• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition |OT| Lara shot first

Can we talk about the game and not the framerates ? Xbox one owner with no regrets and just wants to know how much better the game looks compared to last gen.
Not the same game, not the same content.

Its the exact same game, what is there to say? It looks 1080p instead of 720p. If you're hardcore enough so that new hair and more foliage is going to make this a fresh and exciting experience, pay $60 for a port of a <1 year old game and have no regrets about that either.

What a weird release. CD spends two weeks underselling the frame rate and then Square dibs it out the door a week before the review embargo.
They probably 'undersold the framerate' to avoid disappointing Xbone users prior to release (and losing sales). Now that the news is out, it's possible that they pulled the street date to start selling before more people find out.

Jack cw

PC: better texture quality, better AA, better Tress FX hair, tesselation
PS4: better geometry, vegetation, lighting and wind effects.

Not sure if so Definitive

That sounds a lot different from what you orignially posted. The difference is indistinguishable, plus the PS4 screens are from a compressed video, which is even more impressive as the textures even compressed hold up to ultra. All in all, the PS4 version looks better, so I'd call it definitive.

That tree texture seems pretty blurry on PS4 in comparison to the pc screenshot. I thought it used the same textures as pc?

That sounds a lot different from what you orignially posted. The difference is indistinguishable, plus the PS4 screens are from a compressed video, which is even more impressive as the textures even compressed hold up to ultra. All in all, the PS4 version looks better, so I'd call it definitive.

What? Are we looking at the same screenshots? Compare the tree in the middle screenshot. That's a pretty big difference

Jack cw

What? Are we looking at the same screenshots? Compare the tree in the middle screenshot. That's a pretty big difference

Are you even reading? The screens are captures from a compressed video and yet the textures look on par. This is something great actually.

xion4360

That tree texture seems pretty blurry on PS4 in comparison to the pc screenshot. I thought it used the same textures as pc?

its not a huge even in that but you are picking up the few textures that look more defined on PC ultra. generally speaking the textures are on par or slightly reworked on ps4 and thats excluding objects that have been more heavily reworked like some surfaces and trees.

+1.

Her face looks way worse in the PS4 version. Her eyes especially look really flat.
her face looks better. what you dont like is her reworked look. but technically speaking, her face and the rest of her body aside from tesselation looks better.

Is the game triple buffered on both consoles? Otherwise going for variable framerate seems weird.

I think there's a good chance it is. The PC version had lots of options when it came to frame rate (V-Sync off/on, double buffer, triple buffer).

I really want to pick this up, but I've already played the PC version and it's full price. My system is really CPU limited so frame rate wasn't too good in the more open areas. If the PS4 version maintains 60 in Shantytown and the beach area I might have to bite. Keep us updated folks!

antitrop

I totally agree with you and this is a shame (at least for me!).
I don't really understand why they made these changes to her face ... :(
The real shame would be using this facial model for Tomb Raider 2. They should go back to the original or rework it again.

genbatzu

All I see are softer lips, tbh.

quick gif:

5k0GXm.gif

PC: Lara
PS4/Xbone: Derpara

Fredrik

Ok. So let's throw TR out of the discussion. So how do you explain Ghosts, AC4, and Battlefield 4 all running at significantly higher resolutions on PS4?
Why? This is thread about TR and I'm talking about the differences seen in TR. I'm just thinking that different developers might get different result trying to port a game, even on the same hardware, so the differences we're seeing regarding performance might not be all about the hardware as it was first assumed.

mrJared

Banned
They probably 'undersold the framerate' to avoid disappointing Xbone users prior to release (and losing sales). Now that the news is out, it's possible that they pulled the street date to start selling before more people find out.

ding ding ding! you understand this industry perfectly.

shandy706

Eeeeeeew

PC version certainly looks far better overall. Everything from the "look" of lara to the textures, to the DoF look better on the PC version. Looks like I'm not buying this on my consoles...unless there's some other incentive. Good pickup if you only played it on the 360/PS3 though.

Also, surprised there's not a lot of direct captures/screens from anyone here yet. I'm sure they're coming.

RetroStu

Banned

Yep PC version looks better which is slightly annoying when this is a cross gen game without next gen consoles in mind when this was made, you would of thought they would of been able to atleast match the PC version when the PC version is pretty much a better looking last gen game.

Yep PC version looks better which is slightly annoying when this is a cross gen game without next gen consoles in mind when this was made, you would of thought they would of been able to atleast match the PC version when the PC version is pretty much a better looking last gen game.

Didn't someone say these screens were sourced from an online stream? Do we have any direct feed?

Bgamer90

Banned
I read that, the amendment still mentions ~35 avg. I know I'm nitpicking but it reminds me of some of the spin from Penello, the power deficit went from 40% to 30% ..

Wasn't trying to spin anything. The average wasn't confirmed so I simply said the range based on what I remember being stated.

Anyway, "Next-gen Lara's" eyes look really stretched out in that pic above. Strange.

cameron

Can I play devil's advocate here and say maybe they caught her in between expressions or something? Using one single screenshot of her face to discount the entire change seems a bit harsh.

It seems more like they didn't have enough time to re-do all the facial animations for whatever cutscene. All the care and nuance that may have went into an expression in the old face would not directly transfer well into the new face. That's why the new face looks goofy in some scenes and suffers from amblyopia. It's akin to PC mods with character head swaps, where any expression close to neutral looks fine, but falls apart the further it goes away from default.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Next-gen face looks really good in videos, but horribly mutated in photo form. That comparison makes her look like something out of Basket Case.

RetroStu

Banned
Didn't someone say these screens were sourced from an online stream? Do we have any direct feed?

Its probably not the best source to use yeah but i doub't a stream would make the textures look that bad, i mean you can even see the flat sides of the tree on the PS4 version, it looks bad.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
PC hair looks straight out of a shampoo commercial. Definitive hair looks like it hasn't been washed. Definitive wins there.

No, but we'll have basically perfect grabs soon. Omegabalmung said he's buying this game.

Top Bottom