• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Definitive Edition (PS4/XB1) is 30 FPS

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
People pissed about 30fps either have no idea of how much of a performance hog tressfx is or seriously overestimate the capabilities of the new gen consoles. It was pretty much expected.
Very true. On my PC the game was practically about 15FPS on High (and one or two things on Ultra) with Tress-fx enabled. Hell, I don't think it even run all that well in 720p on Low settings with it enabled. Oh, and any bigger closeups of Lara caused literally a slideshow with probably 5FPS. To think that they have this enabled, and a bunch of other improved shaders and stuff is actually quite impressive (if they can keep it at steady 30FPS).

And a 660ti and a i5 2500k @ 4.3GHz can't keep the framerate over 30fps all the time with everything maxed while using tressFX either so there's that.

Tux

Very true. On my PC the game was practically about 15FPS on High with that enabled. Hell, I don't think it even run all that well in 720p on Low settings with it enabled. Oh, and any bigger closeups of Lara caused literally a slideshow with probably 5FPS. To think that they have this enabled, and a bunch of other improved shaders and stuff is actually quite impressive (if they can keep it at steady 30FPS).

As long as it's locked at 1080p/30 fps. AC:BF is, and that game looks beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2Uza8TUbQU

This was not the case for the PS3. Games were advertised as 720p/30 fps. But would drop to 15fps during some parts of the games.

Tabular

Banned
Wasn't it always 30 fps? I had no problems with the ps3 version and look forward to playing the superior PS4 version.

h92C7134A

Good news is you can still sell your Ps4/Xbone for full price & put the money towards a real gaming machine... a PC.
60fps last gen ports guaranteed on it!

So uh...can they just put the updated Lara and such in the PC version? Because that kills the PS4 one in basically every other way from what I'm seeing.

This game was 20-30 fps on 360/ps3 and that's where the initial engine was targeted. The PC port had better textures and a handful of DX11 features PLUS the tressFX but it was still the same core game - mean to be played in high detail at 30 fps. That many of us PC owners (myself included) were able to basically max the game out with tress FX off at 1080p and maintain 60fps a good portion of the time is just a bonus for PC owners.

The PS4/XB1 have high end netbook CPUs that were bested by desktops in 2009, they are coupled with a bunch of ram and the equivalent of a 6870(PS4) or a 6850(XB1). These machines aren't miracle workers, especially only a couple months after launch. Expecting them to turn on every bell and whistle while also adding a layer of special effects not seen in any previous version AND a rewritten TressFX hair simulation (when said feature was ridiculously demanding even on a high end PC) while also expecting the performance to double ? It's just a bit much.

I've little doubt in my mind that a direct port , simply plopped into 1080p with the Hires PC textures would likely have managed 60fps on both consoles but they wanted it to look noticeably better then the 360/ps3 release.

Are these systems capable of doing this game at 60fps ? Maybe ? I don't know. It is early and perhaps with 100% custom code , a large team and some damn good programmers they could do it. OR , they just target 30 fps and crank up the details. 60fps does indeed always look better then 30fps but if it means it will be exactly the same game as before versus looking quite a bit better , I'd sooner go for better graphics. Especially if it's locked 30(I imagine it could get close to 60 in low demand scenes on PS4 but drops rather quickly during combat and explosion filled sequences so a stable framerate is better, xbox one probably does 20-40fps , so for parities sake it's better to just say they're both 30).

Ideally , in the future , when sequels and such are being made, I'd like to have a developer weight the type of game they're making with the available horsepower. 1080p 60fps should be a goal for any game sure but it frees up a fair amount of horsepower to knock it down to 30 fps. Roughly as much as switching down to 720p actually. On that note , would people rather square enix kept this port at 720p to maintain 60fps ? Most of us have 1080p TVs now so the image quality will drop substantially in doing so.

On PC, the sky is the limit, everything can and should be supported because PC owners can always spend more money to push things further. With consoles, even these brand new ones, there is a finite limit on what can really be done.

1920X1080 @60FPS should be first priority
1600X900 @60FPS if the res drop guarantees FPS 95% of the time
1920X1080 @30FPS should be used for more cinematic games
1600X900 @30FPS for particularly ambitious titles or xb1 ports

If none of the above can be achieved the scope of the game should be scaled back to make sure it does work. Failing that, if the PS4 can at least achieve 900p at 60fps , then it is acceptable for the XB1 port of whatever this game is to run at 1280X720 @60fps.

That's my personal bottom of the barrel mark. Anything running at less then 60FPS at 720P needs to be reworked. 720P needs to be thought of as a relic now, much like 480p was on the 360 or PS3. If the consolation is high frame rate and the game design requires that level of performance then I suppose it's better then nothing but honestly if I were making a game that I wanted to run at 60fps , hitting 1080P would be equally as important. Lowering the resolution was acceptable mostly for launch titles because they all had a time limit. By the end of this year I'd like to think we won't have 720p games on either XB1 or PS4 anymore.

TL;DR version -

1080P at 30FPS is perfectly fine given the level of visual fidelity in this version versus the previous console release. It is indeed a "definitive version" compared to those. Had I not already played through the game just last summer I would likely buy this version of it for full price. Instead I'll be a bargain bin purchase unless the enhancements come to PC....

I thought it was mentioned many times that these new consoles have the equivalent of 7XXX series AMD GPUs.

What? Why? WTF?

I'll buy this when it's like $15.

Here, I got one better for you; "will download when its free on Playstation Plus in 5-6 months"

Not sure if I'm getting this yet tbh, this hasn't impacted my decision at all, seeing as I never played the orignial.
I'm thirsty for ps4 games.

Ghazi

I bet you they would've hit 60 with TressFX and maybe the physics (on Lara) upgrades. Everything else can't be that taxing on the system, can it?

- J - D -

Huh.

When we first started seeing Definitive Lara, I thought I liked her new face over last year's. New Lara is certainly cuter, but in an oddly Disney princess sort of way. And she lacks the details on her face, and skin texture that 2013 Lara does (on a good pc). Those details on the latter tends to make her look a bit older, more haggard. Not sure which is the preferred look. I don't know.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
So uh...can they just put the updated Lara and such in the PC version? Because that kills the PS4 one in basically every other way from what I'm seeing.

I'm sure the upgrades will hit PC in March or so. They're not gonna pass up the chance to make a little more money, but they know nobody in their right mind is gonna buy the game for $60 on PC.

I bet you they would've hit 60 with TressFX and maybe the physics (on Lara) upgrades. Everything else can't be that taxing on the system, can it?

Maybe with the PS4. I suspect the XBO wasn't capable of it, so they went with 30fps and TressFX instead.

system11

Here - buy this game we released on significantly less powerful platforms just last year, except that it doesn't really look much better! Bask in the glorious gold standard of 30fps!

Should be a budget release. Great for people who haven't yet played it but zero reason for anyone else to go back because it's going to play just the same, and I suspect it drops frames left and right, I suppose Digital Foundry will answer that in due course.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
As if FPS are going to matter to console end users who were just fine with 20-26 range for most large projects for the past seven years.

system11

As if FPS are going to matter to console end users who were just fine with 20-26 range for most large projects for the past seven years.

Oh shush, as a console end user they matter to me. Please nobody roll out the 'use a PC' mantra, not interested, not going to happen.

Jtrizzy

To the people disgraced by this game, what would you say to a $60 PC/PS4/Xbox One port of GTA V? Or a $60 PS4 port of TLOU?

I'm not disgraced but for the sake of argument, what framerate and resolution will they be running at? And for both of those I'd prefer 1080p60 over any graphical enhancements. In fact I probably won't consider either if they aren't 60. I'll get GTA V when it comes out on pc, my 580/2600k setup seems to be about on par with the PS4.

If TLOU is still 30 then what's the point? I don't see Naughty Dog going back and slapping on more effects, or at least I hope not. Just make it 1080p60 so we can see it artwork and animation as they should be.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I'm not disgraced but for the sake of argument, what framerate and resolution will they be running at? And for both of those I'd prefer 1080p60 over any graphical enhancements. In fact I probably won't consider either if they aren't 60. I'll get GTA V when it comes out on pc, my 580/2600k setup seems to be about on par with the PS4.

If TLOU is still 30 then what's the point? I don't see Naughty Dog going back and slapping on more effects, or at least I hope not. Just make it 1080p60 so we can see it artwork and animation as they should be.

That implies it was 30 before.

UnrealEck

We just got this video from S-E, showing the new effects in the next-gen version of the game. I'm sure it's been posted before, but the quality here is quite good :)
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_tomb_raider_next_gen_explanations-14964_en.html

Some subtle changes like blood and water on skin and her pistol and radio jiggling on her belt when she shakes her gorgeously deliciously round booty.
But it also shows subspace scattering (I think this is water running over rocks for example) which I believe were already in the game.

UnrealEck

Running at 30 FPS max is a lot different than running at 30 FPS. If you say it's 30, I'd expect that to be an average.

Bittercup

We just got this video from S-E, showing the new effects in the next-gen version of the game. I'm sure it's been posted before, but the quality here is quite good :)
Thanks, I was hoping you'll upload a video. Way better so see the changes than with the youtube videos we had so far.

Nicely improved graphics in my opinion and I like her new face. I'm still not happy about the price though.

Jtrizzy

That implies it was 30 before.

True. I quit playing this and GTA V after about an hour because of frame rate, also knowing that both would get ported to PS4 and or PC. After gaming at 1080p60 for an extended amount of time 720p "30" games became unplayable for me especially on the big screen.

Basically (so far) the main function of the PS4/X1 is to highten the ceiling so the PC can stretch it's legs better.
At 60 price XD

I'll wait and get it off ebay for £20+ a few months from now on the ps4, Don't know why people make a big thing over the £40-50 as the said owner can sell it and get a massive chunk of that back after being done with it and completing it.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

Thanks Blim!

Yeah this definitely solidified it for me. Buying this game.

The new effects really push it beyond previous versions. Even the PC version IMO, which I own. The PC version of course can push higher IQ, but the added features in the DE like SSS, Particles, Physics, and touched up poly budgets, weigh in much higher for me.

Looking forward to playing this on PS4 this month.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Yes? Are they not supposed to exist or something? haha

Ya NorCal... And why lol?

I'm here in SoCal. What for if I may ask?

Central California here.

Socal here.
Is there a event going on here?

I have some passes to give away for an event being held at Crystal Dynamics next week. If you would like to go, please send me a PM - it's completely free, but you'll have to find your own way there of course.

Top Bottom