• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

firehawk12

Subete no aware
ARE YOU SHITTING ME?!?! :'(

Not another icon, FUCK this world! :'(

Got so many magazine issues and other odds and sods there, I'll never forget Chapters at Steeles & Yonge either. :(

I'm surprised it lasted this long. A giant retail space that just doesn't need to exist anymore.

Just getting myself on the top of the page, don't mind me.

Toronto related...

GO JAYS!
Maybe they'll trade away another manager next year!

I'm not proud that my city elected a guy who thinks that reading and following conflict of interest rules is for chumps.

I'm not proud that he violated this rules, and then decided to face a court case instead of facing the reality of what he'd done.

I'm not proud that it took a judge's court ruling - now public record for the rest of eternity - for the remotest possibility of replacing him to come about.

I'm not proud that in response to such a court ruling, our mayor then proceeded to blame the verdict on a left-wing conspiracy.

And I'm really not proud that many of my fellow citizens think that this verdict, in and of itself, will end the city's issues and dealings with the matter of Ford's wilful blindness to the rules governing his post.

Frankly, I'm ashamed of our Mayor and of our city. All that I am proud of is our Superior Court, whose justice today had the balls to rule against the Mayor of Canada's largest city in the face of a court case that had numerous consequences to a guilty verdict.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
These food spots are really trying to kill people with these prices. I just checked BlogTO for some new places (the gf and I have been looking to try new foods from different cultures or just something not too common) and the prices go from $9-$30 for the smallest portions in the world.

SMH.

What restaurant?

Hieberrr

What restaurant?

Any of the new spots mentioned on BlogTO. Sausages spots, poutine places, fish n chips, Phiily cheeses steaks, etc...

I'm looking for... hmm.. I don't know, anything that isn't Korean, Japanese, Italian, North American, Chinese, Middle Eastern, Indian, Greek, etc... I could go for some Latin American cuisine, but those are probably pretty damn expensive. I guess I'm just looking for a simple spot to grab a bite at that won't cost me an arm and a leg.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Any of the new spots mentioned on BlogTO. Sausages spots, poutine places, fish n chips, Phiily cheeses steaks, etc...

I'm looking for... hmm.. I don't know, anything that isn't Korean, Japanese, Italian, North American, Chinese, Middle Eastern, Indian, Greek, etc... I could go for some Latin American cuisine, but those are probably pretty damn expensive. I guess I'm just looking for a simple spot to grab a bite at that won't cost me an arm and a leg.
If you want relatively cheap, just go to any local family run place. I figure there must be lots of places down at Little Portugal anyway.

EphNE

Please refrain from making offensive or illegal statements
These food spots are really trying to kill people with these prices. I just checked BlogTO for some new places (the gf and I have been looking to try new foods from different cultures or just something not too common) and the prices go from $9-$30 for the smallest portions in the world.

SMH.

You should try Paramount on Yonge Street, inbetween Dundas and Shuter. It's a middle eastern food place with some cheap options. The service isn't great a lot of the time, but once they sent us away with free pita bread, which was nice. But it's not always bad. Manakesh is their cheapest foods there ranging from 3-4 dollars. They're like pita pizzas (minus the tomato sauce). They do have other platters that are more expensive, but its still reasonably priced. I had their platter chicken burger and was surprised by how much stuff they pile on.

The Paramount special, though expensive is a super delicious drink. I suggest trying it at least once. There is some stuff that people may not like in it giving it a strange texture. If you are the type not to like that, you can get their mango/strawberrry drink that is simpler.

EphNE

Whoops... i guess Paramount is out. Not accepting a lot of options, it seems.

Dance Mac and Cheese is another option just west of McCaul on Queen Street. It's basically a casserole dish place but they have some imaginative options. The smallest portion is about $5 and they have three different sizes, their largest being about 9 bucks.

Hieberrr

You should try Paramount on Yonge Street, inbetween Dundas and Shuter. It's a middle eastern food place with some cheap options. The service isn't great a lot of the time, but once they sent us away with free pita bread, which was nice. But it's not always bad. Manakesh is their cheapest foods there ranging from 3-4 dollars. They're like pita pizzas (minus the tomato sauce). They do have other platters that are more expensive, but its still reasonably priced. I had their platter chicken burger and was surprised by how much stuff they pile on.

The Paramount special, though expensive is a super delicious drink. I suggest trying it at least once. There is some stuff that people may not like in it giving it a strange texture. If you are the type not to like that, you can get their mango/strawberrry drink that is simpler.

I went to paramount for lunch a few months ago. Food-wise it was decent, although the service and people there were very nice and awesome.

EphNE

I went to paramount for lunch a few months ago. Food-wise it was decent, although the service and people there were very nice and awesome.

I've gone a couple of times and usually get ignored for most of my meal. Sometimes they don't bring the bill, or they don't tell you that you have to go to the cashier to pay. I've never been told to go to the cashier, but I have had my bill brought to me. It would be nice if they'd be consistent.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Sadly you're not going to find any fish n' chips places that are too inexpensive. Reliable on the east end is pretty good. They have amazing coleslaw. One that Got Away is downtown, not the cheapest spot, but the quality is amazing for the fish and the chips.

Agreed that cheap eats are way tougher than they were a couple years ago in the city. Try the Okonomi House at Charles and Yonge if you want something different and cheap. People seem to either like it, or hate it though.

Anyone else that wants to list some good cheap eats should and I'll add them to the recommendations later if we can agree on some.

Hieberrr

Sadly you're not going to find any fish n' chips places that are too inexpensive. Reliable on the east end is pretty good. They have amazing relish. One that Got Away is downtown, and not the cheapest spot, but the quality is amazing for the fish and the chips.

Agreed that cheap eats are way tougher than they were a couple years ago in the city. Try the Okonomi House at Charles and Yonge if you want something different and cheap. People seem to either like it, or hate it though.

Anyone else that wants to list some good cheap eats should and I'll add them to the recommendations later if we can agree on some.

Hmm, seems interesting. I'll take a look at it some more and run it through the gf :D

YES! Cheap eats list, please!

Biff

Little nitpick for the OT, re: TTC tokens:

They're $2.60 per if you buy at least 3, not $2.50 per if you buy at least 5 :)

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Oh wow didn't even realize I was in the wall of shame, yay me.

Also as I remembered it since I passed it on Thursday...when the heck is that aquarium going to be finished?

I'm just sick of seeing construction all the time.

Kave_Man said:
Also as I remembered it since I passed it on Thursday...when the heck is that aquarium going to be finished?

I'm just sick of seeing construction all the time.
Just in time for the 2015 Pan-Am Games...to close.

I don't know for certain, but I remember hearing something about 2015.

Oppo

God damn people think I live in wonderland's backyard and shit. So yes, I always answer Toronto.

There's an easy answer here:
"I live just outside of Toronto" :)

I grew up in St. Thomas but people don't really know where that is, so I'd say "just outside London".

Just saw this thread was up so I'll ask this here too:

It's new phone time. I'm looking at Mobilicity & Wind, who both have pretty good deals on right now (Wind unlimited everything for $40, Mob unliimted 22.50 for 6 mos. then up to $45 after that). Mobilicity might have the edge because they're cheaper in the short term and they have the phone I want (Xperia T).

But I've been with Virgin for a couple of years now and I know little about either company's service. I live smack in the middle of the downtown core, but I'm out in Oakville for work 2 days a week. Any recommendations?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe an ISP section? Teksavvy, acanac, distributel?, sigh...those 'other' companies...

Any word if we'll ever get anything decent here? Why the flying FUCK does Quebec and Vancouver have better service than we do? Even London has an ISP with no cap and some insane up and down via fiber optic.not sure about the other burbs....how about it, GTA GAF?

I'm upset that it looks like they will be terrible this season. I want them to be terrible next season and draft my boy Andrew Wiggins!

He heard about your great defensive play for Vaughan and got inspired to work hard and join the team when it was his turn

You should say that to people

It's new phone time. I'm looking at Mobilicity & Wind, who both have pretty good deals on right now (Wind unlimited everything for $40, Mob unliimted 22.50 for 6 mos. then up to $45 after that). Mobilicity might have the edge because they're cheaper in the short term and they have the phone I want (Xperia T).

But I've been with Virgin for a couple of years now and I know little about either company's service. I live smack in the middle of the downtown core, but I'm out in Oakville for work 2 days a week. Any recommendations?

I think Wind has a home zone in Oakville

Flash

I've been with Mobilicity for about a year. Data speeds are average and reception for the most part covers my needs (but I'm almost exclusively in North York and downtown). Only downfall is that reception gets pretty shoddy in some buildings - I don't get reception in half my classes at York, but whatever. For the price I pay (roughly 25 a month because of the unlimited data/talk/text BTS promo), I'm more than willing to overlook some of the negatives.

As for you, I suggest finding out their coverage in Oakville and maybe do a trial run. Just pick up the cheapest phone they have, see how the reception is in areas you typically frequent, and then return it within their 10 day (?) period to get your money back. I did that before porting my number over. And as for the Xperia T, you can just purchase the phone outright from a Mobilicity dealer without signing up for a plan and it will work on Wind's network. Only downfall is you probably won't be able to bargain for a better deal.

jokkir

Go Wind. Although you'll save money in the short term, the coverage for calls and data speed I find is much better on Wind. Granted, it's not AMAZING, it's still better on Wind IMO. I can't really say about coverage in Oakville though.

EDIT:
@Flash. I suggest going with Wind. I used to have really crappy signal at YorkU when I was with Mobilicity but after switching to Wind, I get coverage with decent data speeds. Even at the TEL building where there was barely any signal, I get full to half bars on Wind

Flash

Go Wind. Although you'll save money in the short term, the coverage for calls and data speed I find is much better on Wind. Granted, it's not AMAZING, it's still better on Wind IMO. I can't really say about coverage in Oakville though.

I think it really depends on how close you are to a cell tower. I haven't really had problems with dropped calls, and I've been in areas in Toronto where my friend on Wind had zero bars / no 3G whereas I had a full bar (I know, anecdotal).

I think that they are pretty comparable in Toronto. But the main difference between the companies is that it seems Wind is more interested in expanding their service outwards whereas Mobicility is more interested in improving their service in the Toronto / GTA region.

EDIT:
@Flash. I suggest going with Wind. I used to have really crappy signal at YorkU when I was with Mobilicity but after switching to Wind, I get coverage with decent data speeds. Even at the TEL building where there was barely any signal, I get full to half bars on Wind

Yeah, I figured it was just a cell tower problem... they don't seem to have very many at the university (but the second I leave the campus, full bars, lol).

Thanks for the heads up, but I don't know if there is really any point to switching. I should be done my studies there this semester and so far it hasn't bothered me that much because I could always jump onto wifi.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I think it really depends on how close you are to a cell tower. I haven't really had problems with dropped calls, and I've been in areas in Toronto where my friend on Wind had zero bars / no 3G whereas I had a full bar (I know, anecdotal).

I think that they are pretty comparable in Toronto. But the main difference between the companies is that it seems Wind is more interested in expanding their service outwards whereas Mobicility is more interested in improving their service in the Toronto / GTA region.

I'll give WIND credit for improving their service in our area.. and through parts of downtown that were dead zones for us (Parkdale along Queen). It's much better than it was a year ago. Not to say you wouldn't receive a more reliable signal with other carries, but for what we pay and not being on any contract, it's best for us.

jokkir

I think it really depends on how close you are to a cell tower. I haven't really had problems with dropped calls, and I've been in area in Toronto where my friend on Wind had zero bars / no 3G whereas I had a full bar (I know, anecdotal).

Yeah, I figured it was just a cell tower problem... they don't seem to have very many at the university (but the second I leave the campus, full bars, lol).

Thanks for the heads up, but I don't know if there is really any point to switching. I should be done my studies there this semester and so far it hasn't bothered me that much because I could always jump onto wifi.

Yeah, the only reason I switched was because it was only 5$ more for better coverage ( went from the unlimited everything 25$ to unlimited everything 30%). The one thing I like about Wind is when you miss a call, they text you andsay who tried to call you. And yeah, had the same problem. No signal when I get to campus and when I leave, full bars. It was weird.

I know you said that Wind likes to expand outwards but a lot of their new towers that go up seems to be focused inward as well. I know right now they're switching to HSPA+. While Mobilicity is doing that, I think they're going for a tiered system? Not really sure about that though so don't quote me on it :p

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
i finally tried the five guys at dundas sq

$14 for non pre frozen food that you could easily make at home. not worth it.

Top Bottom