• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight |OT| The Definitive Loot game of 2009

Chris Remo said:
Don't forget that the score is composed by Matt Uelman, the excellent fellow responsible for the music in Diablo and Diablo II. He has indicated this to be his most guitar-driven work since the original Diablo. I'm pretty goddamn excited.

Well then, this just fucking cemented it. I hope I can still save the $3 by getting it on Steam today.

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
I played Fate through twice, and I was very early in the Mythos beta and played it literally every day until they closed it down. I'm so excited for Torchlight, I can't stand it....

Twig

Banned
Oh I only just learned that this game has no co-op.

):

I was all pumped for it too. But 99% of the fun in games like this for me is playing with other people. Oh well. I'm poor right now anyway so it's not like I could afford it.

TheOneGuy said:
Oh I only just learned that this game has no co-op.

):

I was all pumped for it too. But 99% of the fun in games like this for me is playing with other people. Oh well. I'm poor right now anyway so it's not like I could afford it.

No multiplayer/coop is a crime really, it's what makes these games so good.

Still this is a must buy, Fate and Mythos was good enough and the wait for Diablo is a long one.

Read on the page that they have a MMO game upcoming in the Torchlight Universe but they wanted to get the single player out first. Sounds logical when you're a small team + to cut costs.

jakershaker said:
Still this is a must buy, Fate and Mythos was good enough and the wait for Diablo is a long one.
Lots of people praising Mythos, but I found it a bit dull.

You always had to use the same skill over and over again (like the Gadgeteer's Piercing Barrage skill) to be effective, and most of your skill points were spent on upgrading that one single attack skill.

The WoW type questing got annoying too for a Diablo-type game. (my opinion anyway)

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
OP had me entirely confused, and excited about the game. Currently says

There's also no single-player, but unless you have a chemical imbalance you won't mind.

Which, if true, would be accurate. Who in their right mind would care if a Diablo clone didn't have single player? Nobody plays Diablo for single player. Of course, it's completely false. There is no multiplayer, and you would need some sort of chemical imbalance to be excited about the game given that.

Come on, now. Even if it read correctly that there's no multiplayer, that's the kind of information that should be in the title, not buried in the summary. It's the most important thing to know about this game. If you are preordering it expecting a Diablo 2 experience, you aren't getting it. I may very well end up getting the game myself, it does look really good (and if it had multiplayer, would be an instant buy), but you can't pretend that it isn't lacking a huge draw for these genre.

Twig

Banned
Oops I didn't mean to start a big anti-Torchlight-no-multiplayer tirade. D:

It looks like a quality game! *cough*

Red

Was interested til I saw no multiplayer. I like the visual style, but don't think I could motivate myself to finish it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Archaix said:
OP had me entirely confused, and excited about the game. Currently says

Which, if true, would be accurate. Who in their right mind would care if a Diablo clone didn't have single player? Nobody plays Diablo for single player. Of course, it's completely false. There is no multiplayer, and you would need some sort of chemical imbalance to be excited about the game given that.

Come on, now. Even if it read correctly that there's no multiplayer, that's the kind of information that should be in the title, not buried in the summary. It's the most important thing to know about this game. If you are preordering it expecting a Diablo 2 experience, you aren't getting it. I may very well end up getting the game myself, it does look really good (and if it had multiplayer, would be an instant buy), but you can't pretend that it isn't lacking a huge draw for these genre.

Speak for your damn self. I thoroughly enjoy the single player portions of Diablo and Diablo clones and always play through them first. I know a ton of other people who are the same way. I like multiplayer a whole lot as well, but single player is absolutely necessary in my book.

desverger

I'm there. Pre-bought through steam.

I got Borderlands and Aion for my MP fix, so I don't really mind this having only SP. My fiends probably wouldn't find the time to play 3 multi games at once, not to mention myself :p

Bring on the Vanquisher!

Fjolle

Wow. First time i've pre-bought a game since.. Diablo II or Starcraft :lol

This made me tip though. I love when developers are in contact with the community :)

Alex

Uelman's World of Warcraft cracks were aural nyquil. So much worse than the Brower stuff. But his classic Diablo works were really good. It's an akward difference in quality, I hope newer stuff leans towards the better.

And yes, I too played a ton of Diablo 2 on single player. It shined most brightly with a good friend, but it's still a DAMN fine game in single player.

Barring a couple of titles though, I'm so out of the PC loop it's not even funny, five years displaced. This looks great and it's time to start fixing that though, so pre-ordered.

IIRC, the understanding was that Perfect World had ALREADY been behind funding of the MMO in the first place, with Runic successfully lobbying for the single player game as something of a gateway into the world/good idea instead of their first game not coming out for another year or 2 out of nowhere into the cold internet. I think there has been some bits mentioned here and there that depending on how the sales of the single player Torchlight goes it can result in the obvious usual trappings like expansion packs and such.

chicken_ramen said:
I've had this preordered since it went up for preorder on steam.

5 days to go.
3 days 11 hours 32 minutes!

Doytch said:
Remo put up an interview with project director Travis Baldree and CEO Max Schaefer on Gamasutra.
No incendiary quotes that I'll pull, but good nonetheless and I swear it's the first I heard about an actual free "MMO upgrade" when you buy Torchlight. I knew they were financing the MMO development with proceeds from this, but this sounds like it's gonna act as the base game for it, also? Would have liked more talk about the middle-ground PC landscape, though.
ah sweet. loving the amount of interviews for this

Zzoram

I was actually interested in buying this on Steam until Borderlands made it's way into my life. My loot whoring void has been filled for a couple of months longer.

Maybe I'll pick it up next summer during a Steam weekend sale.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
This live stream convinced me to buy this within 2 minutes of opening it. So good. Awesome chat room going too.

Alex

GREAT music, why didn't his WoW music sound like this. WoW's music sounds like shit unless it was one of the (rarer) Russel Brower pieces.

Somnia

I only watched a few minutes of the stream as not to spoil myself, but good god the music was fantastic. The gameplay looks as good as I had hoped for too. HYPE +100 jesus next week and the week after are going to be insane for me.

The music is awesome!

Too bad this is not my kind of game. I would have bought it for multiplayer but I cannot force myself to play such a game in singleplayer :(

Alex

The people in that stream are such douchebags, but they always are! Thank god for the pop out option.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Defcon said:
Well, he finally died on hardcore mode. Made it to like the 8th floor.

Yeah, it was such an amazing area too. We finally started seeing real demons and stuff and he lasted all of 5 seconds against them. :(

bengraven

Fuck, just when I logged in, he's gone. Oh well, this isn't as interesting without player commentary (god, I'm pathetic, this is one of my favorite new things ever: watching someone play live videogames...and I was one of the people who dissented against the National Gaming League because I said gamers were boring to watch).

Defcon

Banned
bengraven said:
Fuck, just when I logged in, he's gone. Oh well, this isn't as interesting without player commentary (god, I'm pathetic, this is one of my favorite new things ever: watching someone play live videogames...and I was one of the people who dissented against the National Gaming League because I said gamers were boring to watch).

He's still playing but the channel is full. I just got booted and can't get back on.

bengraven

Defcon said:
He's still playing but the channel is full. I just got booted and can't get back on.

I tried the mirror and no one was playing though. Someone stated on the right chat log that he was done for the time being and may come back.

Oh well, I'm back to watching Evil Gamer play Borderlands. :D

senahorse

Been watching some of the stream, game looks great, and the music is spectacular. So hyped for this game, at $18 anyone that likes Diablo/Titan Quest type games really should support these guys. :D

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
On the main site, they claim they're working on a Snow Leopard version. Any word on when that's going to hit? I'm so all over this game when that version releases.

Top Bottom