• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Human - couple of new screens from IGN

dionysus

Yaldog
Dies Iræ said:
You know when you see someone wearing excessively cool clothing? It's kind of like that. It's all a little off and a little too much for my taste. Huge swords, insane armor, massive enemies, bloom, light streaming everywhere, tons of sparks and stuff... it's just trying to be cool and epic while falling short.

Didn't you just describe every AAA HD game? Gears, Halo, HS....

eve241

AltogetherAndrews said:
Personally, I think some of my reservation towards this game has to do with that I don't think this interpretation of entities and environments from norse mythology seems to be all that great.

By that you mean they aren't being faifthful to the Eddas?They were pretty vague and from what I can tell and from what we've seen so far I think SK isn't really being unfaithful in any way.

Anyway I think the point is to use Norse mythology as a more of a metaphor than actually portraying Asgard,Midgard etc like it's described in the books.

I'm sure TH won't be featuring Audhumla the cow :D

urk said:
Uh, I can't tell if this is sarcasm, but the UE3 engine SK is using here is more than heavily modified. It's so vastly changed that they've entered into litigation against Epic for breach of contract for failure to provide a working engine.

I thought SK no longer uses the Unreal engine. They stopped using it since last year according to that article about the lawsuit. They had to use a completely new, in-house engine, thus the reason for the delay.

And Im surprised that there aren't any bannings for trolling here. We get it, you don't like the game. Go away.

Denis, is the game close to release? As I said in my post on page 2, this is my most anticipated title. Please don't keep me waiting :D

Doodis

xS1TH L0RDx said:
this is my most anticipated title this gen, even more than rock band. I absolutely can't wait for it.

Agreed. I'm excited for this game mostly because it's such a wild card. We know Halo 3 will be awesome, but nobody knows how Too Human is going to turn out.

I've been anticipating this game ever since the first trailer was shown back at E3 '05 (or whenever it was). We need a game like this for the 360 right now. Action/Adventure/RPG games are few and far between.

mm04

Masta_Killah said:
I thought SK no longer uses the Unreal engine. They stopped using it since last year according to that article about the lawsuit. They had to use a completely new, in-house engine, thus the reason for the delay.

And Im surprised that there aren't any bannings for trolling here. We get it, you don't like the game. Go away.

I was under the impression that they just had to add the functionality they wanted themselves to the UE3 engine rather than wait for what Epic supposedly had promised. I could be wrong though.

The E3 trailer was good shit. Haters be damned. Some of you are going to be eating your hats when this game actually turns out to be AAA.

macksplack said:
Compression aside i think it looks good, i'm more worried about the dual analog controls.

I remember Shane loving them in the EGM cover story. They sounded pretty dope at the time and I don't know that there's been a look at it as in depth since then.

EverSoTrendy said:
The E3 trailer was good shit. Haters be damned. Some of you are going to be eating your hats when this game actually turns out to be AAA.
There is wishful thinking and there is denial. What about this game screams AAA? The combat looked boring and spastic, the cutscenes we have seen have been uncoordinated and jittery, and the graphics are among the worst we have seen for an Unreal Engine 3 game. If this game turns out to be AAA I will eat a copy of Too Human along with my hat.

Denis Dyack said:
There will be a demo :)
Awesome! More gameplay videos please. Stat.

Zenith, I've sued myself many times. Easy way to make a fast buck! Though, avoid the lawyers; go to small claims court.

Banned
EverSoTrendy said:
What happens if it pulls a lair and sucks ass?

And :lol at the Dyack defense. So not being excited for this games means I hate Silicon knights now.

It couldn't possibly be becuase the game looks average to me.

BamYouHaveAids said:
There is wishful thinking and there is denial. What about this game screams AAA? The combat looked boring and spastic, the cutscenes we have seen have been uncoordinated and jittery, and the graphics are among the worst we have seen for an Unreal Engine 3 game. If this game turns out to be AAA I will eat a copy of Too Human along with my hat.
But are we talking wide-brimmed hat, ten gallon hat, beer helmet, or your run-of-the-mill baseball cap? The strength of your conviction turns on this question ;)

BamYouHaveAids said:

Your post is just as subjective as anybody's. I respectfully disagree with you on all of your points, especially about graphics and combat. But hey, opinions, right? What I'm most excited for is the narrative; when Denis explained that each game in the trilogy has a theme and he revealed what those themes are on the egm live podcast, I knew this was something more than just an action game.

It seems like even before "the e3 incident" people have had it out for too human just because it's one of those projects thats been around for forever. One thing is for certain, the reaction to the game is going to be very interesting.

Jirotrom

EverSoTrendy said:
I thought the game was AAA...

Spasm

exarkun said:
dammit I clicked on the thread cause I wanted to have a good laugh. But, to my surprise and enjoyment, Too Human finally is starting to look like a next gen-ish game.
My thoughts exactly. You win THIS time Denis, but we'll be back! Mark my words!

Looks freakin fantastic! Would love to see some gameplay to see if they've worked the framerate issues out.

aaaaa0 said:
image001.jpg

For JPG compression artifacts, IGN wins... as usual.
:lol :lol

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
dirtmonkey37 said:
Shadows have been turned on!

EDIT: That life-bar looks unactractive... If the "mini-boss" only requires twenty seconds to defeat, why even bother implementing a life-bar? It clutters the screen.
Where do you get a conclusion that the the miniboss requires 20 seconds to defeat?

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Masta_Killah said:

Not exactly. They've been steadily coding their own engine piece by piece, moving away from the UE3 code as they go, but I believe there are (or at least were at the time the suit was drawn up) still portions of Epic's work riddled in there.

Mifune

Mehmber
Xavien said:
GIA, heh i haven't heard that name in a long long time.

Feels good. Just proves that this game has as much chance of releasing this decade as Duke Nukem Forever.

Okay, so you're HOPING the game never gets released.

F*cking weirdo.

rakka

Blog update: Essential Eye Candy
http://blogs.ign.com/silicon-knights/2007/08/02/62148/

too-human-20070803003523658-000.jpg

Baldur takes on a Troll with range weapons

In computer gaming, eye candy has been used to describe a vfx (visual effect) as something that has a visual aesthetic quality, but is not essential to story or game play. Special effects, however, do add a layer of realism to a level to make it come alive and enlighten. By enlighten I mean that the vfx informs the player by providing feedback. For example, a vfx can tell the player how their fight is progressing in a boss fight. If your firing your weapon and the enemy starts to smoke, you know you are doing damage. A large final explosion, with all the Hollywood style pyrotechnics thrown in, provides sweet closure to a hard fought boss encounter.

Weapon vfx are also important, as they provide visual response to the type of weapons that is being fired and how it is impacting the environment. Smaller less powerful weapons should have appropriate scaled down aesthetic, while more menacing weapons vfx should look more powerful. As you level up on a weapon, a noticeable improvement in your weapons performance should be evident from the use of vfx.

Characters have subtle vfx applied to them to help them blend into the environment. Vapors from a character’s breath or dust and snow kicking up from a running character add that sense of polish to a scene. Further, once the background artist has finished modeling, texturing and lightning a level, environmental vfx are put in that are appropriate to the context of the level. These elements include steam, snow, dust and lens flares.

Vfx can be a strong visual tool, but game makers want to make sure that they don’t overpower the screen with vfx if it is not called for. The vfx need to be balanced with the levels, NPCs, and AI running in the game. In order to accomplish this balance, we start with artist design, which creates the assets according to content, design and art requirements. Just like characters or background creations, the vfx need to be scrutinized and thought through for style and consistency. It is very important to provide the artist with as much information as possible during early stages of art design.

They need to understand the concept art, key words and context information about the vfx asset so they can start designing the art assets. Since Too Human is based on Norse mythology, mythology plays a role in vfx creation, as the concepts below illustrate. Animals, such as serpents and birds, play prominently into the vfx design to give it a Norse treatment. This aspect gave art design an obvious
starting point.

too-human-20070803003522378-000.jpg

Concept art for special effects staging and asset creation

too-human-20070803003525407-000.jpg

Baldur initiates a special attack to finish the Troll

Also in “Too Human,” the speed at which the main character Baldur can perform his melee attacks can be quite fast and add to his quick movements through space during slides, jump attacks and aerial combat. He is so fast that one can almost miss the action on the screen. By adding a visual effect trail to the end of a staff or along the shaft of a swinging blade provides a visual account of the weapons trajectory within the last few seconds. The path of the weapon can be seen and appreciated by the player, as Baldur performs his melee attack or katas. This after image effect left by the melee weapon can be traced back to photography or to the cinema, where fast moving objects appear as streaks or blurs.

In addition, to communicate to the player that they have indeed made contact with the enemy, we needed to provide feedback with impact effects, such as flashes or sparks. For the final enemy blow, we use the vfx of hit stalls, where the camera momentarily freezes to show the moment of impact of the weapon upon the enemy before it goes into its death throws. This effect makes for a powerful feeling of contact between Baldur and the NPC, and adds visual impact for the player.

With the epic scale of “Too Human’s” story and game play, we need to present an aesthetic vision that is on the scale of Hollywood movies. With a lot of the attention being paid to characters and background, it is important not to neglect this essential eye candy we call visual effects.

too-human-20070803003520645-000.jpg

A Ruiner help can help to add to your DPS happy

blackadde

i really don't care for the game itself from what i've seen, but glimpses of the nuts-and-bolts development process like this:

too-human-20070803003522378-000.jpg

is really nice. keep it up!

jimbo

Banned
TrueReligion said:
Sorry, it looks very MEH. I never understood why this game was ever hyped.

The question is to you really want and care to understand? Cause if you do I won't mind explaining.

While I don't pretend to be anywhere near well documented on the game it's basically something like this:

An online cooperative(that right there should peack ANYONE's interest) action game with deep rpg elements, incredible atmosphere, an incredibly deep world to discover based on the popular and highly coveted Norse mythology, futuristic elements mixed in with ancient ones, and Gods, and so on, cinematic storytelling, high production values, excellent voice acting, epic settings ranging from ice worlds, to deserts, to mountains and so on and so on....oh and like a 15 year in-development process that spans I don't know how many consoles. In short a PSO's fan wet dream.

Did I miss anything GAF?

Why do trolls always get a free pass in Too Human threads? It really makes it hard to talk about this game without it just turning into a thread about how people hate Denis.

Can we please just talk about Too Human for once without pointless troll posts?

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
godhandiscen said:
Where do you get a conclusion that the the miniboss requires 20 seconds to defeat?

If you've seen a good deal of Too Human images, you'll notice that giant-hammer-robot appear multiple times throughout varying environments. Thus, if this "mini-boss" occupied a ten minute period of time every time it challenged the player -- that would just be gratuitous. As such, I assumed that since we've seen this model so many times thus far, it would be a quick affair. It would be dispatched in a matter of seconds or minutes. Besides, take into consideration some of the E3 '05 videos with Balder climbing on top of this thing and stabbing his blade through its head and you too will sense how insignficant (in terms of time) this boss is.

If that doesn't sound like a good response, replace it with this one: intuition.

I still can't get into this game. Not trying to be a troll, but it looks like a cyber-punk GOW mixed with more of the same. Really want it to be good though.

Constructive criticism is fine... just one liners that really don't add anything to the thread are getting annoying especially in Too Human threads.

Salazar

Kobold said:
I like how you let the man have so much power over you while you don't even know him. :lol It consumes so much of your time it seems, that is just grand!

Not so much - I reserve stalker energy for Updike. Denis' travails do have significant entertainment value, though. I would subscribe in a nanosecond to court-tv broadcast (or podcast) of the Epic squabble.

Endow said:
By that you mean they aren't being faifthful to the Eddas?They were pretty vague and from what I can tell and from what we've seen so far I think SK isn't really being unfaithful in any way.

Anyway I think the point is to use Norse mythology as a more of a metaphor than actually portraying Asgard,Midgard etc like it's described in the books.

I'm sure TH won't be featuring Audhumla the cow :D

Actually, it's more a problem I have with the general presentation; motion, atmosphere, and so forth. The combat doesn't feel "wild" enough, for one. I don't know enough about the story to really judge either way, but the presentation just strikes me as poorly fitting the mythological and cultural base. And I think the idea of it being a metaphor would be easier to accept if the company did not use runes and basic symbolism. That makes it feel a bit like for example motorcycle gangs naming their clubs after Norse gods and sporting jacket prints featuring Mjolner.

People tell me that SK is really good at writing stories though, so I actually have more hope for that to be good than any other component.

Psychotext said:
Who said amazing? A game can still be good with solid graphics, not everything has to be a step up from other games that have been released.

(Something I think a lot of people have forgotten this gen.)

The guy I quoted in an earlier post.

marine-vignette.jpg

Needs more power armor.

On a more serious note, it seems to be doing a lot better. Wish there was more stuff in the environment though...

Top Bottom