• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomorrowland Music Festival 2016 |OT| Yes Disney Is Hosting A Music Festival Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Website won't let me change channel to the trance stage so fuck that, just tuned in saw tiestio play literally 90 seconds of warp brothers - phatt bass (fucking tune that is) but got no interest in some random presumably edm dj I've never heard of after, so sod it

spootime

Uhu, I guess you're right.

I shouldn't really be expecting too much from tiësto, because I've never liked his music. But listening to the live feed is still weird. He's using all the bass drops, boops and beeps and build ups that are so... uh. I associate all that shit with Dimitri Vegas and Like Mike...which are the symbols of tomorrowland. So it makes sense. And the main stage has to be the stage that caters to everyone, draws the biggest crowd.

When I went to TML, the main stage was my least favorite stage of them all. It was more of a "gathering place" that shows a concert where people just throw their hands up. The other stages were more one specific music genre, so they drew a specific crowd and they ended up more like dance raves. More my thing. On the last night you have to be at the main stage though, when they blow a fortune on fireworks there.

That was my experience as well. I spent most of my time in the trance tent or the other side stages.

I dont know much about EDM besides being a casual listener but it seems like most big artists make "festival versions" of their songs that all sound generic. I was super disappointed by a lot of artists when I went to tomorrowworld.

Edm is to dance music as manufactured pop is to music in general

TheBear

I don't get it are you guys actually there? If so I'm envious!

Here's a tip. If you can't read your smartphone screen it means you've taken too much. Stay hydrated folks!

Aomber

I dont know much about EDM besides being a casual listener but it seems like most big artists make "festival versions" of their songs that all sound generic. I was super disappointed by a lot of artists when I went to tomorrowworld.
They're playing remixes made by other artists. Truth is most edm sucks, you gotta either go into those things either being totally ignorant (which could be a good thing) or really know who's good and worth seeing.

Uhu, I guess you're right.

I shouldn't really be expecting too much from tiësto, because I've never liked his music. But listening to the live feed is still weird. He's using all the bass drops, boops and beeps and build ups that are so... uh. I associate all that shit with Dimitri Vegas and Like Mike...which are the symbols of tomorrowland. So it makes sense. And the main stage has to be the stage that caters to everyone, draws the biggest crowd.

When I went to TML, the main stage was my least favorite stage of them all. It was more of a "gathering place" that shows a concert where people just throw their hands up. The other stages were more one specific music genre, so they drew a specific crowd and they ended up more like dance raves. More my thing. On the last night you have to be at the main stage though, when they blow a fortune on fireworks there.
Yep tiesto sold out a long time ago this is the kinda music he plays now
I don't get it are you guys actually there? If so I'm envious!

Here's a tip. If you can't read your smartphone screen it means you've taken too much. Stay hydrated folks!
Some of us are some not. I have been before and it's definitely a trip worth taking!

What da fuk?

Since when does Tiesto do dubstep?

I'm getting old.

People will be disappointed if they are expecting their favorite DJs to be playing their favorite DJ's music. People should know that these are huge music festivals and that there are thousands of people with many different tastes. Almost every DJ will be playing songs and snippets from, well, you guessed it, another artist. The most you will get will be around maybe half an hour of their own songs. They also always play more than their native genre.

I'm sure you know this too... Mainstage is just what it is. The Mainstage. If you are expecting great danceable music, you will be disappointed. There will be DJs that will play danceable music. I have read your latest post and you seem to understand it already.

Also, Mainstage is for raging away when you are at your place. I'm sure that many people do enjoy Mainstage music and for y'all, go ahead and dance the night away with or without being inebriated.

My post is just for the folks who don't know much about EDM Festivals and sorry if it came across like I was being rude or mean to you two ^_^

-

Dammit, as soon as I get home.... I've been invited to go out to a ribfest (yes, that is exactly what it is.). Tomorrow, I suppose ;_; I will be watching this with y'all ;_;

Ferr986

Just got home. Missed the best day of Tomorrowland. Oh well....

Gotta catch up with Armin, Aly and Fila, and Prydz if that was recorded. I guess Gouryella was the same set as always.

7threst

Woooo! We are going to be good friends then. :D

How so? The curated experience for the visitors, the production, and the presentation is on a different level than most festivals in the world.

Also, why are you fed up with it?

It's probably the combination of a fairytale-like presentation with an a-list line-up that gives Tomorrowland it's image. I'd say a festival like Mysteryland does the same but on a more laid back scale. I do think their mainstage presentation is great, but I think other festivals like Defqon.1, Dominator or EDC have the same level of production to me.

Maybe fed up isn't the right word, it's just that, having been a visitor of the festival it just doesn't impress me at all, which is why I don't really get the hype for the festival and why it sells out that quickly. Also, it would be really cool if they dropped the idea on an A-list line-up and just surprise people with acts that would otherwise play one of the smaller hosted stages.

For example, I think it was three years ago, or two years maybe, I don't remember, I saw Deorro doing an amazing set on a stage that I think was hosted by Steve Aoki's Dim Mak. All I could think of was 'this should be on the mainstage, I wanna see the big crowd rocking out like I am at this moment!'.

Instead, we always see the same names: Tiësto, van Buuren, Hardwell (ok, not this year, but it's telling there are all sorts of conspiracies why he isn't on TML this year, people expect him to be there), David Guetta etc. If the presentation of the mainstage (which I do think is superb though) goes hand in hand with a more adventurous line-up it could be so much better I think.

And I think it's certainly possible, given that there was a drum n bass-stage a few years ago, and they also have old school parties like Bonzai (of course deserved, it's Belgium's legendary contribution to electronic music) hosting stages. And they have that techno-cave-stage-thing (don't know what it's called, it's across the water where you find the Tomorrowland-logo that lights up at night) s which is always a pleasure. So they do know how to diversify their program, but I 'd love to see more surprises at stages. But maybe the concept of hosted stages (with mostly the same kind of artists and music) is the only possible way of organising a festival that is as big as Tomorrowland.

But, like I said, I do think it's cool other people really enjoy it, which is what matters most of course! I'm a grumpy guy I guess haha :)

Genuinely curious, what other festivals? Because I gotta say I've been following music for some time and I don't know a festival that does presentation like them, including Alfa Future People, Defqon.1, EDC LV, etc.

I'm surprised you don't think Defqon.1 is on the same level like Tomorrowland. Of course, it's a whole different festival so maybe it isn't really comparable, but man, do they know how to weave a narrative throughout the festival and present it in a spectacular way. For example, I fondly remeber the endshow of 2013: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN1Gw8PHkAI

Aomber

It's probably the combination of a fairytale-like presentation with an a-list line-up that gives Tomorrowland it's image. I'd say a festival like Mysteryland does the same but on a more laid back scale. I do think their mainstage presentation is great, but I think other festivals like Defqon.1, Dominator or EDC have the same level of production to me.

Maybe fed up isn't the right word, it's just that, having been a visitor of the festival it just doesn't impress me at all, which is why I don't really get the hype for the festival and why it sells out that quickly. Also, it would be really cool if they dropped the idea on an A-list line-up and just surprise people with acts that would otherwise play one of the smaller hosted stages.

For example, I think it was three years ago, or two years maybe, I don't remember, I saw Deorro doing an amazing set on a stage that I think was hosted by Steve Aoki's Dim Mak. All I could think of was 'this should be on the mainstage, I wanna see the big crowd rocking out like I am at this moment!'.

Instead, we always see the same names: Tiësto, van Buuren, Hardwell (ok, not this year, but it's telling there are all sorts of conspiracies why he isn't on TML this year, people expect him to be there), David Guetta etc. If the presentation of the mainstage (which I do think is superb though) goes hand in hand with a more adventurous line-up it could be so much better I think.

And I think it's certainly possible, given that there was a drum n bass-stage a few years ago, and they also have old school parties like Bonzai (of course deserved, it's Belgium's legendary contribution to electronic music) hosting stages. And they have that techno-cave-stage-thing (don't know what it's called, it's across the water where you find the Tomorrowland-logo that lights up at night) s which is always a pleasure. So they do know how to diversify their program, but I 'd love to see more surprises at stages. But maybe the concept of hosted stages (with mostly the same kind of artists and music) is the only possible way of organising a festival that is as big as Tomorrowland.

But, like I said, I do think it's cool other people really enjoy it, which is what matters most of course! I'm a grumpy guy I guess haha :)

I'm surprised you don't think Defqon.1 is on the same level like Tomorrowland. Of course, it's a whole different festival so maybe it isn't really comparable, but man, do they know how to weave a narrative throughout the festival and present it in a spectacular way. For example, I fondly remeber the endshow of 2013: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN1Gw8PHkAI
I have to say it could be more interesting musically. Then again I don't even like most EDM now a day and I'm more interested in the lineup of something like Coachella, but nevertheless I agree with that. It's probably the one reason I might struggle to justify flying over to Belgium for Tomorrowland in the future. I wouldn't say that's totally true of the mainstage despite being largely true, I don't know what year you went but I actually saw Deorro on mainstage in 2014. He played twice, once on a smaller stage (it might have been Dim Mak's) and then also on the mainstage.

Anyway I think we have a bit of a different interpretation of presentation. In terms of straight production it's true that Defqon.1 has some pretty impressive stuff going on, but even then it's apples and oranges since the themes and intentions are so different. The thing is, to me presentation is how they coordinate the festival on such a huge scale. I mean the year I went they had 400,000 people attend yet they still nailed it, with transport being very easy just taking a shuttle straight from the back of my hotel right to the doorstep of the festival, being able to grab a killer steak inside, or an actual high quality beer from the belgian beer cafe, super easy access to water refill stations, etc. It just made the experience cozy and nice - not to mention the crowd is totally ecstatic. I just think it's impressive that they can do that on such a large scale.

Why do I say that? Because it's the reason I hated EDC Las Vegas. Everything I just listed was total shite at Insomniac's large scale effort, including the crowd. I enjoyed the production of Tomorrowland more as well being in nature with the basin setup at the mainstage, it was hard to enjoy EDC in the same light since it was basically in a parking lot. I actually liked the lineup at EDC better than Tomorrowland because you had artists like Flume, Disclosure, Eric Prydz, etc. but the experience totally killed it for me. The interesting thing there is that their smaller festivals are actually quite a success apparently – for example Electric Forest I've heard nothing but great things about, but they can't handle the same level of quality on that type of massive scale. Hope that explains a little bit why I appreciate what Tomorrowland does, but I can definitely see where you're coming from, it's not for everyone.

Aomber ;_;

Too much drinking last night and just woke up! I missed out on some shit, didn't I?

Seems like I missed Coone, Zatox, The Chainsmokers, and Nicky Romero. Fuuuuuuuuuck....

Gonna need to check out Joel and Eric.

Aomber

Aomber ;_;

Too much drinking last night and just woke up! I missed out on some shit, didn't I?

Seems like I missed Coone, Zatox, The Chainsmokers, and Nicky Romero. Fuuuuuuuuuck....

Gonna need to check out Joel and Eric.

This guyyyy lolol. Yeah I only just tuned in now looks like A^I is playing

Edit: Just as I sit down to watch I have to head out again lmaooo

Mendrox

It was but he's closing it out with cheese =(

I went that year too! Next year they might be doing two weekends again so better chance!

Ahhh I hope! Tomorrowland is something that changes something in your mind. Hopefuly we both get tickets and maybe meet up? :D

Aomber

Ahhh I hope! Tomorrowland is something that changes something in your mind. Hopefuly we both get tickets and maybe meet up? :D

I hope so! It depends how life goes, right now I'm a recent college grad on the job hunt so taking the time off and having sufficient funds might be difficult

Aomber

Missed steve angello damn! At least Tomorrowland always uploads their sets, will catch it later on. This garrix set is cheesy but just tuned in for michael calfan

EDIT: This Alesso rebroadcast is actually bomb

Im just back home from 3 days Tomorrowland. The vibe at tomorrowland is magical.
Made a lot of new friends that ill defo be visting worldwide, some are already coming to visit us coming october.

Good shit all around. Now i have 2 tomorrowland bracelets, next year i hope to have 4. Planning to go back to Brazil for Tomorrowland Brazil and ofcourse Belgium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom