• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 is a glitchy mess

dreamfall

Yeah, it's looked horrible from the jump.

These glitches are going to be Tony Hawk's namesake, like Jesus Bynum. Even after being wrong about them showing video footage pretty regularly, it's absolutely shameful. I think perhaps it's time to let another developer really try their hand at it, or just dead the franchise entirely.

I'll pick it up when it's much cheaper, in the $10 range. Doesn't look like it'll be a long wait :/

The Flash

Banned
watch-tony-hawks-pro-skater-5-is-a-bit-of-a-glitchy-mess-144354485284.gif

lolol

Lol. Reminds me of this.

feelings-LA-Noire-stairs-fall-roll-1353404753B.gif

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I don't know if Tony Hawk could be considered a "major release", but yes, it's broken as fuck. I suppose what MCV stated a few days ago could have been a reference to Tony Hawk, then.

I didn't understand this either. Robomodo's history with making these games is dire. Just a glance at the game visually on its own should have been enough to indicate what kind of effort they were putting forth.

what do you mean what kind of effort they put forth?

they are known for bad tony hawk games. activision wanted another, and wanted it DIIIIRRRRRT cheap. And here we are.

thats just what happens when youre trying to do a money grab. i believe the contract for the name ends this year doesnt it? so they rushed a movie out.

same reason sony rushes spiderman movies out the door now. if they dont make one every x years they lose the license (i know things are a bit different now).

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Hopefully this isn't the game some tragic game journos were jerking themselves off over knowing was a "mess" because no shit, pretty much everyone knew this was gonna be a disaster.

Mahonay

Banned
what do you mean what kind of effort they put forth?

they are known for bad tony hawk games. activision wanted another, and wanted it DIIIIRRRRRT cheap. And here we are.

thats just what happens when youre trying to do a money grab. i believe the contract for the name ends this year doesnt it? so they rushed a movie out.

same reason sony rushes spiderman movies out the door now. if they dont make one every x years they lose the license (i know things are a bit different now).
Well yeah this is the core of the issue.

Damaniel

Banned
So Eurogamer managed to grab over 2 minutes of glitches in less than an hour? Hey, that's only 3% of the entire play experience - we should be ignoring those minor quirks and paying attention to the other 97%... /s

I know that Activision has been shitting on the Tony Hawk legacy for years now, but this game is shaping up to be the worst of the bunch BY FAR. I'm saddened by how far the series has fallen since the glory days of THPS 2/3/4, which I spent literally hundreds of hours playing. Time to put it out to pasture (that, or take it out behind the barn and shoot it dead).

Ahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahah ahah

Its a rushed Activisiob cash-in to squeeze the last cents out of the franchise. It won't get any meaningful patches.

Well, if the video is all we have to go on:

1: Ragdoll physics go berserk near slopes and corners
2: Ragdolls clip through trickable objects
2: Bail trajectories aren't correctly calculated near walls
3: Rail grind directions reverse instead of causing a bail
4: That weird rail corner. Probably a variant of the same bug causing 3.

Doesn't sound like an unfixable mess, but then again we could only have scratched the surface of what's going wrong.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Fixing the glitches aren't going to fix the god awful slam system that completely fucks combos and how you play a Tony Hawk game.

What a fucking disgrace. I don't think I've ever said this about a developer, but it's clear as a team Robo is incompetent. Also Activision is really to blame for this. Letting Robomodo make it, not scrapping the game after initial responses, and pushing the game out in this state.

Damaniel

Banned
Well, if the video is all we have to go on:

1: Ragdoll physics go berserk near slopes and corners
2: Ragdolls clip through trickable objects
2: Bail trajectories aren't correctly calculated near walls
3: Rail grind directions reverse instead of causing a bail
4: That weird rail corner.

Doesn't sound like an unfixable mess, but then again we could only have scratched the surface of what's going wrong.

Considering how easy it was for Eurogamer to find issues (from the footage, I get the impression they weren't actively trying to break it), I'm guessing there are fundamental issues that will prevent everything from being fixed just by tossing out a couple patches. Hell, this footage all came from a patched copy of the game, so you have to wonder how bad it was out of the box!

I'd be tempted to buy it just for the laughs, but I refuse to reward a company for shitting in a box and delivering it to their customers.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I truly hope this is the game mentioned in the other thread. Let's see how long it takes for this game to get priced correctly

Top Bottom