• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Touhou Community Thread | Highly Responsive to Posts

I'm always fond of the "Local Girl goes awoo" meme (though not awoo in general interestingly), but maybe if its not game specific we can go for something series specific? Relating to the all female cast, or the bullet hell? The joke about rain being easier to dodge, maybe?

As I thought. No built in customizable keys. I'll be sure to suggest Auto Hotkey with a script option in the OT.

HGH

Banned
I liked Playism's little title: "BULLET HELL AROUSES YOUR PRIMAL IMPULSE..."
Maybe that works? Or maybe something about Takkos?
Or...
"Explore the story... - ** This game release is a Japanese version only **

shockdude

As I thought. No built in customizable keys. I'll be sure to suggest Joy to Key with a script option in the OT.
Touhou has customizable buttons for gamepads. Remapping keyboard controls requires AutoHotKey, which is what I use. Remapping a gamepad analog stick to DPAD requires Joy2Key or Xpadder.

I like the awoo title. Can't think of anything else that captures the silly spirit of touhou, even if it doesn't really touch on the game's difficulty.

Touhou has customizable buttons for gamepads. Remapping keyboard controls requires AutoHotKey, which is what I use. Remapping a gamepad analog stick to DPAD requires Joy2Key or Xpadder.

I meant to say AutoHotKey, yeah. I believe I got the idea to use it from in here actually.

microfolk

Ooooh talking about the Playism page:

Touhou 14 Double Dealing Characters |OT|: System Requirements: Danmaku resilience, hubris (recommended)

So I just realized that the character sections are going to need to be longer, to account for shottypes. I also need to try the patch on the game to see what happens. I think someone said earlier that the patch didn't work on the Playism download, so I'm not expecting much. Hopefully the autopatcher guys come together again for this release if Playism doesn't wind up doing anything.

shockdude

So I just realized that the character sections are going to need to be longer, to account for shottypes. I also need to try the patch on the game to see what happens. I think someone said earlier that the patch didn't work on the Playism download, so I'm not expecting much. Hopefully the autopatcher guys come together again for this release if Playism doesn't wind up doing anything.
The game doesn't include a readme describing shot types and mechanics? Oh dear. You're definitely gonna need a bunch of references to touhouwiki.

microfolk

The game doesn't include a readme describing shot types and mechanics? Oh dear. You're definitely gonna need a bunch of references to touhouwiki.

It's all in japanese. :\ And the shot types are quite varied in this game so a little blurb for each one of them would be nice. Especially since there are strange things like Reimu-A's purification rod or friggin' Sakuya-A's silver blades which slows enemy bullets.

vall03

Uh, I can't seem to run the game, trying various compatibility settings but still nothing. Always prompted with "has stopped working" message right after launching it. Something I did wrong here?

microfolk

Uh, I can't seem to run the game, trying various compatibility settings but still nothing. Always prompted with "has stopped working" message right after launching it. Something I did wrong here?

Set your system locale to japanese or use AppLocale\pAppLocale, this seems to make it work for me.

It's pretty silly that we have to do things like this tho. :\

vall03

Set your system locale to japanese or use AppLocale\pAppLocale, this seems to make it work for me.

It's pretty silly that we have to do things like this tho. :\

Oh crap, I totally forgot about that. I remember doing the same thing for a few Falcom games before. *sigh* Oh well, this is the only way for me to get the game anyway.

The Japanese/gibberish named folder the game comes in can be renamed to something with the Latin alphabet (I used Touhou 14 - Double Dealing Character). That should hopefully help.

I'm adding that one into the FAQ btw, along with why the game is throwing an error about Direct Input and Direct3d (It's likely your monitor not having an option to run in 1280x960, and changing it to windowed mode or another compatible resolution should help.

demidar

Yeah you should probably put in a link to an AppLocale download or something.

Uhm, so when I have the retail release there is no point in buying the playism version?

Nope, unless you want to support ZUN/Playism. Money from digital copies goes straight into their pockets if it's like other digital storefronts.

Well I already supported ZUN, but this release is so lackluster, I mean couldn't they at least translate the readme/omake and maybe just maybe asking the translators to put their patch in?

Considering how much of a control freak ZUN is, he probably just asked not to touch anything about the game at all, so it couldn't be helped.

cuc

Re:unable to run the game

First, AppLocale has a bug that can cause lots of headache. A third party tool, Locale Emulator works better.

Second, the problem is probably caused by the directory path of your game. When unpacked from the ZIP file you downloaded, you get a game folder that contains Japanese text in its name, which may screw things up if your system language is not Japanese. The same may happen if your game path includes characters that are outside of the usual ASCII range.

In short, the first solution you try should be renaming the game folder, ensuring the game path contains only basic symbols such as numericals, English letters and space.

At this point I'm shamelessly copypastaing more and more stuff from the Wiki. Story summary, shottypes, an interface explanation...I'll be sure to give them generous thanks somewhere in the post.

Touhou 14 Double Dealing Character |OT| My life got flipped turned upside-down

Touhou 14 Double Dealing Character |OT| retcarahC gnilaeD elbuoD

Touhou 14 Double Dealing Character |OT| Presented by Seija

Touhou 14 Double Dealing Character |OT| Impossible Spell Cards

There may be some character bias here.

I'll be honest though, if any character in DDC deserves bias, it's Seija.

Added most of the info I need, including some screenshots. Now I'm just formatting things. Will be sure to point out that there's the free demo can be downloaded from playism's site, so people can try the first 3 stages for free.

EDIT: Anyone know of any Touhou inspired fonts?

upandaway

Hoping to try it out tomorrow. Still bummed about the Japanese, hopefully they make some progress on that end in the future. I think an english manual PDF would be the bare minimum. Needing AppLocale is a bit insane too.

It's not gonna stop me though, that's for sure.

Scher

Well, this all seems so not stellar. If the game is still in Japanese, it kind of defeats the purpose of buying it through Playism when I already have the game in Japanese. I guess I'll buy it to at least help support the series in the west. Maybe if they release more of the games, they'll be able to get stuff translated to english. In the mean time, I can just play using my original copy along side everyone else!

Well, this all seems so not stellar. If the game is still in Japanese, it kind of defeats the purpose of buying it through Playism when I already have the game in Japanese. I guess I'll buy it to at least help support the series in the west. Maybe if they release more of the games, they'll be able to get stuff translated to english. In the mean time, I can just play using my original copy along side everyone else!

Yeah, it truly is a shame. I felt obligated to put a disclaimer early on in the OT (which is almost done, I still have to finish the FAQ and some minor stuff. I may add a link to a script or something as well.

microfolk

Hoping to try it out tomorrow. Still bummed about the Japanese, hopefully they make some progress on that end in the future. I think an english manual PDF would be the bare minimum. Needing AppLocale is a bit insane too.

It's not gonna stop me though, that's for sure.

Changing the directory's name seems to work fine, I don't understand why the didn't even change that for this release (cuc was saying on shrinemaiden that this is the exact same release as the japanese one?) but at least it's a better fix than resorting to use AppLocale or similar.

Evilisk

It looks a bit purplish to be blood. That may be my computer screen being faulty though

ULiL and LoLK demo have been released btw.

I would try the hell out of these demos if it my computer weren't bugged. It's been such a pain, can't play anything on it, I can't even use my usb's on it :/

Found a screenshot of the demo.

edit: this reddit page seems to have a bunch of info on it.

Surprisingly there's no fan art yet of her. However, I have not checked pixiv yet so it might have happened

There's already a bunch for yandere bunny though

ibyea

Banned
Surprisingly there's no fan art yet of her. However, I have not checked pixiv yet so it might have happened

There's already a bunch for yandere bunny though

Are you refering to the bunny with the bloody mallet? Because there is already plenty of those. ^_^

demidar

CEhzIJMUUAA8CH0.jpg

ZUN getting ready for distribution (of demo discs?). Courtesy of Reddit.

Evilisk

Are you refering to the bunny with the bloody mallet? Because there is already plenty of those. ^_^

Yeah I meant there's no fan art of the char in the new screenshot I quoted yet, but there's definitely already art of yandere bunny

LoLK Music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRlpYbrVt-Q

ULiL Kasen and Sumireko's themes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6IHjr8KWBI

Music links for anyone interested.

Sumireko's theme in particular is goddamned amazing IMO. Kasen's is just okay, better than Crimson in the Black Sea.

Ringo's theme has a halloween-ish feel to it, and my personal favourite themes are Doremy's theme and Stage 1 theme.

Sweet, gonna have to take a good listen to these.

Also as to the bolded, are you saying that Kasen has a theme that's not Rumble Temple? :O

So basically the new game mode for touhou 15 is basically like Super Meat Boy. You only have one life but you can restart at the frequent checkpoints indefinitely. Your score is rewound to the last checkpoint if you restart at that checkpoint. You don't get extra bombs on death (you will have whatever you had when you first arrived at the checkpoint) so if you ran out of bombs at the start of a boss fight you would have no bombs to use for that entire battle no matter how many resets you use up. Every new boss bullet pattern is a checkpoint in itself so you don't have to fight all the spellcards from the beginning if you die.

Sounds easy so far?

Well...
ZUN appear to decide to go crazy with the difficulty, now that death is less punishing. Many consider Lunatic level 3 to be as hard as past EX stages. Still, the good thing about fast restart is that you never felt discouraged. People might died 60 times to one spellcard, but everyone eventually figure a way out. I say the system is not easier, it just allows the players to improve faster. To be able to play the same spellcard over and over ago, with delay in mere seconds, means everyone can learn the tricks eventually. (Though how many total deaths is recorded in the highscores.)

It seems that is ZUN's answer for how to balance difficulty with approachable design for newcomers. The game is as hard as ever, but you no longer need to be good to get better. Even newbies would be able to learn the ropes now.

Just another thing. ZUN clearly realised that the old arcade life system that kills the player and force them to restart from scratch (thus earning more coins) doesn't really suit home gaming. Many in the game industry already figured it out separately. The old game mode is still there it is just optional now.

upandaway

@ new checkpoints: It's always been my dream to gather up and not use any bombs the entire run, just to unload on the final boss trigger happy. I'm definitely making it happen now.

Top Bottom