• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition |OT| Lara shot first

Hmm, if there are defferent developers doing the X1 and PS4 versions I guess it might not be as easy as to blame the hardware for the performance differences talked about in the other thread.

Ok. So let's throw TR out of the discussion. So how do you explain Ghosts, AC4, and Battlefield 4 all running at significantly higher resolutions on PS4?

Just realized GameStop called me to pick it up tomorrow. Will be nice for the weekend. Anyone who got it mind saying how large the install size is on the PS4?

Just over 16 gigs.

To those are are playing it, would you consider the upgrade bigger than other cross-gen titles on PS4 like AC4, COD:ghost and such?

Probably bigger than those two.

I have a question! :)

And how was the framerate on PS4?

I answered this on the first page of this thread.

SO if I were to go to my gamestop tomorrow I could purchase this? or is it ymmv?

I believe all Gamestop's are selling it.

Good to know, I said it in the other topic, but I have no urge to have an odd case 2 months in to my PS4 game collection. Guess the normal version it is.

I'm the same way, and the GameStop had the art book version opened. I left with the standard version.

Uh-oh. That's me. So how bad was it stuttering just by turning the camera 360°?

It was never bad, but sometimes you could tell it wasn't exactly 60. As you rotate and it came across the more intensive vista behind you, it stuttered slightly.

I think Sony/SE allowed street date to be broken to cash in on the fps furore and the interest it garnered.

Doubtful. The furor isn't as big as you're thinking.

Can we talk about the game and not the framerates ? Xbox one owner with no regrets and just wants to know how much better the game looks compared to last gen.
The game hasn't changed at all, maybe there is some dlc I didn't know but most people have already played it and only interested in this to check the visual fidelity. If you've never played it, fair enough but people here have and seem to want to talk about the graphics.

Thrakier

I clarify in the article that I misused the term "average". It does not "average" 30fps, which would imply it dips below, but I was told steers closest to 30fps, or sits around in the 30s, than anywhere else. Wouldn't be surprised if the technical average was indeed ~35fps. Similarly the PS4 average will not be 60fps, since it does dip.

Which, in real life, means that both games are far from being "definitive" with unlocked framerate and regular dips.

It's a shame that devs still don't understand framerate.

stryke

Can anyone comment on the better textures?

comparison to ultra on pc

Top is PC, bottom is PS4

bNkoAsN.jpg

rPOhow1.jpg

ASUdbZF.jpg

DYpv5Ec.jpg

R0Rfist.jpg

zIwhbwT.jpg

jaaz

Which, in real life, means that both games are far from being "definitive" with unlocked framerate and regular dips.

It's a shame that devs still don't understand framerate.

I'm not sure you understand frame rates... As someone said, 60FPS games on consoles are rarely locked at 60. They are capped at 60 and occasionally dip from there.

Also, where did you get that the PS4 version "regularly" dips? From what I am reading it stays mostly at 60 and dips in heavy action sequences. That is far from a "regular" drop, which would bother me (at least).

So it is actually closer than people want to believe.

I hope df does an In depth look for this game.

Depends on what you consider closer. If the Xbox One version averages 35fps and the PS4 version averages 55fps or even 50fps, we're still talking about an average 20-15fps difference between the two which is about half the performance of the Xbox One version.

The gap is still wider than most people realize (TM ElTorro Enterprises).

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So how 60fps is this? Are we talking about 45-60? 50-60?

pixlexic

Banned
Depends on what you consider closer. If the Xbox One version averages 35fps and the PS4 version averages 55fps or even 50fps, we're still talking about an average 20-15fps difference between the two which is about half the performance of the Xbox One version.

The gap is still wider than most people realize (TM ElTorro Enterprises).

Frame rate perception isn't linear. 20 - 30 is a lot bigger difference than 30 - 40.

but I am not going to say more in this thread about it even though it is an interesting conversation to have ... it would be best to separate it from a particular game.

Lo-Volt

I'm not gonna lie, the street date getting broken makes this a little more appealing even at that price. I could just walk down the street later.

Frame rate perception isn't linear. 20 - 30 is a lot bigger difference than 30 - 40.

but I am not going to say more in this thread about it even though it is an interesting conversation to have ... it would be best to separate it from a particular game.

Oh, you're looking at it from a perception POV. I'm looking at it from a technical performance POV, so I missunderstood what you meant.

kazebyaka

Banned
You mean the one, with less foliage, more blur, worse character model, worse lighting and weaker textures?

PC: better texture quality, better AA, better Tress FX hair, tesselation
PS4: better geometry, vegetation, lighting and wind effects.

Not sure if so Definitive

So its out already with no reviews?

I really want to know how much better it is than ps3 version. I dont know whether to pick it up cheap on ps3 now or wait til i have a ps4 when its cheaper than

You've waited this long, might as well wait a little longer and play on the ps4. It'll probably be cheap on the ps4 as well by the time you but it

xion4360

worse character model? lol look at that definitive lara, her eyes look terrible, overall the new face model is annoying me to look at.

Worse from a technical perspective? no. if you like her new look or not is something else, but she looks better as a character model.. and there are pretty huge differences when it comes to the amount and detail of foliage throughout the game, and how said foliage and other cloth objects move when they did not move at all or very little before. also lighting looks better, the glow around fire looks great and there is a ton more particle effects.

Worse from a technical perspective. and there are pretty huge differences when it comes to the amount and detail of foliage throughout the game, and how said foliage and other cloth objects move when they did not move at all or very little before. also lightning looks better, the glow around fire looks great and there is a ton more particle effects.

oh i'm happy with those, I just really hate how the new Lara looks, it's by no means better and did not need to change that much at all.

One of the first renders used in adverts around the net for this next gen version use lara with what looks like a broken nose from a boxer, it's terrible.

antitrop

They removed all the ethnicity from her face. Her face had personality before, now she just looks like another generic white girl.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
What a weird release. CD spends two weeks underselling the frame rate and then Square dibs it out the door a week before the review embargo.

Top Bottom