• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Azih

SomeDude said:
I say this because the midwest is known to be very flat. is the ontario area the same>?
Ontario is pretty damn large, around the Toronto area there are a bunch of rivers feeding Lake Ontario and ravines that break the scenery up some. It's far from being the Rockies but it's got some terrain.

ShaneB

Asked this before, but got glanced over at the time, so I’ll ask it again.

Any opinions on the Kipling/Steeles/Finch area? Looks to be a big pocket of indian culture, but seems fine for a white boy like me to move there. The condo is great and has everything I want, and it’s priced to sell, close enough to where I work, and not too fair to get downtown with a short drive, so I think it works. Just wondering if anyone has any input.

Maybe I’d rather not know, since Ignorance can be bliss, and maybe I’ll just start overthinking things.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
My cousin (who lives/works near Front/Spadina) just called me and asked where was a good place to get his fat 80GB PS3 fixed. I don't know what's wrong with it and I have no idea where he should go and thought I'd ask you guys instead of just picking a random place from Google. He'd be willing to go pretty much anywhere up to and including near his parent's house in Markham (near 16/Woodbine). Thanks.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
EvilMario said:
Top contributors to the original thread:

Thanks for all the kind words on the thread. This will undoubtedly be my last thread (and post), as I've come to detest how the forums operate these days. I did want to have this thread out the door before left the forums, and I hope when |OT3| someone will step up to do that.

I'll see you all out there on the streets of Toronto, whether you know it, or not!
You'll be back..nobody gets away from the GAF :mad:

RS4-

Fuzzy said:
My cousin (who lives/works near Front/Spadina) just called me and asked where was a good place to get his fat 80GB PS3 fixed. I don't know what's wrong with it and I have no idea where he should go and thought I'd ask you guys instead of just picking a random place from Google. He'd be willing to go pretty much anywhere up to and including near his parent's house in Markham (near 16/Woodbine). Thanks.
Gamerama or something by Yonge/Eglinton. I've never used them myself, friend has. Got his YLOD fixed there.

Does anyone here work at Bestbuy,
Canadacomputers, NCIX, Sony store, places of that nature? I kind of need help purchasing something from the online intel edge store

Any recommendations for a good restauranet for my friend's birthday. We're looking at a few of the options above but I was wondering if someone else had a suggestion that hasn't been contributed yet.

We're looking for a moderately priced place that services a wide variety of tastes. Dancing Go Go girls in thigh high boots optional.

Best recommendation will get a GAF Gold account and my personal seal of approval.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
DoctorWho said:
Any recommendations for a good restauranet for my friend's birthday. We're looking at a few of the options above but I was wondering if someone else had a suggestion that hasn't been contributed yet.

We're looking for a moderately priced place that services a wide variety of tastes. Dancing Go Go girls in thigh high boots optional.

Best recommendation will get a GAF Gold account and my personal seal of approval.

How about Future on bloor? It's got decent food, but the cakes they serve there are amazing.

Roto13

Speaking of birthdays, mine is coming up. What are some good places downtown to go for free shit on my birthday? :p Restaurants that give you a free meal with the purchase of a second meal are welcome.

Dyno

Great thread! I'll write a little blurb about BIXI Toronto

https://toronto.bixi.com/

An amalgam of the words 'bike' and 'taxi' BIXI is meant to be used as just that: an alternate active transportation system for use by residents and tourists in the downtown core. There are currently 80 BIXI stations and 1,000 bikes in the network, which runs from Bloor St. to the waterfront (north-south) and from Spadina Ave. to Jarvis St. (east-west.) BIXI covers all of the downtown core.

The system works as follows: For $5 a day from your credit card (yearly membership $95) you get unlimited access to the service. You take a bike out and can make a 30 minute one-way trip to any other BIXI station. (30 minutes is enough time to get anywhere within the current network.) Once you arrive at your destination you put the bike back into a BIXI station and do whatever business you have in the neighbourhood. BIXI stations are all 300 meters apart or less. In the rare instance where there is no bike available or you come to a full station with no empty slots, the ride to the next station is probably less than a minute away. (See 'Spotcycle' below to ameliorate this issue even further.)

When you are ready to leave your area you simply select another available bike to make your return trip. There is no limit to the amount of trips you can make in a day and so long as the trips are 30 minutes or less each time then you are not charged extra on your credit card. BIXI is meant for one way trips in the downtown core and is a great way to quicken your travel through the city.

Plan your trips: In addition to the BIXI Toronto website above there is a great free phone app. called 'Spotcycle' for potential BIXI users. Overlayed on a map of Toronto is the locations off all the BIXI stations. Tap one of the locations and it will tell you how many bikes are currently there as well as how many empty docks are available. With this app you can easily figure out where to start your bike trip, where you will end it, and you will ensure that there is both a bike and an empty slot for your entire trip. Genius!

So far the response for this service has been very positive and we should see BIXI expand in Toronto for years to come.

I didn't realize the new thread started!

Here are my personal picks for great food (some might overlap with the OP):

Best Bagel: Gryfe's Bagels (these bagels melt in your mouth. they are much better than the Montreal and New York style bagels in my humble opinion. The business is located at Bathurst and Steeles but their bagels are also sold around the city in various places like Whole Foods, Pusateris and Kitchen Table)

Best Pizza: Pizzeria Libretto (by far)

Best Chinese: Mother's Dumplings (cheap and awesome dumplings)

Best Vegetarian: King's Cafe (awesome Asian style vegetarian food in Kensington)

Best Sausage: WVRST (dozens of options.. they even have sausage made from kangaroo!)

Best Indian: The Host (try the green chili chicken)

Best Cheaper Indian: Banjara (always busy but worth the wait.. and cheap!)

Best Cheap Sushi: New Generation Sushi

Best Diner: People's Foods (nice family run place. Amazing breakfast and burgers.. at Dupont and Davenport)

Best Brew Pub: Mill Street / Granite Brewery (I cant choose between them.. great beers)

Best Sandwich: Caplansky's Deli (awesome smoked meat.. different than the Montreal style but still fantastic in its own way)

This city can bankrupt anyone that likes a wide variety of good food. The options are fucking ridiculous here. ENJOY the summer and eat well!

3N16MA

Banned
Any news on the approval of the aquarium that is supposed to be built at the base of the CN Tower? Couldn't find anything on it. If everything goes according to plan it will be completed by July 2015. Most major cities have an aquarium and some like Shedd aquarium in Chicago are one of the top tourist attractions in the city.

efff9046408ca92ddd6c32b16ebb.jpeg

Kunohara

Country wide postal strike is official. This really fucks up my job now. I hope it doesn't last long. I was hoping it wouldn't come to this.

ZZMitch

Hey guys, I will be going to the University of Toronto in the fall and I just got an email about joining an first year learning community thing (FLC). I was thinking about maybe doing the international relations one. Any UofT students done one of these, are they worth it? The thing I am kind of worried about with them is that they schedule a history class (HIS103Y1Y) for me and also recommend I take either ECO100Y1Y or ECO105Y1Y. I wanted to take a history class but since I have until July 25th to choose classes I really haven't done any research on them yet so I don't know if these are good classes or anything.

Oppo

EvilMario said:
Thanks. I decided to push through and post it tonight. It's nothing incredible, just a bit cleaner with more information.. I hope. I had a larger history section, but I figure this is not the place for it. Haha.
It is pretty great man. Well done. Subbed.

Acheron

Banned
ZZMitch said:
Hey guys, I will be going to the University of Toronto in the fall and I just got an email about joining an first year learning community thing (FLC). I was thinking about maybe doing the international relations one. Any UofT students done one of these, are they worth it? The thing I am kind of worried about with them is that they schedule a history class (HIS103Y1Y) for me and also recommend I take either ECO100Y1Y or ECO105Y1Y. I wanted to take a history class but since I have until July 25th to choose classes I really haven't done any research on them yet so I don't know if these are good classes or anything.

FLC is worthless, I did Rotman Commerce FLC didn't help at all.

Take HIS109, took it as my Humanities distribution requirement (renamed breadth for new students) especially if Kenneth Bartlett still teaches it. I'd highly suggest a seminar as well.

ZZMitch

Acheron said:
FLC is worthless, I did Rotman Commerce FLC didn't help at all.

Take HIS109, took it as my Humanities distribution requirement (renamed breadth for new students) especially if Kenneth Bartlett still teaches it. I'd highly suggest a seminar as well.

Alright cool, thanks. I don't really understand the breadth stuff too well but I am going to an academic advising session on either July 12th or 18th that should help me out.

Stage On

Kunohara said:
Country wide postal strike is official. This really fucks up my job now. I hope it doesn't last long. I was hoping it wouldn't come to this.

Since I do nearly all of my shopping online not getting mail is driving me crazy :(

The Take Out Bandit said:
Any suggestions for bars with the best on tap beer selection near the Metro Toronto Convention Center?

Apparently it's an 8 minute walk to Smokeless Joe's on John Street:

Map to it: http://bit.ly/kQxrqJ

I haven't been there in a decade, so the fact that it is "Smokeless" probably doesn't matter since all bars are. Anyway, they have a massive beer selection. Beer fans love the place. I don't remember how many they have on tap, but it's probably close to what you're looking for.

http://www.yelp.ca/biz/smokeless-joe-toronto

Any suggestions for bars with the best on tap beer selection near the Metro Toronto Convention Center?

Beer Markt has a ridiculous beer selection but I'm not sure if you would consider it close enough. Actually maybe they have mostly bottles..

C'est what is also very good but it's also in the same general area as Beer Markt.

edit: Smokeless Joes sounds awesome! I never heard of it until reading it above just now... I'll have to check it out.

Thanks guys.

I'll also be checking out Banjara if I have the time.

Are there any used media stores in the area? I'm looking to snag the Canadian only Bluray release of Bitch Slap and if I could do it while I'm up there in the area on foot, all the better. :D

I see there's a Future Shop nearby as I understand that's the Canadian version of Best Buy.

dudeworld

Thanks guys.

I'll also be checking out Banjara if I have the time.

Are there any used media stores in the area? I'm looking to snag the Canadian only Bluray release of Bitch Slap and if I could do it while I'm up there in the area on foot, all the better. :D

I see there's a Future Shop nearby as I understand that's the Canadian version of Best Buy.

it's the same thing as best buy. we have both here in canada

DogWelder

Sad to see only one Indian restaurant being vouched for, but after living downtown for 8 months during the school year I experienced for myself the paucity of good Indian places.

esc said:
Sad to see only one Indian restaurant being vouched for, but after living downtown for 8 months during the school year I experienced for myself the paucity of good Indian places.

"The Host" is incredible. Best I've ever had.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh, are there any good comic shops near the convention center? I'm looking for some stuff, maybe it will be warming shelves in the frigid Northern wastelands. ;)
Closest would be Silver Snail on Queen and John. That's still a bit out of your way though.

firehawk12 said:
Closest would be Silver Snail on Queen and John. That's still a bit out of your way though.

Thanks. Adding to Hitlist.

The whole Toronto thing is out of the way to be honest, so I don't mind a little walk to take in the area while I'm there.

Slime

Banned
Just read that Sonic Boom is being forced out of its location to accommodate a Dollarama, and is moving into a section of Honest Ed's. Fucked. up.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Thanks. Adding to Hitlist.

The whole Toronto thing is out of the way to be honest, so I don't mind a little walk to take in the area while I'm there.
Hah, not sure if you made the trip, but if you're bored you can do a circuit of the stores and sort of head back to the convention centre. Silver Snail -> 3rd Quadrant (if it still exists, I'm not sure) -> The Beguiling -> 1 Million Comix -> Hairy Tarantula. There are a few more of course, but those are the downtown ones.

Slime said:
Just read that Sonic Boom is being forced out of its location to accommodate a Dollarama, and is moving into a section of Honest Ed's. Fucked. up.

I wish I had the landlord's phone number that pushed Sonic Boom out. I really wanna give him/her a piece of my mind.

Slime said:

Fuck this shit!

Isn't Silver Snail moving into the area too?

Slime

Banned
added_time said:
I wish I had the landlord's phone number that pushed Sonic Boom out. I really wanna give him/her a piece of my mind.

Ferserious.

DoctorWho said:
Fuck this shit!

Isn't Silver Snail moving into the area too?

Yep, which will be a welcome addition, but I'm going to miss the old location. Been going there for most of my life.

End of an era on both accounts, really.

Top Bottom