• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 is a glitchy mess

5GZPqcl.gif

This would make a really good "In!" gif if someone edited it a bit

Damn, to hear it does actually feel like classic THPS when it's not crashing and glitching out, makes it more frustrating, because without all thoses bugs, there could be a half decent game buried in there somewhere.

Really hope they patch the shit out of this to kill the bugs, so it might actually become playable.

Praha

Neo Member
I actually played this at E3 for about 30-40 minutes and really enjoyed it. Not only did it look a hell of a lot better than it does in these streams and videos, but I didn't come across a single glitch.

It's Colonial Marines all over again.

Sjefen

So they basically released a pre-alpha game, slammed Tony Hawks face on it and charged 60$. So many kids will be dissapointed this christmas....

Burning Justice

the superior princess
I never gave two shits about skateboarding, but the old Tony Hawk games were fun as hell. As funny as some of these bugs are, it's kinda sad to see this happen to a series I used to love so much.

DeSolos

I kind of hope Activision doesn't fix it, and instead sells it at a vastly lower price. Cause this game looks hilarious.

J4g3r

I had a video ready to go live today, 11 different copyright claims and it's blocked in quite a few countries.

That's the worst state I've ever seen a video in thanks to YouTube's content ID system.

Well there's Fighter Within, Devil's Third and Sonic Boom, I guess you can throw in the Godzilla game if you want an exclusive from each platform

This is way worse. This comes from one of the greatest video game franchises of al time. To see the latest sequel in this state is just...depressing. You could argue Sonic Boom, but sonic has been terrible for a decade at this point. Having a good game occasionally does not reanimate it into a franchise worth caring for.

Damn, to hear it does actually feel like classic THPS when it's not crashing and glitching out, makes it more frustrating, because without all thoses bugs, there could be a half decent game buried in there somewhere.

Really hope they patch the shit out of this to kill the bugs, so it might actually become playable.

It is playable. It's not good, but how broken it is has been outrageously exaggerated.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Where can I find out GiantBomb live QuickLook? I missed it :(

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Damn I laughed after watching that video. I wonder what will be worse, Assassins Creed Syndicate or Tony Hawk 5. Atleast Tony Hawk 5 is giving people a good laugh. I remember Unity just pissing me off.

Syndicate will at least seem like there was effort into making that a full $60 product, even with the annoying glitches.

This they could patch to be perfect and it'd still look like a $20 game maximum.

How they mange to make game look so bland in comparison to other games in the series that came out years ago is mind blowing. They should be ashamed.

This is Robomodo's legacy:

Tony Hawk: Ride (2009)
Tony Hawk: Shred (2010)
In Time (2011)[1]
Big League Sports: Kinect (2011)[2]
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD (2012)
Skateboard Slam (2013)
Hunger Games: Catching Fire Panem Run (2013)
Globber's Escape (2014)
Monster Flash (2014)
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 (2015; with Disruptive Games)[3]

This is diarrhea of the highest proportions.

Alx

Well there's Fighter Within, Devil's Third and Sonic Boom, I guess you can throw in the Godzilla game if you want an exclusive from each platform

I'll never understand why Fighter Within is trashed so much, I haven't encountered a single bug in it, and it does what you'd expect from a motion gaming fighter.

Anyway, at least the THPS gifs are hilarious. It's a rare case where the game itself is more funny than its Clueless Gamer video.

Guess Who

Banned
This is Robomodo's legacy:

Tony Hawk: Ride (2009)
Tony Hawk: Shred (2010)
In Time (2011)[1]
Big League Sports: Kinect (2011)[2]
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD (2012)
Skateboard Slam (2013)
Hunger Games: Catching Fire Panem Run (2013)
Globber's Escape (2014)
Monster Flash (2014)
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 (2015; with Disruptive Games)[3]

This is diarrhea of the highest proportions.

Why would Activision keep paying them to make these games? They have literally never made anything good. Their previous games have sold like absolute garbage. Activision would be making wiser investments by just burning their cash in flames.

antitrop

Why would Activision keep paying them to make these games? They have literally never made anything good. Their previous games have sold like absolute garbage. Activision would be making wiser investments by just burning their cash in flames.

Activision, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATVI) announced today that the company has extended
its successful partnership with world-renowned skateboarder Tony Hawk through
an exclusive multi-year video game licensing agreement that expires in 2015.
Mr. Hawk will continue to headline Activision O2's flagship action sports
franchise, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, which has generated approximately
$500 million worldwide through March 31, 2002 and which was the single largest
independent U.S. video game franchise during calendar 2001, according to NPD.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...nsing-agreement-with-activision-76357687.html

The contract was extended in 2002 and expires this year.

Once Neversoft got moved over to Guitar Hero and the franchise's popularity was in the tank, they just farmed it out to the lowest bidder for the duration of the contract.

antitrop

......I still want to play this.

I just played up until I unlocked the Airport level in THPS3 on an emulator tonight and it's still fucking awesome.

Activision could have just had that game done up in 1080p with Trophies/Achievements and most people would have been pretty happy about it. Or like a THPS3/THPS4 remaster bundle, I would definitely pay the $50 they would charge for that.

So they basically released a pre-alpha game, slammed Tony Hawks face on it and charged 60$. So many kids will be dissapointed this christmas....

I don't think kids care about Tony Hawk that much these days, a buch of them might in fact not even know who he is.

The first THPS was very a "you had to been there" kind of deal, it was bonkers where I lived because none of me friends could find a copy. I did. My brother came home from another country and he put an unboxed copy in my bed. Next morning me and my friends played the shit of out of that game and it was gettng better and then it ended. And we started again and the same thing happened: Awesomeness that ends only to begin again.

It was a very religious experience, so we followed fanatically everything about THPS2, THPS3, THPS4. For me, once it got to THUG it just didn't catch me so by then I followed my way, stil trying to play the games if I could. Anything up until Proving Ground and Project 8 are pretty serviceable, after that it gets a bit wonky. In fact, everything this new game needed to be was just serviceable, respectable or something like.

If the game is truly broken and fubar, today kids won't care. The kids from 1999-2000 most definitely will.
;_;

After the fiasco that was Tony Hawk: Ride, and the abortion that is Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5, if Mr. Hawk insists on creating more games in his name, it's proof that he has brain damage from bailing one too many times.

camo

This thread is actually making me want to play this craptastic mess. Threads and articles like this are breathing life into THPS5!

bounchfx

This is so depressing. THPS2-3 were some of my favorite games ever. Even the ones after weren't BAD. but this.... this is embarassing

they pullin a full on konami with this shit

or I guess just activision

gossi

Tony Hawk signed a 13 year contract on these games, which expires very shortly (hence the rush to get the game out).

Interestingly in 2002 (when the deal was signed) Tony Hawk was THE gaming franchise. #1. The Call of Duty of the time. Hence the 13 year deal. It did not work out.

Top Bottom