• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight |OT| The Definitive Loot game of 2009

Zzoram

I'm not sure if I should pre-order this now or wait for Boxing week, because I'll be playing Demon's Souls by the time this game comes out and I don't want to split my attention.

Zzoram said:
If it works on the Diablo system that's fine. Each character starts on a normal difficulty, and once they beat the game they can replay normal or a new unlocked difficulty that's harder.

I THINK it was said that all 4 difficulties are unlocked from the beginning, you pick whatever, and there is where you and your descendants shall roam and loot with fervor. Unless that's changed at some point...any number of things have been revised just since this time last month I think. :lol

"If it works on the Diablo system that's fine. Each character starts on a normal difficulty, and once they beat the game they can replay normal or a new unlocked difficulty that's harder."

Well, if it works like fate, you can pretty much select any difficulty from the start without having to unlock them first.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
ElectricThunder said:

Thank you. I thought I had read something to that effect.
Considering the fuckton of games coming out this holiday season, I think I'll wait.

Volodja

Oh my, didn't know this was coming soo soon.
Prepurchased. Now I only have to find time to play it when it comes out.

bengraven

Teknopathetic said:
"Yeah, I love how Teknopathetic conveniently leaves out that little tidbit just so he can get his jabs in at Forza 3 and (I guess) Borderlands. Everyone knows that multiplayer is the strength behind these games. Fate is BY FAR the weakest of all the lootwhore games. Want to know why? No multiplayer."

The weakest by far would be Titan Quest because it's god damned boring. Fate was quite fine (better than everything besides Diablo, pretty much). No co-op is a slight downer, but unless you need to show off your +10 sword to some random bnet tard, not a huge issue. The strength behind these games is well balanced, well itemized and enticing loot drops as well as creating interesting character builds through your playthrough so you can see just how cool of a way you can make a character fuck shit up en masse.

Also: QQ.

I'm glad I'm not the only one bored by TQ. I mean, it's a fun game to some extent, but I'm really getting bored of the part I'm in and it's near the beginning. I'm at the Spartan Camp and everything is long, tan grass.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I have it pre-ordered on Steam, but I kind of feel like I should have bought it directly from their website (depending on the DRM they use of course). It looks like a lot of fun and considering these guys' track record I have no doubt they can make a satisfying game in this genre.

It does suck that there is no multiplayer and I can't really say I am excited about an MMORPG set in this universe, but then again we really don't have any details about there next title so it is too early to tell. I usually play the single player portion of these games extensively before taking part in multiplayer and considering the budget price I am sure I will get my money's worth.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I have it preordered.

I'm sure they will throw in some simple multiplayer at some point.......

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
bengraven said:
I'm glad I'm not the only one bored by TQ. I mean, it's a fun game to some extent, but I'm really getting bored of the part I'm in and it's near the beginning. I'm at the Spartan Camp and everything is long, tan grass.

The game looks amazing and still holds up, but damn if the gameplay isn't boring. They made a lot of nice additions to the UI that I hope future games in this genre mimic, but they just failed to implemet the 'fun factor'. I can't really put my finger on exactly what it is, but something just felt off with the game. I found myself pushing on only to see the next environment type because the game was so nice looking.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
This looks pretty nice! For 20 bucks that might be the final pick up of the winter season for me!
my wife hopes

http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/torchlight-creator-speaks/332577

Interview from Fox News Gamers Weekly segment. Some old footage, some new.

"I'm glad I'm not the only one bored by TQ. I mean, it's a fun game to some extent, but I'm really getting bored of the part I'm in and it's near the beginning. I'm at the Spartan Camp and everything is long, tan grass."

Something about Titan Quest is super sterile. I find it very uninteresting to play, which blows my mind because I completely adore those ancient mythological settings. Adore them.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Add me to the TQ was disappointing camp. I mean on paper it's got everything down pat but when you play... something just doesn't click.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
EviLore said:
Torchlight will run on nearly anything, netbooks included, afaik. So you don't need a proper gaming pc for it.

If I can get 30FPS with this thing on my EeePC1000HA, I will be thoroughly surprised.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I'm sick of so many good games coming out so damn fast. :lol
Reluctant-Hero said:
Yes, I really hope it's ported to OSX!

And I realize a "Gaming PC" isn't needed, I should have wriiten that my "lack of any form of Windows" sucks. I've been to cheap to shell out for the full OS and I'm not keen on pirating.
Can't you Bootcamp the Windows 7 beta? That's free until like March.
Chromax said:
Pre-purchased! My MW2 money went towards this + Painkiller bundle + Machinarium. :D
Badlands + Dragon Age for me. :lol

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Bah, I don't get all the hate for TQ. I had a fun time with it and it's expansion. I much prefer the Lilith mod for it though with the new class mod.

That said, you bastards in this thread made me just go and preorder Torchlight...like I don't have enough shit to play already.

FoxSpirit

Teknopathetic said:
http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/torchlight-creator-speaks/332577

Interview from Fox News Gamers Weekly segment. Some old footage, some new.

"I'm glad I'm not the only one bored by TQ. I mean, it's a fun game to some extent, but I'm really getting bored of the part I'm in and it's near the beginning. I'm at the Spartan Camp and everything is long, tan grass."

Something about Titan Quest is super sterile. I find it very uninteresting to play, which blows my mind because I completely adore those ancient mythological settings. Adore them.

Yeah, such a shame. I also gave up on TQ after a couple of hours... everything looked so boring. Even the enemies >.<

That said, there isn't a "new game +" option but

*)Retirement System – Once characters are sufficiently leveled up, they can “retire” and bestow specific benefits and perks to new characters.

Yeah, make the most OP character ever... then head into the infinite dungeon to see how far you can get :D

bdouble

Will get. Once I get Vista on my MBP. I have had something missing from my life ever since Mythos went offline. I just hope they kept the same type of skill trees basically making each class have 3 very distinct ways to play. Loved my summoning melee based blood letter. :D

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
No brainer for $18 on Steam, pre-ordered today. Was totally off my radar, too, until I saw it up for so cheap on Steam. Very much looking forward to it, can't get enough loot-based games.

Between this, Borderlands, Dragon Age, and Forza 3 in the next few weeks, I need more hours in the day :/

Stitch

Gold Member
just found this, thought it was pretty interesting

What happens when developers lose control of a nearly-finished game soon before its planned release? After forming a new studio, Runic Games, many of the developers behind Mythos transitioned to Torchlight. What follows is an examination of the decisions, steps, and key design elements that have shaped the look of Torchlight -- a title produced on an aggressive schedule and modest budget that still strives to for the production values of a big retail game.
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/4123/from_the_ashes_of_mythos_the_art_.php?page=1

if this is like mythos then i totally need it

bounchfx

lol definitive loot game, borderlands wants a talk ;)

I was REALLY looking forward to Torchlight..but is there really no multiplayer? fuck.. I have no reason to get it now. god dammit, I hope they patch it in. might still get it for the price but I have no real incentive now if I can't play with friends :*(

thaOwner

RPG in the vein of Diablo, Titan Quest, Fate, etc. You have your character, some dungeons, and a lot of loot. The gameplay consists of whacking things over the head and pick up new toys.
*mind blown*
So bought.

Am retrieving my steam user name and password and pre-purchasing this sucker the moment I get home today. I can't remember the amount of time's I've gone to gamestop or ign hoping for something new like this (action/rpg) would come out. Thanks Tek, you've made my day.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I'd join you all but I don't enjoy loot games. I will however snag down the soundtrack if it gets released.

McBradders said:
I´m buying this but I have no idea when I will be able to play it. So many games coming out right now. If my worr PC can handle it I can play on the 2,5 hour train ride I take twice a week.

Dynoro

Fully paid up and awaiting the unlock on Steam - hope to get in on the modding after the devs said it was very easy to get into. Only thing that I disliked was the lack of a respec tool - but it looks like that's addressed through either an easy to make mod (to drop a potion with that effect) or just sticking in a cheat code. Can't wait

ACE 1991

Hmmm... This looks really interesting. I think I'll wait for some GAF impressions and some reviews, but looks great from what I've seen.

ToxicAdam

Just heard about this game. Very pumped for it. Loved Fate and never got in on the Mythos beta.

I can't believe people let you get away with calling Titan Quest boring.

Daigoro

looks cool. not really my kind of game, but my wife has spent many many hours between Fate and TQ, so this looks like a definite buy for her. she dosent play multi either, just shows off her loot to me. :lol

Lothars

markot said:
It is already a top sellar on Steam! Pretty impressive for such a niche, new dev not much buzzzz game!

The reason I bought it is because it's from some of the developers that worked on Diablo, so if it's anything like that it's worth buying.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
If I buy it through their website they get more money right? I usually try to do this with smaller games.

markot

Banned
Hazaro said:
If I buy it through their website they get more money right? I usually try to do this with smaller games.
They would have to pay for servers and paypal!

>.<

Theyd probably get more though still.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Hazaro said:

Yep, of course if they go tits up you won't be able to redownload it.

senahorse

Damn you GAF, another game in my pre-order Steam list (DA:O and Borderlands being the others) :lol

what I really mean is, I love you GAF for bringing this game to my attention

Top Bottom