• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Definitive Edition - PlayStation 4 = ~60fps, Xbox One = ~30fps

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheZjman

Banned
I never even knew FPS was even a thing until last year when i started reading here.

Maybe it's just me but i struggle to tell the difference, unless it drops in which case it is obviously noticeable.

It won't stop my enjoyment of the game in XB1 in any way.

Most of that's just in your head. Objectively there isn't that much of a difference between 720 and 1080.

Very funny definition of objective you have there.

1080p is a huge difference in terms of pixel density, and almost if not more important, it's the native res of nearly every TV nowadays. Upscaled resolutions always look blurry and crap.

Cyborg

30FPS will Always Deliver Better Story-Telling than 60FPS in Games – Heres Why

All the peeps of the Gaming World have been going crazy over 30 FPS and 60 FPS standards this last year. From 60fps/1080p being thought the new Next Gen standard to Ryse downgrades. But there a point many people are missing, one which i hope to shed some light on today, the point that why 30 FPS cant and shouldn’t ever be replaced with 60fps.

30fps vs 60fps – The Magic of Story Telling Lies in Lower FPS, 30 FPS will always deliver a more “Cinematic” Experience than 60FPS.

I am of course making quite a bold claim and the burden of proof lies with me. One which i am more than willing to shoulder. Let me begin by saying that the minimum limit that our brain needs to perceive moving frames as a seamless entity ( a video) is 24 Frames Per Second. This is one of the reason 99% of Movies are shot at 24 FPS. Though this was originally due to Sound Hardware limitation of Old Cinema, it has now become the Cinematic Standard. The 24 fps of the Cinema Industry is roughly equivalent to the 30 fps standard of the Gaming Industry. When you see a video shot at 24 fps / 30 fps there are holes to fill and your brain automatically does this by literally creating stuff out of your imagination : also known as movie magic. The More frames you increase, the less you brain fills in, the less the “magic”.

Proof of Concept: Hobbit 24 FPS vs 48 FPS analogy to the 30FPS vs 60FPS Gaming Standard

So, Notice how the 48FPS video looks, Sped Up, Weird and almost too Real (in a Bad Way) ? That is called the Soap Opera Effect. Because we grew up in a world where reality tv and soap operas were shot at a higher FPS our brains are now hard wired to associate mundane reality with Higher FPS. And i think you can see now what i meant by our brain filling in the gaps at lower FPS. The Original trailer looks magical and truly “Cinematic”. Of course you might be one of the minority who actually like the sped up, but in my opinion that is probably because of the Novelty Value.

30fps vs 60fps

The more Frames Per Second we increase in our Gaming Standards the less “Magical” they will feel.
I remember when playing Alan Wake (at 30fps) that it felt unbelievably like a movie to me, the sudden attacks of darkness and the way everything was moving about, i wonder if the magic would have been there with 60FPS. If i could clearly see how everything moved – probably not. Likewise in Cinema the Smokes and Mirrors fall away with increased fps – and story telling is all about the illusion. Of course some games would actually benefit from higher frames per second like Racing Games and Fighting Games (Tekken) but Games in which story telling is a main part would do better with the 30FPS Standard.

http://wccftech.com/30fps-vs-60fps-30fps-better-story-telling-games/

can you people finally drop this "60fps is better" nonsense

I dont give a fck about 30 vs 60 fps but what you are posting is just silly.

foxbeldin

Even the 10% resource dedication doesn't hinder it that much. Unless I'm mistaken (and it's very possible that I am), the fact that Xbone is running at half the framerate despite having 'only' ~40% less shader power seems to indicate that there's a bottleneck somewhere else in Xbone that means you can't even get close to its theoretical best. That seems like it would be a pretty disastrous case of mis-engineering. ROPs/fillrate, possibly?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=98160155&postcount=1550

The Hobbit is a movie, not a videogame.

Therefore it has perfect motion blur, all the time, on all assets, and is downsampled from infinity. Games don't have that, that's why they need high resolution and high framerates.

Even the 10% resource dedication doesn't hinder it that much. Unless I'm mistaken (and it's very possible that I am), the fact that Xbone is running at half the framerate despite having 'only' ~40% less shader power seems to indicate that there's a bottleneck somewhere else in Xbone that means you can't even get close to its theoretical best. That seems like it would be a pretty disastrous case of mis-engineering. ROPs/fillrate, possibly?

To be fair - it could be that the XB1 is capable of performing 45 FPS consistently, but no developer in their right mind would lock a build at that framerate. The vast majority (all?) games run at 30 or 60 until you approach some of the high end PC settings.

orioto

Good Art™

All the peeps of the Gaming World have been going crazy over 30 FPS and 60 FPS standards this last year. From 60fps/1080p being thought the new Next Gen standard to Ryse downgrades. But there a point many people are missing, one which i hope to shed some light on today, the point that why 30 FPS cant and shouldn’t ever be replaced with 60fps.

30fps vs 60fps – The Magic of Story Telling Lies in Lower FPS, 30 FPS will always deliver a more “Cinematic” Experience than 60FPS.

I am of course making quite a bold claim and the burden of proof lies with me. One which i am more than willing to shoulder. Let me begin by saying that the minimum limit that our brain needs to perceive moving frames as a seamless entity ( a video) is 24 Frames Per Second. This is one of the reason 99% of Movies are shot at 24 FPS. Though this was originally due to Sound Hardware limitation of Old Cinema, it has now become the Cinematic Standard. The 24 fps of the Cinema Industry is roughly equivalent to the 30 fps standard of the Gaming Industry. When you see a video shot at 24 fps / 30 fps there are holes to fill and your brain automatically does this by literally creating stuff out of your imagination : also known as movie magic. The More frames you increase, the less you brain fills in, the less the “magic”.

Proof of Concept: Hobbit 24 FPS vs 48 FPS analogy to the 30FPS vs 60FPS Gaming Standard

So, Notice how the 48FPS video looks, Sped Up, Weird and almost too Real (in a Bad Way) ? That is called the Soap Opera Effect. Because we grew up in a world where reality tv and soap operas were shot at a higher FPS our brains are now hard wired to associate mundane reality with Higher FPS. And i think you can see now what i meant by our brain filling in the gaps at lower FPS. The Original trailer looks magical and truly “Cinematic”. Of course you might be one of the minority who actually like the sped up, but in my opinion that is probably because of the Novelty Value.

30fps vs 60fps

The more Frames Per Second we increase in our Gaming Standards the less “Magical” they will feel.
I remember when playing Alan Wake (at 30fps) that it felt unbelievably like a movie to me, the sudden attacks of darkness and the way everything was moving about, i wonder if the magic would have been there with 60FPS. If i could clearly see how everything moved – probably not. Likewise in Cinema the Smokes and Mirrors fall away with increased fps – and story telling is all about the illusion. Of course some games would actually benefit from higher frames per second like Racing Games and Fighting Games (Tekken) but Games in which story telling is a main part would do better with the 30FPS Standard.

That is a joke post right ?

Anyway, 60 fps is better for any game that as action and camera movement while you play.

But this is a little silly debating how the diff is relevant or not for this game or another. The real problem here, for Microsoft, is that the perceived value of their 100$+ is weak compared to the competition, and that won't help the sales.

Yikes, that's quite a megaton. Tough break for the Xbone.

But MS doesn't and won't care, because most non-enthusiast gamers don't care about framerate and this won't translate into lost Xbone sales.

Sure am glad I went Wii U and PS4 this gen, though!

Artex

Banned
you know we can almost write up a script for these events now.

1. News breaks that PS4 is demonstrably better at something thanks to its specs/developer environment
2. First 200 posts all "holy fucking shit", "dis gun be good" and on the other side "lazy devs" and "i dont really need to play this in 60 anyway, 30 is fine for this type of game."
3. Someone posts Arthur Gies twitter feed, where he predictably tries to downplay the entire thing while retaining an air of false objectivity
4. Major Nelson's Fun Facts
5. A billion people rightly bring up Albert Penello's 30% post and how he disrespected this community with his deceptions
7. People trying to pretend they're "skeptical" at the news until they hear it from a "better source" (which coincidentally never comes for them)
8. Then people move from trying to deny the news to pretending nobody will notice it or it's not really important for anything anyway. Semantics games all over the place.
9. 30+ other pages of photoshops and other such hilarity

Insert your own steps, it's a game :D

This is....very accurate.

allan-bh

So can you list any PS3 or 360 games that ran at the same resolution as PS2 games of the previous gen? Yeah didn't think so. 1080p is a standard on the system that was designed specifically with 1080p in mind. Sorry but the vast majority of games on PS4 will be 1080p throughout the generation.

900p on PS4 will be an improvement. PS3 has a lot of games lower than 720p.

Hmm.. I'll go with what some of the xbox fans are saying, half baked drivers?

30fps vs 60fps

Just drive a formula 1 car in Forza 5 and tell me theres no need for 60fps in specific games...

Larson

Banned
This is shocking. If a great developer can't even make a last generation game 60 FPS then there must be something wrong with the Xbone.

Chobel

I am fine 30fps, that article really proved that 30 fps are the best way. II noticed the sped up stuff in The Hobbit too and was really bothered by it.

30fps is now better than 60fps?

L24cy.gif

Nev

Banned
One thing is being ok with 30fps (I am), but saying it's better than 60fps? Wow.

There is absolutely no way 30fps is better than 60fps. Please stop, you're just embarrassing yourselves. That article is absolute bullshit and I can't believe some people are posting it as a serious defense of 30fps.

jayu26

To be fair - it could be that the XB1 is capable of performing 45 FPS consistently, but no developer in their right mind would lock a build at that framerate. The vast majority (all?) games run at 30 or 60 until you approach some of the high end PC settings.
It's unlocked! So if it is capable to maintaining 45 it will stay there. Article says that it averages 30.

Dennis

Banned
Yikes, that's quite a megaton. Tough break for the Xbone.

But MS doesn't and won't care, because most non-enthusiast gamers don't care about framerate and this won't translate into lost Xbone sales.

Sure am glad I went Wii U and PS4 this gen, though!

Oh I am pretty sure they care.

How is Xbone doing compared to PS4 sales-wise?

I think MS is pretty damn sensitive to any suggestion they are the also-ran machine when it comes to game performance.

30fps vs 60fps

I thought you bluffed this article but I read the link and can't believe it's real. I mean, my god.

pixlexic

Banned
Yes, just like you said before, in the future games, both versions will look almost identical just like NFS: Rivals, right?

lol, please tell me you're joking?

Actually since we were talking about resolutions before then yes. I said we will see xbone games at 1080p but with lesser graphics. This game is the same graphics and same resolution but different frame rates. It's actually very much the same point of the resolution will be the same but something has to give.

tesla246

1. News breaks that PS4 is demonstrably better at something thanks to its specs/developer environment
2. First 200 posts all "holy fucking shit", "dis gun be good" and on the other side "lazy devs" and "i dont really need to play this in 60 anyway, 30 is fine for this type of game."
3. Someone posts Arthur Gies twitter feed, where he predictably tries to downplay the entire thing while retaining an air of false objectivity
5. A billion people rightly bring up Albert Penello's 30% post and how he disrespected this community with his deceptions
7. People trying to pretend they're "skeptical" at the news until they hear it from a "better source" (which coincidentally never comes for them)
8. Then people move from trying to deny the news to pretending nobody will notice it or it's not really important for anything anyway. Semantics games all over the place.

This got a chuckle out of me, its so accurate!

I never even knew FPS was even a thing until last year when i started reading here.

Maybe it's just me but i struggle to tell the difference, unless it drops in which case it is obviously noticeable.

It won't stop my enjoyment of the game in XB1 in any way.

Play COD anything, then play dead rising 3. If you can't tell a difference still, then the Tomb Raider Acceptable Edition was made for you.

spectyre

Nail on the head. This is why I'll read through 20+ pages.

Momentary

Banned

30fps vs 60fps

Well once everything starts running at 48fps and this generation or the next generation of kids grow up with that, they'll associate that with cinematic. Even now when people watch movies on "120hz" or "240hz" TVs there is a "soap opera" effect. You're archaic way of thinking isn't going to hold any merit once the kids these days become the next late teens and young adults.

B.O.O.M

I will say that 30FPS fine..the issue is the competing console getting a clear and big advantage over the XBone version, at the same price. This is a bit beyond the comparisons we saw last gen.

Piggus

900p on PS4 will be an improvement. PS3 has a lot of games lower than 720p.

900p on PS4 will be the exception, not the rule. Do some research into the actual hardware and you'll understand why. Sup 720p games last gen were also an exception. My point is that no game last gen ran at the same resolution as the generation of games before it. Every generation brings with it new standards in resolution and other effects and on PS4 1080p is that standard.

King_Moc

Banned
Wow, that's a much bigger difference than any multiplats we saw on the Ps3/360 days.

Are people really trying to claim that 30fps is BETTER than 60fps? Fanboyism truly knows no bounds.

DemonNite

30fps vs 60fps

Thanks for the article. 24fps > 30fps > 60fps for the best “Cinematic” experience.

I will tell everyone here that we should stop optimising games straight away. And add letter boxing to all.

Actually since we were talking about resolutions before then yes. I said we will see xbone games at 1080p but with lesser graphics. This game is the same graphics and same resolution but different frame rates. It's actually very much the same point of the resolution will be the same but something has to give.

So a game moving at 60fps "looks" the same as one moving at 30fps? With the massive proviso that you freeze time when you make the comparison, LOL. This is like Zeno's arrow.

Well once everything starts running at 48fps and this generation or the next generation of kids grow up with that, they'll associate that with cinematic. Even now when people watch movies on "120hz" or "240hz" TVs there is a "soap opera" effect. You're archaic way of thinking isn't going to hold any merit once the kids these days become the next late teens and young adults.

Agreed. 48/60fps doesn't mean "soap opera", we only believe it because of tradition/upbringing. If Hollywood suddenly made every film in 48fps, it would become the new norm for "high production blockbuster" and make 24fps films seem jittery and dated - the same way 16fps silent films look now.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I am fine 30fps, that article really proved that 30 fps are the best way. II noticed the sped up stuff in The Hobbit too and was really bothered by it.

MisterX would be proud.

But again, whether 30fps isn't the point. It proves that the PS4 is more powerful.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
For it average 30fps, while hitting 40's occasionally, would mean that the dips are below 30.

I've used the word "average" incorrectly, to be perfectly honest. I should have said the Xbox One build stays close to 30fps for most part, can go up to 45 (peaks here rarely), meanwhile the PlayStation 4 build stays close to 60fps for most part, but does dip below.

30fps vs 60fps

Dearest bud, I'd like to thank you for showing me the light. Thanks to you I just smashed my PC up. I can once again enjoy true video game immersion, to escape the horrible reality of Moyes.

Ploid 3.0

This guy is truly unbelievable.

What if he's somehow hoping to get in on a under the table microsoft xbox one deal like the youtubers. Get people to view your tweets and get $10 per 1k. I made a mistake and clicked that picture 3 times to blow it up. It's working.

I'm kidding. I doubt he's being paid by microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom