• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Touhou Community Thread | Highly Responsive to Posts

shockdude

On the bolded, I guess that'd make sense if the context was for a gag, but Marisa not recognizing Mamizou at all isn't played for humour. It's also worth noting that in her very first appearance, she uses the same disguise and Reimu doesn't recognize her at all until Mamizou formally introduces herself. There is a later example of the Kappa recognizing Mamizou when she sneaks into their hideout, but Nitori is pretty sure she went with an intentionally awful disguise in that case.

On the Touhou timeline, I've read that timeline page before lol. I can't believe it actually lines up with Forbidden Scrollery though. I didn't mention this in my post, but every new story/pair of chapters in FS usually explicitly shows which season the story takes place in.

As an example, Youkai Extermination December occurs right at the end of Autumn (the Aki sisters are shown dancing at the beginning, and Minoriko then starts to sneeze). Privately Published Night Parade Scroll occurs in Winter (Letty makes a cameo right at the start). And the last part I posted about begins with a Lily White cameo.

Still, I thought was just some visual flourish and I was also under the assumption things worked under cartoon time a la Simpsons or Sazae-san. The fact that they're not ageing physically even though time is actually, definitely passing, is really weird. I'd headcanon it as things physically ageing slower in Gensokyo but then I'm not sure how Sumireko would factor into things.
By "silliness" I'm referring to Mamizou's disguises being effective and played straight in-universe even though the illustrations show it's obviously Mamizou (tanuki leaf, :3 face, etc). These "effective" disguises appear multiple times throughout FS and every time I wonder how no one ever realizes it's Mamizou. But it's Gensokyo so lol.

Tbh "real-time" and "cartoon-time" are not mutually exclusive. Even though I personally think Touhou is entirely real-time, I also don't see anything wrong in thinking it's in a permanent state of timelessness.

Evilisk

By "silliness" I'm referring to Mamizou's disguises being effective and played straight in-universe even though the illustrations show it's obviously Mamizou (tanuki leaf, :3 face, etc). These "effective" disguises appear multiple times throughout FS and every time I wonder how no one ever realizes it's Mamizou. But it's Gensokyo so lol.

Tbh "real-time" and "cartoon-time" are not mutually exclusive. Even though I personally think Touhou is entirely real-time, I also don't see anything wrong in thinking it's in a permanent state of timelessness.

Ah that's what you mean

I was more considering the disguise from a story/writing perspective rather than an illustrative level. Personally, I'm not too bothered by it on a visual level. The main reason is that it's kind of hard to comment on without knowing how much of it is on ZUN or Harukawa Moe for those decisions.

Unlike the writing, which is 100% undiluted ZUN, it's rather hard to know if, for example, the obviousness was intentional to make it clear to readers it is Mamizou and if so, whose decision was that mostly. It could be ZUN leaving things up to Harukawa and believing in her artistic sense, or maybe it is ZUN just letting Harukawa having some creative freedom in her portrayal of Mamizou. It could also just ZUN not noticing some things (it's less likely but possible)

So yeah, unless it's on a writing level that Mamizou is noted to have a shoddy disguise (this is something that happens in a later chapter), I just assume she is using an effective disguise and that obviousness of her appearance is just for ease of reading.

Evilisk

^Above: sorry but I've never played that game before, so idk

Touhou Suzunan ~ Forbidden Scrollery
“The Inari’s Hood” (Ch 8 – 9)
G79ACQI.png

This was a weird chapter. It’s got a weird structure, where Kosuzu is used to contextualize what is essentially a solo Marisa story. Yet despite the focus on Marisa, she doesn’t really have a lot of agency in this story, with the story really being about the Evil Dragon (since Marisa just follows their lead, everything plays out according to the Dragon's plan and the Dragon is even responsible for the Inari Shrine that is the initial focus of this story). This wouldn’t necessarily be a bad thing if the Dragon was actually relevant to the overarching story of FS, but it’s weird because they’re just a throwaway youkai and probably aren’t coming back ever, which makes this pair of chapters feel a little pointless.

The only really relevant points (in regards to the overarching story of FS) are really Kosuzu's reaction to the Evil Dragon (which is that she's okay with the Evil Dragon being let go as long as she gets compensated too) and the way items can gain or lose magical power over time and that's it. I guess, the idea of the snake's regret making Reimu sick is interesting too, though I assume that's more of a general, Eastern/Japanese mythology thing (which I admit, I'm not terribly familiar with) rather than being a Touhou only thing.

I'm going to hold off on doing further chapters because of 13.5 and 14.5 (mostly the latter). I've actually completed both of those titles (even 1cc'd on Normal with several characters in both games). I just didn't actually use an English patch at the time, so I had no idea what exactly happened in those games from a story perspective.

14.5 is especially relevant to the FS chapters I'm actually caught up to, especially with its focus on urban legends so I really have to get to replaying ULiL with the English patch first.

upandaway

Someone sell me on Kobuto Burst V. Is it alright for a dollar store Shopkin-level Virtual On?
I haven't played it either but saw some twitter talk that it's decent. I don't know much more than that though

@Evilisk just wanted to say I don't have much to reply to your posts but I'm enjoying the impressions

shockdude

I'm going to hold off on doing further chapters because of 13.5 and 14.5 (mostly the latter). I've actually completed both of those titles (even 1cc'd on Normal with several characters in both games). I just didn't actually use an English patch at the time, so I had no idea what exactly happened in those games from a story perspective.

14.5 is especially relevant to the FS chapters I'm actually caught up to, especially with its focus on urban legends so I really have to get to replaying ULiL with the English patch first.
@Evilisk just wanted to say I don't have much to reply to your posts but I'm enjoying the impressions
Same here, the impressions are fun. The whole Evil Dragon thing is textbook Touhou goofiness.

Touhou 13.5 and 14.5's story modes are pretty good. I'm glad I waited until they were english-patched before I played them.

Evilisk

Some general 13.5 impressions. I already Normal 1cc'd the game while untranslated, and I've done a "story run" in English now. All that's left is 1cc'ing the game on Lunatic (when I get them all done, I can finally say I've technically fully Lunatic 1cc'd a Touhou game :p). So far I've got Reimu, Marisa, Miko, Futo, Kokoro, Koishi, Byakuren and Mamizou all down.

I'll have a "Story Impressions" post done alongside the HM-related chapter impressions in FS.

Characters:
-I'm not familiar with Buddhism, but the impression that I'm getting from this game is a terrible, terrible Buddhist.
-Conversely, Futo is way, way more affable than I ever expected. I also did not expect her to try and offer several of the youkai characters Taoism
-I loved that Miko was rather important to the plot in this game. Also her remixed theme is just godly in this game.
-Kokoro is surprisingly pretty powerful with her emotions ability. I also completely forgot about her skirt changing color. At the same time, I can't say I find her to be terribly interesting, especially compared to the other fighting game bosses (since compared to an Oni or a Celestial, she's *just* a youkai)
-I really don't see where the "Byakuren and Miko as Kokoro's parents" angle comes from in fanworks. Neither of those two feel particularly close to Kokoro at all. I guess in 14.5, Kokoro is shown visiting Miko for mask repairs, but I still don't understand how that became a thing.
-The addition of Nitori and the absence of any playable Moriyas are all questionable choices. Like, even to someone like me, whose first new Touhou release after joining was Double Dealing Character, I can see that the roster feels a little incomplete.

Gameplay
-Futo is probably still my favorite character to play as (in 13.5 at least). I just love how much fun she is to use. I don't quite like the changes they made to her in 14.5
-I've tried 14.5 and, while I thought the tighter jumping there was a good change, I'm starting to prefer 13.5's system. I also like being able to customize your special moves and spellcards in 13.5.
-Lunatic difficulty feels ridiculously unbalanced. Some characters are just a complete cakewalk while other characters (mostly any character that has to fight Reimu in their Story route) just have a ridiculously hard time.
-Also I just want to mention that the Lunatic version of that Reimu spellcard (where the two projectiles will go past the screen) is ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. I can't believe that you can't graze those projectiles and that you're still expected to deal with a Lunatic level AI that's blasting projectiles everywhere.

Music
-I still like the soundtrack for this game. As mentioned before, Miko's theme is a massive improvement over the original. But Reimu, Marisa, Nitori and Mamizou all have excellent arrangements too
-The original music is pretty great too. There's a very different feel to the original music compared to the past fighting games that I really enjoy.
-I still dislike Kokoro's theme, but I'm starting to think it's mostly due to the weird instrumentation used in her 13.5 theme.

EDITED: Decided not to double post

So a new chapter of Wild and Horned Hermit was released, mostly about the aftermath of Hidden Star in Four Seasons.

I hope we get to see more of Aunn, she's too cute to be a one-off character. I also wonder if we'll be seeing more of Okina in the future, considering
it seems like Kasen is well-acquainted with her, what with them being youkai sages and all.
Hopefully this will lead to some exciting plot developments, mostly just because I like Okina's design.

Now that I think about it, every new character from HSiFS is pretty cute in their own way.

Evilisk

I think Captain Rage Quit 69 was talking about "more of Aunn" in official works. There's no doubt that Aunn's popular with the fans though. I think she might even be the most popular at the moment (speaking of which, I should really do a post on how the cast of HSiFS has been recieved)

I am pretty confident Okina is going to pop up in more official works though. I actually hope that she gets put into a fighting game ASAP since there are a lot of relevant characters Okina could interact with (e.g. Miko, Byakuren, Kokoro, Kasen, Sumireko etc.)

EDIT: Unrelated but I've finally cleared HM on one credit and Lunatic difficulty with all characters! Seriously though, screw that Fantastic High Speed Prayer Talisman spellcard. I've wasted so many runs because of that one phase.

Now that gaf's up I just wanna say it's been a lot of fun chatting here. It was great to have a space on gaf for Touhou, regardless of how underappreciated it is around these parts. Whether some of you are going to nuke yourselves or just not coming back, I want to say my farewells. It's been fun, and I hope Antinomy of Common Flowers is a fun game!

I still think Gensokyo Past and Present is a great song, see me in soku

upandaway

I'll be gone too but still check PMs for a couple of days if anyone wants to trade twitters or something let me know.

Hoping to see you guys in discord or that supposed new forum! This happened just before I bought some new touhou doujins and games I wanted to post about :(

Evilisk

Yeah I'm doing the same. I just don't like the direction this forum is taking.

I do just want to say;
As someone that only got into Touhou about 3/4 years ago, I really did appreciate this community thread popping up. GAF doesn't seem interested in this series at all, and MoTK always came off as a bit too intimidating and slow for me (even though I still lurk there). You guys have all been cool, and it's been fun to talk about Touhou and have people listen to the silly impressions of a Touhou newbie like myself.

It's been a real pleasure, and yeah, I hope we meet again, wherever we happen to go to.

Evilisk

Oh heck yeah, if y'all want to hit me up on Discord just quote to reveal my Discord name.

Maybe we could meet up again in the r/touhou server or whatever :)

Oh you're still here? In that case, Lovely Mound of Cherry Blossoms is the better Yuuka theme :p

(I saw that post in the other thread and figured you weren't long for GAF)

I might make an r/touhou account later, thanks for the offer! (I gotta go irl now).

Adaren

I never got involved in the Touhou community on GAF, but I'm actually a pretty dedicated player. Shmups might be my favorite single genre of game; I love how the simple actions of moving and shooting create such deep and challenging gameplay.

I always appreciated how Touhou GAF showed a deep love for the game without dipping into the...seedier side of the fanbase. While I love Touhou (characters, music, gameplay, visuals), I loathe how juvenile perversion often dominates fanbase discussions (looking at you, /r/touhou).

Thankfully, that sort of discussion never happened on GAF. So wherever we go from here, thanks for providing me plenty of wholesome Touhou discussion posts to read over the years!

demidar

Much like a lot of people here, I'm gonna peace out until either Gaf dies or changes leadership. Anyway you guys are cool, if anyone wants to keep in touch my Discord is demidar#3920.

Maybe we'll meet again if ResetERA gets their shit together. *salute*

MKIL65

Yeah, I'm also done with GAF. Surprisingly haven't been banned yet, even though I told Evilore to GO FUCK HIMSELF.

Oh well, see you at ERA.

Zweizer

Banned
This will be my last message in this thread.

It had been a fun ride that lasted more than three years, and the community here has been wonderful. I don't regret interacting with you all, but I do wish the forum was in better hands.

Thanks all. May those remaining either enjoy their time here, if it's their decision, or move on and find a better home.

Zweizer out.

jjasso21

This is actually pretty nice. Instead of messing around with various emulators, I can just play it off of Steam. I'll purchase it for $-10 depending upon the game.

LordGek

Touhou Genso: Wanderer Reloaded soon.

So did you get it? While I'm not a fan of the Touhou Universe, I'm SOOOOO addicted to this game! While not an official Chunsoft Mystery Dungeon game, I've never seen a non-Chunsoft game so closely follow and even improve on the Shiren the Wanderer mechanics.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
So did you get it? While I'm not a fan of the Touhou Universe, I'm SOOOOO addicted to this game! While not an official Chunsoft Mystery Dungeon game, I've never seen a non-Chunsoft game so closely follow and even improve on the Shiren the Wanderer mechanics.
Nope. I have too much of a backlog rn and games keep coming. Glad you are enjoying it though!

Top Bottom