• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 is a glitchy mess

V1fJsv2.png

Recall

It pretty much is dead after this. The contract from Activision expires this year and I doubt they will want to continue it after the reception for this game.

The last 4 or so titles have been horrifically bad, they haven't tried in a while.

pikablu

they kept hyping it up and leaving me with hope by stating they had copies of thps4 on their desks and were looking to acheive the feel of the skating in that but how could they think something like this even compared?

I said this game was a piece of shit the second they revealed it and I was right.

I wanted so badly for it to be good, but since they sent it out to die by hiring Robomodo again, what else could you expect?

Durante

Clearly, the only possible conclusion here is that it's an impossible engineering feat to release a console game which isn't a glitchy mess.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
It's not. I asked Eurogamer, they confirmed it is with the day one patch. It's only from 1 hour of play, too. The patch is also bigger than the game install.

They shipped the game unfinished.

You misunderstand me.
I want to play this without the patch. I can't even imagine how bad it must be if this footage is the "fixed" version.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Activision is making great strides in cutting the budgets for AAA games, but I don't think spending less than $60 to make a full retail product will pay off for them here.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't think people understand.

HD is way better than this. HD is a bad fucking game that controls like a poor version of a Tony Hawk game that feels slow as fuck. Like an amateur made it. But I finished all the levels in HD. I have 5 running in the background here and have NO desire to play more of it after only a few hours in. Imagine the awfulness of HD and everything it got wrong and then combine it with them 'trying new stuff' and not knowing what works in these kinds of games at all.

Like the thing about Skate. glitches is people discovered them while playing the game. Because the game is still fun to play. The game still feels good. Same with the old THPS games. This doesn't feel good. The glitches don't make me laugh. They just feel like another part of this rushed, unfinished game. Everything from the 'artstyle' to the menus to the ways freeskate are set up to the music just makes this whole thing feel like a team who have never seen a skateboard before in their life are being instructed by businessman Tony in how to make a skateboarding game.

gossi

You misunderstand me.
I want to play this without the patch. I can't even imagine how bad it must be if this footage is the "fixed" version.

Haha, sorry. Misread!

The mainstream press should be all over this. Games shouldn't be shipped which are complete dogshit.

whitehawk

Banned
To be fair most of the clips in the video are just ragdoll physics clipping through walls, which isn't as big of a deal as it seems. If it happens after you bailed, it doesn't really affect gameplay.

atomico

The fact that's they're playing as Tony Hawk in all of these glitch videos makes it even more heartbreaking. Also, way funnier.

XAL

You know, it's kind of a shame because that art style looks way better in motion than it did in stills.

Now where is the next skate game?

Revven

sanstitreabatd.png

So I guess this was the broken game some journalists were talking a couple of days ago?

No, definitely not, they said it was a AAA game and this is not a AAA game lmao. (And we know this because clearly the game's budget was pitiful, it was sent to die).

Most of these 'glitches' are clipping issues with respect to the ragdoll physics but not even previous THPS games (which used ragdoll physics for when you fell off your board or crashed) at least had the decency to make sure the character didn't, ever, clip through the ground.

Just terrible programming, either that or negligence.

Top Bottom