• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 is a glitchy mess

Here's one that happened to me.
Nice, I had many moments where I am right next to a rail and the game goes "LOL NOPE, SLAM" and then I bail.
I also noticed doing a manual near a ramp will also result in a bail most of the time.
WpAFhN.gif

Edit: Watching my video, IDK why this happened:
d1vV_2.gif

The grind rails in the space level just straight up don't work. You just drop off them at complete random. It makes many of that levels missions impossible to complete.

Red Devil

Well, if you don't consider those crippling glitches all of the hands on have also said:

• Game does not launch on Xbox One. It locks up if you try to launch it. To play the game you have to sign into Xbox One, launch the game, then sign out immediately, then once you get to the title screen, sign back in.
  • Starting challenges can sometimes be impossible. you're supposed to "Trick into" a challenge to star it, but it very rarely works
  • There is only full speed or stopped speed. Your character never gets up to speed, so if you're stuck in an area that you need a small amount of speed to get out of, tough shit, just bail and start over.
  • Online is completely fucked up

Here, just watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIXkRXYbKaI

If you don't find these gameplay glitches, then I'm not sure what constitutes a gameplay glitch. This game will go down as the glitchiest, worst game released in this generation.

OVZGMlC.gif

Ehh, is he actually bleeding in that glitch?

I finished the game and only wanted to kill myself like 8 times.

You know what's the worst part? It isn't even the game itself. It's that a bunch of people worked on this for a couple years (?) and in the end this is all they have to show for it. What a horribly unfulfilling experience.

Bladelaw

What are the odds Activision makes its money back on this? I feel for Robomodo, they were given a nigh impossible task, but no one should support this mess.

If this is one last cash in before the license goes poof then Activision should feel the sting.

I know people are comparing this to Goat Simulator, but that actually seems more stable. I've only seen footage of this but I've got the plat on the PS4 version of GS, and that was designed to be a glitchy mess.

When I watch these dumb pre-release interviews of Tony Hawk and the developers of Robomodo how much they put into the game, how great it is and that they went for that feel of THPS2 and 3 bla bla bla and THEN watch the real thing and it's just a steaming pile of horse shit I just wanna punch each and everyone of those assholes in their mouths..

Polk

Was this originally a mobile game that got switched to consoles late in development? I could've sworn I read that somewhere
Well there was mobile game that was canned but I don't think it's the same game here. Reused assets? Sure.
Unless Robomodo failed miserable at porting thps hd engine to mobiles (it's UE3 after all).

Red Devil

It's just the environment reacting to his "impact" like it normally does when you crash into it, only his body was in it so the particles were a bit packed...

Ah I see, for a second I thought the particles were like blood splattering around or something, which looked very odd(and also creepy like a fellow poster mentioned) because I don't recall that happening in the original THPS.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Robomodo have made multiple Tony Hawk games up to that point, and they apparently couldn't even get a HD remaster right during their tenure, you're right that it's Activision's fault for even giving Robomodo another chance after so many chances and falling short, they could have built up to this point with their previous games and iterated on it but didn't, this is just like when somehow 10 years after Spiderman 2, the Amazing Spiderman 2 game is boasting a Web slinging off buildings feature that never should have disappeared in the first place.

Doesn't help that they tried to shoehorn in cell shaded graphics only a month or two ago.

I've covered this. They've made 4 TH games. Two of which were not really tony hawk games (they used the dumb skateboard peripheral.) One was a low budget priced downloadable game that they were given a short amount of time to develop. Their final was a full priced game that they were again given a short time to develop. I don't find it fair to say something like They've been working on Tony Hawk for years, when plenty of those years were spent working on the TH brand, not a true Tony hawk game.

After finishing the game I am legitimately depressed. That is not a joke. I have struggled with depression for 15+ years, and THPS5 depressed me.

hesido

Was it mentioned the absolute shit job they did is probably related to the fact that Activision's Tony Hawk license is expiring by the end of this year?

http://www.craveonline.com/culture/...y-hawks-pro-skater-5-die-license-expires-2015

First, they needed to get this out of the gate, but obviously this shitty title wouldn't stand a chance right at the end of the year among the absolute block busters.

Second, since the license is expiring, they might as well shit all around the Tony Hawk name and won't give a damn, and it will also have a negative effect on any competitor willing to snap the rights, because the IP is tarnished, even if anybody does it, they've probably cut the sales of that by half already with this garbage (and customer reaction may lag by a title)

Struct09

Was it mentioned the absolute shit job they did is probably related to the fact that Activision's Tony Hawk license is expiring by the end of this year?

http://www.craveonline.com/culture/...y-hawks-pro-skater-5-die-license-expires-2015

First, they needed to get this out of the gate, but obviously this shitty title wouldn't stand a chance right at the end of the year among the absolute block busters.

Second, since the license is expiring, they might as well shit all around the Tony Hawk name and won't give a damn, and it will also have a negative effect on any competitor willing to snap the rights, because the IP is tarnished, even if anybody does it, they've probably cut the sales of that by half already with this garbage (and customer reaction may lag by a title)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1118590

Steroyd

I've covered this. They've made 4 TH games. Two of which were not really tony hawk games (they used the dumb skateboard peripheral.) One was a low budget priced downloadable game that they were given a short amount of time to develop. Their final was a full priced game that they were again given a short time to develop. I don't find it fair to say something like They've been working on Tony Hawk for years, when plenty of those years were spent working on the TH brand, not a true Tony hawk game.

They had a hand in THPSHD, which THPS5 was supposed to be inspired from, they could have used that as a base or shamelessly copied that and added more maps and people would have been happier than what reaction we're seeing right now.

They had a hand in THPSHD, which THPS5 was supposed to be inspired from, they could have used that as a base or shamelessly copied that and added more maps and people would have been happier than what reaction we're seeing right now.

Oh yeah. HD was infinitely better than this.

Bakercat

Well, if you don't consider those crippling glitches all of the hands on have also said:

• Game does not launch on Xbox One. It locks up if you try to launch it. To play the game you have to sign into Xbox One, launch the game, then sign out immediately, then once you get to the title screen, sign back in.
  • Starting challenges can sometimes be impossible. you're supposed to "Trick into" a challenge to star it, but it very rarely works
  • There is only full speed or stopped speed. Your character never gets up to speed, so if you're stuck in an area that you need a small amount of speed to get out of, tough shit, just bail and start over.
  • Online is completely fucked up

Here, just watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIXkRXYbKaI

If you don't find these gameplay glitches, then I'm not sure what constitutes a gameplay glitch. This game will go down as the glitchiest, worst game released in this generation.

OVZGMlC.gif

59E.gif

Vibranium

Banned
When I watch these dumb pre-release interviews of Tony Hawk and the developers of Robomodo how much they put into the game, how great it is and that they went for that feel of THPS2 and 3 bla bla bla and THEN watch the real thing and it's just a steaming pile of horse shit I just wanna punch each and everyone of those assholes in their mouths..

Seriously, they really didn't understand what makes the classic games so special. They're full of life, have no stupid power stuff and varied stuff to do. Whatever engine they used for this looks awful and the maps are barren.

At this point if I was to revive the brand I'd go back to THUG and capture what made the first game special. If it was successful then I'd try for Pro Skater 6 to make up for this mess.

Ah I see, for a second I thought the particles were like blood splattering around or something, which looked very odd(and also creepy like a fellow poster mentioned) because I don't recall that happening in the original THPS.

I'm pretty sure its blood. In THPSHD it has these little blood splatters when you fall off so I presume that is what is going on there.

DirtyLarry

Do you grind a lot?
Many glitches relate to Slam. You can make one happen via Slam + trying a grab move. Will always trigger something.
That being said, I found no game breaking glitches, but bails when I had no reason to was annoying.
I grind all the time. More than anything else. I do however never Slam and try a grab move. That actually does not make much sense to me? I can see doing a grab move then doing a grind, but doing a slam, which is essentially a grind, and a grab move right before landing? Not unless I had major air would I attempt that and even then I would do a sequence of buttons, not press both buttons at once.

Now granted a glitch should not happen because people are intentionally playing the game in a way I believe it is not meant to be played, but nevertheless that sequence of events just does not make sense to me. Pressing Slam & Grab together at the same time? The way the slam mechanic works, that seems next to impossible to me to pull off. Only way I can see that being possible is if you have major, major air, and even then I would press Slam then Grab, not the two together.

I also used to skate, and still do on a very rare occasion, in real life, so perhaps that has conditioned me, hell I know it has, to approach things a bit more realistically than others would.

I thought the same thing about not seeing any glitches. Until you know, they just started happening while normally playing the game. Just admit it, this game is a giant turd.
I played another 2 hours today, I have completed 15+ missions, and I have seen one glitch total, and it was not even really a glitch, just a funky ragdoll slam and I was up within seconds as if it was a normal slam.

And you have things very mistaken. I am not saying it is a great game. Far from it. I am however definitely saying it is not a giant turd. Unless somehow all of the glitches do not start happening until after the first 3 levels.

amnesiac

I can't believe THPS 5 is worse than THPS HD, one of the most disappointing games that I've ever played in my life.

cobaltorange

Neo Member

Someone needs to take those pre-release interviews and mix it with some of the terrible gameplay posted.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I played another 2 hours today, I have completed 15+ missions, and I have seen one glitch total, and it was not even really a glitch, just a funky ragdoll slam and I was up within seconds as if it was a normal slam.

And you have things very mistaken. I am not saying it is a great game. Far from it. I am however definitely saying it is not a giant turd. Unless somehow all of the glitches do not start happening until after the first 3 levels.
I never said you did.
The general consensus is the game is a turd. It would be even without the glitches. I've enjoyed my fair share of games people thought were bad, but this is not one of them.

I also used to skate, and still do on a very rare occasion, in real life, so perhaps that has conditioned me, hell I know it has, to approach things a bit more realistically than others would.
Every Tony Hawk game I own I've played the same. Obviously not counting before reverts, etc. The glitches occur doing normal stuff.

Hasney

Nah, HD was an equal pile of wank, just in different ways. If they got rid of the slam and fixed the bugs, this feels better to play when it actually works. Just a shame the environments are also shit.

I mean, even then it would still be shit. But using anything from HD other than the level design would be worse.

pikablu

Has a game ever been broken this bad and been fixed? Some of them are design flaws that I doubt could even be fixed this late into the stage.

Dunkley

I don't think that THHD was a strong enough base that to make a final product all they needed to do was add on top of it. It was solid, but there were bugs and issues that needed ironing out. They still needed the time to clean those out, while introducing new content, implementing their online multiplayer (which probably took a lot of time as online portions of games typically do), and cleaning up the new bugs that get introduced throughout this entire process.

Well I wonder about that. While the multiplayer in Tony Hawk's HD was only 4 players on consoles, it featured some of the same modes already (and others like Graffiti which apparently isn't in THPS5) so it's debatable how much time it actually took to adjust it for THPS5.

Probably still long, but some people are putting it like Tony Hawk's HD didn't have multiplayer at all so that's where all their effort went. But no MP is only true for the PC version.

gossi

Activision just issued a one sentence statement: "We are aware of the issues that players have experienced following the launch of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 and are working with the developer to address these so that we can continue to improve the gameplay experience for all of the Tony Hawk fans who have known and loved this franchise for more than 16 years".

Activision just issued a one sentence statement: "We are aware of the issues that players have experienced following the launch of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 and are working with the developer to address these so that we can continue to improve the gameplay experience for all of the Tony Hawk fans who have known and loved this franchise for more than 16 years".

So, a full recall, refund and restart development?

Top Bottom