• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Roto13

I can hear the Pride stuff from my apartment. Thankfully the music isn't as overbearingly loud as it was yesterday. (I can play video games without closing the window.)

Willectro

Banned
What's with all the Gaf hype about Game Centre? I went to the one on Danforth and was underwhelmed. Their prices are good on some older stuff and they stock older consoles/games. Reminded me of a Microplay in East Oshawa several years back, lol. They are better than EB/Gamestop/Future Shop/Best Buy, but that isn't hard.

Draff

will52 said:
What's with all the Gaf hype about Game Centre? I went to the one on Danforth and was underwhelmed. Their prices are good on some older stuff and they stock older consoles/games. Reminded me of a Microplay in East Oshawa several years back, lol. They are better than EB/Gamestop/Future Shop/Best Buy, but that isn't hard.

Yeah, I concur. Although I've only been to the one on Charles and Yonge. I have been able to find cheaper used games though, with prices far better than elsewhere.

I can hear the Pride stuff from my apartment. Thankfully the music isn't as overbearingly loud as it was yesterday. (I can play video games without closing the window.)

Same. Although my window faces the parade.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
will52 said:
What you're saying is they're better than other retailers for older games but you don't get the hype? Did you expect them to undercut the big retailers on new games?

Willectro

Banned
Fuzzy said:
What you're saying is they're better than other retailers for older games but you don't get the hype? Did you expect them to undercut the big retailers on new games?

I don't know, I guess I just had it built up in my mind, lol.

Also, does anyone in the East York area (Pape and Danforth) know of a reputable computer repair place? My girlfriend broke the Power Supply port on her Acer (lol) laptop. It appears to be loose and either needs to be replaced/soldered. I don't mind paying a bit extra, I just want it done right. And sending it to Acer to be repaired seems out of the question. All the computer places that I have visited in the area appear sketchy.

Magnus

Happy Pride everyone! Downtown for booze, strippers, dancing and drunken revelry tonight and tomorrow. I still get a kick out of the parade too; this'll be my third year seein it.

will52 said:
Well yeah, that's kinda the point. It's not like I an get that anywhere else now.

will52 said:

Thank you. Im still saying Flea Markets are the best deals.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Crucified said:
Can't stand that place! If you're into the 50s thing anyway, though, you should keep your eyes open for the East End Rockabilly Riot nights that happen every so often at the Dominion on Queen.

I hate that place. Live across the street, only place in the area. Sucks that the food is brutal.

Stet

Banned
Roto13 said:
I just saw a flash. What happens when a drag queen gets struck by lightning?

The same thing that happens to everything else.

e6reie.jpg

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
So I just had Chipotle's for the first time @ Yonge / Dundas.

Chicken Burrito extra stuffed. Definitely in my top 5 restaurants of all time now -_-.

I slept on it for far too long.

will52 said:
What's Toronto-Gaf's favorite beach in the city? I'm thinking about going to Sugar Beach on Friday.

Sugar Beach is a great place to just chill out and relax... but just remember that it's not like a real beach that goes into the water. It's more like a little park.
If you want to wade into the water from sand, then you have to go to a "real" beach.

fat pat

Hey Toronto GAF,

Im coming up this weekend from Chicago to go to Edgefest/HHOF/Tim Hortons and im quite excited about it. Have a couple questions.

The show is at Downsview Park and we will be staying at a holiday inn near the Yorkgate Mall.

How much are cabs around the city? are they very prevelent? Do you know the average fares per 1/8 mile, or 1/2k or however they mark them?

If cabs arent the easiest, how is the parking situation around the city or is there another good alternative of travel?

Unfortunatley were only spending the weekend there and are coming back on sunday nigh and getting in probably late fri evening. but is there anything we must do while were there?

Very excited to come, and i really dont think im going to want to leave.

whitehawk

Banned
Visit the CN tower. Doesn't take long, really cool view, and there is a glass floor. There's also a spinning restaurant there too if your interested.

Just walk around downtown. I love being in downtown environments (any city) and just walking around. There might be some event at dundas square, there is often events/live music. There is a band playing at 8PM if you get there in time: http://www.ydsquare.ca/index.php?option=com_jcalpro&Itemid=172&extmode=view&extid=812

Biff

fat pat said:
Hey Toronto GAF,

Im coming up this weekend from Chicago to go to Edgefest/HHOF/Tim Hortons and im quite excited about it. Have a couple questions.

The show is at Downsview Park and we will be staying at a holiday inn near the Yorkgate Mall.

How much are cabs around the city? are they very prevelent? Do you know the average fares per 1/8 mile, or 1/2k or however they mark them?

If cabs arent the easiest, how is the parking situation around the city or is there another good alternative of travel?

Unfortunatley were only spending the weekend there and are coming back on sunday nigh and getting in probably late fri evening. but is there anything we must do while were there?

You're very close to Downsview Park so I'd recommend just taking the TTC (our public transit) to Edgefest. The official site should have public transit information, but if you're hesitant about transferring buses, then just take a bus that goes straight to Downsview station, and from Downsview station wait for the bus that'll drop you off right outside Downsview Park.

However, and I don't mean to scare you, your hotel is near the worst part of Toronto crime-wise. Since you're from Chicago you must be used to bad parts of town but yeah, avoid public transit at night in that area if you can. Going to Edgefest you'll be ok but coming home is where you may want a cab if it's just you and a friend.

A cab from your hotel to Downsview Park will run you about $5 base + $15 trip = $20 (+tip). TTC is $3 a fare.

And yes, see the CN Tower. Again, go to Downsview station, then just subway downtown to Union station and follow the signs.

cbox

Yeah the CN tower even if you don't go up is quite impressive, especially when you look up from the base.

Enjoy your stay!

*Also, tim hortons sucks! :p

Willectro

Banned
added_time said:
Sugar Beach is a great place to just chill out and relax... but just remember that it's not like a real beach that goes into the water. It's more like a little park.
If you want to wade into the water from sand, then you have to go to a "real" beach.

Oh thanks for the heads up. But I won't be swimming... I don't need any diseases lol.

fat pat said:
Hey Toronto GAF,

Bus to Downsview station and then take the bus from there to Downsview park.....really easy

As far as getting back to that hotel.......the park is going to be rammed so be patient getting out but with all the thousands of people leaving I'm sure the buses back to the hotel will be pretty busy and safer

I'm moving to London, not Toronto, but I assume the climates are pretty similar.

What's better in the snow over there--4WD pickup with all-seasons or a FWD car with snow tires?

Thanks.

opticalmace said:
I'm moving to London, not Toronto, but I assume the climates are pretty similar.

What's better in the snow over there--4WD pickup with all-seasons or a FWD car with snow tires?

Thanks.
If you're going to stay in urban and suburban-ish areas, FWD with snow tires in winter will do just fine. If you're someone who likes to take adventures onto more rural or less-travelled routes between December and March, 4WD is something to consider.

fat pat

allright toronto-gaf, i just got back home(lovely city, by the way. i really wish i had more time to explore it/wasnt with a wet blanket of a travel partner)

but what the fuck is up with beer prices? Im assuming alcohol is very highly taxed in order to help pay for the universal health care, but 35 for a 24 case? jesus christ. is that the reason for the high price? has it always been like that? can you afford to go out and really drink?

fat pat said:
allright toronto-gaf, i just got back home(lovely city, by the way. i really wish i had more time to explore it/wasnt with a wet blanket of a travel partner)

but what the fuck is up with beer prices? Im assuming alcohol is very highly taxed in order to help pay for the universal health care, but 35 for a 24 case? jesus christ. is that the reason for the high price? has it always been like that? can you afford to go out and really drink?

There are cheaper brands, but yeah, beer and alcohol are regulated here (as it should be, imho).

whitehawk said:
My dad is saying that we won't be able to get over the air TV anymore in September... Is this true, or is my dad crazy?

I've been seeing a bunch of ads on TV lately about it, everyone's dropping their analog signals. Pretty sure the one coming up is the CBC, though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's the digital conversion - on Aug 31, you need a digital tuner. The channels are still free, you just either need a new tuner or an ATSC compatible television.

fat pat said:

You dont have to lie, you missed Chicago while you were here didnt you? I bet you cant name 3 things that you liked here that you want in Chicago.

whitehawk

Banned
firehawk12 said:
It's the digital conversion - on Aug 31, you need a digital tuner. The channels are still free, you just either need a new tuner or an ATSC compatible television.
Oh... Okay awesome. That's a relief.

Grifter said:
Heading back to TO for the next 4 days and got sent this list of potential restaurants. Anyone know of them? I think it's restaurant week.

Summerlicious, and it's on until the 24th. It's a food festival whereby participating restaurants put together prix fixe menus for lunch and dinners, and you have to reserve - for most of the popular ones, well in advance - in order to get a seat at an assigned time. The menu prices are generally less than what a three-course meal would cost at such restaurants, allowing us plebes a chance to taste some hoity-toity cuisine at an affordable cost. Taxes, drinks, and extras (tip) not included.

For a complete list of restaurants, check out the city's listing of menus.

Most of the restaurants you got are pretty popular, the Host in particular. The bulk also appear to specialize in South Asian or Indian cuisine. If that's your thing, awesome - Toronto's got some great places. But as you're probably aware there are also a great deal of other foodstuffs to check out in this city.

Top Bottom