• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 is a glitchy mess

Nokterian

Mc5LzQM.gif

Brilliant :D

In an alternate universe, this game came out, was deemed a great tribute and enhancement of classic THPS gameplay, garnered a dedicated following of fans and more fun skateboard games for everyone.

Activision really needs to try and build quality franchises. At some point the COD and Skylanders gravy trains are going to go away and they're going to be faced with a total dearth of titles.

SoulUnison

Banned
I can't believe the timer is branded.
The timer. Is. Branded.

I don't even think this is a video game so much as they saw the opportunity to wrap a bunch of advertising in a "game" that evokes nostalgia.

Disappointing but not surprised. If anything, the only surprise has come from some people in the other Tony Hawk's thread said we were "nitpicking" when being cynical about this hot turd of a mess.

Eurgh.

And this is coming from someone who actually tolerated Tony Hawk's HD.

gossi

how on earth did this make it past QA?

seriously.

It didn't. QA departments don't miss this stuff, all the bugs go into big databases through development. Ultimately somebody involved (likely the publisher) just said 'fuck it, ship the game'.

Interestingly, Kotaku UK report the Xbox One version they tried only glitched and hung a few times (in their limited testing). I've got a feeling there's some platform and user generated content issues going on.

Footage recorded after day one patch. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...hawks-pro-skater-5-is-a-bit-of-a-glitchy-mess

Edit: it's worth noting this was all recorded in one hour of play, and even the music glitches. It is truly awful.

Update: without the patch the game isn't playable, you can just do the tutorial.

mlV0xX.gif

Update: Polygon rip this game to shreds here:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=oRGoN9uSL6E

Is ANYONE surprised by this given what we saw before launch?

Anyone?

*crickets*

Yeah... that's what I thought. Sent to die. E.T. has been dethroned.

How is saying it's ugly or saying Skate 4 save us something to be smug about? lol

The first is akin to seeing a guy standing in front of an out-of-control runaway rail car and being like "That guy's gonna get hit by that runaway railcar." :smug:

The second is just begging for something better to come along.

Smug? I'm so confused right now.

Thug 1 & 2 + Bluepoint = ???

I'd expect it'd still be better than this

A straight HD version of THUG1+2 would be dramatically better than this. On the GiantBomb livestream they said that even HD was better than this, and that wasn't good. So that tells you a lot. But an HD version of any of the old games isn't going to happen as this is literally the last TH game from Activision. As mentioned above, the contract that Activision extended with Tony expires this year. This was the last gasp for the series.

Harmen

How come a rather unambitious game aimed at being "back the the basics" (good basics mind you, the THPS series has a good foundation) is a complete trainwreck? Usually it seems broken games broke as a result of overambition or setting the wrong priorities, but this? Really?

How come a rather unambitious game aimed at being "back the the basics" (good basics mind you, the THPS series has a good foundation) is a complete trainwreck? Usually it seems broken games broke as a result of overambition or setting the wrong priorities, but this? Really?

bjbeLYT.jpg

This is Robomodo's legacy:

Tony Hawk: Ride (2009)
Tony Hawk: Shred (2010)
In Time (2011)[1]
Big League Sports: Kinect (2011)
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD (2012)
Skateboard Slam (2013)
Hunger Games: Catching Fire Panem Run (2013)
Globber's Escape (2014)
Monster Flash (2014)
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 (2015; with Disruptive Games)

Dunkley

Oh dear. I kinda want to buy this game for the glitches. Glitches like those crack me up.

But for $60? Oh dear

Cross quoting myself from the price announcement thread here:

I'd rather wait the two weeks and pick it up from the bargain bin.

PS: Looking back at those threads, I feel really sorry for those who gave Robomodo the benefit of doubt and got their hopes up. It's one thing to be let down, but it's another thing to be let down like this. :(

This type of practice has become too common, especially since the push and support for digital games and pre-orders are becoming more popular (for some effing reason). This game, and many like it are exactly why I don't buy new digital games and pre-order anything, its seems to be an invitation to get stuck with an unfinished product that you cant get rid of, and in most cases cant get a refund.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
sanstitreabatd.png

So I guess this was the broken game some journalists were talking a couple of days ago?

Don't think Boba Fett is going to be able to fit that in the SLAVE 1

EDIT: Whats considered the last great...or even good TH game? I remember liking Underground quite a bit. I still have it.

BigDes

I thought last year's broken spectacular would make publishers buck their ideas up this year

Instead it appears that the lesson they learned was that we would buy any old shite anyway so fuck it

imBask

Banned
for some reason I really wanna play this piece of garbage, anybody here wants to send me a copy, or $100 CAD?

i'll buy it from a bargain bin 6 months from now

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Seeing this really makes me wonder how much time Robomodo had to work on this.

So many of the challenges are super cut and paste. Its obviously ridiculously buggy.

The caterer leaked it about 6 months ago.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this game came together in under a year, rushed by Activision. I don't think that Robomodo are just horribly incompetent game developers, but this game seriously is a hunk of trash.

It just makes me wonder what this game could have been if it was given the proper development time it would need (at least 2 years.)

diffusionx

Gold Member
Don't think Boba Fett is going to be able to fit that in the SLAVE 1

EDIT: Whats considered the last great...or even good TH game? I remember liking Underground quite a bit. I still have it.

I liked Project 8, but I don't think that was too well received.

Syntsui

Seeing this really makes me wonder how much time Robomodo had to work on this.

So many of the challenges are super cut and paste. Its obviously ridiculously buggy.

The caterer leaked it about 6 months ago.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this game came together in under a year, rushed by Activision. I don't think that Robomodo are just horribly incompetent game developers, but this game seriously is a hunk of trash.

It just makes me wonder what this game could have been if it was given the proper development time it would need (at least 2 years.)

There's not a single good game under their work, they ARE incompetent and should not be spared.

Top Bottom