid. Both games are great.
Yep. I enjoy two more because I'm not a super genius and I prefer the more open world approach.

boxter432

It could've sold, for example, 11 units the day before. Now, it would've sold 894.
894/11 = 81.2727~, rounded up to 8127%, which is rouglhy an additional 8027% increase over the original 11 sales.

You forgot to take into account that they obviously rounded up their number to a reasonable 2 digit, unless I misread your post.

Could've sold 11 units before, like I said. How'd you get 37?

going from 894 from 11 is an 80.27(repeating of course, leroy jenkins)% increase...not 8127% lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom