• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Game Show 2005 Summary

DMczaf

Madden 360 confirmed a fucking joke. Everyone laugh at it here and here. Except DopeyFish, he has only love. Well, maybe not. New screen for you to look at... actually looks... *gasp*... pretty good! Check it out here.

:lol

Luckett_X

Banned
TGS has been awesome.Just got back from the last day, and am knackered. A in Japan for another week, but TGS was so damn amazing its gonna be untoppable.

Game of the show for me was LocoRoco PSP, I smiled throughout playing it, and loved it. So fluid and more fun than anything on DS right now. Katamari PSP was quite cool, but I'd like them to work on the control. Gunstar Super Heroes almost made me orgasm, and me and my flatmate kicked the crap out of the japanese at Chrome Hounds in the networked 360 stand. Bit miffed at lack of anything PS3 playable, if it was there i didnt see it. A guy from Criterion was in my hotel lobby this morning so that was cool to have a chat about gaming with a professional. Heard about the Revolution controller and just sighed really. Got a fair amount of swag, the best being the Okami demo disc, by far. Oh and the booth babes were hotter than what should be legal in public.

Amir0x

Banned
Luckett_X said:
TGS has been awesome.Just got back from the last day, and am knackered. A in Japan for another week, but TGS was so damn amazing its gonna be untoppable.

Game of the show for me was LocoRoco PSP, I smiled throughout playing it, and loved it. So fluid and more fun than anything on DS right now. Katamari PSP was quite cool, but I'd like them to work on the control. Gunstar Super Heroes almost made me orgasm, and me and my flatmate kicked the crap out of the japanese at Chrome Hounds in the networked 360 stand. Bit miffed at lack of anything PS3 playable, if it was there i didnt see it. A guy from Criterion was in my hotel lobby this morning so that was cool to have a chat about gaming with a professional. Heard about the Revolution controller and just sighed really. Got a fair amount of swag, the best being the Okami demo disc, by far. Oh and the booth babes were hotter than what should be legal in public.

RIP. ONTO INTERNET. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

;)

Luckett_X

Banned
Tch, as if. I have 3 extra copies of this sexy bitch, which will no doubt go to the highest bidder! Plus Im in the lobby of my hotel in Japan, hittining up the internet while my feet recuuperate. If any other Japan-knowledgeable GAF'rs know of other brilliant games/anime collectible shops in Tokyo,i really wouldnt mind a PM about them ;P

Oh yeah, in the Sega booth I played Sonic Rush. Im conflicted about it, the game is really nice and fast, buuuuuuuut the 2 screens ruin it. Too many times I didnt know where I was because I had to keep switching my eyes back and forth. But hey, the official art of the 2 Eggmen is quality. The alternate dimension Eggman is a total pimp!

I got plenty of copies of companies TGS showings on DVD, some fans because Japan is CRAZY INSANE HOT right now and a shit-ton of leaflets and suchforth. Also, I now no longer believe the japanese are any good at games as any I saw playing a game were absolutely rubbish at Shadow of the Collosus, wherein I blasted through the demo like a bastard and had the cute ass sony usher girl look all surprised.

One thing TGS has done is made me seriously question if I can continue to exist without a PSP. At most I can hold out until 2006 and LocoRoco, but Katamari PSP sings a sirens song to me, with a japanese release for Christmas supposedly.

Ok, simple question: Did Microsoft even really show up at TGS or are going for X05 ?

Looking at Amir0x's thread, the Xbox 360 announcementa could be counted on one hand. Very, very few new games, most games looking about what they did at E3, and no Megaton.

Blimblim said:

I suppose i shouldn't have put it quite that way. I apologize for the incorrect comment.

From the Microsoft PC trailer, it seemed to be the same footage. I do know that many games have taken a step up. Kameo, RR, GOW, and many others looked way better.

To be honest, that was the smallest part of my post and I probably should have just left it out, although I do appreciate the correction.

I thought we'd see loads of announcements and that we'd see Megaton type stuff.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
sonycowboy said:
I suppose i shouldn't have put it quite that way. I apologize for the incorrect comment.

From the Microsoft PC trailer, it seemed to be the same footage. I do know that many games have taken a step up. Kameo, RR, GOW, and many others looked way better.

To be honest, that was the smallest part of my post and I probably should have just left it out, although I do appreciate the correction.

I thought we'd see loads of announcements and that we'd see Megaton type stuff.
Well I was certainly hoping for a full unveiling of Blue Dragon and the other Okamato game, that's for sure. It looks like at least Blue Dragon will be unveiled right before the japanese launch to help hype the system. Not a bad idea I guess, but still I would have liked to see this game in person.

Blimblim said:
Well I was certainly hoping for a full unveiling of Blue Dragon and the other Okamato game, that's for sure. It looks like at least Blue Dragon will be unveiled right before the japanese launch to help hype the system. Not a bad idea I guess, but still I would have liked to see this game in person.

But, to the heart of my post, what do you think Microsoft's strategy at TGS was this year? It just seems strange to me that they're leading with so many "western" games that I think many think aren't appropriate for the Japanese audience. We've seen a HUGE increase in Japanese developers come on board, but it's still somewhat lacking in the KILLER title area.

Are they planning this generation in Japan to be a "foot in the door" like the US & Europe were this gen, or have we not yet seen the depth and focus of their Japanese plans? Obviously the Mistwalker games have the promise of being Killer titles, but at this point we don't know.

I got the impression that many thought TGS would be much more of a MEGATON for Microsoft, and that didn't happen, and so the natural question is WHY?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
sonycowboy said:
But, to the heart of my post, what do you think Microsoft's strategy at TGS was this year? It just seems strange to me that they're leading with so many "western" games that I think many think aren't appropriate for the Japanese audience. We've seen a HUGE increase in Japanese developers come on board, but it's still somewhat lacking in the KILLER title area.

Well, its either lead with western games, or games that don't exist yet, don't exist period, or are too early to show. Which is a big problem, cause the PS3 is right around the corner after the Xbox 360 launches.

After TGS I don't see Microsoft gaining very much marketshare, if any at all in japan.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Amir0x said:
I'm Amirox and I'm the fuckin MAN!!!! Check out this awesome post of mine!

bow1hn.gif
bow1hn.gif
bow1hn.gif

KICK-ASS post man!!! This is by far your best post yet!! :)

Oh yeah and one bone to pick with ya

● Ridge Racer 6 shown, looks pretty nice.

Can you retract this statement? It doesn't look "pretty nice", it looks fucken BADASS!!!

Amir0x

Banned
isamu said:
bow1hn.gif
bow1hn.gif
bow1hn.gif

KICK-ASS post man!!! This is by far your best post yet!! :)

Oh yeah and one bone to pick with ya

Can you retract this statement? It doesn't look "pretty nice", it looks fucken BADASS!!!

I won't retract it, but I'll add into my post that isamu says it looks BADASS!!! ;)

Johnas

I'm extremely late to do this, but I also wanted to say thanks for this thread, Amir0x. It's nice to just look at your first post to remember everything, there's just so much info.

I think at this point I could game for the rest of my life and not play everything I'd like to.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Um, thanks for the new Loco Roco video link. As some of you might have noticed, mine stopped working due to 270GB (of my 226GB) bandwidth being used up and I didn't have updated bandwidth counts until today...so ya. Lesson learned there.

(I don't think it was the LocoRoco video, but another small one I was hosting (20MB) that did it)

PhatSaqs

Banned
AB 101 said:
MS was rather dissapointing.
Agreed for the fact that Blue Dragon and Lost Oddysey werent featured. But I also think the lack of more PS3 info/gameplay footage was also disappointing. MGS4 was the cats meow but I expected more.

Oh well. X05 better rock.

jarrod

Banned
Missing handheld stuff...

PSP
-SCEI announces Piposaru Academia 2.
-Climax unveils Ore no Dungeon. Online play!
-Hudson unveils Rengoku 2: The Stairway to H.E.A.V.E.N.
-Taito unveils Zero-Shiki Kanjou Sentouki.
-Taito unveils EXIT.
-Sega unveils Puyo Puyo Fever 2.
-Sega unveils Initial D: Street Stage.
-Genki unveils Daisenryaku Portable.

DS
-Konami announces PowerPro Kun Pocket 8. Online play!
-Namco announces Matagai Museum.
-Konami unveils Azure Dreams DS.
-Konami unveils Croket! DS Tenkuu no Yuushatachi.
-Konami unveils Iron Feather.
-Konami unveils Tao: Mamono no Tou to Mahou no Tamago.
-Namco unveils Kono Quiz Yarou!!
-Bandai unveils KeroKero King DS.
-Bandai unveils Bouken-ou Beet: Vandal vs Busters.
-Taito unveils Lost Magic.
-Taito unveils Touch Game Party.
-Taito unveils Bubble Bobble DS.
-Hudson unveils Tengai Makyo II: Majimaru.
-Sega unveils Super Monkey Ball DS.
-Sega unveils Bleach DS! Souten ni Kakeru Unmei.
-Sega unveils Kouchuu Ouja MushiKing: Greatest Champion eno michi DS.
-Sega unveils Doraemon Nobitakun no Kyouryuu 2006 DS.
-Koei unviels Shin Sangoku Musou DS. Online play!
-Tomy unveils Zoids Saga DS: Arcadia no Densetsu.

GBA
-SNK Playmore announces ports of Metal Slug 2, Metal Slug X and Metal Slug 3.
-Capcom unveils Rockman.EXE6 Faltzer/Grega.
-Atlus unveils Kuniokun Collection 2.
-Atlus unveils Miracle! Panzou.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
jarrod said:

i'm buying it just for the subtitle. SOTY! here's anticipating Rengoku 3: A. B.U.S.T.L.E. I.N. Y.O.U.R. H.E.D.G.E.R.O.W.

o_O

that'll be...something. odd that they're porting 2 and x. psp emulates the first two slugs beautifully. they should do a compilation.

jarrod

Banned
drohne said:
o_O

that'll be...something. odd that they're porting 2 and x. psp emulates the first two slugs beautifully. they should do a compilation.
Yeah, SNKP seems to have quickly cooled on PSP for whatever reason, with KOF Millennium Impact seemingly dropping off the face of the earth. While I think GBA can probably handle reasonable ports of MS 1/2/X, I think MS3 would just break it. That game at least should probably be pushed to DS and/or PSP.

crunker99

jarrod said:
Missing handheld stuff...

PSP
-SCEI announces Piposaru Academia 2.
-Climax unveils Ore no Dungeon. Online play!
-Taito unveils Zero-Shiki Kanjou Sentouki.
-Taito unveils EXIT.
-Sega unveils Initial D: Street Stage.
-Genki unveils Daisenryaku Portable.

DS
-Konami announces PowerPro Kun Pocket 8. Online play!
-Namco announces Matagai Museum.
-Konami unveils Azure Dreams DS.
-Konami unveils Croket! DS Tenkuu no Yuushatachi.
-Konami unveils Iron Feather.
-Konami unveils Tao: Mamono no Tou to Mahou no Tamago.
-Namco unveils Kono Quiz Yarou!!
-Bandai unveils KeroKero King DS.
-Bandai unveils Bouken-ou Beet: Vandal vs Busters.
-Taito unveils Lost Magic.
-Taito unveils Touch Game Party.
-Taito unveils Bubble Bobble DS.
-Hudson unveils Tengai Makyo II: Majimaru.
-Sega unveils Super Monkey Ball DS.
-Sega unveils Bleach DS! Souten ni Kakeru Unmei.
-Sega unveils Kouchuu Ouja MushiKing: Greatest Champion eno michi DS.
-Sega unveils Doraemon Nobitakun no Kyouryuu 2006 DS.
-Koei unviels Shin Sangoku Musou DS. Online play!
-Tomy unveils Zoids Saga DS: Arcadia no Densetsu.

GBA
-Capcom unveils Rockman.EXE6 Faltzer/Grega.
-Atlus unveils Kuniokun Collection 2.
-Atlus unveils Miracle! Panzou.

jarrod if u can set me up with some of thse links so i can add them that would be great, you can pm or email me

Amir0x

Banned
Well I updated for probably the last time since TGS is over. If jarrod does have links to some articles/screens on some of those games I'll update one last time to include them into the additions I added. Thanks also to crunker99 for additional details I overlooked.

jarrod

Banned
crunker99 said:
jarrod if u can set me up with some of thse links so i can add them that would be great, you can pm or email me
I found everything on either IGN, GS or the publisher's home pages. The MS GBA announcements I found on Insertcredit.

Top Bottom