• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition |OT| Lara shot first

That's not the PC version on the highest setting either...sooooo

Many of us PC gamers also have a PS4 and/or Xbox One.

There has to be a good reason for us to pick it up.

I see no real reason for anyone with a decent PC to pick this up on PS4 or 360. Especially since you can buy it for what, 15$?

GringoJB

So here's a weird one: I'm seeing 2 different bestbuy.com SKUs for the PS4 version (3089045 and 3201013). I'm assuming that one is art book packaging and one is not? Anybody know?

I preordered yesterday to try to get the art book packaging (and my Gamers Club Unlocked discount), and it has me down for the 3201013 SKU... that's all that was available at the time...

szaromir

Banned
Please explain why it even matters then. The only time I've ever heard someone express concern over triple buffering was because they were worried about screen tearing.
Errr no. Triple buffering is to prevent stuttering when the framerate fluctuates (at the cost of higher latency).
I see no real reason for anyone with a decent PC to pick this up on PS4 or 360. Especially since you can buy it for what, 15$?
$4 on Amazon xD

Bgamer90

Banned
I forgot to mention in my earlier impressions, there was one thing that REALLY FUCKING ANNOYED ME playing the PS4 version last night. For whatever stupid reasons the developers decided to use that light on the DS4 in some really stupid ways. Anytime you have a torch in your hand that light is flickering red and yellow. Back and forth, back and forth. I'm playing the game in a dark room and this fucking light is flickering in my lap the whole fucking time. I go into the options thinking "they had to give you the option to turn this off". NOPE! Even worse I read that anytime you fire a gun the light also flickers. I just never got to that point last night, but I've read it in previews. :|

This fucking madness needs to end. Sony made a stupid mistake putting that light on the controller to begin with. The last thing that should be happening is the highlighting of this stupid mistake by using it in incredibly stupid ways like this. NO ONE WANTS THIS. Please make it stop.

Even more amazing, I believe in one of the interviews with the producer on this project, the guy literally said "some of our players want to play in the dark" in reference to this light being used on the controller. So I figured there had to be an option to turn it off. I saw none. Un-fucking-believable.

That does sound pretty annoying.

Should be an easy thing to patch though.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Many of us PC gamers also have a PS4 and/or Xbox One.

There has to be a good reason for us to pick it up.

Uh, I'm a PC gamer with a PS4 and there is no damned way in hell I'm picking this up for PS4. Are you just looking for a reason to turn on your PS4 or something?

puzl

Banned
No, but the model is the same, isn't it?

Textures, lighting, etc.... all changes based on the quality you use.

Let's see ultra PC in that same shot, just for fairness sake. I mean, the PC has to contest against the "definitive" console edition after all, so it's only fair we see how it looks "definitively" on max spec PC too.

Errr no. Triple buffering is to prevent stuttering when the framerate fluctuates (at the cost of higher latency).

First I've heard of this.

Well, on the first page of this thread I mentioned seeing minor stutters in certain scenes if I whipped the camera around 360 degrees. So make of that what you will.

geordiemp

Let's not judge the new face based on one pic, please...

tumblr_mzddxlmEy81qi0854o4_500.gif

tumblr_mzddxlmEy81qi0854o3_500.gif

Bottom image is so much warmer and pleasing - which one is which by the way as there is no labels ?

shandy706

True, but it's still ok to chime in if you are making a comparison and might have some intention to purchase.

Heck, I've bought like 3 different versions..or more...of some games. Not unusual to double or triple dip if a new version of a game or a remake comes out.

Bottom image is so much warmer and pleasing - which one is which by the way as there is no labels ?

It appears the top one is the PC version cranked down graphically (aka settings not turned up) or the last-gen version.

In that case, the bottom one is certainly better looking. I think this is a 100% pick it up if you only played the 360/PS3 version or have never played it and don't have a capable PC.

Top is PS3, bottom is PS4

Well...that makes a lot more sense.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

What? I've always heard that it's lower latency (than double buffering) at the cost of a memory hit.

Wonko_C

I thought triple buffering was used to allow for frame drops that are not multiples of the refresh rate when vsync is engaged, and that without vsync, double or triple buffering is useless?

Am I wrong thinking that using double-buffered Vsync means that if my framerate drops from 60 fps it is only able to drop to 30, 20, 15, 10, and so on? Meanwhile triple buffered vsync allows it to drop from 60 to 1 and anything in between (59, 47, 33, etc.)

The PC version of Tomb Raider allows me to choose between double buffer and triple buffer, I'll check them out to see If i notice any differences.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Funny, I thought the same thing, but about the top one.

The one without TressFX enabled. Pretty pointless comparison pic, so don't read too much into it.

It uses the same face model as PC (without tessellation) so the comparison is not at all pointless.

szaromir

Banned
What? I've always heard that it's lower latency (than double buffering) at the cost of a memory hit.
It increases latency since it delays what you on the screen by one frame.

I thought triple buffering was used to allow for frame drops that are not multiples of the refresh rate when vsync is engaged, and that without vsync, double or triple buffering is useless?

Am I wrong thinking that using double-buffered Vsync means that if my framerate drops from 60 fps it is only able to drop to 30, 20, 15, 10, and so on? Meanwhile triple buffered vsync allows it to drop from 60 to 1 and anything in between (59, 47, 33, etc.)
You're correct.

First I've heard of this.

Well, on the first page of this thread I mentioned seeing minor stutters in certain scenes if I whipped the camera around 360 degrees. So make of that what you will.
OK, thanks.

UnrealEck

Same scene on PC:

ibdzX3h8syNrQG.gif

I like both to be honest. I think her eye colour looked really weird in the original model. They should have made it darker/brown instead of green.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The added subsurface light scattering shader should make her skin in general look a lot softer and less plastic/flat surface than the original.

Trojan X

Banned
The one without TressFX enabled. Pretty pointless comparison pic, so don't read too much into it.

No problem.

Looks like UnrealEck put up the real PC pic though I'd must say that mine looks better probably due to the 2560x1600 resolution, which makes the game looks absolutely incredible.

UnrealEck

No problem.

Looks like UnrealEck put up the real PC pic though I'd must say that mine looks better probably due to the 2560x1600 resolution, which makes the game looks absolutely incredible.

Oh yeah and mines is a Fraps video of a Youtube video. But I doubt much is lost to be honest. Also the PS4 gif is of a Youtube video too.

So when this releases in Europe, if I've never played it before and the cheapest I can get it is £35, is that worth it?

The 60fps hype for this game really makes me hope the next Uncharted is 60fps.

UnrealEck

So when this releases in Europe, if I've never played it before and the cheapest I can get it is £35, is that worth it?

No. It's a good game but wait for it to come down to £15 or £20. But then I'm fussy. I just wouldn't give them the money for this on principle alone.

bombshell

Yes, if you've not played it before it's absolutely worth it. The game is great, but I can't justify to buy it for myself, because I've played it on PS3 already.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Picked it up.

My first Tomb Raider game ever.

Unless you count playing the demo to the originals repeatedly back in the day.

Definitive version definitely looks better than last gen.

PC versus Definitive seems to be your preference on New versus Old Lara... or "I have a 4k display and I laugh at your "definitive" title".

TAJ

TressFX physics are very simplified in definitive edition based in these gifs.

I watched a stream for hours last night (I have it on PC.) and the PS4 hair just seems heavier. That's bad for showing it off on top of her head in light wind, but the ponytail looks better during action.

nib95

Banned
Picked it up.

My first Tomb Raider game ever.

Unless you count playing the demo to the originals repeatedly back in the day.

It's actually a surprisingly Solid title and pretty content rich. Lots to do, collect, upgrade etc. I would have bought it if it was cheaper, but I already played the current gen version so there's little point at full whack.

MaLDo

Have to disagree there. The SSS on the skin alone makes the DE look much more natural. Artistic differences aside.

SSS is a great addition, but it's barely visible in that comparisson. TressFX seems static in PS4 gif, Eye lids animation seems better in pc too (maybe because gif framerate, or maybe becuase the better motion blur). Lips animation is missing in PS4 gif too (maybe it happens later). Hair shadows have lower resolution in DE. Another difference, DE gif lacks ambient occlusion between Lara's head and hair, so it seems that the hair is floating over the head.

the radar box " indicators for example" look better on PS4.

but without a question, the hair, the skin, the hair movement, all look much better on PC. like,,, much much better

That blur is because gif resolution is not native. You can see it looking at QTE text.

delta25

Banned
Textures, lighting, etc.... all changes based on the quality you use.

Let's see ultra PC in that same shot, just for fairness sake. I mean, the PC has to contest against the "definitive" console edition after all, so it's only fair we see how it looks "definitively" on max spec PC too.

I don't think anyone has made any claims to the definitive version being the best version outside of an opinion. In reality its PC-gaf that seems to be getting all wrapped up in this shit, hence moving the goal posts from 60FPS to tessellation in order to try and persevere some kind of PC dominance. This isn't necessarily a knock at PC-gaf, because as it stands they have brought some validity to the table, but its clear a good chunk of them are simply in it to cling to anything that will give the PC version the edge. And as its stands IMO, its looking like both version will have their benefits.

Sanic

I was holding off on seeing what retail footage looked like, as I had been interested in buying this. Kinda bummed to see that the improvements are really insignificant at best, and the PC version is $9 at the moment, so not a hard choice to make.

Hopefully we can get some higher quality footage soon so that the SSS can be more accurately evaluated...i've seen no difference in what i've watched so far.

It drives me mad that the banality of needless resolution/graphics discussion has infested almost all console gaming threads these days. Sometime soon we will start talking driver updates. :/

Top Bottom