• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Henderson: Assassin's Creed Shadows Pre Orders are very strong

Preordering without gameplay
8tW9PT6.jpeg

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Six months away yet people are giving away hundreds on an unfinished product.

Beggars belief.

Last edited:
'in the know' is one of those catch phrases that's never gotten old. it's always sounded cool/badass. of course, it's also traditionally been used by people as a means of deception, as well: 'yeah, you heard right. & i got that straight from someone in the know'...

HisExcellency

Neo Member
Except they didn’t. The anti-woke brigade who prone to "let developers create what they want" except for when we don’t like it, got triggered.

Japan has no shortage of samurai games starring Japanese men.
Isn't the woman Japanese? I know that this is one of those fake internet controversies that isn't actually real (like the "censoring" of Eve in Stellar Blade) but there are two protagonists right? A Black samurai loosely based on a real person (who has already been in other fictional media) and a Japanese woman right?

Honestly some people are just telling on themselves when we've seen no gameplay, no real story, and no real game design, yet they see a Japanese woman and a Black man and automatically have a problem with it.

And yeah some people just claim to want the developers to do what they want. Just like some people claim to respect free speech. Until someone says some shit they don't agree with. I want Naughty Dog to make Abby and Shift Up to make Eve. Do what you want and I'll decided what to support.

feynoob

Gold Member
I honestly do not see the issue with these special edition prices because you can just buy the normal game, right? I don't buy special editions unless I know I'm going to live the game and it comes with DLC and is not priced crazy.

A special edition that costs almost double what the normal edition cost just makes whatever decision there was that much easier.
The issue is cutting contents. That is what they will do in order to make it more value for the expensive package.

HisExcellency

Neo Member
Am I the only one who doesn’t understand the point of pre-ordering this early, before even seeing it? It’s not like the game will run out before launch isn’t it? Or these pre-orders are actually about the collectors edition, which will run out sooner or later?
No I don't understand it either. If you just want the base game and not some sort of limited physical collectable with a figure or something, then I have no clue why anyone preorders anything months before the game comes out.

There's games I know I will 100% buy and I basically don't pre-order them until they can be preloaded onto the PS5. That way I can play it the second it drops. Which you could do a couple hours beforehand.

The other thing I guess I can see is if it's a physical copy. If you much prefer physical editions and you want to play day one then you might have to preorder, especially if you want it from a local store and not Amazon. Your local GameStop might get (random number I have no idea) 100 copies, 30 of which might be on XBOX. You kind of have to preorder to secure one of those copies if you want to be sure you'll have one.

But digital preorders? Literally no point whatsoever.

cormack12

Gold Member
Not surprised the description sounds amazing. Valhalla was such a beautiful world with the lighting. This is one of those franchises that can do whatever they want with really - it's just too popular to be affected by woke or not.

I'm looking forward to Hexe more with Darby back at the helm, but this will ne a great game imo

Perrott

Imagine preordering without having seen a second of actual gameplay.

You motherfuckers deserve trash corpos like Ubisoft.
Let's just say Sony uploads a CG trailer for Bloodborne 2. As long as said CG doesn't suggest that it'll be a tennis game instead this time around, FromSoft fans wouldn't need to see any gameplay to feel comfortable about preordering the game, as they know what to expect.

Same happens with Assassin's Creed. I haven't seen one second of gameplay from Shadows, but I could describe you the moment to moment gameplay in exquisite detail, because AC is a well known quantity by this point.

Shin-Ra

They’re making games for dumbasses, infrequent and casual players that don’t know or give a damn if a game’s purpose-made to break without ongoing online services.

The games and wider media is so useless at explaining simple concepts that people don’t understand what they’re buying or renting any more.

cormack12

Gold Member
Let's just say Sony uploads a CG trailer for Bloodborne 2. As long as said CG doesn't suggest that it'll be a tennis game instead this time around, FromSoft fans wouldn't need to see any gameplay to feel comfortable about preordering the game, as they know what to expect.

Same happens with Assassin's Creed. I haven't seen one second of gameplay from Shadows, but I could describe you the moment to moment gameplay in exquisite detail, because AC is a well known quantity by this point.

Yup, getting glued to fences. Running up a random wall. Getting stuck on a rock in the water - all classics :)

Assassin's creed red is going more technically advanced than anything yet lol did you read ign interview about the game only game going to come near ac red probably will be gta 6 no other games going to touch it

When games like this outsell Rebirth I want to burn it all down.

Audiophile

Still amazes me to this day that folks not only pre-order, but pre-order without any gameplay. Especially so on a property that has become so bland, homogenised, bloated and far-removed from its roots. The eagerness to lap it up based on a CGI trailer, some marketing speak and some mediocre screenshots..

You have the right to do with your money as you please, but I'm judging you a little for it.. every time you do this you're contributing to the industry decline and ruining it a bit for the rest of us.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
All the tiers and 130$ editions would only matter to someone who never played ac game.
base game is huge and by the time you will be done with it, you will not want to play and of this added crap lol.

digdug2

Diehard AC fans are going to preorder. I have been burned enough times by Ubisoft though that I have decided that I'm not giving them any more of my money. Star Wars Outlaws? Looks like it may be OK, but nah. Assassin's Creed Shadows? No thank you. The next Far Cry? I'll probably skip it.

There are a ton of games out there and many more coming down the pike, why shouldn't I be more selective with the games that I choose to buy?

Lol I've seen it on HotUKDeals. People posting this shit with a steel book for £58 and lapping it up. It's not my business how people want to spend their money, but don't whine like a bitch when publishers double down on this bullshit.

Ovech-King

Gold Member
Only reason that I preordered is to make sure I would get the collector's edition restricted to Gamestop. Otherwise, pre-ordering digital ... well.. lol

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
There seems to be an assassins creed hatred I understand it’s not assassins creed 1 but I don’t know where the disconnect is coming from and assassins creed games today are the bad guy that internet trolls stomp with a baseball bat.
205 live mic drop GIF by WWE

Zathalus

Of course they are, Assassin's Creed is a popular franchise and people love Samurai and Ninjas.

The opinions you find here and on Twitter don't reflect reality.

I won’t be preordering. I’m waiting for the Ultimate Edition to be $60 or less.
I paid for the most expensive version of Mortal Kombat 1 digitally and that was a mistake 🤦‍♂️. Won’t be doing that again. 😔

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Out of interest, why do people pre order so early?
People like my cousin.
He used to be a gamer but he's now a filthy casual because of his job, wife and 2 kids.

He always buys the next AC and COD no matter what.

He also buys all that time saver microtransaction crap 😆

so how are the mentally ill doing with this information. The showcase of this game showed me how sick people are with their absolute nonsense.

jorgejjvr

I get it will sell well most likely

But what I don't get is preordering over a cgi trailer

Like, what's the purpose of preordering? You could preload the day before, why 5 months in advance?

Sushi_Combo

Are you really going to point fingers at people who have been fans of a franchise that has a dozen games for pre ordering? They are fans. Why would a fan say, I am going to wait for more details before I buy something I am already looking forward to? Way to blame humans for being humans.
For those who have an interest will play it eventually. This won't be swaying any of the naysayers no matter what happens. It's funny seeing the hysteria on here though every time a new AC game is released.

Top Bottom