• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1-2 HD. Summer 2012 $15

Tomasooie

No splitscreen and there's been no mention of Create-A-Park either.
So what, seven old fucking levels and Tony Hawk 2 era combos? For $15?

Suck a beehive, Activision.

EYEL1NER

Wow. The more I think about the lack of splits screen, I start getting kinda pissed off about it.
Why the fuck can't I sit next to a bro like I would have 10 years ago and play some Tony Hawk?

So fucking lazy, Activision.....

UrbanRats

But you would had paid for the same thing ten years ago for fifty bucks?

Yeah, i also would've paid a lot more for this:
nokia3310.jpg

We're not ten years ago anymore.

Cheddahz

Banned
I don't see why everyone is complaining about local multiplayer being absent from this game, if you have a friend come over, just pass the controller back and forth (everytime you fall, pass the controller to the next person).

I mean don't get me wrong, I would love to see local multiplayer in this, but if one of my buddies is actually that desperate to want to play spilt-screen, I would just pop in THPS4 or THPS1

rCIZZLE

I don't see why everyone is complaining about local multiplayer being absent from this game, if you have a friend come over, just pass the controller back and forth (everytime you fall, pass the controller to the next person).

I mean don't get me wrong, I would love to see local multiplayer in this, but if one of my buddies is actually that desperate to want to play spilt-screen, I would just pop in THPS4 or THPS1

It was part of the original from over a decade ago. There's no reason they couldn't have kept it for the rerelease.

Linkhero1

It's more exciting being able to compete against each other at the same time. I would probably do the same thing, but I think everyone wanted multiplayer splitscreen in HD.

This game is being made by the guys who gave us Ride & Shred, lack of split-screen support will probably be the least of it's problems.

I don't know if it's been asked/brought up, but any reason why Neversoft isn't back on this franchise? They got pushed over to Guitar Hero and when that collapsed, went to Call of Duty (unless I mess something saying that turned out to be wrong).

Because not everything in multiplayer is horse where you can switch back and forth?

Revert is baby mode. Manuals all day every day

No... It makes the game actually fun. There's no reason to ever do vert until they did revert because you would get so much lower in points by vert since you couldn't combo but you could on ground with manual but no revert.

Tomasooie

But you would had paid for the same thing ten years ago for fifty bucks?

Uh, the point is it's not even the same thing.
It's watered-down shit; for some inane reason they're going back to the Tony Hawk 2 period without reverts, which is ludicrous, because as said up there -- it makes vert pointless.

There are barely any levels and they're all super old ones. Tony Hawk 3 levels are supposedly coming as DLC...

Honestly, the most important thing for me was Create-A-Park. That added so much replay value and fun to the game, but it's become apparent that this is a barebones nostalgia cash-grab rather than a real effort.
I'll pass.

All the old ones are backwards-compatible on 360, so I'll just have to hunt those down sometime.

Rich!

Yeah, me and my mates still play split screen on THPS3 on the gamecube every other friday night out before we head out into town.

No fucking way am I bothering with this remake if there's no split-screen.

Sorry if this has been asked, but does this have split screen?

PSU: The original Xbox version of Tony Hawk 2 supported 4 player splitscreen. Are there any plans to support a mode close to that?

Tsui: That was a tough decision for the team. Given the limited scope of the game we had to make some choices on what goes into game. Split screen was talked about heavily but in the end we had to really look at the way people play nowadays which is more online. Having both split screen and online would have sacrificed a lot of time and quality to work in the amount of time that we had.

http://www.psu.com/a015781/PSU-goes-inside-the-mind-behind-Tony-Hawk-Pro-Skater-HD

FyreWulff

Are we even certain this game is actually rendering in 1080p?

Apparently the revert will be back, but only in the THPS3 DLC levels that are arriving a month after the game launches.

http://i.joystiq.com/2012/07/03/tony-hawks-pro-skater-hd-thps-3-dlc-brings-back-the-revert/

Don't know actually. But Banjo Kazooie, Tooie, and Perfect Dark all being N64-era ports and being 1080p spoiled me, I'd expect a game that was on the N64 to also be running in 1080p now.

WEGGLES

Timed exclusives are the worst. :\

I don't have my 360 at my house, was going to get on PS3, but if it comes out late August I'll probably pass. School will be back in and I'll be too busy to play. Oh well.

Sean

Banned
Don't know actually. But Banjo Kazooie, Tooie, and Perfect Dark all being N64-era ports and being 1080p spoiled me, I'd expect a game that was on the N64 to also be running in 1080p now.

Banjo & PD were straight up-res'd ports, this is a total remake with all new graphics engine etc. Not really the same situation.

Card Boy

Banned
Banjo & PD were straight up-res'd ports, this is a total remake with all new graphics engine etc. Not really the same situation.

Perfect Dark isn't a res'd up port, it has new textures aswell, plus 60 FPS, 1080p and Better looking AA. I think banjo was the quick and dirty port.

FyreWulff

Uhhh... that's not true. At all.

Perfect Dark isn't a res'd up port, it has new textures aswell, plus 60 FPS, 1080p and Better looking AA. I think banjo was the quick and dirty port.

Yeah, Banjo maybe, but PDXBLA? Same thing this game is going for. Overhauled everything.

edit: Joanna and Elvis Model on 360 versus N64 version

or the N64 Farsight versus XBLA's.

http://www.perfectdarkforever.com/perfect-dark-weapons-images/perfect-dark-n64-weapons-farsight.jpg

http://biasedvideogamerblog.wdfiles...enshot-preview/Perfect_Dark_XBLA_FarSight.jpg

Both the games are leaving the original level geometry intact.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Apparently the revert will be back, but only in the THPS3 DLC levels that are arriving a month after the game launches.

http://i.joystiq.com/2012/07/03/tony-hawks-pro-skater-hd-thps-3-dlc-brings-back-the-revert/

So wait, they are bringing back levels from part 3 as DLC for this game? And only three levels to boot?! Wow. They're fucking up this release by doing it this way in my opinion.

They should just release this game and leave it as it is, then later on release THPSHD "Part 2", containing ALL the levels from TH3 and TH4.

Big mistake on Activision's part. I don't want just 3 levels from part 3 redone in HD, I want all of them dammit!

Schmitty

When were there no reverts...WTF and no split screen. Damn that just killed all hype. Time to pull out thps4 on the gamecube

Cheddahz

Banned
I don't see why having no reverts in THPS1 and 2 levels is a bad thing, I think the series started going downhill once they introduced reverts in THPS3

Still stoked fro THPSHD

I don't see why having no reverts in THPS1 and 2 levels is a bad thing, I think the series started going downhill once they introduced reverts in THPS3

Still stoked fro THPSHD

I thought it gave the series a breathe of fresh air. Level design on the other hand...

ScOULaris

While it's a shame, I can understand why they didn't recreate the Create-a-Park mode for this budget, digital release. That would have required more work than what was probably budgeted for this nostalgia-driven cash-in.

But no split-screen? C'mon, son. The lack of local multiplayer options in games is one thing that has really hurt this gen, in my eyes. Whether its exclusion is due to engine limitations or a perceived lack of interest, splitscreen multiplayer's untimely demise really grinds my gears.

And yeah, it's pretty clear that this is a half-baked cash grab. Activision ain't getting my money this time.

FyreWulff

While it's a shame, I can understand why they didn't recreate the Create-a-Park mode for this budget, digital release. That would have required more work than what was probably budgeted for this nostalgia-driven cash-in.

But no split-screen? C'mon, son. The lack of local multiplayer options in games is one thing that has really hurt this gen, in my eyes. Whether its exclusion is due to engine limitations or a perceived lack of interest, splitscreen multiplayer's untimely demise really grinds my gears.

And yeah, it's pretty clear that this is a half-baked cash grab. Activision ain't getting my money this time.

They didn't have the budget to create a new viewport on the render call. Too much work.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.

100% agree. The addition of manuals was great because they legitimately let you continue combos in real life and were conspicuously absent from the first game.

Reverts don't do anything except change you from switch to regular. All they are in the game is an excuse to let you continue your combo when you shouldn't really be able to.

100% agree. The addition of manuals was great because they legitimately let you continue combos in real life and were conspicuously absent from the first game.

Reverts don't do anything except change you from switch to regular. All they are in the game is an excuse to let you continue your combo when you shouldn't really be able to.

Since when we're the Tony Hawk games based on realism? They're built around the basic tenants of skateboarding, but after that they routiney defy the laws of physics and realism entirely to make the game more fun.

Why was the revert added? Because it made the game more fun.

lol, all the people bailing. SEE YA

Will be enjoying my Tony Hawk.

btw, THPS2X > 3 & 4

I honestly have a hard time believing these people were definitely buying the game in the first place, or they'll buy it anyway when it actually comes out.

Ehm, any trick (grinds, slides, stalls, flips, etc) to revert count as a different trick in real life, they´re a modifier, is not just changing your stance, it adds difficulty to the trick.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Since when we're the Tony Hawk games based on realism? They're built around the basic tenants of skateboarding, but after that they routiney defy the laws of physics and realism entirely to make the game more fun.

Why was the revert added? Because it made the game more fun.

I honestly have a hard time believing these people were definitely buying the game in the first place, or they'll buy it anyway when it actually comes out.

I seriously think there's a chunk of GAF that goes into prerelease threads looking for something, anything, so they can say 'preorder cancelled' or the equivalent.

Top Bottom