• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition |OT| Lara shot first

I have a question! :)

And how was the framerate on PS4?

Well I watched his stream and what I gathered is it runs 60 in most parts of the game while dipping a bit during big explosions to 50's but that's just up to where he left off which was pretty far for one night. Also I believe he said in comparison to AC 4 he gives tomb raider the edge. I'm sure he will go into more detail when he gets back on.

Confirmed;

So Nixxes is responsible for PC & PS4 (definitive) versions. And they helped out UFG for the Xbone (definitive) version.

Nice investigating. Would be interesting to see how much work Nixxes does with the various ports they handle in terms of adding new effects and the like. Their PC versions of games are always great.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Eh, $60 isn't really a lot of money to some.
True. If I had the money to waste I probably would too (and I'm an old school TR fan that only half liked this game lol).

nah nah nah-im sure im not the only oe usig store credit for it- haha

I still have the $60 GameStop gift card I got my my birthday, so I'm using that to get it. If I didn't have it I'd probably wait for a price drop.
That's justifiable :p.

I have a question! :)

And how was the framerate on PS4?

Absolutely. I thought the differences between Tomb raider on PS4 and PS3 were much more substantial than CoD and ACIV. Without a doubt. Character models in TR:DE absolutely trounce the other two and that hair... Very impressive.

But still not worth $60 if you have already experienced it on PS3, 360, or (especially) PC.

Framerate ran at 60fps most of the time. During heavy combat it would dip, but not significantly. I don't think it ever dropped below 45-50.

Gurish

Well I watched his stream and what I gathered is it runs 60 in most parts of the game while dipping a bit during big explosions to 50's but that's just up to where he left off which was pretty far for one night. Also I believe he said in comparison to AC 4 he gives tomb raider the edge. I'm sure he will go into more detail when he gets back on.

Absolutely. I thought the differences between Tomb raider on PS4 and PS3 were much more substantial than CoD and ACIV. Without a doubt. Character models in TR:DE absolutely trounce the other two and that hair... Very impressive.

But still not worth $60 if you have already experienced it on PS3, 360, or (especially) PC.

Framerate ran at 60fps most of the time. During heavy combat it would dip, but not significantly. I don't think it ever dropped below 45-50.

Sounds great, Thank you both!
Wish ND would do a definitive version for TLOU that as good as TR, a man can only dream :p

I said I wouldn't double dip , but I'm really really tempted, loved the first one and it's been long enough that not everything is fresh in my mind.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I've got the PC version on Steam but haven't played it yet. I'm going to wait for the eventual definitive edition PC update before I do.

Fredrik

I said I wouldn't double dip , but I'm really really tempted, loved the first one and it's been long enough that not everything is fresh in my mind.
I jumped in yesterday, preordered it on PS4. Played it a lot on 360, but there's so much to do and collect and it's not story-driven enough to stop me from enjoying several play throughs.

Piggus

Really tempting, but gonna hold out for the sale. I rushed through the PC version before GTAV came out and wouldn't mind giving it another go especially with it being 60 fps on PS4.

Picked it up at GameStop tonight. Only got about an hour in. PS4 version.

Game looks really good at 1080p. Framerate is only going to bother those who are highly framerate sensitive. It is variable, but I only really noticed it when I was trying to, ie, spinning the camera, etc. It's 60 most of the time, and my guess is it dips into the high 40s and 50s here and there.

Still haven't seen any intense action, so I can't give a true assessment, but for those wondering, those are my observations from the first hour.

So it's not locked? That's disappointing. Makes me wonder if the same is true of the X1 version. Drops below 30fps?

tensuke

Won't pay more than $40 for it, but absolutely plan to pull a Costanza and double dip in the future. Didn't even consider remote play, now I can take Lara into bed with me...shamefully sobs alone in a corner

60fps games are rarely locked, that goes for all versions of cod etc, they all drop at some point.

Yeah, I figured, but still..as a last gen port with some extra bells and whistles, I thought they might he able to have a stable frame-rate. Not a deal breaker for me. not at all.

I wonder though, is TressFX impacting performance?

Both are unlocked. I don't know if the Xbox One version drops below 30 FPS but it has been stated that it goes up to 45 FPS; Average of 35-40 FPS.

Seems like ideal conditions for screen tearing.

MCD

http://www.nixxes.com/nixxes/newsdetail/20-uk/news/167-trhd-announced

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition is a revamped and upscaled version of Tomb Raider, which was released in March 2013. In collaboration with Crystal Dynamics, Tomb Raider Definitive Edition will be released for Sony Playstation 4 and Microsoft Xbox One on January 28, 2014. In addition to converting the game to Playstation 4, Nixxes Software provided support to United Front Games, the developer responsible for the Xbox ONE version of the game.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Last call for this, but anyone interested in attending a launch event for this game in Redwood City, California on Monday morning (10-1) should PM me. I have some free passes to give away.

stryke

http://www.nixxes.com/nixxes/newsdetail/20-uk/news/167-trhd-announced

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition is a revamped and upscaled version of Tomb Raider, which was released in March 2013. In collaboration with Crystal Dynamics, Tomb Raider Definitive Edition will be released for Sony Playstation 4 and Microsoft Xbox One on January 28, 2014. In addition to converting the game to Playstation 4, Nixxes Software provided support to United Front Games, the developer responsible for the Xbox ONE version of the game.

Yep, artist revealed it earlier in the thread.

Gurish

Yeah, I figured, but still..as a last gen port with some extra bells and whistles, I thought they might he able to have a stable frame-rate. Not a deal breaker for me. not at all.

I wonder though, is TressFX impacting performance?

Seems like ideal conditions for screen tearing.

Like RealityPales answered, most of the time it's 60 on PS4 and only dips in some of the heavy combat scenes but not too much, sounds pretty good, most games that runs on 60 FPS dips too when there is a lot going on including COD and BF, as long as it's not too deep (he said it doesn't go below 45-50 at most) than it's alright.

X1 version according to reports is mostly 30 frames and get to 45 only when there is no action on screen and when environments are simple, so it won't tear too much because it's mostly 30.

It is an updated/optimized version of TressFX, but that is a huge performance hit on PC even with powerful systems, so I have to imagine it's doing a bit of damage here as well.

Thanks. Yeah, I'd heard and seen how big of an impact TressFX had on PC. Happy to hear they've optimised it, but it seems like some extra work might be needed if they intend to use it often...

Anyway, can't wait to play this next week.

Like RealityPales answered, most of the time it's 60 on PS4 and only dips in some of the heavy combat scenes but not too much, sounds pretty good, most games that runs on 60 FPS dips too when there is a lot going on including COD and BF, as long as it's not too deep (he said it doesn't go below 45-50 at most) than it's alright.

X1 version according to reports is mostly 30 frames and get to 45 only when there is no action on screen and when environments are simple, so it won't tear too much because it's mostly 30.

Thanks. That sounds great. Was there any mention of screen tearing for the X1 version? I'm thinking I might double dip and pick it up when it drops to £20...

Anyway, I'm not as frame-rate sensitive as others, so it's not an issue for me if it drops below 60fps on PS4. I just can't wait to see how it looks at 1080p with all the bells and whistles.

Jack cw

Both are unlocked. I don't know if the Xbox One version drops below 30 FPS but it has been stated that it goes up to 45 FPS; Average of 35-40 FPS.

You should not hide this little fact though:
The Xbox One build can technically reach around 45 fps, though this performance is generally only achieved during the most empty, simplest environments.
And average is 30fps, not 35 to 40! (LOL)

geordiemp

Last time I tried to get into a tomb raider game it was tomb raider underworld....which I never got past the first levels as found it a bit of a chore.

I assume this new edition is a lot better given almost 5 years since I last tried it....

Saw some dude play it on twitch while reading gaf
Looks solid and better than PC

PS4 am monster

Bulletshonor?

I'm watching it right now, seems he's pretty far into the game. And yeah, it looks fantastic. Lots of effects that weren't present in the 360 version...

Also seems to have voice commands.

Nah, that info still stems from Eatchildren's source.

Ah, okay. Thanks again.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
You should not hide this little fact though:

And average is 30fps, not 35 to 40! (LOL)

I clarify in the article that I misused the term "average". It does not "average" 30fps, which would imply it dips below, but I was told steers closest to 30fps, or sits around in the 30s, than anywhere else. Wouldn't be surprised if the technical average was indeed ~35fps. Similarly the PS4 average will not be 60fps, since it does dip.

Top Bottom