• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight |OT| The Definitive Loot game of 2009

16kao1j.png

FAQs

Official website: http://www.torchlightgame.com

Compiled list of mods: http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6610

What is Torchlight? - Torchlight is an isometric Action RPG in the vein of Diablo, Titan Quest, Fate, etc. You have your character, some dungeons, and a lot of loot. The gameplay consists of whacking things over the head and pick up new toys.

Story

Word of Ember blazed across the land, and the town of Torchlight flared to life.

Ember is the essence of magic and the keystone of alchemy; it lures the restless with promises of power and riches. Miners burrowed deep beneath the dirt streets of Torchlight, discovering veins of the ore richer than any found in living memory- but they were not the first to covet these mines. The miners broke through into the buried past, a dangerous labyrinth of caverns and ruined civilizations, twisted creatures and the bones of those who came before. Evil bubbles up from the depths and threatens to overrun this town as it has so many others. The heart of a villain has infused the Ember, and his darkness seeps through the veins. To survive, the townspeople must break the cycle of destruction; they need a champion who can destroy the evil at its root. Removing the source of the rot may purify the Ember, but it is a long and perilous journey. The champion must battle through rock and fire, through lost cities and ancient tombs, into the palace of the villain himself.

The adventure is set in the mining settlement of Torchlight, a boomtown founded on the discovery of rich veins of Ember – a rare and mysterious ore with the power to enchant or corrupt all that it contacts. This corruptive power may have dire consequences however, and players set out into the nearby mountains and depths below to discover the full extent of Ember’s influence on the civilizations that have come before.

When does it come out? - October 27.

How much will it cost and where can I buy it - 20$ through Steam or the Torchlight official website

I heard there was a level editor? - Correct! The game will launch with mod tools with which you can alter pretty much every aspect of the game from adding geometry to adding classes to creating a completely new game...so long as it's an action RPG. There's also no multi-player, but unless you have a chemical imbalance you won't mind.

No Multiplayer WTF? Who will I show my loot too? MY LOOT. - If there's a will, there's a way. I'm sure you'll figure out a way to showcase all your luts via printscreen or what have you. The addition of multiplayer would require a lot of time and resources that a startup developer may or may not have. Also, the publisher signed on for an MMO and just so decided to publish the singleplayer game as well. IIRC, Runic has pretty much wanted to make an MMO from the jump, but after having a game taken from underneath them so close to release, they wanted to at least release *something*. (And MMOs are expensive)

Meet the Classes

The Destroyer

2q1rnd5.jpg

An endless wanderer, who is drawn to conflict with his dual-welding blades, was led to Torchlight after hearing of the evils befallen it. Through channeling the power of his ancestors, the Destroyer excels at close-quarter combat and is able to smite his foes with such ferocity as to easily dispatch multiple enemies at once. With a strong sense of virtue, the Destroyer sets out to deal justice with his blades, but things may not be as simple in Torchlight as they appear.

With a darkness rising to cloud the Destroyer’s judgment, only time will tell whether or not the draw of Ember will tempt his soul into corruption.

The Alchemist

zy90ns.jpg

Drawn to the power of Ember as a cornerstone of his magical art, the Alchemist came to Torchlight for his own ends. Being the largest cache of Ember ever found, the temptation may lead the Alchemist never being able to break free of its influence and ultimately to his downfall. The power of Ember is beyond imagining, but the price is very high.

By channeling the power of Ember, the Alchemist is able to dispatch enemies from afar as well as summon minions to his aid.

The Vanquisher

2nqxieo.jpg

Part of an ancient order dedicated to justice and bringing balance to the world, the Vanquisher was sent out to Torchlight to investigate the mysterious slayings and missing town folks. Unknown to her, the darkness below the small town of Torchlight runs far deeper than the mines beneath. As an expert marksman, the Vanquisher is able to take enemies from afar as well as use traps to confuse and deliberate her foes from all directions. The flow of Ember and the darkness below will test the Vanquisher’s skill and conviction to the fullest.

Screenshots

boomcrackalacka.png

E3-crypt-depth.jpg

08272009-vanquisher-01.png

alch_hvy_plate.png

122ltf8.jpg

4jrhty.jpg

fdt7jn.jpg

rv9jxi.jpg

Video

Destroyer Trailer
Vanquisher Trailer
Alchemist Trailer
PAX 2009 Trailer
Gamespot "On the Spot" starts at 8:00
Preditor (modding tool) tutorial part 1
Preditor tutorial part 2
Preditor tutorial part 3

Bonus FAQ

Is there anything interesting about the game that sets it apart from Diablo? - One interesting thing is that the game features pets. When you create a character you pick a wolf or a lynx (dog or cat). Your pet has an inventory of its own, fights with you, and can actually cast spells (One example was your pet summoning life draining zombies of its own). Related to that, there are spots in the game where there is a pool of water and you can fish. Fish you pick up can actually transform your pet into various monsters for various periods of time (up to permanent transformations) and they gain the abilities and special attributes said monster would have.

Did you really troll 2 games at the same time in the OP? - It's so easy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

MODS...Give me them!

Here is a compiled list of mods, go nuts.

Somnia

Already pre-bought on steam :D

Game is going to be amazing. Will be doing my first run through with the Alchemist I think.

MightyKAC

I dug Fate and missed out on Mythos, so I'd REALLY love to give this one a try.

But unfortunately I'm screwed because Steam hates me :'(

Artadius

Game looks great. I loved Mythos / Fate / and obviously the Diablos (plus all other lootwhore games) so I'm pretty much guaranteed to love this.

Will probably pick it up once I wind down a bit on Borderlands. Not too concerned about getting it early though since there's no multiplayer. What a shame about that too.

Pikachao said:
I know it's from the makers of Diablo but really...

http://www.digitalbattle.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/diablo3.jpg

Look similar? ._.

No, not at all. If they did, there would have been 10x the irate feedback than there already was...and I might have actually agreed with them in that case. Don't get me wrong, Torchlight looks good... but in a different way. It does look like the spiritual successor to Fate and Mythos though (for good reason).

MightyKAC

Artadius said:
Game looks great. I loved Mythos / Fate / and obviously the Diablos (plus all other lootwhore games) so I'm pretty much guaranteed to love this.

Will probably pick it up once I wind down a bit on Borderlands. Not too concerned about getting it early though since there's no multiplayer. What a shame about that too.

Yea! Does anyone know WTF is up with that? It would have made this game damn near perfect.

Artadius

Yeah, I love how Teknopathetic conveniently leaves out that little tidbit just so he can get his jabs in at Forza 3 and (I guess) Borderlands. Everyone knows that multiplayer is the strength behind these games. Fate is BY FAR the weakest of all the lootwhore games. Want to know why? No multiplayer.

Somnia said:
They are making a Free 2 Play MMO set in the Torchlight universe next year (kinda like Mythos)

Have this pre ordered on steam,I basically i think torchlight is the way to get funding before the mmo comes out, which is fine. For the price of a pizza I will get more out of this game. It has a full blown editor also. I hope it does well, hopefully they wont get flagshipped again.

Ill be picking this up probably. Love the artstyle and it looks like tons of fun.

A bit of a bummer that its single player only but its $20 who the eff cares?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Yeah, prepurchased on steam. No co-op is a bit of a shame for this game, but I enjoyed Mythos well enough so I'm fine with supporting them.

Acosta

I'm sooo going to get it. No Co-Op is not a problem to me, I never played Diablo in multi and had little interest in doing it. An excellent solo hack'n slash is what I want.

I'd love to be able to play this on PSN or XBLA, multiplayer be damned. Once again, I'm reminded of how it much sucks not to own a gaming PC. Or have Bootcamp running XP...

FoxSpirit

Okay, looks interesting and I wanted some phat loot anyway. And just $20? Sold.

*sidenote: would devs for low power systems please consider there are people with a bit more oomph and at least offer the option for improved lighting?

It's a bit irksome that more often than no spells and luminous skills (eg flame blades) don't shine any light on the surroundings.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Reluctant-Hero said:
I'd love to be able to play this on PSN or XBLA, multiplayer be damned. Once again, I'm reminded of how it much sucks not to own a gaming PC. Or have Bootcamp running XP...

Torchlight will run on nearly anything, netbooks included, afaik. So you don't need a proper gaming pc for it.

Philthy

bengraven said:
It's coming out THIS year?!

It's coming out in less than 10 days.

I love in the videos how they're comparing this to Diablo 3 with one of the devs. "Well, Diablo 3 wont be out this year, so thats how we're a bit different."

EviLore said:
Torchlight will run on nearly anything, netbooks included, afaik. So you don't need a proper gaming pc for it.

From what I remember it is being ported to OSX. I dont know when that will be released if it is.

Artadius

Metalic Sand said:
Im hoping for a demo. But i dont expect one at all.

I actually think they'll have a trial version the same day as release. It'll just only let you play to a certain point before stopping and wanting you to purchase/activate. Not 100% positive on this though.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
For some reason I thought this was $30. $20 is a pretty big difference, I'm definitely much more likely to buy it for that.

Philthy

Artadius said:
I actually think they'll have a trial version the same day as release. It'll just only let you play to a certain point before stopping and wanting you to purchase/activate. Not 100% positive on this though.

I think they were saying it'll be a demo that you punch in an unlock code to instantly upgrade it to the full game. Which is basically what you just said.

Don't forget that the score is composed by Matt Uelman, the excellent fellow responsible for the music in Diablo and Diablo II. He has indicated this to be his most guitar-driven work since the original Diablo. I'm pretty goddamn excited.

mrwilt

Pre-purchased on Steam for $17. Game looks awesome, and I can't wait to start adding my own models in the game. The editor looks easy to use.

Philthy said:
It's coming out in less than 10 days.

I love in the videos how they're comparing this to Diablo 3 with one of the devs. "Well, Diablo 3 wont be out this year, so thats how we're a bit different."

From what I remember it is being ported to OSX. I dont know when that will be released if it is.
Yes, I really hope it's ported to OSX!

And I realize a "Gaming PC" isn't needed, I should have wriiten that my "lack of any form of Windows" sucks. I've been to cheap to shell out for the full OS and I'm not keen on pirating.

bengraven

Chris Remo said:
Don't forget that the score is composed by Matt Uelman, the excellent fellow responsible for the music in Diablo and Diablo II. He has indicated this to be his most guitar-driven work since the original Diablo. I'm pretty goddamn excited.

I'm drained at this point.

Jesus Christ, buying. I loved Diablo 1 and 2 and Mythos was the most fun I've had in a beta for a very long time (yes, even including WoW).

I will miss the cigar chomping, trench coat wearing, rifle carrying gremlin.

"Yeah, I love how Teknopathetic conveniently leaves out that little tidbit just so he can get his jabs in at Forza 3 and (I guess) Borderlands. Everyone knows that multiplayer is the strength behind these games. Fate is BY FAR the weakest of all the lootwhore games. Want to know why? No multiplayer."

The weakest by far would be Titan Quest because it's god damned boring. Fate was quite fine (better than everything besides Diablo, pretty much). No co-op is a slight downer, but unless you need to show off your +10 sword to some random bnet tard, not a huge issue. The strength behind these games is well balanced, well itemized and enticing loot drops as well as creating interesting character builds through your playthrough so you can see just how cool of a way you can make a character fuck shit up en masse.

Also: QQ.

vesp

never saw appeal in loot games that didnt either let you then kill other players with said awesome loot or at the bare minimum show it off in coop play/hubs.

the forthcoming mmoish one sounds like it might be worth a look though.

Artadius

Teknopathetic said:
"Yeah, I love how Teknopathetic conveniently leaves out that little tidbit just so he can get his jabs in at Forza 3 and (I guess) Borderlands. Everyone knows that multiplayer is the strength behind these games. Fate is BY FAR the weakest of all the lootwhore games. Want to know why? No multiplayer."

The weakest by far would be Titan Quest because it's god damned boring. Fate was quite fine (better than everything besides Diablo, pretty much). No co-op is a slight downer, but unless you need to show off your +10 sword to some random bnet tard, not a huge issue. The strength behind these games is well balanced, well itemized and enticing loot drops as well as creating interesting character builds through your playthrough so you can see just how cool of a way you can make a character fuck shit up en masse.

Also: QQ.

You, sir, QQ'd first in your thread title :)

To be frank though, you really should point out there is no multiplayer in the OP. I'd gather almost every single person coming to this topic uniformed will assume its there only to be disappointed.

Edit: Here, I'll even do it for you, add this as the last line of your OP.

Awesome! How's the co-op and/or PvP? Sorry, there is none. It is single player only. Good thing it doesn't NEED it to still be an excellent loot-driven dungeon romp.

"You, sir, QQ'd first in your thread title :)"

That's...quite a stretch.

"To be frank though, you really should point out there is no multiplayer in the OP. I'd gather almost every single person coming to this topic uniformed will assume its there only to be disappointed."

Fair enough.

"Yes, I really hope it's ported to OSX!"

Runic's said a Mac port is coming.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Looking forward to this. But... wasn't there mention of a retail release at some point?

Mejilan said:
Looking forward to this. But... wasn't there mention of a retail release at some point?

January.

Pre-ordered on Steam this weekend---shall be glorious alongside Borderlands. Also going to be keenly eyeing, and active, within the glory of the PrEditor! (should include the 3 vids in OP perhaps as the first one sparked my attention in a big way)

Also, IIRC, there are some shader dealies/effect stuff that got added in recently so people with beefier rigs shall get some greater visual oomph.

According to legends on the board, it would be very tricky, super tricky for the modders to wrangle some kinda multiplayer support, but not outright impossible. So who knows what crazy things will happen if any of the C# monsters out there take enough of a fancy to the game and have time on their hands...

Also, IIRC, Perfect World got them up and running in the first place to do the MMO and it was Runic that managed to wrangle for there to be a single player adventure to serve as a forerunner as the MMO is still about 18 months out.

butts

Chris Remo said:

OH SHIT

This was already a must buy for me, this just makes it that much sweeter. D1 and 2 have the best game music ever IMO

epmode

Mejilan said:
I haven't bought a retail PC game since.... Well, since Mirror's Edge because of the shitty DLC situation. BUT OTHER THAN THAT, IT MUST HAVE BEEN YEARS NOW.

I'm thinking about grabbing this. $18 is a nice price and I like the WoWish art.

EviLore said:
Netbooks, eh?
torchlightgame.com said:
Q: What are the minimum system requirements?

A: The PC version will require Windows 2000 or later, x86-compatible 800MHz processor, 512MB of RAM, 400MB Hard Drive space, DirectX-compatible 3D graphics with at least 64MB of addressable memory (such as an ATI Radeon 7200, NVIDIA GeForce 2, or Intel GMA 950).

The requirements are so low, we are even able to play Torchlight on the netbooks around the office!

I'll definitely check out the demo.

Zzoram

Any idea how long the single player will be, and how many difficulty levels it will have for NG+? Will any major sites be reviewing this game before it comes out?

"Any idea how long the single player will be, and how many difficulty levels it will have for NG+? Will any major sites be reviewing this game before it comes out?"

They're estimating it will be around 12-20. There is however an "infinite" random dungeon that unlocks when you beat the game that goes on pretty much forever. When you beat the game once, the random dungeon is unlocked for all characters you create afterwards, if I understand correctly. There are 4 difficulty levels, including a hardcore mode, but I don't believe they unlock like new game+. I'm not really sure if they do or not, though.

Zzoram

Teknopathetic said:
"Any idea how long the single player will be, and how many difficulty levels it will have for NG+? Will any major sites be reviewing this game before it comes out?"

They're estimating it will be around 12-20. There is however an "infinite" random dungeon that unlocks when you beat the game that goes on pretty forever. When you beat the game once, the random dungeon is unlocked for all characters you create afterwards, if I understand correctly. There are 4 difficulty levels, including a hardcore mode, but I don't believe they unlock like new game+. I'm not really sure if they do or not, though.

If it works on the Diablo system that's fine. Each character starts on a normal difficulty, and once they beat the game they can replay normal or a new unlocked difficulty that's harder.

Top Bottom