• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Human - couple of new screens from IGN

Salazar

sypher said:
It looks kinda generic. The art style is nothing special. Its like Warhammer + Mass Effect

Generic aspects of art and entertainment are the levy we pay for genres - on balance, and in this case in my opinion, the cost is fair. A 'special art style', which I agree Too Human doesn't really have, is a more rare and precious thing than is commonly admitted. The fact that Too Human doesn't exhilarate on this count isn't a fail mark - most games don't.

Warhammer + Mass Effect = awesome formula. Lazy and kind of backfiring apparatus for criticism, seeing as Games Workshop have produced some of the most terrific sci-fi and fantasy art ever and Mass Effect looks beautiful to most.

FFChris

Looks fine, nowhere near the best looking next-gen game out there, but it's ok.

What else is there to say? We've been getting screenshots of the same area for months now, and by the sounds of it there is so much more to this game than just shooting robots.

Busty

Banned
It's hard to be objective about this game (nevermind the fact it's an exclusive MS first party title) given the nature of Dyack's relationship with this forum.

But I have to say that I personally have no ill will towards the man at all. I bought Eternal Darkness for the Gamecube and enjoyed it. I've been aware of Silicon Knights for quite some time, just not Dyack himself.

I honestly can't think of a game in recent memory (5/10 years?) that's had such a repeated public showing of it's difficulties. But in saying that, I still believe this game has a while to go before it's ready to really shown. But it can't help it's cause that every time it's shown. It fails to truly impress.

FFChris said:
Looks fine, nowhere near the best looking next-gen game out there, but it's ok.

It speaks volumes of this game's past when the collective expectation for a new set of screenshots are so low. There's one word for the way this game looks IMHO.

Adequate.

Looks good, but this screenshot-business every two or three weeks is getting ridiculous. It is time they released some HD video of someone playing the game, or a demo over XBL.

A demo over XBL during this holiday season would do wonders for this game.

They need to start showing some new stuff. How many times have we seen this exact same room? This same enemy? Baldur in the same outfit?

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
sypher said:
It looks kinda generic. The art style is nothing special. Its like Warhammer + Mass Effect

It transcends comparisons.

Screens look good. IGN sux. Fanboys at battlestations. Now with Unreal.

Did I get it all covered?

Go, SK!

SPEA

Looks neat. I love this shot. It was posted last week.

too-human-20070726015606590.jpg

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Every time I enter a Too Human thread I feel like I've entered the twilight zone. I continue to be very, very intrigued by the game and think it looks amazing.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
RSTEIN said:
Every time I enter a Too Human thread I feel like I've entered the twilight zone. I continue to be very, very intrigued by the game and think it looks amazing.

Yeah, it's quite surreal. I watched the E3 trailer and I was all "Wow, that was great!" only to check GAF and find universal trolling, blasting it for it's "art direction."

Busty

Banned
HydrantC12 said:

The actual art doesn't bother me, it's the execution. For example, the above image. The design of the robot itself is fine. But it's the grinders in the chest that annoy me.

From the E3 07 trailer we see that they are supposed to used to grind up living humans presumably on the battlefield. But in this shot they don't look menacing in the slightest.

In fact they look more like three rolls of Aztec themed wallpaper. A hideous proective in itself granted, but nothing like human grinding blades.

voltron said:
Oh cmon! Those screens look amazing. No need to jump on the SK/Dyack hate train just because everyone else is. Those screens look great.

I really hope this game gets the respect it deserves, considering everything thats happened.

Care to point out exactly what it is that is supposed to be amazing about this screen?

too-human-20070803003525407.jpg

Sorry, I know I'm going to have to turn in my NeoGAF card at the door, but I'm really liking those first two screenshots (ignoring the compression). Seems to me that a lot of people are letting a dislike of Dyack get in the way of giving the game a fair shot.

Buggy Loop

Remember when dyack was interviewed in The GIA about too human and it was about a cop in a cyber punk futuristic city where he could go stealth/hack/gun his way through a believable setting and script?

Yea, i miss those days, this isnt too human anymore.

Timan

Developer
Do we think this game will succeed or turn into another Advent Rising?

Amazing story... but it was never finished (games planned as trilogies) due to the game flopping...

Xavien

Buggy Loop said:
Remember when dyack was interviewed in The GIA about too human and it was about a cop in a cyber punk futuristic city where he could go stealth/hack/gun his way through a believable setting and script?

Yea, i miss those days, this isnt too human anymore.

GIA, heh i haven't heard that name in a long long time.

Feels good. Just proves that this game has as much chance of releasing this decade as Duke Nukem Forever.

PleoMax

Banned
Timan said:
Do we think this game will succeed or turn into another Advent Rising?

Amazing story... but it was never finished (games planned as trilogies) due to the game flopping...

Since MS is publishing it, and it's a pretty big project i think there's a very good chance that won't happen.

You know, this hate for denis you see at GAf, that translantes into a free pass for anyone to hate on the game, whether you own the console or ever looked forward to it, it doesn't matter. The game just needs to be good, and GAF can still hate on it however it wants, that the game will succeed.

Jirotrom

I'm gonna be honest, I really don't like the look of the unreal engine at all. It's not just this game it's all the unreal based games. Only when the engine has been heavily modified it actually looks good.

Psychotext said:
Sorry, I know I'm going to have to turn in my NeoGAF card at the door, but I'm really liking those first two screenshots (ignoring the compression). Seems to me that a lot of people are letting a dislike of Dyack get in the way of giving the game a fair shot.

Personally, I think some of my reservation towards this game has to do with that I don't think this interpretation of entities and environments from norse mythology seems to be all that great. And honestly, using runes and blunt symbolism to somehow validate it as being connected to norse mythology and culture doesn't work with me. This may or may not change once we know more about the story, but it seems awfully simplistic at this point.

And then there is the unfortunate fact that the combat movement in earlier gameplay demos has looked like overengineered crud, which kind of adds to the above mentioned issue.

As for these screens, I really don't understand what it is that is supposed to be amazing about them, and then specifically the screen I quoted.

this is my most anticipated title this gen, even more than rock band. I absolutely can't wait for it.

Aside from the bullshit that plagued the majority of the egm live denis was on, when he actually talked about the game i knew this was, well, something special.

I have faith SK will deliver. i haven't played dark legions or fantasy empires, but the other 3 titles they worked on were great IMO.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Jirotrom said:
I'm gonna be honest, I really don't like the look of the unreal engine at all. It's not just this game it's all the unreal based games. Only when the engine has been heavily modified it actually looks good.

Uh, I can't tell if this is sarcasm, but the UE3 engine SK is using here is more than heavily modified. It's so vastly changed that they've entered into litigation against Epic for breach of contract for failure to provide a working engine.

Jirotrom

urk said:
Uh, I can't tell if this is sarcasm, but the UE3 engine SK is using here is more than heavily modified. It's so vastly changed that they've entered into litigation against Epic for breach of contract for failure to provide a working engine.
yeah thats true but everything still looks inorganic to me, it still has that "Unreal" look...like gears of war did and now lost odyssey, Stranglehold, UT3, Mass effect. There are two games that have pulled themselves far enough away from the engine that makes them standout, Rainbow 6 Vegas and Bioshock.

Triz

Why so much hate for this one. It looks great. Do yourself a favor and look at the logo for this place.

BELIEVE

pr0cs

Triz said:
Why so much hate for this one. It looks great. Do yourself a favor and look at the logo for this place.

It's the 'Dyack' effect. If his name is attached to anything it's guaranteed to be shit for a lot of people. He's very polarizing.
I don't understand it myself but on this board it is 100% accurate.

Jirotrom

pr0cs said:
It's the 'Dyack' effect. If his name is attached to anything it's guaranteed to be shit for a lot of people. He's very polarizing.
I don't understand it myself but on this board it is 100% accurate.
I don't think the gameplay will be shit...or the scope, actually I love the idea of using the Norse mythology, because I am a huge fan of the different mythologies. The thing for me is that you can see that they are having issues with the engine and that really sucks because I really want to play the game. I wish they would have developed their own engine or asked Capcom for help or something.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Jirotrom said:
I wish they would have developed their own engine or asked Capcom for help or something.

Capcom aside, this is the direction they've been moving for some time now.

I'd really like to see this engine in motion.

PleoMax said:
Game looks pretty damn good. Don't know how you can think otherwise, some of you hate just to hate.
Yep, it does look good, I hope it plays well too. I have been looking forward to this game. Its Norse mythology should make for a great story line. To bad Silicon Knights boss has a bad rap that tarnishing this game.

USD

My issue with the game is that it sounds very nice on paper, with some huge potential (DMCesque combat with RPG customization and 4-player co-op? I'm down), but we haven't seen it in execution yet. I'm not going to throw the game out the window yet, but I haven't seen anything yet that says to me, "this game is the real deal." I guess I'll just have to wait until the next time we see gameplay, whenever that may be.

AltogetherAndrews said:
As for these screens, I really don't understand what it is that is supposed to be amazing about them, and then specifically the screen I quoted.
Who said amazing? A game can still be good with solid graphics, not everything has to be a step up from other games that have been released.

(Something I think a lot of people have forgotten this gen.)

Kobold

half-wit retard monkey's ass
Salazar said:
I had never heard his name until Too Human was announced (though I did play and like some of the Legacy games). He has some inadmissible ideas about games, games media, entertainment and art and his role in it all, and gives itchingly, lingeringly infuriating interviews, but I now have some time (as opposed to none at all) for Denis. I'm going to be vicariously relieved when this sucker goes on sale / comes in for reviews - it feels like a coin that's been balancing for so long.

I like how you let the man have so much power over you while you don't even know him. :lol It consumes so much of your time it seems, that is just grand!

Anyways, great premise in Too Human, would like a demo or something.

Busty

Banned
PleoMax said:
Since MS is publishing it, and it's a pretty big project i think there's a very good chance that won't happen.

You know, this hate for denis you see at GAf, that translantes into a free pass for anyone to hate on the game, whether you own the console or ever looked forward to it, it doesn't matter. The game just needs to be good, and GAF can still hate on it however it wants, that the game will succeed.

PleoMax
Spinning for his life
(Today, 03:18 PM)
Reply | Quote

Top Bottom