• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight |OT| The Definitive Loot game of 2009

I've got a problem-

I'm on my second playthrough with an Alchemist on hard. I just got the "Ember Strike" level 25 spell. Whenever I use it, it just targets the very edge of the screen, even if there are enemies closer. Any way to work with this? My Vanquishers rain arrows spell worked fine, it targeted a short distance away and I could hit mobs fine with it.

TL:DR, Can Ember Strike be targeted correctly on Xbox?

It appears I've hit a glitch that prevents me from going any further on the main quest.

Here's what happened:
On floor 29, there's a room with 3 ballistas and two switches to unlock a huge door. Once you unlock the door, the boss comes out of it. I got there, opened the door, and got promptly wasted by the boss (I'm playing on very hard.)

Instead of starting over on the same floor, I decided to just go back to town, so I could start over a few floors up and grind a level or two before trying the boss again. I did this, fought my way back to Floor 29, and the boss wasn't there, but the switches to open the door weren't either! So I can't open the door or fight the boss.

Here's what I've tried to resolve it:
--Used a town portal scroll to go back to town, then back to the room-- nothing happened, still stuck.
--Ran around the whole room and previous room to see if I missed anything-- nothing.
--Restarted the game multiple times by going back to the dashboard, back to the menu screen, and rebooting my 360-- nothing happened.
--Going into Hatch's dungeon (the guy in town with his own quests and a portal right next to him), purposely dying, ressurrecting in town, then going back -- nothing.
--Starting a new character, quitting out, going back to my original character - nothing

Here's what I haven't done, that I'm going to try later:
--Going about 10 floors up or all the way back to the beginning (from floor 1), then going to Floor 29.
--Doing other quests first, like in Hatch's dungeon or one of those portal-making scrolls, then going back.
--????? - gimme some ideas, not sure what else to do

So, if you get to floor 29, just keep resurrecting on the floor until you kill the boss or else you might trigger this. At the very least, don't go back to town!

Stubo

Just bought this as an incentive to get work done more quickly this evening, will be starting up once my essay is done. Anything important/handy for a new player to know about the game? I played Diablo 2 and the expansion in years past, I'm looking forward to what this has to offer me (phat loots!)

Guessing that choosing my class will be the first hurdle to get over.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
XBLA title update was just release. Here's an idea of what was fixed:

hared Stash items missing - This issue will be resolved in the next title update.
Cause: Stash file gets overwritten when creating a new character. Workaround: Load an existing character before making a new one.

Shared Stash only holds 42 items - This issue will be resolved in the next title update.
Cause: Stash size incorrectly set. Workaround: None available.

Avatar t-shirt clipping issue - This issue was resolved in a minor title update, released on March 18, 2011. viewtopic.php?f=33&t=16986

Chakawary HP Bug - This issue will be resolved in the next title update.
Cause: Minor glitch. Workaround: None available.

Recovering a gem causes crash - This issue will be resolved in the next title update.
Cause: Item was in pet inventory when trying to recover. Workaround: Move item to character inventory before attempting to recover.

Summoner alchemist interaction issue - This issue will be resolved in the next title update.

Performance issues - We've added some particle and collision optimizations; hopefully, this will resolve some of the issues you're seeing. This will be addressed in the next title update.

Pet transformations time out in title menu - This issue doesn’t affect gameplay and likely won’t be addressed.
Cause: Timer continues to countdown in title menu. Workaround: None required, as the timer reverts to its previous state upon loading the save.

Chapter segment voiceovers may be intermittently inaudible - This issue is under investigation.

Unable to proceed in the Lost Fortress, Level 27 - This issue will be resolved in the next title update.
Workaround: None available.

Stuck Characters - We anticipated this issue ahead of time, so there’s an easy fix. Just hold both bumpers on your controller as you load your game save and you should be sent to the beginning of the floor.

Merchants show 126 available inv. slots; only hold 50 items - This issue will be resolved in the next title update.
Cause: Incorrectly stated in UI. Workaround: None. Merchants are only supposed to hold 50 items in inventory.

Tattered Lurker glitch - This issue will be resolved in the next title update.

Ranged weapon particles will now fade out - Nobody complained about this, but we fixed it anyway!

Ribbon particles cause a hitch - This issue will be resolved in the next title update.

Avatar awards not unlocking - We're still investigating this issue, but our working hypothesis (founded on two confirmed reports), is that if you're offline when you earn the achievement, you won't get the avatar award. Also, please note that if you meet the qualifications for any achievements while playing the demo, the achievements won't be awarded retroactively after you buy the game. Unfortunately, there isn't much we can do to address this as achievements are tracked outside of our control.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
I'm thinking of revisiting this one, despite my first wave of frustration with it.. and approach it slightly differently (less OCD, haha).

Does anybody know if difficultly achievements stack? Say if I play (and beat) Hard Hardcore, will it unlock the Easy/Normal one (and the Easy and Normal Hardcore achievements) too?

V_Arnold

Hm...I am thinking about starting this again? Already put quite a lot hours into it near its release. Any essential mods to go by? Want something that might give me additional difficulties or new encounters, something.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/07/06/torchlight-purchased-a-million-times-sequel-still-targeting-2/

TORCHLIGHT GOES PLANTINUM

Runic Games' Torchlight Sells Over One Million Units

July 6, 2011 – Seattle, WA - Runic Games, Inc. ("Runic Games"), a specialized developer of PC-based interactive entertainment software in the United States, announced today that their critically-acclaimed dungeon crawler TORCHLIGHT has officially sold over one million units across all platforms (PC, Mac, and Xbox).

The announcement comes after closing a successful 4th of July holiday sale on Steam, which kicked-off a Deal of the Week promotion on Xbox. This sale also coincides with the simultaneous Xbox unlock of a new spell by our wonderful Xbox community.

"We're very excited to share Torchlight's success with our fans and supporters. It's been a great ride so far and we can't wait to give everyone more of what they want in Torchlight II," said President Travis Baldree. "It isn't every day you sell a million games. We're grateful to be here."

Torchlight debuted in October 2009 for PC, and premiered on Xbox on March 9th 2011.

Runic Games is currently developing the PC-based multi-player sequel, Torchlight II, which was nominated for six awards at E3 2011, including Best RPG and Best of E3.

For more information on Torchlight, gamers can visit the official websites for Torchlight, Torchlight XBLA, and Torchlight II to view additional game play details, trailer, and screenshots.

About Runic Games, Inc.

Runic Games is a developer of PC-based interactive entertainment software, designing games that focus on quality, approachability, and fun. Runic Games is staffed by a team with experienced members, including leads on "Diablo," "Diablo II," "Diablo II: Lord of Destruction," "Fate," "Hellgate: London" and "Mythos." Torchlight for PC won the GDC Award for Best Debut in 2009. Runic Games, a subsidiary of Perfect World Co., Ltd. (NASDAQ: PWRD), is located in Seattle, Washington, United States.

Doodis

Just picked this up thanks the the Xbox sale and played a bit this morning before work. Is there any way to actually save your game? Or are you just subject to auto saves when you pass through levels? I couldn't see a save option anywhere.

crpav

Doodis said:
Just picked this up thanks the the Xbox sale and played a bit this morning before work. Is there any way to actually save your game? Or are you just subject to auto saves when you pass through levels? I couldn't see a save option anywhere.

I think you can just exit and pick up where you left off. That's how it does it on the PC anyway.

so I'm back to this after the patch fixed that insane glitch I hit a few months ago^^^^

damn, either I'm out of practice or 30-35 are insane on very hard (which didn't give me any problems up until now.) through the game, I'd often die once on a mob and come back and kick its ass. But now, I hit a mob and if they have a spellcaster of some sort, I usually get fucking one-shotted!! So, i'm grinding and raising defense.

FGMPR

Banned
Kweh said:
Since this is only 800pts on XBLA this week, which version is considered the best?

PC version has mods and mouse/clickclickclick controls along with nicer graphics and a steady frame rate

360 version has a more direct control scheme that many find more satisfying.

It depends on the gamer to be honest. Either way, its a fantastic arpg.

neoism

Smision said:
It appears I've hit a glitch that prevents me from going any further on the main quest.

Here's what happened:
On floor 29, there's a room with 3 ballistas and two switches to unlock a huge door. Once you unlock the door, the boss comes out of it. I got there, opened the door, and got promptly wasted by the boss (I'm playing on very hard.)

Instead of starting over on the same floor, I decided to just go back to town, so I could start over a few floors up and grind a level or two before trying the boss again. I did this, fought my way back to Floor 29, and the boss wasn't there, but the switches to open the door weren't either! So I can't open the door or fight the boss.

Here's what I've tried to resolve it:
--Used a town portal scroll to go back to town, then back to the room-- nothing happened, still stuck.
--Ran around the whole room and previous room to see if I missed anything-- nothing.
--Restarted the game multiple times by going back to the dashboard, back to the menu screen, and rebooting my 360-- nothing happened.
--Going into Hatch's dungeon (the guy in town with his own quests and a portal right next to him), purposely dying, ressurrecting in town, then going back -- nothing.
--Starting a new character, quitting out, going back to my original character - nothing

Here's what I haven't done, that I'm going to try later:
--Going about 10 floors up or all the way back to the beginning (from floor 1), then going to Floor 29.
--Doing other quests first, like in Hatch's dungeon or one of those portal-making scrolls, then going back.
--????? - gimme some ideas, not sure what else to do

So, if you get to floor 29, just keep resurrecting on the floor until you kill the boss or else you might trigger this. At the very least, don't go back to town!
same thing on PC too...I just quit.

neoism

Smision said:
so I'm back to this after the patch fixed that insane glitch I hit a few months ago^^^^

damn, either I'm out of practice or 30-35 are insane on very hard (which didn't give me any problems up until now.) through the game, I'd often die once on a mob and come back and kick its ass. But now, I hit a mob and if they have a spellcaster of some sort, I usually get fucking one-shotted!! So, i'm grinding and raising defense.
ok awesome

Mordeccai

Apologies for the month bump, but how well does this game run on crappy laptops? The processor is an Intel Celeron 2.2ghz w/ 3 gigs of ram and onboard graphics if that gives any sort of baseline.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Eeh... HELP. This game has been a breeze for me so far as an alchemist summoner, but against Ordrak I'm defenseless. I played the entire game by letting my minions/golems get up close while I blast away from a distance, but I can't do that here. Ordrak summons such an insane amount of enemies that sometimes I can't even run away. I have to heal constantly (hard enough as it is, 1 or 2 hits almost kill me). My golems don't do enough damage to deal with him quickly, he has an obscene amount of health. After re-entering the room a number of times, his health resets, so there doesn't seem to be an easy way out.
This seems to be the ideal bossfight for a fighter with insane melee damage, but no so much for my class.

Any help is welcome, I'll probably have to grind it out and switch from dual wands to a staff. It's remarkable that I hadn't even come close to dying until these lvl30 ish floors. My fire resistance is pretty high, maybe I should've put points in ember shield for physical protection...

What's the deal with the XBLA version ? I keep getting insane framerate issues every time I get surrounded by lots of mobs. If those mobs are casting spells then it literally drops to single digit fps. This is with v1.15 and a recent slim 360. Is there anything I can do to fix this, if only marginally ? Like I dunno, clearing the cache, etc...

I do have the game on pc and it does run silky smooth, but I find the control for the 360 to be much more attractive and fun.

So installing the Runic developer's Respec Mod (the one by Tiamat) causes my Torchlight client to hang when I launch it. Only thing I can do is kill it with Task Manager.

Is there any other mod that does this? I wish they had just included this in a patch.

Sorry for the bump, but is there a way in this game, too see in one page, all our culumative bonus (from characters skills to bonus from equipement) ?

When I'm hovering the mouse over my strengh attribute, it gives me my critical chances, but not how much dammage for the critical hit, for exemple

Sysgen

Anyone understand the way melee damage works? With the alt weapon unequipped I have more damage? Dual Wielding and Martial Weapon Expertise are @ 10.

**Seems to be a display bug**

fresquito

Okay, so I pre-ordered TL2 and got this. I've started playing, I choose hard dificulty, although I'm not really used to ARPGs (I just hear people complained this was too easy). It turns out it's still too easy. Any way to change dificulty on the fly?

This game is so awesome. Just started playing.

Problem though, I can't get the number pad to work, even with cycling numlock. Any suggestions?

It's hard to keep track of all my spells with 1-9 in a line.

edgefusion

I don't usually play these types of games but I'm totally loving Torchlight, think I'm catching the bug! Looking forward to Torchlight 2 and eyeing Diablo 3. One question though; I'm click click clicking on dudes to attack but sometimes I mis-click and end up walking all over the place while I try to attack. I'm playing a mage guy so really I want to be staying at a distance while my pet tanks but its so easy to click the ground by accident and end walking over to the enemy.

Is there a key toggle to fix my character in position while I click to attack or something?

Volimar

I don't usually play these types of games but I'm totally loving Torchlight, think I'm catching the bug! Looking forward to Torchlight 2 and eyeing Diablo 3. One question though; I'm click click clicking on dudes to attack but sometimes I mis-click and end up walking all over the place while I try to attack. I'm playing a mage guy so really I want to be staying at a distance while my pet tanks but its so easy to click the ground by accident and end walking over to the enemy.

Is there a key toggle to fix my character in position while I click to attack or something?

If you're using a wand or other ranged attack, holding shift and clicking will make you stand still and attack, even if you missclick

fresquito

Sorry for the bump, but. Are HPs bound to level? Will this be the same in T2?

I'm playing the warrior on very hard and, even when I can block 40% attacks, once I get hit, almost all my life goes away. This is specially troublesome as magic ignores the block chances entirely.

Just finished this on hard with a Vanquisher. I realize now I probably should have done very hard.. this game seems somewhat easy.

So, so good though. However, a few things kind of annoyed me:

- bosses dropping shit loot sometimes
- having to identify items (waste of time)
- the whole gem thing I wasn't super pleased with. pain in the ass imo.

I did apply some mods which helped. In general, the game was amazing.

Can't wait for TL2.

Thread revival !

Im currently playing the game again, this time hoping to actually finish it. I was wondering if there was some point of no return thing, where I miss the ability to go back and do side quests and things like that ? 1 of the reasons I think I quit through the game last time was because the side quests were grinding me down a bit, so this time im just going through without these, but would like the option to go back and do them. Is that possible with this ?

FINALLY. I have completed the game. That was one long slog through to the end, that tough mother fucker, I must have spent about 15 minutes slashing him, but I got there (without dying woo). Finally completed the damn game ! Good ass shit, now Torchlight 2 methinks ......

Top Bottom