• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider - E3 2011 CG Trailer

Ceebs

jbttwin said:
It pisses me off that people still see this reboot as "Uncharted with a female lead". Can't the two franchises co exist without people feeling like their "borrowing" from one another?
I think the fear is that it will be more Uncharted like third person shooting less platforming/puzzling.

jbttwin

Ceebs said:
I think the fear is that it will be more Uncharted like third person shooting less platforming/puzzling.
While that's true, that's not even the point I was trying to make.

Danielsan

Ceebs said:
From what I've read it's more going the survival (horror) route than the third person shooting platformer route. Haven't kept up with the game though.

Ceebs said:

That isn't what it is. It's still Tomb Raider except they've added a survival aspect into it. Lara's abilities will evolve over time, so there may be jumps that she can't make in the beginning that she'll be able to make later on. This is her first adventure, so she really doesn't know what she's doing at first.

And the Uncharted comparisons really need to stop. They aren't anything alike. Uncharted is built around it story, set pieces and gunplay while TR is built around platforming and puzzles. This wouldn't even be going on without the whole 'Dude Raider' nonsense that started when Uncharted was originally unveiled.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Danielsan said:
From what I've read it's more going the survival (horror) route than the third person shooting platformer route. Haven't kept up with the game though.
It's more of a survival puzzle platformer according to previews.

Prior TR games were just puzzle platformers.

TheOddOne

SolidSnakex said:
That isn't what it is. It's still Tomb Raider except they've added a survival aspect into it. Lara's abilities will evolve over time, so there may be jumps that she can't make in the beginning that she'll be able to make later on. This is her first adventure, so she really doesn't know what she's doing at first.

And the Uncharted comparisons really need to stop. They aren't anything alike. Uncharted is built around it story, set pieces and gunplay while TR is built around platforming and puzzles. This wouldn't even be going on without the whole 'Dude Raider' nonsense that started when Uncharted was originally unveiled.
Actually I don't think we can say that at this point though. With a full reboot, you never know how developers are gonna change the setup.

TheOddOne said:
Actually I don't think we can say that at this point though. With a full reboot, you never know how developers are gonna change the setup.

Nothing they've said at this point makes it sound like Uncharted from a gameplay perspective. It still sounds very much like TR except with a much darker tone than the previous games. Could that change? I guess so, but as of now I don't really understand the comparisons.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Buckethead said:
Her arm would have been so broken from that jump...
She jumped at another sinking part of the ship... which has been fucking cracked off into two with hundreds of splintering edges pointing out. A broken arm would seem irrelevant.

Following this up, why is the ship right next to her at the end?

Anyways, looked good for a CG trailer.

Looking great. I like the VA, but seems to be love it or hate it according to this thread.

This is a trending topic on Twitter :lol

UrbanRats

SolidSnakex said:
Nothing they've said at this point makes it sound like Uncharted from a gameplay perspective. It still sounds very much like TR except with a much darker tone than the previous games. Could that change? I guess so, but as of now I don't really understand the comparisons.
Free aim and scripted "spectacular set pieces" are the only thing that hint at it, but the game design is like a Metroidvania, so i can't see a comparison with Uncharted either.

RiZ III said:
She looks like Jessica Alba now.

I'm all for change, necessary for a revamp. Although this isn't really TR for me.

/off lawn

tomb_raider_original_game.jpg

"we find something that keeps us going"

*guy pulls her out of drowning room*

"something that pushes us"

*she fixes her gaze on what I assume is the same dude, and leaps towards him*

-- I hope Square-Enix haven't mandated that this game is full of cheesy relationship shit like their FF games.

Visual design looks fucking incredible anyway.

jorgeton

Nice. It seems that one of the pluses of the Edios/SE merger is that Eidos now has access to SE's crazy talented CG artists.

Amir0x

Banned
VisanidethDM said:
The original formula is a nigh impossible to repeat in "next gen" terms. Counting tiles before jumping is a thing of the past. Turning 45° after jumping, having to wait the very last second to find out if a jump is possible or not... I don't know, don't see it happening.

That hasn't been a part of Tomb Raider for ages and nobody is asking for that.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
jorgeton said:
Nice. It seems that one of the pluses of the Edios/SE merger is that Eidos now has access to SE's crazy talented CG artists.

CG trailers are useless really,I see this as pure wasted resources.

Salaadin

Amir0x said:
That hasn't been a part of Tomb Raider for ages and nobody is asking for that.

Seriously. The most recent TR games (Legend, Anniversary, Underworld) were proper "next gen" updates to that original 90s Tomb Raider formula.
I really hope this new one takes that and improves the shit out of it.

ultron87

Cool trailer. Gameplay would be cooler though.

What happened to whoever pulled her out of the hatch on the ship? That couldn't have been the guy she tried to jump over to.

Holy shit, incredible trailer!

Although the voice actings sounds lame, Lara's new design looks much MUCH better then those from previous games. She finally looks like a girl, not like a doll.

I'm hyped for a Tomb Raider game for the first time.

daffy

Banned
Yeah Fall 2012 is a hard pill to swallow. Maybe that rumor about multiplayer being added is the reason? Or was it debunked.. idk

Cerberus

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
I was kinda hoping they'd use the original trailer theme that was released a few weeks ago in that snippet:

http://youtu.be/4u-l0zZXaeM

I think it's more ominous than the one they used. Seems they decided not to use that composer's stuff in the end?

I was looking forward to hearing the rest of that piece too. There was a tweet saying it was going to be in the trailer. :(

I like the song that was played in this trailer though.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
There isn't anything in the pre-release Tomb Raider material that makes anyone think that its a cover shooter focusing on killing clown cars full of brown people while Lara Croft cracks jokes.

I mean there are people who think Star Wars and Star Trek are the same because they happen in space, so you can't really put much stock in people and their stupid generalizations.

Grisby

Cerberus said:
I was looking forward to hearing the rest of that piece too. There was a tweet saying it was going to be in the trailer. :(

I like the song that was played in this trailer though.

Over on the tomb raider forums a member got a email from the composer who said Edios wasn't using his music (at least he didn't think so).

HYDE

Banned
I'm reminded more of Dead Space 2 gameplay wise, than Uncharted. I see her hanging upside down like in DS2 and imagine her in a survival mode with a bow, and eventually other items that are used in third person mode. I think it will play similar to Uncharted 2, in that it's third person and an action/adventure game. But, I believe it will tread it's own ideas and possibly borrow a bit from Batman Arkham Asylum with the Metroidvania stuff that's being hinted at. Thoughts?

Cerberus

HYDE said:
I'm reminded more of Dead Space 2 gameplay wise, than Uncharted. I see her hanging upside down like in DS2 and imagine her in a survival mode with a bow, and eventually other items that are used in third person mode. I think it will play similar to Uncharted 2, in that it's third person and an action/adventure game. But, I believe it will tread it's own ideas and possibly borrow a bit from Batman Arkham Asylum with the Metroidvania stuff that's being hinted at. Thoughts?

From the details released so far, it seems like there is a lot of exploring to do. Sounds more like a Metroidvania game rather than Uncharted 2 to me. I'm expecting something like Batman: Arkham Asylum mixed with Metal Gear Solid 3.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Cerberus said:
From the details released so far, it seems like there is a lot of exploring to do. Sounds more like a Metroidvania game rather than Uncharted 2 to me. I'm expecting something like Batman: Arkham Asylum mixed with Metal Gear Solid 3.
That sounds completely amazing.

i hope there is still substantial gunplay in this game, and if not, then a substantial fighting system like arkham asylum or something.

Top Bottom