• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition |OT| Lara shot first

RetroStu

Banned
Face looked fine before. I don't get the redesign.

Probably to make you think 'ah yes so they have spent some time doing changes and adding stuff to the game, i guess it really is the definitive version'.
The first thing you are going to notice is the main character.

This really is the endgame <3.

In motion the redesign looks good, but her face in those screenshots is jarring.

not to be fickle, but the faces are literally 2 or 3 frames off making her eyes look huge- compared to the squinting PC pic

but whatever-looks much improved over my archaic PS3 version :)

UnrealEck

I can't decide which face I like best. I think the new face looks mostly fine animated but there are some instances where it seems less fitting to the character. Like she looks too determined. I think the original model's look was sort of worried to convey how she's new to killing and being in the whole situation she's in.

The tree improvements are nice, especially in the forest area. I don't think the new TressFX looks as nice though.

Overall I think $60 is way too steep, especially considering there's no new content.

xion4360

Yep PC version looks better which is slightly annoying when this is a cross gen game without next gen consoles in mind when this was made, you would of thought they would of been able to atleast match the PC version when the PC version is pretty much a better looking last gen game.

there are so many other examples that would be the exact opposite.. but if you want to look at one example and go with PC version looking better thats fine. Ill just play my game I dont know why I even care sometimes.

Oppo

So – am I right in thinking the release date for this moved up?

Just got a Best Buy spam that said Jan 28... I gotta go out to replace a mouse, wondering if I should look for this?

Jonm1010

Banned
there are so many other examples that would be the exact opposite.. but if you want to look at one example and go with PC version looking better thats fine. Ill just play my game I dont know why I even care sometimes.
If you have some examples please do share.

So far from all the screens I've seen of direct comparisons the pc version looks superior.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
So &#8211; am I right in thinking the release date for this moved up?

Just got a Best Buy spam that said Jan 28... I gotta go out to replace a mouse, wondering if I should look for this?

Street date was lifted but not every store employee knows that and some stores haven't gotten it in. Worth asking if you're going to be there anyway.

Oppo

Street date was lifted but not every store employee knows that and some stores haven't gotten it in. Worth asking if you're going to be there anyway.

Thank you.

And to the thread, a word of caution &#8211; that Laura face GIF &#8211; if you guys really put stock in issues like IQ and detail, you will not be using a 256 colour aniGIF to compare. Just sayin'.

hoserx

I really can't get over Lara's new look, though the TressFX does make her hair look marvelous...........

WW90obS.jpg

xion4360

So far from all the screens I've seen of direct comparisons the pc version looks superior.

PC version does not have subsurface scattering or drip maps, touched up models for everyone else (all comparisons here focus on lara) the extra foliage with animations to react to the wind, the new particle system, the weather systems like wind and rain particles that light up, the enhanced lighting, the water physics and generally more vibrant colors. You cant just look at a screen here and there, notice a texture that looks more defined on PC and therefor PC looks superior.. it doesnt work like that. Playing the game on PS4 reveals quite a few things that are different and it does generally look like a prettier game with more happening onscreen. Yes there are some examples of PC winning out like its version of tressfx being more detailed under close inspection and tesselation being available, and even better performance depending on your PC, but its still the PC version of last gen's tomb raider and therefor is left behind when you take that game and add more to it.

Blizzje

What direct comparisons, though? The definitive version screenshots are captured from a video, you can clearly see the compression artifacts.
I would suggest waiting for some direct screenshots to compare.

TyrantII

Its probably not the best source to use yeah but i doub't a stream would make the textures look that bad, i mean you can even see the flat sides of the tree on the PS4 version, it looks bad.

Need more sources. Its possible that the texture isnt loaded/streamed correctly.

Also possibly they missed some areas when swapping them out.

Bruiser, apologies if you've answered this, but you mentioned it's a 16gb install...how long were you waiting before you had the option to play?

Sure, use the worst possible angle to prove your point.

Actually playing the game, the model in the initial release definitely looks slightly 'wrong' to me. Her face looks slightly droopy, almost a bit asiatic, though I though it was just doing to poor modelling...New one looks more defined and realistic. Certainly much closer to the CG version anyway.

I forgot to mention in my earlier impressions, there was one thing that REALLY FUCKING ANNOYED ME playing the PS4 version last night. For whatever stupid reasons the developers decided to use that light on the DS4 in some really stupid ways. Anytime you have a torch in your hand that light is flickering red and yellow. Back and forth, back and forth. I'm playing the game in a dark room and this fucking light is flickering in my lap the whole fucking time. I go into the options thinking "they had to give you the option to turn this off". NOPE! Even worse I read that anytime you fire a gun the light also flickers. I just never got to that point last night, but I've read it in previews. :|

This fucking madness needs to end. Sony made a stupid mistake putting that light on the controller to begin with. The last thing that should be happening is the highlighting of this stupid mistake by using it in incredibly stupid ways like this. NO ONE WANTS THIS. Please make it stop.

Even more amazing, I believe in one of the interviews with the producer on this project, the guy literally said "some of our players want to play in the dark" in reference to this light being used on the controller. So I figured there had to be an option to turn it off. I saw none. Un-fucking-believable.

Is the game triple buffered on both consoles? Otherwise going for variable framerate seems weird.

I don't know for sure, but I can tell you I saw no screen tearing playing the first hour of the PS4 version.

The real shame would be using this facial model for Tomb Raider 2. They should go back to the original or rework it again.

They've said this is a "first attempt" at what a next gen Lara will look like. So I suspect the sequel is gonna have further tweaks.

Why? This is thread about TR and I'm talking about the differences seen in TR. I'm just thinking that different developers might get different result trying to port a game, even on the same hardware, so the differences we're seeing regarding performance might not be all about the hardware as it was first assumed.

You're welcome to think whatever you wish, but there are testable metrics for the power of these two consoles, and the PS4 is clearly the winner in that contest. So it should come as no surprise that the PS4 version of any game looks/performs better than it's XB1 counterpart.

Because of those facts, your desire to then point to differences in this game and try and find other excuses for them, seems rather odd.

Can I play devil's advocate here and say maybe they caught her in between expressions or something? Using one single screenshot of her face to discount the entire change seems a bit harsh.

I'm pretty sure this is the case. Of course the people putting together these gifs seem determined to convince the rest of us the PC version is still the best option.

All I can tell you is I finished this game on PS3 last summer, and playing the first hour on PS4 last night, it never once crossed my mind that her face looked weird. So regardless of what specific screen grabs might show, playing the game nothing struck me as odd about her look.

xion4360

Bruiser, apologies if you've answered this, but you mentioned it's a 16gb install...how long were you waiting before you had the option to play?

your able to launch the game really quickly.. I didnt even notice because it was so fast. I may have been distracted.

njean777

Never played it, will get it for the one just to play the xbox more. Ps4 takes up all my time since my friends have them. Not a big stickler for fps as long as 30 is maintained, anything below that can become bothersome for me.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

RealityPales said he walked to his kitchen, picked something up and it was ready by the time he sat back down.

Jachaos

Prefer the old face as well. It had something to it but I can't quite describe it. Anyway, I feel it had more of the personality.

kurahador

Actually playing the game, the model in the initial release definitely looks slightly 'wrong' to me. Her face looks slightly droopy, almost a bit asiatic, though I though it was just doing to poor modelling...New one looks more defined and realistic. Certainly much closer to the CG version anyway.

Yeah...it always bothers me that Lara's old face---particularly her eyes, looks too similar to her japanese friend (can't remember the name but you know who).

Her new face literally looks/ shaped a lot more towards her CGI render in the opening cutscenes. I like the new face. The CGI face and the in-game prev gen face looked totally different IMO.

bombshell

your able to launch the game really quickly.. I didnt even notice because it was so fast. I may have been distracted.

RealityPales said he walked to his kitchen, picked something up and it was ready by the time he sat back down.

PS4&#8482; #4ThePlayers

PC version does not have subsurface scattering or drip maps, touched up models for everyone else (all comparisons here focus on lara) the extra foliage with animations to react to the wind, the new particle system, the weather systems like wind and rain particles that light up, the enhanced lighting, the water physics and generally more vibrant colors. You cant just look at a screen here and there, notice a texture that looks more defined on PC and therefor PC looks superior.. it doesnt work like that. Playing the game on PS4 reveals quite a few things that are different and it does generally look like a prettier game with more happening onscreen. Yes there are some examples of PC winning out like its version of tressfx being more detailed under close inspection and tesselation being available, and even better performance depending on your PC, but its still the PC version of last gen's tomb raider and therefor is left behind when you take that game and add more to it.

I find tesselation, proper textures and shadows much more noticable. Besides is the lighting really enhanced when foilage and limbs don't cast a shadow? Seems like the lightning is worse.

delta25

Banned
is it really all that fair to compare a direct capture to something that was taken from a video?

None the less, as its stands even in this rudimentary comparison the PS4 version looks near equal to the PC version.

EGM1966

TBH while I definately prefer the PC version of her face it looks like she's just had an air jet blown in her face in the comparison vs the PC shot - is she going to look permanently like that during the PS4/XB1? Doesn't look natural at all.

UnrealEck

Where did the shadows go?

No shadow casting from the grass, foilage, or the roots/limbs in that shot.

You can really see the tesselation on that tree. Very noticeable in that screenshot. I'm positive tesselation is turned off on the DE.

What I don't understand is why the textures don't look as good. PS4 has plenty of memory for them. Why skimp?

shandy706

Let's not judge the new face based on one pic, please...

That's not the PC version on the highest setting either...sooooo

No, but the model is the same, isn't it?

I'd have to fire the game up at home and see if the poly-count and skin was still the same. It's obvious instantly to me the textures, lighting,and hair on the upper image come from a lesser setting than what I played at.

Don't worry PC people. PC is god and you are its master.

Many of us PC gamers also have a PS4 and/or Xbox One.

There has to be a good reason for us to pick it up.

Top Bottom