• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto GAF Meetup XIII: Conrad's Wake

Status
Not open for further replies.

krae_man

RJClomp.jpg

Date: Friday July 24th
Time: 8pm
693 Bloor St W

We'll start off here and undoubtedly wander down to Koreatown for Soju and KFC(Korean Fried Chicken).

#TeamWarm and enjoying the summer? #TeamWinter and hating it? #IhatethePANAMGames and want something else to do? Well come to TorontoGAF Meetup 13!

Join us for a drink while we mourn the loss of our dear town mascot Conrad. Not since Ikea Monkey has a furry critter clawed its way into our hearts and minds. Come share your favorite Conrad stories with the rest of us as we say goodbye to a friend.

But that's not all, Meetup 13 will be featuring a Speedrunners tournament with prizes!

WhgWILy.jpg

If you don't know, Speedrunners is an awesome couch co-op game that is basically Mario Kart on foot. Only the goal isn't to get to cross the finish line first, the goal is to get so far ahead your opponents they get caught and die as the stage scrolls with the leader.

We'll be playing on my laptop:
kIsHH1Y.jpg

Tournament will be organized so that there is a 4 player final. Three runners up get $10 Amazon.ca gift cards. Winner gets a $25 Amazon.ca gift card and this awesome signed Shadow of the Beast concept art poster:

SiY4r31.jpg

And of course the Mystery box will be back for a 4th time! In addition to the Mystery Box, for the first time every, there will be Non Box prizes available to be won.

RG5CA8J.jpg

Meetup 13 will have the best odds of winning ever!*

*actual odds of winning depend on number of entries received

Kuro said:
But I'm shy and scared of meeting people I don't know
Best way to get over that? Go out and meet some people. Yes, we don't know you, and you don't know us. However, the people I've met have all been friendly and we haven't had disagreements in the past. What will you talk about? What do you want to talk about?

But it's too far and it's too cold warm!
Yes...! Another convert of Team Warm! One of us was driving back from NEW YORK the night of the last meet up and STILL made it. Another came all the way from OTTAWA! The temperatures for the last meet up, I'm guessing, were colder than this coming meet up AND there was a power outage last time. Nothing...stops this train.

Fear not my #TeamWinter, friends. We will be inside, drinking cold beverages.

But I don't drink alcohol and bar food is disgusting
Come chat and/or bring your portable game system and play a few rounds of that popular video game with us. You can always come just to say hello, see the carnage, and be witness to the shenanigans.

But I'm poor...! :(
If you can make it, people usually treat others to at least one round. Of course, we aren't going to do this if Rob Ford or something like 50 crazies show up, but anyone who comes for a drink always gets one. You can always join Kraftwerk for some Kraft Water.

I'm busy doing [insert activity here]
If you're busy at home watching tv/movies or playing video games, they aren't going anywhere, and you can play games with us and discuss tv/movies with us. If you're busy doing someone, well...you can finish and then come visit after a shower of course.

I'm tired
Nothing brings out the energy like discussion and body slams.

Why would I want to go meet a bunch of Internet gaming nerds?
lol says the person posting on an Internet gaming forum.

Never been to a meetup before? Come anyway, we're all friendly and love meeting new gaffers. All you need to know is two things:

1) Coors Lite = Water
2) Soju is the nectar of the gods

Last meetup's alumni:

4LhhnoH.jpg

Last meetup before Fan Expo. Lets do this!

Confirmed:

krae_man
Sober
Evil Mario
Chaobreaker
Kuro
Brinbe
Quadratic
ItIsOkBro
Shadowkat
Haeleos
Madouu
Fuzzy
Mhee123

Maybe:
Entropia
Alphatwo00
web_slinger_62
Anony
Mupod
Soultron
crimzonflame
dluu13

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Toronto meet up seems so much more organized compared to Vancouver one haha...

I should go to one of these sometime. I'm usually just too lazy to commute for hours.

Speedrunners was really fun when I briefly tried it at the Rock Candy/PDP booth at E3.

Sober

I am a maybe for now. All depends how my job hunt goes in the next couple weeks.
Show up anyway, we all throw money at the bill. If you can't pay we all try to cover those who can't. I have photographic proof of all the times we go waaaay over the bill.

(I'm still job hunting)

Entropia

No One Remembers
Show up anyway, we all throw money at the bill. If you can't pay we all try to cover those who can't. I have photographic proof of all the times we go waaaay over the bill.

(I'm still job hunting)

I'd really really like to regardless, but I have to be fairly strict with my budget for now.

But, plus side is I have an interview this week, and some other potential interviews coming this week. So it may all be good!

soultron

Banned
My GF's gonna be at Wayhome so I might come out. I'm tentative for now.

I don't know if this would be up your alley, dudes & dudettes, but I recently went to a polycount meetup and it was held at The Scotland Yard (Esplanade, right by Union Station) and we booked an entire small back room there. It had about 60 people in it at peak and was a great room for the occasion. Maybe we could think about doing it there? Could be easiest for people coming on the GO or taking the TTC.

Goddammit, I'm in Toronto until the 22nd.
I would've been all over this, since I never got a chance to go to the meetups when I was studying in Waterloo.

Oh and krae, if you want I can bring back the championship belt and you can use it for this tourney. I can even print out a nice new logo for it.

Sober

I'd really really like to regardless, but I have to be fairly strict with my budget for now.

But, plus side is I have an interview this week, and some other potential interviews coming this week. So it may all be good!
We all usually just get pitchers and nachos for the table so even if you can't spare any money to get something for yourself you basically get free booze and nachos.

JUST DO IT

krae_man

Location changed. It's now at Clintons as Clintons has more space. Still same general area. OP updated with address etc.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
8pm is a relatively late start. Anyone showing up early for Monsters, Smash, or just to hang out? I live minutes away, so it's no problem for me to show up early.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
8pm is a relatively late start. Anyone showing up early for Monsters, Smash, or just to hang out? I live minutes away, so it's no problem for me to show up early.
I'll be there around 6-7 for carrying. Might meet Quad if I'm not working from home that day.

I'm down for some pre-meetup Smash or MonHun.

I asked before but should I bring back that belt from the Bomberman tourney? We can re-use it for this new tourney.

Madouu

Hey guys!

I'm visiting for a few days from Montreal and the meetup happens to be during my stay here. If you don't mind a slightly depressed, non alcohol drinking gaffer with a french accent, I'd love to come and meet some of you guys.

Sober

Hey guys!

I'm visiting for a few days from Montreal and the meetup happens to be during my stay here. If you don't mind a slightly depressed, non alcohol drinking gaffer with a french accent, I'd love to come and meet some of you guys.
Definitely come, the more the merrier!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys!

Well, the weather does suck in MTL right now. And don't worry about not drinking alcohol..,
Definitely come, the more the merrier!
^
This guy will drink your share :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom