• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top Gear New Series |OT| No Longer Starring Chris Evans

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenexus6

The problem is everyone watched because we knew it was going to suck, thats why the viewing stats are decent.

The show is trash but I feel alot of people will continue watching just so they are mock it.

Xun

Well it was rumored that there was a back room power struggle between Evans and the BBC about control of the show. Who knows maybe Evans wanted to change the format and was over ruled by the producers that just wanted a continuation of what came before just without Clarkson.
If there was a struggle, I do very much expect you to be correct.

The BBC have handled this whole situation stubbornly and I feel they want to cling onto the past too much.

The format should've certainly changed more than it did.

RazMaTaz

Banned
I think its become a mutual agreement that Evans sucks as a presenter. I would gladly take someone who is a real car enthusiast (Tiff Needel), over Evans to present this show. Remember, Needel was once upon a time a Top Gear host with Clarkson. While Needel might not have the "funnies", he definately knows his cars. Hell, even Steve Coogan wouldve been a better choice over Evans.

ahAQHSh.jpg

Tu101uk

I think its become a mutual agreement that Evans sucks as a presenter. I would gladly take someone who is a real car enthusiast (Tiff Needel), over Evans to present this show. Remember, Needel was once upon a time a Top Gear host with Clarkson. While Needel might not have the "funnies", he definately knows his cars. Hell, even Steve Coogan wouldve been a better choice over Evans.
The problem is that they already have someone on their roster who is a car enthusiast and is infinitely more personable for a show like this - problem is they stuck him on the iPlayer-only sister show instead.

They really need to promote Chris Harris and even his Extra Gear co-host Rory Reid to the main show to make it more tolerable.

Also yeah I was going to mention those Tweets from Chris Evans - I hope he realises that a chunk of that viewership was to see what sort of tone would be set for the series from the first episode. I wouldn't expect the same numbers next week or for the rest of the series unless it improves dramatically.

liquidtmd

Banned
I was half asleep but listening to his breakfast show this morning, he continued his non acknowledgement of any criticism or anything wrong in regards to Top Gear BUT I'm sure before he played 'We Don't Talk Anymore' he quipped something along the lines that 'this applies currently to me and the BBC'.

Dont suppose anyone else was listening and caught that or did I mishear?

jelly

Trouble they have is the same formula. Chris Evans needs to be there for that. Harris would be a fish out of water as would everyone else most likely. So, Top Gear had to change but didn't and we're in this really awkward scattergun phase. They may grow into the roles and change things, have to wait an see. They have enough presenters to work with which may be the long term plan of moulding a new Top Gear to succeed this one. Harris could easily be promoted one day.

The problem is that they already have someone on their roster who is a car enthusiast and is infinitely more personable for a show like this - problem is they stuck him on the iPlayer-only sister show instead.

Yeah, it's so incredibly stupid that I feel compelled to keep coming here to express my disbelief at Harris not even being in the main show. I get why they wanted a veteran like Evans to host. But Harris would have been a much, much better choice.

Also, there's too many hosts now.

Did they lose everybody that knew what made Top Gear work?

"Hey, the Reliant Robin thing we did years ago was funny, lets do it again!"

"Hey, lets add some dirt sections to the track the celebrities drive on."

"Hey, lets hire this radio personality, and american actor, and a german racecar driver. They'll play off each other well!"

Also, where can I watch these James May builds lawnmowers in his shed?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

They really need to promote Chris Harris and even his Extra Gear co-host Rory Reid to the main show to make it more tolerable.

Also yeah I was going to mention those Tweets from Chris Evans - I hope he realises that a chunk of that viewership was to see what sort of tone would be set for the series from the first episode. I wouldn't expect the same numbers next week or for the rest of the series unless it improves dramatically.

I think theirs,is take was going for a big name presenter,mrather than someone into cars that can also present well. Chris Evans just doesn't do scriptd stuff well - he's a gobby sod so is more suited to his breakfast radio show which is just stream of consciousness stuff between records, or TFI which has that same chatty approach.

how long before they get ocean colour scene on as star in a car?

I lasted about 10 minutes before bailing on this - from reading this thread it doesn't look like I missed much. It just seemed like such a tone deaf approach. They were too scared to create something new and this poor imitation is the result.

MilkyJoe

I lasted about 10 minutes before bailing on this - from reading this thread it doesn't look like I missed much. It just seemed like such a tone deaf approach. They were too scared to create something new and this poor imitation is the result.

Yep

It was like watching a cover band that had all the right instruments, but were a poor imitation.

And I mean literally imitation, wtf was Chris Evans thinking with the intro line and the "where do you think you've come on the board" Star in the car section... There are no words for the embarrassment I felt for him.

That was, eh. Not terrible but not brilliant. The best bit was Matt on his own in the desert, the worst bit was anytime Chris Evans appeared or spoke.

I thought I was watching one of those awful "remember the 90's" talking about Don't Forget Your Toothbrush.

I will probably still watch as the chemistry thing can take time to happen but I'm still wondering where the other 68 hosts were hiding. I also expected them to change the show a bit more to suit the new crew. I'm glad they kept the theme tune, but kinda wish we'd at least get a new version of it.

After one episode, It's like one of those brand new SNL casts that takes over after everyone gets fired that themselves only last a year.

hadareud

The Translator
I haven't watched it yet, but Top Gear has been pretty shit for many years imo.

Can it really be that much worse now?

Holy hyperbole Batman, seems like this is the cool thing to hate on at the moment!!!!.

Yeah, it seems so. I didn't think it was that bad for a first show. The pre-recorded bits were entertaining, Chris E was a bit hyper and try-hard for the studio segments but i'll be watching it again next week.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Holy hyperbole Batman, seems like this is the cool thing to hate on at the moment!!!!.

Can't speak for anyone else but I'm definitely not jumping on any bandwagons. I loved TFI Friday back in the day and I listen to Chris Evans' breakfast radio show quite regular. I've got nothing against the guy. His hyper excited style just didn't fit in this format, I almost expected some tumbleweed to roll past as he tried to engage the live audience, and the blokey banter between him and Matt LeBlanc didn't work because they obviously have no chemistry yet. The jokes fell flat, pretty much every one.

Evans may tone it down a bit in the next couple of weeks, and maybe LeBlanc and him can build a relationship where the jokes will come more naturally. Let's give them time. But that first episode was pretty bad, it's that simple. I don't think that's an unfair statement.

KRaZyAmmo

I watched the first episode. I actually didn't mind Matt LeBlanc's segment on the rally car. I found that enjoyable and reminiscent of old top gear in a eay. I was disappointed in Sabine as she was making horrible jokes and wish she actually did a review on a car seeing as she's an actual racing driver. I couldn't stand the Z06 vs ACR Viper segment because we've seen them do this. I can say the same about the Reliant Robin segment.

Why do it when we already had older but better segments of it. I really didn't like Chris Evans. It was clear in the ACR Viper review he eas trying to imitate Clarkson which he clearly can't. He also came off as egotistical and a dick. I'll watch it just to see if it gets any better. Also i felt there was no chemistry with the hosts. I was cringing with the all the lame jokes they were making.
Also it didn't help they were making stabs at the old top gear. That's not cool and a good way to gain more viewership.

Can't speak for anyone else but I'm definitely not jumping on any bandwagons. I loved TFI Friday back in the day and I listen to Chris Evans' breakfast radio show quite regular. I've got nothing against the guy. His hyper excited style just didn't fit in this format, I almost expected some tumbleweed to roll past as he tried to engage the live audience, and the blokey banter between him and Matt LeBlanc didn't work because they obviously have no chemistry yet. The jokes fell flat, pretty much every one.

Evans may tone it down a bit in the next couple of weeks, and maybe LeBlanc and him can build a relationship where the jokes will come more naturally. Let's give them time. But that first episode was pretty bad, it's that simple. I don't think that's an unfair statement.

I agree. I think Evans needs the slightly-drunk and hyped for live performances audience from TFI. The Top Gear audience are just watching some videos and a pretty bad interview. The audience just don't seem hyped enough to match Evan's presentation style.
Most cringeworthy is when Evans does a Clarkson thing with his voice (rising intonation - pause - deep gravitas voice).

LeBlanc is surprisingly good.

I watched some of the Extra Gear programme expecting it to be amateur-hour youtube fodder, but Rory the main presenter is much much better than Evans. The other guy Chris Harris seems more of a conventional petrolhead, but has a lot of enthusiasm and they have good chemistry.
Their interview is also much better and their "news" section is as good as anything Clarkson et al did.
They could make a damn good programme if they switched Chris Evans for Rory and Chris Harris (keeping LeBlanc and Schmidt).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Did they lose everybody that knew what made Top Gear work?

"Hey, the Reliant Robin thing we did years ago was funny, lets do it again!"

"Hey, lets add some dirt sections to the track the celebrities drive on."

"Hey, lets hire this radio personality, and american actor, and a german racecar driver. They'll play off each other well!"

Also, where can I watch these James May builds lawnmowers in his shed?
Pretty much nailed it.

I mentioned this on the other page too, but the poor quality of the show is one part trying to fix what wasn't broken, and one part not understanding how important good host chemistry (and, high key, delivering patented British humour) is to the format.

Hell, I think the Top Gear USA folks played off of each other better in their first outing.

Dobsie

Evans and Le Blanc trying to banter each other doesn't work when they've only just started working together, seeing them trying to pull off the same gags as the old trio doesn't work. If they were going to have 2 completely new hosts they should have scrapped the old format completely.
Alternatively they could have gone with Tif Needel and Chris Harris as the main men, those 2 were bouncing off each other in Harris's LaFerrari v P1 v 918 video.

TheZink

Well Im half way through the first episode and Im enjoying it. Its much better than the horrible American version. I can't last 15 min watching that.

Edit: I just finished and I liked it. The only part I thought was bad was the Star in the Rally Car when the crowd reactions were forced onto them.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Looks like Evans' facts are a bit.. less fact-y.

The show debuted to disappointing ratings in the UK, netting just 4.3 million viewers on Sunday night. That's down 1.3 million viewers from the show's average with its former hosts, but the bigger concern for Chris Evans is that it's well below his target of 5 million viewers. According to The Hollywood Reporter, the opening episode of Top Gear's 23rd season was the lowest rated in 10 years.

Evans has clarified that he was talking about consolidated figures there, which we won't know for another week and which probably will indeed be more than 5 million.

As for it not rating as much as the old incarnation... Yeah, no shit, although that quote's comparing two different types of figure. Lowest launch figures for ten years matches up pretty neatly with Hammond's accident, which was what propelled the old show into the big time.

For the sake of balance, though, it's worth noting that the AI score, which measures how much the audience liked the show, was bloody terrible. It's not surprising (the show could have been a lot better than it was and still been pilloried) but still, ouch.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

You can go check out Matt LeBlanc's segment in the desert with the Nomad. That part was solid. While he has absolutely no chemistry with Evans, LeBlanc on his own seems to be a pretty good presenter.

The rest sucked.

One thing I noticed about the taped segments other than the Nomad piece is that there wasn't any explanation of what and why. What was the Top Gun challenge even supposed to tell us about the cars? And, for that matter, your very first challenge involves Chris fucking Evans beating Sabine Schmitz on the track? Really? Speaking of, what's Sabine's role on this show anyway? Does anybody at Top Gear even know? Why were they going to Blackpool in the first place? Usually when Top Gear travels somewhere it has a specific reason for doing so. What was the UK vs. USA challenge for? Why was there no competitiveness between the hosts whatsoever if it was supposed to be a versus challenge? Why didn't they mention the concept of putting a "flag" on top of the mountain until the very end of the piece? What even was the point of hauling the Reliants up the hill? Even when old Top Gear did ridiculous and absurd challenges, they presented some reason for doing so, as if it was supposed to demonstrate something or make a point, even if it was a ludicrous one. They didn't even attempt to do that on this show. Just "we went to Blackpool because it's a place to go, I guess, and we did these challenges that don't really matter, mean anything, or tell us anything about the vehicles we're doing them in because reasons."

KRaZyAmmo

You can go check out Matt LeBlanc's segment in the desert with the Nomad. That part was solid. While he has absolutely no chemistry with Evans, LeBlanc on his own seems to be a pretty good presenter.

The rest sucked.

One thing I noticed about the taped segments other than the Nomad piece is that there wasn't any explanation of what and why. What was the Top Gun challenge even supposed to tell us about the cars? And, for that matter, your very first challenge involves Chris fucking Evans beating Sabine Schmitz on the track? Really? Speaking of, what's Sabine's role on this show anyway? Does anybody at Top Gear even know? Why were they going to Blackpool in the first place? Usually when Top Gear travels somewhere it has a specific reason for doing so. What was the UK vs. USA challenge for? Why was there no competitiveness between the hosts whatsoever if it was supposed to be a versus challenge? Why didn't they mention the concept of putting a "flag" on top of the mountain until the very end of the piece? What even was the point of hauling the Reliants up the hill? Even when old Top Gear did ridiculous and absurd challenges, they presented some reason for doing so, as if it was supposed to demonstrate something or make a point, even if it was a ludicrous one. They didn't even attempt to do that on this show. Just "we went to Blackpool because it's a place to go, I guess, and we did these challenges that don't really matter, mean anything, or tell us anything about the vehicles we're doing them in because reasons."

Your second half sums up how I feel after the Nomad review. I didn't understand why they reused the same tricks as the former Top Gear. I also didn't find any reason for the Reliant Robin and 4x4 segment at all. It just seemed out of place without any justifications to why their doing it. I feel like if Sabine Shmitz can review car she'd be in her element given that she's a race car driver on the ring and all.

dubc35

I finally finished watching the first episode. I purposely have avoided trailers, interviews, etc. I had no idea who Chris Evans was (sans appearances in 'old' Top Gear).

It wasn't bad. It wasn't great but it was actually better than I thought it would be. Matt is good by himself. Chris is ok but I think he will get better as it goes. Sabine was good. I dismissed the jabs at old TG because I expect it will not be a recurring theme. If my expectations are incorrect I won't watch anymore.

One episode down but I think it may have exceeded expectations for me (which were very low).

I am looking forward to The Grand Tour, and will prioritize it over this TG, but hey the more the merrier IMO.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

It really was just crap and everyone knows it. The show did no favors for itself by directly copying some old stunts and challenges for the opening episode, trying to pander to things people liked about the old show. They should have either canned it after Clarkson left, or actually rebooted it with an all new format.

Mascot

It really was just crap and everyone knows it. The show did no favors for itself by directly copying some old stunts and challenges for the opening episode, trying to pander to things people liked about the old show. They should have either canned it after Clarkson left, or actually rebooted it with an all new format.

And Chris Evans did a fantastic job of alienating the vast majority of the viewers, too. Too shouty, too glib, too excitable, too... Chris Evans. There's a reason his novelty wore off at the end of the 1990s.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Just listened to Chris Evans on his radio show pointing out more facts which prove new Top Gear is a hit. That's three days in a row he's kept this fight going. He's giving his critics plenty of ammo to attack with next week if the numbers go down. I can't help but feel like he should have just said on Monday morning, "We're happy with our debut and we're only getting started, give us a chance", and left it at that.

danowat

Banned
They should have either canned it after Clarkson left, or actually rebooted it with an all new format.

I agree, the format is tired, I'd prefer it to return to a proper car show, something like Best Motoring.

Top Gear before the new one was a bit crap, this one is a bit crap, but there is a heck of a lot of hyperbole about it.

Mascot

I agree, the format is tired, I'd prefer it to return to a proper car show, something like Best Motoring.

Top Gear before the new one was a bit crap, this one is a bit crap, but there is a heck of a lot of hyperbole about it.

I think the format is fine (with some minor tweaks) but Chris Evans should realise he's not hosting TFI Friday in front of a bunch of pissed up twentysomethings. He's what, fifty years old now? He shouldn't be whooping, high-fiving and yeah-babying like an excitable teenager. His persona from his Radio 2 show or stints on The One Show would have been more appropriate, I think. And if people think he's likely to tone it down in the face of criticism, haven't all episodes been filmed already? or are the studio bits done weekly?

There's still hope but Jesus, he's annoyed a lot of people already.

Yeah, zero chance, the series is mostly in the can by now. Which means they're actually copying the old format wholesale (which was already getting rather tired), but without the chemistry that made it work regardless.

Nah, it deserves most of the criticism leveled against it. It was pretty awful and that sentiment has been backed up with arguments.

WaterAstro

Every other spinoff Top Gear in America and whatever just copy the format.

It only works with the trio. It just feels fake with everyone else.

Every other spinoff Top Gear in America and whatever just copy the format.

It only works with the trio. It just feels fake with everyone else.

It was never about the formula. The later season became really stale as the format was getting old . It was only the interaction between the trio that made it enjoyable.
Thank god they will try a new format with the grand tour.

Syder

I enjoyed Extra Gear more than Top Gear and that really isn't saying much.

Matt Le Blanc, Chris Evans and Sabine Schmitz should piss off and leave this in the hands of Eddie Jordan, Rory Reid and Chris Harris.

I said I'd give this show a fair crack but I've got to tap out. The attempt to wipe the slate clean whilst clasping onto the format of their predecessors is cringe-worthy.

danowat

Banned
I enjoyed Extra Gear more than Top Gear and that really isn't saying much.

Matt Le Blanc, Chris Evans and Sabine Schmitz should piss off and leave this in the hands of Eddie Jordan, Rory Reid and Chris Harris.

I don't get this either, Chris Harris was wooden and stilted, I don't rate him, Eddie Jordan?!, yeah, NO, and Rory Reid just looked uncomfortable, what with his nervous guffawing at Chris Harris's "jokes".

Granted, Harris wasn't at his best here either, but I'll definitely give him the benefit of the doubt as he's already proven to be quite good at this when he does have free rein as illustrated by the many enjoyable videos he's already done on various youtube channels. I think he just didn't have much to work with here -> Don't like Reid much either. Pair Harris off with someone similarly capable like Needell and he'll no doubt do much better.

Syder

I don't get this either, Chris Harris was wooden and stilted, I don't rate him, Eddie Jordan?!, yeah, NO, and Rory Reid just looked uncomfortable, what with his nervous guffawing at Chris Harris's "jokes".
Top Gear's previous hosts were unknown car journalists at once upon a time too and Eddie Jordan is half-way to James May himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom