• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight |OT| The Definitive Loot game of 2009

Almak

So is Torchlight the only hub town and underneath it a series of continuous dungeons a'la Diablo 1? Or do you eventually progress to other hubs like in Diablo 2, Titans Quest? The title strongly indicates the former, but I just wanted to be sure.

Almak said:
So is Torchlight the only hub town and underneath it a series of continuous dungeons a'la Diablo 1? Or do you eventually progress to other hubs like in Diablo 2, Titans Quest? The title strongly indicates the former, but I just wanted to be sure.
1 town and a mine.
Like D1.

Defcon

Banned
A few of the people with the press release have finished the game this morning. One guy beat it in 6 hours on normal softcore an another at 12 hours playing on hard difficulty. Apparently the final boss fight is quite epic.

Seems pretty reasonable considering it's all just a precursor to the infinite dungeon anyways.

B-Dex

I must be blind but I can't find the buy button on their official website :S
Guess I'll have to buy it on Steam.

Defcon

Banned
B-Dex said:
I must be blind but I can't find the buy button on their official website :S
Guess I'll have to buy it on Steam.

They won't have it up until Tuesday. Basically you'll be able to download the entire game to demo for a limited time before needing to activate the rest of it.

ACE 1991

Is there anywhere I can listen to the music of this game, seeing as you all seem so enamored by it? youtube yielded nothing, as expected.

I'm playing on hard mode right now (not hardcore though), it's awesome. The difficulty curve seems extremely good, and it absolutely nails the loot and leveling.

Also, the soundscape is excellent overall. Obviously Matt Uelman's score is fantastic, but I turned off the music just as an experiment, and the sound design completely stands up on its own, and playing that way gives the game a whole different feel. I'll probably be playing this game enough that I'll have time to do plenty of both.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Just started playing through the original Diablo again for shits n giggles while I wait for tuesday. Still quite fun and the atmosphere kicks d2 square in the crotch. Just killed the Butcher! Take that childhood nightmares!

ACE 1991

Chris Remo said:
I'm playing on hard mode right now (not hardcore though), it's awesome. The difficulty curve seems extremely good, and it absolutely nails the loot and leveling.

Also, the soundscape is excellent overall. Obviously Matt Uelman's score is fantastic, but I turned off the music just as an experiment, and the sound design completely stands up on its own, and playing that way gives the game a whole different feel. I'll probably be playing this game enough that I'll have time to do plenty of both.

Good to hear you like the game so far. I can't wait to hear your detailed impressions next week.

Doytch

Just read the review - really surprised at the pet info. I thought it was gonna be like Fate, but they actually have quite a bit more depth. I was planning on playing a Destroyer to not have to worry about having to kite but it sounds like I could let a summon tank and play Vanquisher that way. Hmmm...

So awesome on the pets. I sugested awhile back on the dev board to extend some manner of the retirement system to a pet as well since that is both logical and awesome...I still SO hope they elected to.

Barrett2

Think I will definitely pick this up. I have a new netbook and have been looking to dip my toes into PC gaming. For only $20, this looks pretty sweet.

schild

Done for the night all. You can watch all 8 hours or whatever I recorded "On Demand" at livestream.com/meat

Thanks for tuning in or whatever.

Everything sounds perfect with this game. I love the original Diablo far more than the sequels (due to music, atmosphere, design). Specifically I enjoy just having Tristram and the dungeon, no more. This game sounds really perfect in many ways, to be quite frank.

My only disagreement is the visual style. I hate the new look of many games, this 3d of sorts.

That said, I can't wait to play this game. I want it now.

Dreavus

God damnit, I might end up pre-ordering this as well, even though Borderlands releases the day before. :lol Looks so damn awesome. Between that and classes where the hell am I going to get the time to play these games? Not enough hours in the day, let me tell you...

EDIT: The deed is done. This week is going to be awesome.

Frawdder

2 days 7 minutes too long.

I never played Diablo but did get to play Mythos and really enjoyed that. Really looking forward to this game.

DirtRiver

God I want to play this game so much... Should have asked the guys for the review copy so I could play later but now its too late, only 2 days left :D

I hope the game turns out a sucess and from what I have been seeing, people are pretty excited for it :)

5am and I finally brought myself to turn this goddamn thing off and go to sleep. Christ. After I finish this playthrough I think I'm going to start over with a Very Hard, Hardcore character. One cool thing is that you have an additional stash in town that's shared amongst all your characters, so you can outfit your newer characters with the stuff your older ones find.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Chris Remo said:
5am and I finally brought myself to turn this goddamn thing off and go to sleep. Christ. After I finish this playthrough I think I'm going to start over with a Very Hard, Hardcore character. One cool thing is that you have an additional stash in town that's shared amongst all your characters, so you can outfit your newer characters with the stuff your older ones find.

:mad:

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Rentahamster said:
Really? Shared stash is something I remember wishing I had in Diablo II. Would have saved the trouble of muling all the time.

I'm just angry facing at him because he's playing it right now and I'm not :/

Joined the train on this one. At that price it was hard to resist a loot game.

Now I have a few days until release to decide the class to play. Leaning toward The Alchemist right now. Sounds like the most interesting class.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'll probably do my first playthrough as a human noble... They all look interesting, though.

mrgone

markot said:
How much customisation of your character is there? Looks wise?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there's any character customization at the time you create it (it's like Diablo in that respect, too). The loot changes your appearance quite a bit though, so your character's look changes as you play and find better stuff.

Zefah said:
I'll probably do my first playthrough as a human noble... They all look interesting, though.
I'm looking forward to Dragon Age too :)

schild

mrgone said:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there's any character customization at the time you create it (it's like Diablo in that respect, too). The loot changes your appearance quite a bit though, so your character's look changes as you play and find better stuff.

None. Some stuff can change your characters hairstyle though. The look you get from items can be pretty awesome.

Edit: And on that note - streaming my Very Hard character again.

http://www.livestream.com/meat

Caved in and bought it.
I wanted to keep myself off new ARPGs until D3, but 2011...

Good price anyway, and I'm sure some people will make some fresh stuff out of the editor.

Top Bottom