• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition |OT| Lara shot first

Jack cw

I clarify in the article that I misused the term "average". It does not "average" 30fps, which would imply it dips below, but I was told steers closest to 30fps, or sits around in the 30s, than anywhere else. Wouldn't be surprised if the technical average was indeed ~35fps. Similarly the PS4 average will not be 60fps, since it does dip.
Ah! Thx for the clarification :)
This is good news then.

quetz67

Banned
I clarify in the article that I misused the term "average". It does not "average" 30fps, which would imply it dips below, but I was told steers closest to 30fps, or sits around in the 30s, than anywhere else. Wouldn't be surprised if the technical average was indeed ~35fps. Similarly the PS4 average will not be 60fps, since it does dip.

How long until someone measures the average and we can put this to rest?

Ntsouls

Banned
Its crazy how 50fps or around that , all of a sudden makes this game better.
And seeing the actual model used makes it seem less sexist .

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
From the link;

I like how you twisted that to the high end of Xbone's performance. ;)

Read the amendment in the exact article you linked. I used "average" stupidly and incorrectly.

How long until someone measures the average and we can put this to rest?

Dunno, when someone who actually has the game sits down with the right tech and works it out. And yeah, a lifted embargo should get some actual reports going.

artist

Banned
Read the amendment in the exact article you linked. I used "average" stupidly and incorrectly.
I read that, the amendment still mentions ~35 avg. I know I'm nitpicking but it reminds me of some of the spin from Penello, the power deficit went from 40% to 30% ..

Can we talk about the game and not the framerates ? Xbox one owner with no regrets and just wants to know how much better the game looks compared to last gen.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

For a frame rate to stay at 60fps a good portion of the time the game needs to be able to run at higher than 60fps in undemanding areas. We won't see it because of the cap, but if dips really are fairly small and infrequent then the PS4 version could theoretically average 60fps without limiting.
Trine 2 could run at 120fps if that was supported by HDMI but you'll only ever see 60.

Can we talk about the game and not the framerates ? Xbox one owner with no regrets and just wants to know how much better the game looks compared to last gen.

Looks fantastic based on the twitch stream. Lots of effects that weren't present or dialled down in the last gen version and it just looks better overall...(this is the PS4 version though, but I assume it's not all that different in terms of visuals on the X1)

Looks fantastic based on the twitch stream. Lots of effects that weren't present or dialled down in the last gen version and it just looks better overall...(this is the PS4 version though, but I assume it's not all that different in terms of visuals on the X1)

Good to hear :) Cant wait to see a side by side comparison.

Jack cw

As this is multiplatform and many people here are apparently interested in the tech comparision between the two versions you could either go to the OT of the game or try to ignore the tech talk here. Many of us have played it on PC and/or PS360, so the tech is basically the deciding factor to double dip or not.

zainetor

Banned
Easy when you play the pc simultaneously
Dat multitask and triple monitor setup

No, I mean the differences from the screen I saw are not huge.

Pc maxed out and definitive edition. Aside from the model, there's no huuuge difference.
But I only played the pc version maxed out, So I may be wrong.

ymmv

Banned
After some digging I think Nixxes is developing the PS4 version. From the Nixxes presentation at AMD's Dev Summit in Nov 2013;

unx0joj.png

http://www.slideshare.net/DevCentra...ief-with-new-amd-technology-by-jurjen-katsman

Does anyone know if Nixxes is also doing Thief for the PS4?

As this is multiplatform and many people here are apparently interested in the tech comparision between the two versions you could either go to the OT of the game or try to ignore the tech talk here. Many of us have played it on PC and/or PS360, so the tech is basically the deciding factor to double dip or not.

True but there has already been multiple threads debating the fps differences, so do we really need to go over old ground.

Would rather talk about what's new in both versions and decide it its worth double dipping.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
No, but I'm assuming there are already regular versions out there. The artbook version is sold out at Amazon.
They look pretty similar to the Kingdom Hearts/ FFX PS3 editions. A few mm bigger than the regular case. If you want uniformity, you better go with the barebone case.

Good to know, I said it in the other topic, but I have no urge to have an odd case 2 months in to my PS4 game collection. Guess the normal version it is.

flying dutchman

Neo Member
In all honesty, if the xb1 versions is identical graphically, with the same effects and textures, and keeps a minimum 30fps then this is good news for xb1. Having this, Forza and Ryse as almost launch titles leads me to think as the tools for xb1 get better the whole esram thing might not be such a problem.

Does anyone know if Nixxes is also doing Thief for the PS4?

It doesn't seem like it as their official site only states that they're doing the PC version. The PS4 version seems to be the one that they like showing off at events, so i'm guessing that Eidos Montreal is handling that themselves.

For a frame rate to stay at 60fps a good portion of the time the game needs to be able to run at higher than 60fps in undemanding areas. We won't see it because of the cap, but if dips really are fairly small and infrequent than the PS4 version could theoretically average 60fps without limiting.
Trine 2 could run at 120fps if that was supported by HDMI but you'll only ever see 60.

thats actually a good point, but the problem is we will never know.

Majanew

Banned
Picked it up at GameStop tonight. Only got about an hour in. PS4 version.

Game looks really good at 1080p. Framerate is only going to bother those who are highly framerate sensitive. It is variable, but I only really noticed it when I was trying to, ie, spinning the camera, etc. It's 60 most of the time, and my guess is it dips into the high 40s and 50s here and there.

Still haven't seen any intense action, so I can't give a true assessment, but for those wondering, those are my observations from the first hour.

Uh-oh. That's me. So how bad was it stuttering just by turning the camera 360°?

pixlexic

Banned

So it is actually closer than people want to believe.

I hope df does an In depth look for this game.

Not played the last gen version and would like to pick it up on the ps4 - is it worth £37?

It's worth it even if you have played the last gen version. In my opinion, at least. It's not a traditional TR game, but it's a good reboot with a solid base that can be built upon in a sequel...

I bought the "old" version of Tomb Raider on day one last year and absolutely loved it. Definitely on my top 10 list for 2013.

I'd talk myself into picking up this new release if it were, say, $40. But as it is, I can't justify paying full price again.

Gamefly to the rescue!

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Don't see myself picking it up. The hair looks killer, but outside of that I was expecting denser looking forests, and just more art injected into the world. Doesn't look to be the case from what I've watched. Considering the 360 version was (is?) on sale at Gamestop for $10, that version is probably what I'd recommend to someone who hasn't played the game. Unless you feel some extra fps and nicer textures are worth an extra $50.

Not quite what I'd hoped for.

ref

I'm curious to see the DF report or some Gaffer Xbone impressions of the game. I might pick this up on PS4 later on once there is a price drop since I got bored and never finished it on PC. Would have been nice to get this on PC though, oh well.

theytookourjobz

I'm curious to see the DF report or some Gaffer Xbone impressions of the game. I might pick this up on PS4 later on once there is a price drop since I got bored and never finished it on PC. Would have been nice to get this on PC though, oh well.

Even if they made a "definitive edition" for PC it wouldn't even be close to the improvement from current to next gen. Why wouldn't you just play the superior PC version you already own?

timshundo

In other news the original version is now in the Mac App Store, sans multiplayer. The Mac Steam version got delayed until the 30th. That version will have multiplayer. Weird.

Top Bottom