• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Warren “Sony’s PS5 sales down 29% yoy in the recent Q” (forecast FY24 to be lower than FY23)

GHG

Gold Member
SThe framing here is just hilarious.

Trust this to be his takeaway.

At least we are closer to figuring out who arthands is though.

Whats Up Stare GIF by NBA

Last edited:

Goalus

Net profit of the entire Sony group for the fiscal year is down yoy, despite the weak Yen.

Last edited:

Fabieter

And the forecast from Sony will still have them trailing the PS4 at the end of the next financial year, and that includes the launch of the new Pro.

I'm not saying it will, but that is the forecast Sony put out.

Its pretty bad to have your console decline so fast into a generation but than again they failed so miserably last FY that it cost them a few billions in value. So low-balling the sales is probably a good idea.

SHA

It's the time for this gen to start, cause this is not normal and it shouldn't have to be this way cause nobody deserves what's happened since late 2020 upto this moment.

Zathalus

Its pretty bad to have your console decline so fast into a generation but than again they failed so miserably last FY that it cost them a few billions in value. So low-balling the sales is probably a good idea.
It follows the PS4 sales trend, around this time PS4 sales declined yearly as well. I think Sony assumed that demand would pick up after the initial shortages but it doesn't look like it has. A price drop could probably do it, but it appears Sony wants to make a profit on console sales.

PS4/PS5 sales look close though.

Fabieter

They had plenty of good console exclusives this past year though. FF16, Spider-Man 2, Helldivers 2, Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade, and FF7 Rebirth.

Well sony need to understand that at this point they can go day and date. Not that exclusive aint working (they are, you see thar with nintendo but if consumers know all these games are coming to another platform most will just wait it out. And people are super aware these days. I know there is fomo but if you surive the first two weeks that's gone :p.

Banjo64

cumsessed
It’ll be interesting to see next years results. Too early to say if year 3 was the consoles’ peak or not, but if it does decline again next year it can’t possibly reach PS4 numbers.

It’ll be interesting to see next years results. Too early to say if year 3 was the consoles’ peak or not, but if it does decline again next year it can’t possibly reach PS4 numbers.
It doesn’t need to reach PS4 numbers.

They have a much bigger install base now with PC versions coming in.

Console sales are slowing. It’s going to be a bumpy period for developers and studios.

Imagine not knowing what you're talking about but having the confidence that you do..

Console sales always slow during a generation, it's part of the standard product life cycle. That being said as far as developers are concerned, userbase are only growing. While hardware sales slow down, software sales pick up.

As PS5 pro news started to enter, also PS4 had jam packed great exclusives than PS5 has right now. Although many of PS5 exclusives are amazing but major studio's are still lacking to drop good stuffs. Sony need to work on that asap.

This disingenuous use of percentages for headlines is insane.

PS4 annual sales for comparison:

EP6RUqdX4AAozrj

Draw your own conclusions.

So many factors that people aren't considering when comparing ps4 and ps5 and it's certainly done on purpose.

• PS4 dropped in price in year 3
  • PS4 got a midgen refresh in year 3
  • PS4's sales potential was cut off at the tail end of its product life cycle due to the pandemic
  • PS5 had a pandemic restraining supply chain
  • PS5 has increased in price in year 3
  • PS5 isn't getting a midgen refresh until year 4
  • At some point the PS5 will probably drop in price
  • GTA6 is going to sell more PS5s than any game sold PS4s
  • PS5 will have a longer tail unless there is another pandemic

I can't envision a scenario in which the PS5 doesn't outsell the PS4. Maybe if it stays 500 dollars for its entire product life cycle.

Zathalus

So many factors that people aren't considering when comparing ps4 and ps5 and it's certainly done on purpose.

• PS4 dropped in price in year 3
  • PS4 got a midgen refresh in year 3
  • PS4's sales potential was cut off at the tail end of its product life cycle due to the pandemic
  • PS5 had a pandemic restraining supply chain
  • PS5 has increased in price in year 3
  • PS5 isn't getting a midgen refresh until year 4
  • At some point the PS5 will probably drop in price
  • GTA6 is going to sell more PS5s than any game sold PS4s
  • PS5 will have a longer tail unless there is another pandemic

I can't envision a scenario in which the PS5 doesn't outsell the PS4. Maybe if it stays 500 dollars for its entire product life cycle.
Sony themselves don't think it will catch up by next year though. They expect the gap to actually widen. It could be that the tail end of PS5 drops less then PS4, but I have no idea.

Last edited:
Sony themselves don't think it will catch up by next year though. They expect the gap to actually widen. It could be that the tail end of PS5 drops less then PS4, but I have no idea.

Do you expect the PS5 to be discontinued at the end of this fiscal year?

Again, GTA6 isn't coming out this fiscal year. Their expectations for PS5s will be greater than PS4 launch aligned from FY25. And the PS4 was abruptly discontinued in 2020, so you have a sharp decrease in sales in FY20 and FY21.

The PS4 Pro was the same price as the PS5 Digital at launch. The Pro was immediately discontinued and the 300 dollar PS4 never got another price cut nor did it get additional units created despite cross gen plans.

GHG

Gold Member
Sony has their best quarter ever, but missed their target

Xbox podcasts : Sony is over, how are they going to recover ?

6dfa1b61_edit_img_cover_file_40658238_1458672499_aexqc4.gif

You know what, let them run with it.

Wrong about everything, always made to look foolish but they still continue. It's what they deserve.

Zathalus

Do you expect the PS5 to be discontinued at the end of this fiscal year?

Again, GTA6 isn't coming out this fiscal year. Their expectations for PS5s will be greater than PS4 launch aligned from FY25. And the PS4 was abruptly discontinued in 2020, so you have a sharp decrease in sales in FY20 and FY21.

The PS4 Pro was the same price as the PS5 Digital at launch. The Pro was immediately discontinued and the 300 dollar PS4 never got another price cut nor did it get additional units created despite cross gen plans.
I'm just repeating what Sony is expecting. They are forecasting the PS5 to be 1.9 million units behind the PS4 end of next financial year. Could GTA6 and a price cut make up that difference? Probably, but it really is difficult to say with changing market conditions. The ongoing changes at Xbox probably play a role, it could be millions flock to PS5 due to that debacle. Or not, but it certainly will be interesting to watch.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Being 25% higher in price than ps4 at this point in thevlifecycke (adjusted for inflation) probably doesn't help make casuals want to buy it.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Wow, I wonder if the PS5 will outsell the PS4 at this rate.
I don't think it will, and with Xbox severely down it's going to be the worst generation for consoles in a while.
This disingenuous use of percentages for headlines is insane.

PS4 annual sales for comparison:

EP6RUqdX4AAozrj

Draw your own conclusions.

Could you share the PS5 equivalent? PS5 has beaten year 3 by exactly 3 million units but is forecasting a 1.4 million drop for next year, if they then see a drop for year 5...Bad times.

I think it's time to face the reality that years of arguing warring fanboys have held onto the thought that a lost sale for Xbox is a sale gained for Playstation or visa versa. The reality is far from it.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I don't think it will, and with Xbox severely down it's going to be the worst generation for consoles in a while.

Could you share the PS5 equivalent? PS5 has beaten year 3 by exactly 3 million units but is forecasting a 1.4 million drop for next year, if they then see a drop for year 5...Bad times.

I think it's time to face the reality that years of arguing warring fanboys have held onto the thought that a lost sale for Xbox is a sale gained for Playstation or visa versa. The reality is far from it.
There’s only one console (technically two 😉), and brand, having bad times. Everybody else is just fine.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
There’s only one console (technically two 😉), and brand, having bad times. Everybody else is just fine.

Xbox is not the industry. Both PS5 and Swtich (for it's age) are doing fantastic. Pro+GTA 6+Switch 2 will boost the market yeat again.

It's bad to be Xbox though, so the silly spin from Warren is understandable.

Maybe, you haven't quite understood what I am saying here. I am saying Xbox flatlining, and these users are not going to Playstation. The market is shrinking drastically. If Sony see's further declines over the next few years its going to be bad for the games industry. They need to deliver some serious system selling games to push sales. Channels are stuffed with stock, shipments are slowing. Games cost magnitudes more to develop than they did on PS4, they can't just match PS4 sales in both software and hardware. Let's see what the future brings but the industry is far from "Fine"

GHG

Gold Member

tenor.gif

Who said this? Or is it stories made up in your head? Please go ahead and quote them.

Also, the PS5 equivalent is in the OP and in the other thread covering this topic:

King Dazzar

The figures look healthy to me, when considering where we are in terms of product life. If they hit this years target of 18m, then YOY, sales will have only decreased by 13.5%, following a very healthy previous year. Interesting Christmas quarter to come, with the Pro due for release.

Warren's just flying his true colours today.

Varteras

Gold Member
The figures look healthy to me, when considering where we are in terms of product life. If they hit this years target of 18m, then YOY, sales will have only decreased by 13.5%, following a very healthy previous year. Interesting Christmas quarter to come, with the Pro due for release.

Warren's just flying his true colours today.

I'm most curious about how the combination of a Pro model and GTA6 will impact sales. Sony also seems to persist with the idea that Concord is releasing this year. Being a lot of former Bungie devs, it's definitely worth keeping an eye on and we should actually be seeing it soon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom