• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trauma Team |OT| Surgery Isn't the Only Game in This Town

Ookami-kun said:
I thought the weakest is the first game... XD
Under the Knife/Second Opinion suffers from having far too many GUILT operations. But I still think that's preferable compared to UtK2's ridiculous "blow into the microphone while performing surgery" gimmick. Also, I remember almost nothing about UtK2 except for the fact that it had Derek and Angie in it.

darkwings

Banned
This game is awesome! It feels like they finally empathized a good story this time around and thank god they strayed away from that stupid alien virus.

Why so few posts :/

MechaX

Aeana said:
You can lessen the amount of pushing/pulling by setting the camera sensitivity by pressing 1 on the Wii remote during endoscopy.

I'm definitely going to try this out when I'm doing the next back of Endoscopy missions (after I play a bit more of Infinite Space).

Ookami-kun said:
I thought the weakest is the first game... XD

Yeah... Even though I already covered a lot of my thoughts on the first game already, at least Second Opinion's controls are a lot better (although, doing Healing Touch on the Wii is more frustrating than drawing a star should ever be). Under the Knife 1 just rubbed me entirely the wrong way with it's shitty graphics, bad music (quality), horrendous difficulty spikes combined with piles and piles of GUILT missions, absolutely shitty character designs, and finicky controls that fails to recognize basic motions at some points. If it were not for Second Opinion and Under the Knife 2, I would have given up on the franchise based on the first game alone.

RocketDarkness said:
Under the Knife/Second Opinion suffers from having far too many GUILT operations. But I still think that's preferable compared to UtK2's ridiculous "blow into the microphone while performing surgery" gimmick. Also, I remember almost nothing about UtK2 except for the fact that it had Derek and Angie in it.

Wait.. Didn't that microphone gimmick show up in one Neo-GUILT mission (which was also the third to last operation) and maybe like, one-two other missions besides that?

MechaX said:
I'm definitely going to try this out when I'm doing the next back of Endoscopy missions (after I play a bit more of Infinite Space).

Yeah... Even though I already covered a lot of my thoughts on the first game already, at least Second Opinion's controls are a lot better (although, doing Healing Touch on the Wii is more frustrating than drawing a star should ever be). Under the Knife 1 just rubbed me entirely the wrong way with it's shitty graphics, bad music (quality), horrendous difficulty spikes combined with piles and piles of GUILT missions, absolutely shitty character designs, and finicky controls that fails to recognize basic motions at some points. If it were not for Second Opinion and Under the Knife 2, I would have given up on the franchise based on the first game alone.

Wait.. Didn't that microphone gimmick show up in one Neo-GUILT mission (which was also the third to last operation) and maybe like, one-two other missions besides that?
Yes, but it's telling that it's one of the only things I remember about my time with it.

Just finished Hank's part of the story. Damn if that was timed I think I would've been screwed.

So far I've finished CR-S01, Maria, and Hank. I was working on Gabriel earlier but I couldn't figure out what to do next.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I really don't think it much as a GotY imo. New Blood is still better than this, gameplay wise.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Pushing through Second Opinion and just hit Chapter 5(wanna finish it before Team). My major hurdle so far has been the damn thorns and triangles operation. I know there is some pattern to taking out the thorns and triangle so they don't replicate but after dozens of attempts I still couldn't figure it out. I eventually just activated Healing Touch and pulled everything at the start in slo-mo before anything had the chance to replicate. Got an S-rank for that, but I felt really crappy about not 'solving' that little puzzle properly.

Does this shit return in Trauma Team and/or other entries?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Brandon F said:
Pushing through Second Opinion and just hit Chapter 5(wanna finish it before Team). My major hurdle so far has been the damn thorns and triangles operation. I know there is some pattern to taking out the thorns and triangle so they don't replicate but after dozens of attempts I still couldn't figure it out. I eventually just activated Healing Touch and pulled everything at the start in slo-mo before anything had the chance to replicate. Got an S-rank for that, but I felt really crappy about not 'solving' that little puzzle properly.

Does this shit return in Trauma Team and/or other entries?

No, thankfully.

But here's an easy way.

HT.

Pull all thorns as quick as you can.

KNIFE KNIFE KNIFE KNIFE KNIFE

PULL PULL PULL PULL PULL PULL.

Done.

Or try to do it the non-HT way of working lower right to upper left.

Ceebs

Having to play through all of endoscopy is killing this game for me. I have finished almost all the other sections up to the locked points. I absolutely hate those segments yet are forced to do every one of them. How anyone thought they were fun is a mystery to me.

Aeana

Ceebs said:
Having to play through all of endoscopy is killing this game for me. I have finished almost all the other sections up to the locked points. I absolutely hate those segments yet are forced to do every one of them. How anyone thought they were fun is a mystery to me.
I don't find them to be that bad, but they are my least-favorite part. Setting yourself up so you had to do several in a row probably wasn't a good idea! *continues pimping her left-to-right, row-by-row play method for maximum variety!*

kiryogi

Banned
Just finished it. Wow bring on Trauma Team 2 if anything. (Hope it sells decent) And despite earlier complaints, I completely support Aeana's thoughts on it being pretty down to earth. This fact alone really made it a ton more enjoyable than previous Trauma games. (screw GUILT, Stigma and related) Although the difficulty was nowhere near as challenging or stressing in comparison. Not sure how much what else I can say for now. I want to write more but may need more time to gather thoughts, that or I may end up saying nothing at all. Besides the fact that this was indeed one amazing game.

One quick bit of opinion though. The parts I loved the most, also involved the characters I enjoyed the most as well. Gabe and Naomi (Plus their counterparts of RONI and Little Guy) were the stars of the game to me.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Aeana said:
*continues pimping her left-to-right, row-by-row play method for maximum variety!*
I noticed that going left to right doesn't necessarily guarantee chronological progression. A Diagnosis -> Surgery bit comes to mind.

kiryogi said:
One quick bit of opinion though. The parts I loved the most, also involved the characters I enjoyed the most as well. Gabe and Naomi (Plus their counterparts of RONI and Little Guy) were the stars of the game to me.
They could seriously expand those sections and make a stand-alone medical detective game in the style of a Phoenix Wright.

Boss Doggie

Anyone thought the ending was a bit teary eyed? But the seventh doctor thing was a bit of a lame cheese XD

Aeana

XiaNaphryz said:
I noticed that going left to right doesn't necessarily guarantee chronological progression. A Diagnosis -> Surgery bit comes to mind..
No, sometimes it's not entirely chronological, but everything on the same row seems to take place in the same general time period.

kiryogi

Banned
Ookami-kun said:
Anyone thought the ending was a bit teary eyed? But the seventh doctor thing was a bit of a lame cheese XD

I was pretty happy for Naomi. She given a new chance at life and her expression was really speechless. The song was pretty touching, I really didn't expect that. But I didn't follow any of the interviews from the website. Meanwhile the 7th doctor thing. I either saw it was us or Derek. It put a little grin on my face when it turned out it was one of those thanking the player deals. Although, I wish they did explain how Naomi contracted Rosalia. I mean I have an idea. I assume it's from Chloe's scratch. Also, they didn't explain how and why Satrye ended up in Portland. (And near Alyssa's place?)

TheSeks

Aeana said:
No, sometimes it's not entirely chronological, but everything on the same row seems to take place in the same general time period.

Doing events/non ops before the actual ops helps in not screwing/ruining the surprise of the time line, IMO.

Ceebs said:

I don't find them to be bad. They're just kinda long and the tool selection is clunky.

GIVE ME BACK MY TRAUMA CENTER: NEW BLOOD TOOL-INSTA-SELECT, YOU BASTARDS! ARGHARGHARGHARGHARGH

Oh, other than that: I like Naomi and the Cowboy Bebop dude's segments, but they aren't Trauma Center/Team. Make them an offshoot a la Phoenix Wright on the DS and I'd be Day one on those, but I want to do OPERATIONS. I don't want to do text-adventures. :/ *sigh* I'll still do them, gotta finish Naomi's first one still. About done with it, but it's taken me about 2-3 hours to go through it (yes, I'm slow).

kiryogi

Banned
I love they they offered both and I figured that there would be a divide with TC fans on these new additions. There's personal bias from me since I do really love text adventures. So Diagnostics and Forensics was extremely enjoyable to me. Now the other note... That endoscopy. I don't completely hate it and it clicked a bit for me once I figured out the controls with the toggle and all. But I think if they really had incorporated Motion Plus for this and the saw Orthopedics section, I would have had no complaints about this game at all.

On another note though. I love how much Masayuki Doi has evolved his style since Second Opinion. Naomi is a clear indication of this. Originally when I first saw Second Opinion, I almost thought that Kaneko was behind it or something. But having gone thru New Blood and UtK2, Doi's come along way to defining his own style.

Now for a little love. This soundtrack is seriously outstanding. :D

Forensics summation theme.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB6C7ajSihE

So no one has any ideas about the actors at all? We know the ladies, and we figured CR is Nolan. Do we know if Gabe is Crispin Freeman? Or maybe Steve Blum? XD I know Little Guy is Yuri Lowenthrall though.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
kiryogi said:
I love they they offered both and I figured that there would be a divide with TC fans on these new additions. There's personal bias from me since I do really love text adventures. So Diagnostics and Forensics was extremely enjoyable to me. Now the other note... That endoscopy. I don't completely hate it and it clicked a bit for me once I figured out the controls with the toggle and all. But I think if they really had incorporated Motion Plus for this and the saw Orthopedics section, I would have had no complaints about this game at all.

Now for a little love. This soundtrack is seriously outstanding. :D

Forensics summation theme.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB6C7ajSihE

So no one has any ideas about the actors at all? We know the ladies, and we figured CR is Nolan. Do we know if Gabe is Crispin Freeman? Or maybe Steve Blum? XD I know Little Guy is Yuri Lowenthrall though.

Gabe apparently is Patrick Seitz, or at least that's the impression I got from the videos.

kiryogi

Banned
bernardobri said:
Gabe apparently is Patrick Seitz, or at least that's the impression I got from the videos.
Hah awesome. Checked and I guess his wiki mentions that as well. Ace job by him! Actually one of the ladies that wasn't blatantly mentioned tho... Who did RONI? XD

Looking @ the JP Site now. Like the cover, the jp website is also much better in terms of design appeal IMO. But haha figures that Keiji Fujiwara voices Gabe, it's so fitting.

kiryogi

Banned
RocketDarkness said:
Man, this song gives me some fantastically terrible memories. The soundtrack was fantastic as usual.

Haha it is indeed so good. I really loved how dark things were, as tragic as it all have may been. Even though you go in when they're already dead. Learning how they got there was extremely painful for me. Well, the first mission wasn't really all that tragic, but every single one after was.
Well wait Albert's really wasn't all that tragic to me either
The truth hurts. D:

Boss Doggie

kiryogi said:
I was pretty happy for Naomi. She given a new chance at life and her expression was really speechless. The song was pretty touching, I really didn't expect that. But I didn't follow any of the interviews from the website. Meanwhile the 7th doctor thing. I either saw it was us or Derek. It put a little grin on my face when it turned out it was one of those thanking the player deals. Although, I wish they did explain how Naomi contracted Rosalia. I mean I have an idea. I assume it's from Chloe's scratch. Also, they didn't explain how and why Satrye ended up in Portland. (And near Alyssa's place?)

As far as I recall she contracted Rosalia while investigating on Rosalia's corpse.

kiryogi

Banned
Ookami-kun said:
As far as I recall she contracted Rosalia while investigating on Rosalia's corpse.

That'd be the other reason. Especially being exposed to those flowers. But I think they had a bit emphasis on the scratch Chloe made. And Chloe did swallow something back then too. Although no inflamations like the 2nd time. Though what's not supporting this is that they don't show the scratch becoming a black bruise or something. I was totally expecting that, but they didn't decided not to go that route.

On another note.
I rewatched the prologue and it makes SO much more sense now. It's like wow. lightbulb!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Will I be totally confused if I get into this game before playing previous Trauma Centers?

It's too late already since I bought it on an impulse, but still.

kiryogi

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
Will I be totally confused if I get into this game before playing previous Trauma Centers?

It's too late already since I bought it on an impulse, but still.

Nope. As Aeana mentioned, the only relation this game has involves one of the chars. Even with that said, it's very slight. You wouldn't have had any idea of the correlation if you haven't played the other titles. It's a very stand alone title.

Boss Doggie

There's really no need to play the original games, but if you wanna fully enjoy cameos...

SPOILERS

Naomi Kimishima was originally a surgeon in Japan, but was disallowed to perform any surgery due to her Healing Touch. In order to get back at them, she worked with the group researching and developing the GUILT parasite. There she met "Little Guy" who soon became her trusted sidekick. Along the way, she met with Derek Styles, the protagonist of Trauma Center Under the Knife/Second Opinion, and soon she became friends with him and thus decided not to help the GUILT researchers.

Little Guy becomes her assistant in this game, and Derek occasionally makes a cameo (thankfully because Little Guy is also voiced by Derek's VA).

kiryogi said:
That'd be the other reason. Especially being exposed to those flowers. But I think they had a bit emphasis on the scratch Chloe made. And Chloe did swallow something back then too. Although no inflamations like the 2nd time. Though what's not supporting this is that they don't show the scratch becoming a black bruise or something. I was totally expecting that, but they didn't decided not to go that route.

On another note.
I rewatched the prologue and it makes SO much more sense now. It's like wow. lightbulb!

But wouldn't Chloe have Rosalia too if that's the case?

Ookami-kun said:
There's really no need to play the original games, but if you wanna fully enjoy cameos...

SPOILERS

Naomi Kimishima was originally a surgeon in Japan, but was disallowed to perform any surgery due to her Healing Touch. In order to get back at them, she worked with the group researching and developing the GUILT parasite. There she met "Little Guy" who soon became her trusted sidekick. Along the way, she met with Derek Styles, the protagonist of Trauma Center Under the Knife/Second Opinion, and soon she became friends with him and thus decided not to help the GUILT researchers.

Little Guy becomes her assistant in this game, and Derek occasionally makes a cameo (thankfully because Little Guy is also voiced by Derek's VA).

But wouldn't Chloe have Rosalia too if that's the case?

Chloe didn't swallow the bones until they arrived at the hospital with Gabe, so there's no way the scratch caused it. And Chloe did have Rosalia, don't you remember treating it as Tomoe?

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Brandon F said:
the damn thorns and triangles operation
Oh God, my blood pressure goes up just thinking about Triti. :lol

So, I just picked up Trauma Team today... I'm doing the left-to-right progression through everyone's tracks, and it's been cool so far sampling all of the new game modes (never played any of the popular text adventures like Phoenix Wright, so the Diagnostics and Forensics missions in particular are fresh to me), though I'm kind of itching to get to the first Surgery mission. Endoscopy is really throwing me off because I'm not used to hitting C to toggle the tool wheel. Kinda wish it was hold down to switch...

Good to hear that the more down to earth nature of the story makes it more affecting, but I'm glad there's still weird/awesome stuff like superheroes and ninja vanishing butlers in the game.

Think I'm about done with Gabe's row. Just have to watch the event. Very moving.

I'm really impressed by the story and characters in this game. I don't remember this level of depth in the other games.

kiryogi

Banned
RocketDarkness said:
Chloe didn't swallow the bones until they arrived at the hospital with Gabe, so there's no way the scratch caused it. And Chloe did have Rosalia, don't you remember treating it as Tomoe?

I dunno about that, we have no idea what she swallowed in the first place during the first/second scenario, that and there were two pieces. One that was deeper than the other, which could have been the first thing she swallowed. Not to mention Rosalia takes sometime before it gets prominent, hence there wasn't any real reaction at first.

XiaNaphryz

TheSeks said:
Oh, other than that: I like Naomi and the Cowboy Bebop dude's segments, but they aren't Trauma Center/Team. Make them an offshoot a la Phoenix Wright on the DS and I'd be Day one on those, but I want to do OPERATIONS. I don't want to do text-adventures. :/ *sigh*
2m29lzd.gif

XiaNaphryz

After unexpectedly going through at least half of the game this past weekend, maybe I can finish it up tonight. :lol

New avatar due to the awesomeness of the game.

JKTrix

Mo the Hawk said:
I will own this game on Tuesday!

Also: last bastion against this |OT| madness

I was avoiding posting in here so that it would remain that way for just a little while longer :(

kiryogi said:
Hah awesome. Checked and I guess his wiki mentions that as well. Ace job by him! Actually one of the ladies that wasn't blatantly mentioned tho... Who did RONI? XD

I thought she sounded like Rachael Lillis.

Boss Doggie

I thought RONI was done by GLADos's VA

RocketDarkness said:

Oh right, forgot about that XP

XiaNaphryz

Finished the game last night. I hope a sequel's in the works using the same crew.

And to those worrying about crazy super-viruses, no need to worry at all. It's primarily a plot device, and nowhere near as crazy as in previous games - this game does a better attempt at trying to make things at least somewhat plausible.

TheSeks

XiaNaphryz said:
http://i34.tinypic.com/2m29lzd.gif

Volcynika said:
I agree with this.

Sorry? When I think "Trauma (blank)" I think "doing operations with insane time limits and having to be quick precise. I don't think "text adventure a la Phoenix Wright point-and-click to get everything."

They're nice diversions, but I want more operations a la Endoscopy/Surgery/Orthopedics than these. Just my personal gameplay preference.

And speaking of which... I'm completely stumped on what to do next in Naomi's second storyline.

I found out the victim's identity and started to combine cards
. Naomi doesn't give me a hint of what to do next, one of the cards is "maybe I should further examine the body..." but Naomi says there is nothing to find there, along with personal effects and the crime scene. Combining cards doesn't give me anything further and Little Guy is still analyzing something.

What am I supposed to do? I just need a push, not a complete spoiler.

TheSeks

fernoca said:
Ask Little Guy for help, he can analyze more than one thing at a time.. :p

I've tried that. It doesn't seem to give me anything further, and asking him for help doesn't seem to work either. I'm at a complete dead end with no hint at what pushes the story forward.

XiaNaphryz

TheSeks said:
Sorry? When I think "Trauma (blank)" I think "doing operations with insane time limits and having to be quick precise. I don't think "text adventure a la Phoenix Wright point-and-click to get everything."
It's Trauma Team, the team part implying that there's more to do than just operations. And Atlus has given months and months of previews, articles, and videos on what'll be involved with the game. There was plenty of information out there to research what you were getting into with this one.

And if you're stuck on something in Forensics, Naomi will usually give you a clue on what's left to do, i.e. if you're examining the corpse, personal effects, or crime scene she'll say whether you've gotten everything or if there's something you may have missed.

If you've gotten everything possible, then that just means you've missed a card combination or not dropped a card to Little Guy to analyze. The card descriptions should give a hint on what's needed to do with it (either analyze or combo it). Once you've gotten all the cards from the various areas and done everything possible with the cards and back out to the room, the scenario will advance.

TheSeks

XiaNaphryz said:
It's Trauma Team, the team part implying that there's more to do than just operations. And Atlus has given months and months of previews, articles, and videos on what'll be involved with the game. There was plenty of information out there to research what you were getting into with this one.

I know. I still don't think it fits the game. But that's just me.

And if you're stuck on something in Forensics, Naomi will usually give you a clue on what's left to do, i.e. if you're examining the corpse, personal effects, or crime scene she'll say whether you've gotten everything or if there's something you may have missed.

If you've gotten everything possible, then that just means you've missed a card combination or not dropped a card to Little Guy to analyze. The card descriptions should give a hint on what's needed to do with it (either analyze or combo it). Once you've gotten all the cards from the various areas and done everything possible with the cards and back out to the room, the scenario will advance.

I've tried combining all the cards and analyzing everything. Little Guy is analyzing one of the cards, but won't do anything with the others. It's really :| as I have tried everything I can think of and it won't move me forward. Naomi doesn't even say anything unless you go to the computer and it's "lets try to combine cards" which won't even combine anymore as I have about 6 cards now.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Popped this in out of curiosity while I am still working to finish Second Opinion before diving in.

The presentation is astounding and a nice step up over SO, not surprised the Persona guy had a hand in it. I only did the first operation and found it weird that they release the Nolan North's guy from prison to do what seems to be a routine operation...but I assume it will make more sense later.

Nice little Wiineaisance we have had lately I gotta say.

TheSeks said:
I know. I still don't think it fits the game. But that's just me.

I've tried combining all the cards and analyzing everything. Little Guy is analyzing one of the cards, but won't do anything with the others. It's really :| as I have tried everything I can think of and it won't move me forward. Naomi doesn't even say anything unless you go to the computer and it's "lets try to combine cards" which won't even combine anymore as I have about 6 cards now.
Recorder?

XiaNaphryz

TheSeks said:
If you've tried every possible card combination, then you're missing cards. Go back and look around the recorder/corpse/personal effects/crime scene.

Brandon F said:
Popped this in out of curiosity while I am still working to finish Second Opinion before diving in.

The presentation is astounding and a nice step up over SO, not surprised the Persona guy had a hand in it. I only did the first operation and found it weird that they release the Nolan North's guy from prison to do what seems to be a routine operation...but I assume it will make more sense later.
You may want to try playing the game in a more chronological order than by character (levels on the same horizontal line occur roughly in the same time frame).

Top Bottom