• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trauma Team |OT| Surgery Isn't the Only Game in This Town

My copy arrived today and I played for an hour or so tonight. First impressions are great! I've played all of the Trauma Center games and, although this is completely different (in a good way) in terms of presentation, the gameplay is as great as ever. Looking forward to spending a lot more time with this :)

I played a few of the first characters episodes and a couple of the seconds. What way has GAF been playing this - do one character then move onto the next or move between them?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
JustAnotherOtaku said:
My copy arrived today and I played for an hour or so tonight. First impressions are great! I've played all of the Trauma Center games and, although this is completely different (in a good way) in terms of presentation, the gameplay is as great as ever. Looking forward to spending a lot more time with this :)

I played a few of the first characters episodes and a couple of the seconds. What way has GAF been playing this - do one character then move onto the next or move between them?
In general, go horizontal from each line left to right. In any one given line, I believe the Diagnosis potion would happen earliest, so if you're trying to play in chronological order you may want to do the diagnosis bit first for a particular line, then go left to right after that.

About to start
Patient Zero
. This has been one great ride so far. I really feel like this has the best story in the series. Maybe the focus on other characters and aspects of doctoring is the reason for that but either way. I hope we get another game like this. Hopefully SMG2 doesn't completely kill sales of the game.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Ceebs said:
I guess I am the only one that skips all the intro cut scenes. They move way to slow for my tastes.

I also dislike how the new scenes are made. I wish you could skip the dialog by pressing A.

Aeana

I love the way the story scenes look a lot. It's a pretty good way to do it considering the low budget. I also found the story in the game quite interesting, so I'm glad I didn't skip them.

Prax

I am all for a Trauma Team sequel!

That was awesome to watch (lol.. I watched my brother and sister play mostly--although I DID help with the diagnostics and forensics sections!--and i did like.. 5 minutes of orthopedics or something).

kiryogi

Banned
Aeana said:
I love the way the story scenes look a lot. It's a pretty good way to do it considering the low budget. I also found the story in the game quite interesting, so I'm glad I didn't skip them.
But is it possibly the highest budget of all the Trauma titles?

Well, I finished what I could of Tomoe's story. That last case was interesting...
using the endoscope to search for victims & Gabriel in the bus wreckage

I also finished Naomi's first case. Wow, I wasn't expecting point-and-click. I lost all the hearts over time, but good thing I saved. I was stumped a lot but I did good at the memorization quizzes.

Best Trauma game yet, keep it up Atlus!

Aeana

kiryogi said:
But is it possibly the highest budget of all the Trauma titles?
I'm sure it is. But they obviously weren't very high budget to begin with. The alternative to what's in the game is fully animated scenes, which would obviously cost a lot more.

XiaNaphryz

Aeana said:
I'm sure it is. But they obviously weren't very high budget to begin with. The alternative to what's in the game is fully animated scenes, which would obviously cost a lot more.
They're certainly an improvement over just static talking heads. I enjoyed them fine.

Boss Doggie

Eh, I prefer the static talking heads. At least you can skip their dialog, and well, they actually speak straightforward instead of having awkward pauses.

I am sitting in a room in the hospital waiting to go under the knife - and reporting it in a thread about cutting open people :(

damn this shit aint fun waiting on.

I hope these doctors did not train using Wiimotes :D

I'll be home later today its minor surgery to put a port in since my veins suck and need blood transfusions often

XiaNaphryz

Smiles and Cries said:
I am sitting in a room in the hospital waiting to go under the knife - and reporting it in a thread about cutting open people :(

damn this shit aint fun waiting on.

I hope these doctors did not train using Wiimotes :D

I'll be home later today its minor surgery to put a port in since my veins suck and need blood transfusions often
As long as Dr. Vinny Caravella isn't involved, you'll be fine.

Boss Doggie

You know, I just realized...

People complain about the older game's "unrealism" but this game has ninja butlers, supermen, and long-lasting sentences.

Coxswain

I played through the first few stages with each character; I probably won't really get back to the game for a while, considering how many games I'm juggling at the moment.

I still think straight-up surgery is kinda shitty on the Wii Trauma games compared to the DS titles, but I was kind of pleasantly surprised how much they managed to minimize the parts that I just don't think work very well, considering three of the characters are doing something completely different, and of the remaining two, one is low-precision with a fast pace, and the other is at a fixed pace and relies more on being steady than overly precise. The whole presentation of the game is definitely cool, and following the same patients through multiple stages is a nice touch.

The game does get unbearably difficult to play whenever Tomoe is on screen, though. I don't mean endoscopy, but I've had at least three incidents so far where the only thing stopping my Wii remote from flying through my TV has been the cord anchoring it to the nunchuk. God, what an infuriatingly shitty pile of cliches. Still, other than that, it's a pretty awesome game so far. I'm glad I didn't let my overwhelming hate for Second Opinion keep me away from it.

XiaNaphryz

Coxswain said:
The game does get unbearably difficult to play whenever Tomoe is on screen, though. I don't mean endoscopy, but I've had at least three incidents so far where the only thing stopping my Wii remote from flying through my TV has been the cord anchoring it to the nunchuk. God, what an infuriatingly shitty pile of cliches. Still, other than that, it's a pretty awesome game so far. I'm glad I didn't let my overwhelming hate for Second Opinion keep me away from it.
Tomoe is awesome you heathen. :mad:

2z4h24z.png

Just beat it. Story-wise, it's easily the best in the series. I will say I missed having to deal with a super virus for the majority of the game but dealing with real aliments was nice too. Overall, I'd probably rank the series NB>this>UtK>UtK2>SO.

I'd definitely be up for a sequel.

XiaNaphryz

Coxswain said:
She's a carbon copy of a Star Ocean 4 character.
Being a ninja endoscopist with a ninja English butler automatically negates her cliched character development backstory and pushes her into awesomeness.

Nemesis_

Tomoe would be my most hated character if the main surgeon CS or whatever wasn't such a dark and brooding emo. Tomoe just annoys me.

BTW, is the main surgeon voiced by Nolan North?

XiaNaphryz

Nemesis556 said:
Tomoe would be my most hated character if the main surgeon CS or whatever wasn't such a dark and brooding emo. Tomoe just annoys me.

BTW, is the main surgeon voiced by Nolan North?
You're also going on the list! :mad:

Hank was by far the most annoying. Main surgeon dude at least wasn't so bad after he recovered his memory.

Volcynika

Co-op is hilarious on this :lol

My friend cracked some jokes where I kept on laughing and couldn't do a straight line with the scalpel :lol "STOP LAUGHING, LIVES ARE AT STAKE"

Boss Doggie

XiaNaphryz said:
You're also going on the list! :mad:

Hank was by far the most annoying. Main surgeon dude at least wasn't so bad after he recovered his memory.

No u.

He's one of the rare "manly" characters in an Atlus made game!

Aeana

I liked all of the characters. Tomoe may have been my least favorite, just because I kind of find her character type a bit boring, but even then I don't dislike her. Naomi is, without a doubt, my favorite though.

MechaX

Completed the game with about 30 hours on the clock. That's definitely longer than I expected the game to be (and it marks the second Trauma game that I've seen the credits for!). In total, this game is right behind Mass Effect 2 for my most enjoyable gaming experience of the year thus far. It does what the prior Trauma games did rather well in terms of surgery without the random difficulty spikes while introducing new mechanics that work out quite well (for the most part). If I would have to rank the different doctors, I would do it as such...

Diagnosis > Forensics > Surgery = First Response > Orthopedics > Endoscopy

While it was most likely due to Dr. Cunningham being fucking awesome, I really dug the Diagnosis sections. Most of them were frighteningly realistic and it was easy for me to become sucked into the experience. Too bad Diagnosis missions are the less frequent of the game.

Given my love for Ace Attorney or basic adventure-novel games in general, I'm not too surprised that Forensics ended up pretty high on my list. Naomi as a character is pretty compelling and interesting to follow and a lot of the elements in her sections were A LOT darker than I expected. This includes
Veronica's pretty sad death and how she tried to scratch through her locked door to the point of tearing her nails off, Alma's entire story, and the near-murder of Alyssa.
Despite some certain instances, Naomi's sections are still fairly grounded in reality, which threw me off at some points where I was expecting Ace Attorney-levels of insane cases and murders. With that said, Forensics still falls prey to some rather common adventure game problems (mostly cases where trial and error/trying every card combination is the only way for Naomi to proceed, in which she reaches a conclusion you already knew). I loved the Policenauts moment with
the bomb diffusions. I liked that unlike Policenauts, there was no time limit so you actually have an incentive to solve the four puzzles yourself. I hated that unlike Policenauts, the game does not give you a very good explanation on what wire to cut and there's no checkpoint.

Surgery is pretty much basic Trauma Center stuff.
In regards to super viruses, I liked the implications of the Rosalia viruses, but the final battle was much less epic than Under the Knife 2's Aletheia or SO's Savato with the exception of the music.
First Response was a pretty good twist on surgery stuff. When considering that 90% of the surgeries in this game do not have time limits, First Response was the style that really introduced a sense of pressure on the player (especially in the later missions where you start getting 5+ patients). CR-S01 was pretty cool and Maria was essentially Doctor Chie Satonaka.

Orthopedics... Eh. Not quite stellar, but not bad by any means. I was usually neutral to these sections so they were pretty Rock Solid.

I hated Endoscopy. Hated, hated, HATED it. I have no problems with Tomoe with the exception that she is dreadfully boring compared to everyone else ("blah blah HONOR blah..." sums up her entire character from start to finish). But the gameplay itself was like Atlus decided to try to channel bad Wii shovelware titles in terms of controls. Despite how I never had a problem switching tools anywhere else, there was always a problem for me getting the right tools in these sections. I don't think the "push the Wiimote forward to move" control works well at all, especially given how long a lot of these tunnels are, let alone the fact that the levels are mazes most of the time. For a couple less endoscopy missions, I wish Atlus would have added in another Diagnosis mission.

The story was engaging throughout, but there was some unexplained stuff/stuff that I was not entirely satisfied with.
This includes the fact that we never really get a good explanation of the Cumberland College incident, the question of what Naomi's disease was and how she contracted Rosalia in the first place, and how Derek's cameo was pretty unfulfilling.
But, I definitely appreciated that
Rosalia was actually a pretty well done super virus compared to GUILT/Neo-GUILT/Stigma. The fact that it also triggers profound psychological and biological changes makes it seem more like an actual serious biological problem as opposed to tiny laceration-making aliens that you need to zap with your laser gun.
In short, rock solid game.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I decided to treat Diagnosis as if it were an Ace Attorney interrogation.

Well, there go three of my hearts during the first round of questioning. :lol

Spurred on by the Amazon deal and having barely put any time in the game since I bought it, I decided to play for a few hours today.

This is undoubtedly the best Trauma game and the probably one of the best Wii games period. Hell, I'd go so far as to say it belongs in everyone's collection because it is the zenith of a great series.

I figure NichM is reading this, so I wanted to point out how great the localization is. There's a few typos here and there (I was very puzzled when Naomi used "nis" instead of "is" and was curious what nippon ichi had to do with anything), but the voice acting and dialogue does its best with the script.

Truly commendable. No other Japanese localizer goes as far as Atlus does with voice acting and it should absolutely be said again and again that they are the best at it.

Uncle AJ

Tried a few surgery missions, and they lasted 5-7 minutes apiece.

Tried a forensics mission, and it lasted 2 hours.

Could someone tell me the ratio of forensics to everything else? I'm trying to keep an even pace across all six.

So glad to see all the love this game is getting :) When it was announced I preordered almost straight away but didn't expect to much others here to buy. Pleasantly surprised though :)

I'm still loving this, done up to chapter 6 on everything except diagnostics and forensics. The story bits break up the gameplay nicely too.

I just think it's funny that Tomoe bangs on about "the path of honor" shortly before she plunges her endoscope down someone's asshole. Tacit encouragement of anal sex?

MechaX said:
The story was engaging throughout, but there was some unexplained stuff/stuff that I was not entirely satisfied with.
This includes the fact that we never really get a good explanation of the Cumberland College incident, the question of what Naomi's disease was and how she contracted Rosalia in the first place, and how Derek's cameo was pretty unfulfilling.
Naomi's disease was touched upon in Second Opinion, wasn't it? Some form of residual GUILT in her cells or something. As far as when she contracted Rosalia, well...it could have been when she was examining the bones, or when she was in the field full of pollen-spreading doom flowers, or random butterfly spores. Take your pick.

XiaNaphryz

Hero of Canton said:
I just think it's funny that Tomoe bangs on about "the path of honor" shortly before she plunges her endoscope down someone's asshole. Tacit encouragement of anal sex?
Errr, isn't she going through the other way? Dunno how you go from the stomach to the small intestine if you take the back route.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Just beat the game! I brought Trauma Team and the Wii home for the long weekend and ended up hooking my brother into the story as well, so we finished everything mostly cooperatively (he "let" me do all the endoscopy missions on my own :lol ). As a fan of previous games in the series,
I was hoping that the title of the last event referred to Dr. Stiles, but the "thank you for playing" message put a smile on my face nonetheless.

The story was really engaging and I loved the presentation/visual design; props to Atlus USA for another amazing job on localization as well (even though every other male character was Yuri Lowenthal, heh).

So yeah, excellent game that definitely deserves a place in any Wii owner's collection.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Okay, just one quick question to determine how interested I am in this:

What percentage of the game deals with real-life diseases/injuries and what percentage deals with sci-fi voodoo crap?

Aeana

Seraphis Cain said:
Okay, just one quick question to determine how interested I am in this:

What percentage of the game deals with real-life diseases/injuries and what percentage deals with sci-fi voodoo crap?
There aren't any alien viruses in this game.

Top Bottom