• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
So we have lowered our standards to believing drug dealers now?

I don't know how you can defend crack dealers, regardless. And exactly how many people have tried to sell a video tape of a mayor using drugs?

So you would be fine with The Star posting an article about you without first confirming the details?

A grainy cell phone video can confirm that? Please. You don't have reasonable grounds. You have a video that no one has seen, besides media who want to blow everything out of proportion for their own gain, and you have crack dealers saying it was crack.

What?

I know everyone on here hates Ford, but this story just has way too many holes. Don't conflate what you want to believe with the truth.

So when someone is a crack dealer, we can make sweeping insinuations about their ethnicity? Get out of here with that bull.

And you know what I mean, selling incriminating photos/videos of celebrities/politicians isn't something that Somalis have cornered the market in.

Magnus

Felt the place rockin while in bed around quarter to 10. Was half asleep but definitely thought to myself, bet that was a quake.

Willectro

Banned
Hey, a drug dealer says it was crack. A drug dealer who happens to have a video of rob ford using drugs from a crack pipe. A drug dealer who also happened to have a picture of rob ford posing with a now deceased drug dealer. Hey maybe rob ford didn't have crack in the crack pipe! Maybe it was flavored tobacco! Or liquified Vicks vaporub! Maybe he was hanging around drug dealers at the time so they can smoke their vaporub and have a jolly good time talking about football and Trudeau - it's what I do on my days off!

It was gawker who originally ran the story. 3 people are saying its rob ford. 2 of which are star reporters. 1 of them being one of the stars main reporters for city hall.

The likeliness of it being valid are pretty high.

Oh, there's plot holes now?

A drug dealer who's associates are looking for money for the video!?!?!? Seems like they have something to gain here.

Remember when The Star, and almost everyone here said Ford was getting kicked out of office? How soon we forget.

Im pretty sure the weak minded are the ones that voted the guy in

No arguements here.

No, I read that headline and I think that it is clear to anyone with critical thinking skills that we're at the "allegation" stage, not the "Ford's going to jail" stage.

Why can't The Star put that these are allegations? Sensationalism.

Remind me again, which of us here writes warrants for a living? I keep forgetting.

You're a cop? Because the police have never been wrong before. You of all people should know all about due process and innocent until proven guilty. Do you take everything alleged crack dealers say literally?

Fugu

A video that appears to show Toronto’s mayor smoking crack is being shopped around by a group of Somali men involved in the drug trade.
You don't read my posts. You don't read your posts. Whose posts do you read?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
The Star explicity states that the video "appears" to show Ford. They don't say alleged video because they've SEEN the video, they know it exists.

Willectro

Banned
So when someone is a crack dealer, we can make sweeping insinuations about their ethnicity? Get out of here with that bull.

And you know what I mean, selling incriminating photos/videos of celebrities/politicians isn't something that Somalis have cornered the market in.

They claimed to be crack dealers for fuck sakes. They are selling incriminating photos/videos to defame a mayor. I'm not talking about every person from Somalia, I'm talking about criminals here. Get out of here with that bull.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
A drug dealer who's associates are looking for money for the video!?!?!? Seems like they have something to gain here.

Remember when The Star, and almost everyone here said Ford was getting kicked out of office? How soon we forget.

Of course they have something to gain- they are selling a video of rob ford smoking crack

And rob ford was removed from office and then reinstated

Oh how soon we forget

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia

No arguements here.

Why can't The Star put that these are allegations? Sensationalism.

You're a cop? Because the police have never been wrong before. You of all people should know all about due process and innocent until proven guilty. Do you take everything alleged crack dealers say literally?
If someone wants money for the video, then the video loses credibility? How do you figure?

He was removed from office. The star also said there was a chance he'd win the appeal.

The star hasn't said that it's crack, but after seeing the video they're confident it's Rob. Where exactly is the sensationalism? Could you point it out, a quote or something?

At this point, no one on GAF is sure that it's him, but when a couple of major news outlets have seen this video and can confirm that it's him in these videos - it's no longer about taking the dealers word. The only thing people are relying on the dealers for is the crack accusal - and even then, while I'm not an expert, what else do you smoke by lighting up the bottom of a glass pipe other than crack?

They claimed to be crack dealers for fuck sakes. They are selling incriminating photos/videos to defame a mayor. I'm not talking about every person from Somalia, I'm talking about criminals here. Get out of here with that bull.
When you highlight the ethnicity of the dealers and say "they have that pirate mentality"/"Toronto pirates" then you're being pretty offensive. The only relation to "pirating" here is that they are Somali.

You can be as anti-pc as you want, but unless you want to offend GAF members who are Somali, have some damn tact.

Willectro

Banned
The Star explicity states that the video "appears" to show Ford. They don't say alleged video because they've SEEN the video, they know it exists.

But they are making serious assumptions on what he was smoking.

Of course they have something to gain- they are selling a video of rob ford smoking crack

And rob ford was removed from office and then reinstated

Oh how soon we forget

That wasn't the tone around here and you know it. Most thought he was going to be removed permanently, and didn't have much to say after the outcome was announced.

If I'm wrong about this current issue, I will admit it.

Willectro

Banned
If someone wants money for the video, then the video loses credibility? How do you figure?

He was removed from office. The star also said there was a chance he'd win the appeal.

The star hasn't said that it's crack, but after seeing the video they're confident it's Rob. Where exactly is the sensationalism? Could you point it out, a quote or something?

At this point, no one on GAF is sure that it's him, but when a couple of major news outlets have seen this video and can confirm that it's him in these videos - it's no longer about taking the dealers word. The only thing people are relying on the dealers for is the crack accusal - and even then, while I'm not an expert, what else do you smoke by lighting up the bottom of a glass pipe other than crack?

On the front page of The Star "Rob Ford in 'crack cocaine' video scandal".

And you are naive. There's thousands of things that could be smoked out of glass pipe. Thousands. To jump to the conclusion that it's crack is crazy. Of course the people selling the video are going to say it's crack. No one would care if it was weed/hash/etc.

Fugu

And you are naive. There's thousands of things that could be smoked out of glass pipe. Thousands. To jump to the conclusion that it's crack is crazy. Of course the people selling the video are going to say it's crack. No one would care if it was weed/hash/etc.
He is in a video scandal. It is fact that this story -- one about a video that spurred allegations of crack use -- has produced a scandal.

NEXT WEEK: Rob Ford is gay

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

They saw him smoking from a crack pipe, with a crack dealers, on a video shown to them by crack dealers. Then they said he "appeared to be smoking crack". I think they were very fair in what they said.

thabiz

you dont smoke hash/weed/etc out of a pipe like whats described. the only thing you could smoke out of a crack pipe, with the flame on the bottom of the pipe, would be heroin.

Willectro

Banned
When you highlight the ethnicity of the dealers and say "they have that pirate mentality"/"Toronto pirates" then you're being pretty offensive. The only relation to "pirating" here is that they are Somali.

You can be as anti-pc as you want, but unless you want to offend GAF members who are Somali, have some damn tact.

Great stealth edit.

You know what is pretty offensive? These fucking assholes selling crack in Toronto. That's offensive.

you dont smoke hash/weed/etc out of a pipe like whats described.

There are infinite ways to smoke hash.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia

That wasn't the tone around here and you know it. Most thought he was going to be removed permanently, and didn't have much to say after the outcome was announced.

If I'm wrong about this current issue, I will admit it.
They are repeating the claim of what he is smoking, there are no assumptions.

And now you're not talking about the star, you're talking about GAF? Even then, it's not the same situation. When he was kicked out, people were arguing about whether or not he'd be reinstated. It was either or and it came down to the decision of a third party. Being "wrong" about that is different than being wrong about the legitimacy of this video. Don't conflate the two

Great stealth edit.

You know what is pretty offensive? These fucking assholes selling crack in Toronto. That's offensive.

There are infinite ways to smoke hash.
Stealth edit? You mean including the reply in a post I already made? That's a bad thing now? It's when you say stuff like this, what are you even talking about?

Stick to your guns and don't admit fault, by hopefully next time you'll remember this and think before you type.

Willectro

Banned
They are repeating the claim of what he is smoking, there are no assumptions.

And now you're not talking about the star, you're talking about GAF? Even then, it's not the same situation. When he was kicked out, people were arguing about whether or not he'd be reinstated. It was either or and it came down to the decision of a third party. Being "wrong" about that is different than being wrong about the legitimacy of this video. Don't conflate the two

I'm not conflating the two. I'm stating that in the past, people here (and in a variety of media outlets) have been very quick to jump to conclusions. You are conflating your hate for Ford with the allegations.

Edit: YOU JUST DID IT AGAIN. Wow.

Sober

Damn, I totally missed the earthquake. I was out like a light, never noticed it. This is what getting up at noon gets you :(

I did feel the last quake though.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I'm not conflating the two. I'm stating that in the past, people here (and in a variety of media outlets) have been very quick to jump to conclusions. You are conflating your hate for Ford with the allegations.

Edit: YOU JUST DID IT AGAIN. Wow.

This entire thread of conversation started because you said that the star was wrong about Rob being kicked out, so they could be wrong about this. I corrected that, if you wanted to make your above point, you should have said that first. Even then, comparing the two situations is still Apple's to oranges.

Also, you understand I'm doing that so I don't double post, right?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Enlighten me, I could be wrong. I quoted him twice and by time I could submit my reply he had edited the post in some way.

Stealth edit would be him going back and changing the wording on his previous post such as:

"Rob Ford is smoking crack" but then he goes back to edit and changes it to say "Rob Ford MIGHT be shocking crack". Slight edit to essentially make it better for him in regards to the conversation. A good example would be the whole issue that got Amirox de-modded with him going back and changing his posts.

Kinitari is just adding in another quote in response to something else instead of having a million posts or double posting. As far as I see he hasn't altered any of his previous responses.

Boogie

I am not going to get in an Internet pissing match with you over professional qualifications.

You simply do not know what you are talking about.

Do police officers rely on information from drug dealers? All the damn time. Info from CI's gets evaluated on three C's: is it credible, is it corroborated, is it compelling. This story has a lot of that covered off already.

I am not talking about actual criminal chares here. I am saying that in the totality of what has come out so far, the answer to the question "is this believable?" is yes.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Enlighten me, I could be wrong. I quoted him twice and by time I could submit my reply he had edited the post in some way.
A stealth edit would be if I said something, and changed it quickly so that it said something else.

For example:

Doctors are all idiots!

10seconds later, after editing my post

Doctors are okay, I guess, but I've had a few bad ones.

That is an example of a stealth edit. What I am doing is combining my replies into one post, so that I don't double post. This happens when I post something - see that you replied to something else I said, and instead of just hitting 'reply' and double posting, I copy what you said and edit it into my original post.

Combustion can occur with glass in between.

Okay, let's say that there is a possibility that this was not crack/meth/heroin. Let's say it was... hash, or weed.

If you were to throw out a wild guess, and you saw someone smoking out of that sort of pipe and using that method - what would be your personal odds (if you HAD to bet) on that being weed, as opposed to crack?

diaspora

Even if there's no crack/coke here, calling a politician- let alone anyone a "fag" and "fucking minorities" is extraordinarily fucked up.

I think the last time the thread moved this fast is the last time Willectro was arguing with everybody. lol

EvilMario better get |OT4| ready at this rate!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Even if there's no crack/coke here, calling a politician- let alone anyone a "fag" and "fucking minorities" is extraordinarily fucked up.

Exactly. Of course he's made his fair share of racist and homophobic comments prior to being Mayor and he was still voted in. So maybe people just don't give care. :/

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
The tape needs to be released. The people of Toronto need to see it and make their own conclusions.

Seeing your avatar reminds me, do you have the larger version of it? I need to post some Canadian sadness every so often.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Seeing your avatar reminds me, do you have the larger version of it? I need to post some Canadian sadness every so often.

iboxDz9p0BN607.png

Willectro

Banned
Stealth edit would be him going back and changing the wording on his previous post such as:

"Rob Ford is smoking crack" but then he goes back to edit and changes it to say "Rob Ford MIGHT be shocking crack". Slight edit to essentially make it better for him in regards to the conversation. A good example would be the whole issue that got Amirox de-modded with him going back and changing his posts.

Kinitari is just adding in another quote in response to something else instead of having a million posts or double posting. As far as I see he hasn't altered any of his previous responses.

Thank you. My apologies.

A stealth edit would be if I said something, and changed it quickly so that it said something else.

For example:

Doctors are all idiots!

10seconds later, after editing my post

Doctors are okay, I guess, but I've had a few bad ones.

That is an example of a stealth edit. What I am doing is combining my replies into one post, so that I don't double post. This happens when I post something - see that you replied to something else I said, and instead of just hitting 'reply' and double posting, I copy what you said and edit it into my original post.

Okay, let's say that there is a possibility that this was not crack/meth/heroin. Let's say it was... hash, or weed.

If you were to throw out a wild guess, and you saw someone smoking out of that sort of pipe and using that method - what would be your personal odds (if you HAD to bet) on that being weed, as opposed to crack?

My apologies.

I agree, the odds are not in his favor, but its a shocking accusation to make without having the facts.

give it up man. its not hash or whatever. nobody smokes hash/weed out of crack pipe. it would also take forever to heat it that way. unless hes using a small blowtorch.

So let's immediately jump to the harshest conclusion.

Yea, I can't even defend that.

I am not going to get in an Internet pissing match with you over professional qualifications.

You simply do not know what you are talking about.

Do police officers rely on information from drug dealers? All the damn time. Info from CI's gets evaluated on three C's: is it credible, is it corroborated, is it compelling. This story has a lot of that covered off already.

I am not talking about actual criminal chares here. I am saying that in the totality of what has come out so far, the answer to the question "is this believable?" is yes.

So if a crack dealer says that Ford smoked crack, that's the truth?

I'm entitled to my opinion, Officer. There is not yet, any firm evidence that it was crack. It is plausible, I agree. I just think these are serious allegations to be throwing around without credible facts.

thabiz

So let's immediately jump to the harshest conclusion.

the harshest conclusion is the only logical conclusion. if it was hash/weed, im sure the drug dealers would have handed him a bong. based on the description of the device, there is no way thats a bong.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I'd really love to hear a longer explanation from Ford on than video other than calling it 'ridiculous'. If the entire video is fabricated, come out and say it. If he smoking hash, better just come out and say it now and get in front of it. Explain the situation and control the story then. I don't expect to hear much from Ford though.

Top Bottom