• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top Gear New Series |OT| No Longer Starring Chris Evans

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilkyJoe

I agree, the format is tired, I'd prefer it to return to a proper car show, something like Best Motoring.

Top Gear before the new one was a bit crap, this one is a bit crap, but there is a heck of a lot of hyperbole about it.

People love to say hyperbole....

There is nothing hyperbolic about people saying a new cast jumping right in and continuing where the last lot left off, does not work.

Gran Tour or whatever it is going to be called, on Amazon, is the new old Top Gear. We don't need Top Gear and a cover band Top Gear. I was expecting a totally new format. I don't think anyone expected that cringe-fest. That's the reason it is getting so much abuse.

I'm one of the few who is going to be quite happy with new Top Gear carrying on as usual and old Top Gear just doing the "specials". Best of both worlds for me, suck to be you lot :p

danowat

Banned

There is nothing hyperbolic about people saying a new cast jumping right in and continuing where the last lot left off, does not work.

Gran Tour or whatever it is going to be called, on Amazon, is the new old Top Gear. We don't need Top Gear and a cover band Top Gear. I was expecting a totally new format. I don't think anyone expected that cringe-fest. That's the reason it is getting so much abuse.

Yeah, it's a nice word, rolls off the tongue.

Let's just give it a chance shall we, I am old enough to remember the horror show that was Top Gear decades ago.

So let's just give them chance to bed in and create some chemistry, rather than showering fire and brimstone down on them.

Fonds

Exactly... The fact they just re-use the old format, studio and themes makes it all the more obvious that it's just Top Gear but without the chemistry of Hammond Clarkson and May.

It's Reliant Robins... again... But executed poorly.
It was the top gear track... but with a dirt track twist.
It was interviews with celebs... without a single interesting question.

I haven't laughed the entire episode. While it did become less so in later seasons, Top Gear was capable of giving me fits of laughter. This was just cringe worthy B-grade comedy.

What this show needed was a complete turnaround, a full on departure from all seasons before it.
The fact this it's named season 23 instead of season 1 is a testament to the fact that they just don't have the balls to break ties with it's prior success.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
...I am old enough to remember the horror show that was Top Gear decades ago.

So let's just give them chance to bed in and create some chemistry...

Been watching Top Gear since I was a child. My memory goes back as far as Tiff Needell and a young Jeremy Clarkson. Yes, let's give the new team some time, absolutely.

But at the same time people are allowed to criticise bad decisions. Jumping straight in and forcing back and forth banter between two hosts who clearly have no chemistry was an obvious bad call, and it's already been pointed out in this thread that Chris Evans (like him or loathe him) has enough experience that he should have known it wouldn't work. Again, that's not an unfair attack, it just is what it is.

MilkyJoe

Yeah, it's a nice word, rolls off the tongue.

Let's just give it a chance shall we, I am old enough to remember the horror show that was Top Gear decades ago.

So let's just give them chance to bed in and create some chemistry, rather than showering fire and brimstone down on them.

It's not about giving it a chance, it's about they literally tried to be the old gang, Evans especially doing Clarkson-isms throughout the show. No one needed to see that.

Drop the carbon copy show and make a new show. Top Gear is like Dr Who, it returns in different formats. This is just an obvious attempt to keep that lovely money flowing in from overseas broadcasters, I don't think anyone is falling for it.

Maybe I've missed some segment during the show, but isn't the whole joke about Reliant Robin that it just can't turn properly and constantly rolls over? Don't think that ever happened during the challenge.
What was the point of choosing these cars then?

Fonds

Maybe I've missed some segment during the show, but isn't the whole joke about Reliant Robin that it just can't turn properly and constantly rolls over? Don't think that ever happened during the challenge.
What was the point of choosing these cars then?

That is pretty much exactly what is wrong with the show at the moment...

Just... well just because.
Why did they go to blackpool? Why the Reliant Robins?
There was a major lack of a coherent theme throughout the entire episode.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Every other spinoff Top Gear in America and whatever just copy the format.

It only works with the trio. It just feels fake with everyone else.

Nor a huge fan of the show, but Top Gear USA kind of molded itself into its own thing. You want to just see a format knockoff, watch an episode of Top Gear Australia.

Watched half of this last night and yeah, Chris Evans is truly insufferable.

I don't even mind the screaming so much as what its in service of. He seems perpetually and petulantly upset that nobody is as excited about how awesome every element of his new show is.

Why aren't people clapping to see which star had the best first car? How about the best car overall? This is SO FUN! Why isn't there more love for the Stig? Its the fucking STIG people! We've seen the numbers and you love him! DID YOU SEE the new track? Didn't you see the off road parts? Why isn't everybody going batshit over the water splashes? Or these new track times?

You can see it in his face and hear it in his voice - he's wondering "What the hell is wrong with you people? Why aren't you excited?"

Its so by the numbers too. This show is the automotive version of Weekend at Bernies.

AtlantiC_CodeX

Neo Member
Imagine a more unfunny lame michael scott with no self awareness on worldwide tv, that's Chris Evans in a nutshell.

Mat is cool though the script and parts h'es in are rubbish.

the show as a whole was trying to be same old top gear however with no chemistry and a disaster of main presenter and every change they did being the worst thing they could have done ( like the stars driving rally mini in a muddy track and the most boring interview in history probably) you get an hour of boredom that has a obviously big budget wasted on. This show is worst than the top gear us, australia and so on that nobody watches.

probably not gonna waste my time on this in the future.

Syder

If Evans wasn't on it I would watch both as well.
This.

Bookies taking bets on Evans 'being sacked' but this season (only 6 episodes) are pretty much already in the bag. We've got an entire season of Evans and this format to deal with before any revisions that may be made to the format and cast.

So much licenced music...

I didn't hate it.

Matt is at least different but Evans feels like he's doing a bad Clarkson impression. With time, it could find its own identity.

The studio stuff was the worst part and that can be improved. The challenges were inconsistent but there's still hope.
(If Evans changes his style a bit)

Not as bad as I was expecting, but this Chris Evans guy is really unbearable. How come a guy with this voice is on radio? Five minutes into the show and I couldn't stand him anymore.

123rl

I'm probably the biggest fan of old Top Gear that I know, and I enjoyed the new show. Grand Tour will be better, but this is far from a disaster. Give it a chance, guys. Old Top Gear took a few seasons to find its groove. The first few seasons were spectacularly average

So much licenced music...

Yeah that's one of the biggest differences in style for me, lacks that precision Old Top gear had to put the music to set the tone to the segments, this one just seemed like someone set some MP3's of Deep Purple, Jimi Hendrix and just hit "Shuffle", no rhyme or reason

TheZink

I'm probably the biggest fan of old Top Gear that I know, and I enjoyed the new show. Grand Tour will be better, but this is far from a disaster. Give it a chance, guys. Old Top Gear took a few seasons to find its groove. The first few seasons were spectacularly average
I concur 👍🏼

Mascot

Bookies taking bets on Evans 'being sacked' but this season (only 6 episodes) are pretty much already in the bag. We've got an entire season of Evans and this format to deal with before any revisions that may be made to the format and cast.

The outside broadcast stuff is all in the can but the studio segments are filmed a few days before being shown, so it's very possible that the producers could reduce Evans's studio involvement for the remaining four episodes.

We live in hope, anyway.

Rich!

What a load of absolute shite.

I really have nothing more to add. If the BBC replaced Evans with Harris and actually had the balls to offer something new rather than a neutered by-comittee copy of Clarkson top gear they could have had a fantastic show.

But no. It feels more weary, scripted and insultingly safe than anything 2002 onwards. The Grand Tour, by contrast, is pretty much guaranteed to feel fresh and new.

None of the changes made sense. None of the challenges had any point to them. The interview was holy shit bad. And Evans is a cunt.

I mean, Clarkson is a cunt too of the highest degree, but he's fully aware of that, and it's part of his character and the writing always built on that. That's why he was so watchable - he was always in on the joke.

Never gonna happen with Evans.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I quite liked it. It is rough around the edges, and Chris needs to calm down and stop shouting, but it could work.

- I liked Sabine in the top gun item
- star in a car: I like the first car/best car but I don't like the way the guests introduce each other. That is ripped right off Chris' Friday morning radio show and I don't think it works. Also they should at least talk to the guests about what they're on for, but having two guests limits that

I think the biggest problem is only having two main presenters. For the longer challenges, I think you need three people so you can have conversations when one of them is in trouble etc

Hasney

I really didn't liek the first episode at all, but you're right. My next episode will be season 4 episode 1.

Lunar FC

Uhh, it wasn't that terrible I guess. Felt it kind of loses the UK vibe that I enjoyed with Matt LeBlanc as a host, who was poor imo. Really think they should of tried to shake up the formula and wish they had three hosts. Could of been worse.

Pandy

RcJwByM.png

Looking through the thread I feel this was unappreciated. I almost missed it myself.

Lunar FC

Chris Harris, who they inexcusably shuffled off to Extra Gear instead of the main show, and was great despite.
Here's part of his resume: https://youtu.be/ufVQ-UKZbro

Harris, Reid, and LeBlanc would make for a much better main show.

Oh shit. Didn't even know about Extra Gear, will check it out.

Edit: I'm half way through Extra Gear, and uhh this is way better then the main show. But seriously, more fucking celebrity interviews? God, we can't get away from it.

Hasney

Oh shit. Didn't even know about Extra Gear, will check it out.

Edit: I'm half way through Extra Gear, and uhh this is way better then the main show. But seriously, more fucking celebrity interviews? God, we can't get away from it.

It's dumb as shit with more interviews. When Top Gear was originally asked to get in more celebrities with their bigger budget to have an even broader appeal, they didn't bother with any extra interviews. We just got gold like Ross Kemp in a car boot during a "full on" review... Or all those friendly northern people that helped up his Reliant Robin.

The Beard

Chris Evans was absolutely terrible.

LeBlanc was pretty boring and monotone. He seems like a cool guy, but I don't think he's host material.

Sabine is a lot of fun.

Chris Harris was cool.

What they need to do is, swap out Chris Evans with Tiff Needell. Evans is ass.

Hammond, Clarkson, May really made that show special. Without them it's going to be pretty average.

Yeah I agree with those saying, that they shouldn't have copied pretty much all of the original show, it just didn't work without the original hosts and the chemistry between Evans and LeBlanc was absent, don't think they get along at all...but it wasn't a catastrophe either, hope they'll make something good out of the show.

I actually enjoyed the newish dirt track and the Atom part was pretty good too! The interviews, well they weren't always good either before, but inviting that cooking douche didn't help...the actor was cool though. The obligatory Stig joke part was cringy and Evans trying to sell the new dirt track was too...and many other things.

Those shitting on the show: chillax, we still got the real deal to look forward to, so everything is gonna be fine! ;)

Managed to watch it in full and it wasn't that bad. Was impressed with Matt although he does go a bit monotone at times. Chris really needs to dial it back a bit, way over the top trying to send up the show in strange ways. Going to be interesting reading what the worldwide audience thinks of him.

What's really got me is the nerfing of the test track for celebs. I can understand how they'd like to switch things up a bit as everything else they did was done in the old format but there was a bit of competitiveness with the normal test track. I like to see celebs such as Matt himself or others in the past like Steve Coogan or Simon Cowell showing they can drive well. Adding rally and water jump splashes is going to make it more random for the average person. Don't get me wrong, I love rally driving and it's highly skilled.

Mohonky

Haven't seen it, but it sounds like it has the problem many suspected it would; it's the same show, but without Clarkson Hammond and May's personalities. Really, that's what the show was. The cars and everything else were just a backdrop for those guys to basically take the piss. Top Gear hasn't really been about the cars for awhile. Would you take any of their reviews seriously? Highly doubtful. The guys can give very good advice on car buying if they have to even going back to non-exotics and supercars but they don't, they recognise the show is more comedy entertainment than it is anything else.

Top Gear Australia was pretty woeful for much the same reason. Didn't like any of the hosts but it tried to be Top Geak UK and it just felt so.......odd. Probably didn't help that most of the cars we get for testing aren't that exciting, another week, a new Falcon or Commodore variant.

Top Gear USA was interesting, it started out like the UK show and it was pretty shit to be quite honest and at some point they basically just said fuck it, we're just doing challenges and that really seemed to work for them. It didn't have the same quality editing as the UK version, but it brought out the personalities of each host to be more themselves and rather than trying to emulate UK Top Gear, they actually hit a pretty successful mark with their challenge antics.

Be interesting to see if tonight's episode is delivered any differently
I think the studio bits of episode two were recorded before the first one aired - so if there are differences, it'll be mainly driven by internal reactions, rather than the wider audience, which we'll see by episode three I guess. Though the edit of tonight's might have been influenced by the reaction too.

Beefy

Well I shall be passing on todays episode. Eddie Jordan is on it and I can't stand him. Him and Evans will just annoy me too much.

spuckthew

I tried to watch the first episode on iPlayer the other night, but I started scrubbing through after the Viper bit. I probably actually only watched about 20 minutes.

The SIARPC was fine, but I prefer the old format. In fact, one of my main gripes with the episode was that they were trying far too hard to be like Old Top Gear: Evans trying to mimic Clark's quips was just too much. Old Top Gear is scripted, there's no doubt about that, but New Top Gear felt bland and stiff.

Just watched the first episode, and wow. I hated it. Rally cross on the test track...and a second story for the crowd.. and that's it, it's just a carbon copy of previous series. Plus the interview format with eisenberg and Ramsay was so forced and shit. I didn't mind Leblanc, but he definitely phoned it in during parts, but boy was Chris Evans shit. Such a try hard , yet not entertaining in the slightest, and has absolutely no chemistry with Leblanc.

Mascot

Well I shall be passing on todays episode. Eddie Jordan is on it and I can't stand him. Him and Evans will just annoy me too much.
He will undoubtedly try to turn it into The Eddie Jordan Show, just like every other bloody show he's ever guested on.

I just realized it has been 10 years since Hammond's crash, which many thought would be the end of the show. The sheer annoyance of seeing Eddie Jordan has the power to do what a 370mph crash could not and end this show forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom