• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tretton: PS4 Announcement This Year Would Be Distracting, PS3 Just Hitting Its Stride

Yea, I really don't feel like they will announce PS4 at E3. Sigh... I really felt it up to a point. But I think they have a LOT of games this year that they'd like to focus on before PS4. But I'm pretty sure Microsoft will announce something and I don't know how that'll effect Sony. Screwed.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
2010 Hardware shipments: 14.4 million
2011 Hardware shipments: 14.1 million

I guess he didn't say if they were striding backwards or forwards.

Exactly. What a rediculous statement by JT.

Apeopleman

Most important issue is going to be the price of the ps4 at launch, everything else is just details.

I agree. A penny more than the xbox720 and its going to be ps3 all over again. Match the price, or even better, beat it. Give the xbox owners a compelling reason to own ps4 over xbox this generation.

Cross game chat would be nice too

Mxrz

I'm no arm-chair marketing guru, but it seems like their real competition should be with Nintendo. They launched a year later than MS, and despite so many fuck ups, they still sold nearly as much.Even outselling them in 2 of the big 3 market regions. Reacting to MS alone just seems shortsighted.

I'd let MS and Nintendo whore each other up, then launch with something stronger with its own identity to it. And no fucking $599 bullshit either. Sheesh. Its amazing they survived that.

most important region??
Yep
SONY sold the most ps2s in the PAL region . PS3 sells almost 1.5x - 2x as much as x360 in the PAL region .
Prove it. 360 is roughly 10 million ahead worldwide with Japan not included. Numbers don't add up for PS3 being 1.5-2x ahead.
Producers make more revenues from PAL region too.
I can only guess that producers means publishers. Publishers don't make more money in Pal. Activision makes about 25% more in NA. Even with FIFA, EA makes more money in NA than Europe. Ubisoft, based in Europe, makes more money in NA than Europe. Nintendo, makes significantly more money in Americas compared to Europe.
PS2 sold over 65m in the PAL region and i am sure PS3 will go close to that number when all is said and done
Based on the made up "facts" you posted above, I'm sure your prediction will be flawless.
most important region for MS you meant? which is USA/NA - the only region where it sells the most and it sells very well there no doubt
It's the most important region for every profitable video game company.
an x360 arcade costs 200$ in US and around 150$ outside NA , as opposed to a 250$ ps3(at the least )
Good work ignoring the facts about ASP in my previous post. Price isn't causing the difference in demand in NA. I also enjoyed how you put "at least" for the PS3, as if it's the only console with different priced sku's.

Hayeya

Banned
The way i read it: Heavy Losses are distracting
and the Next Next next Next generation does not start until... yeah right

I personally don't care if PS4 gets announced this year or not. I'm still fine with more of the current gen, I'm in no rush to jump into the next.

thuway

I personally don't care if PS4 gets announced this year or not. I'm still fine with more of the current gen, I'm in no rush to jump into the next.

You can stay in this Seventh Generation Purgatory. I would like to move on.

However, I would only like to move on if the hardware is worthwhile. I really hope Sony thinks long and hard about a jump in tech that makes sense.

Hydrargyrus

It's not when they'll announce it. I think it's more about the releasing date.

For example, if they announce PS4 in this E3 2012 and finally comes in later 2013, Sony will loose a lot of PS3 sales in this waiting gap.
But if the announce is in the E3 2013 and it will be released in the same year, the situation is similar in terms of expectation, but the sales won't be affected in the same way

thuway

It's not when they'll announce it. I think it's more about the releasing date.

For example, if they announce PS4 in this E3 2012 and finally comes in later 2013, Sony will loose a lot of PS3 sales in this waiting gap.
But if the announce is in the E3 2013 and it will be released in the same year, the situation is similar in terms of expectation, but the sales won't be affected in the same way

They also need to build momentum in some meaningful way. The last thing Sony wants to do is be a "me-too" device. Marketing while the NextBox and Wii U will be releasing is going to be insanely expensive. Without first party software to showcase it, it might as be dead in the water.

You'd think Sony would want to move on quickly and try to forget this whole generation and the damage it has done to the Playstation brand and it's purse-strings. This year however, they are saddled with the Vita and desperately need every big headline they can get to improve it's situation.

I'm no arm-chair marketing guru, but it seems like their real competition should be with Nintendo. They launched a year later than MS, and despite so many fuck ups, they still sold nearly as much.Even outselling them in 2 of the big 3 market regions.

This is why I feel Sony will be fine next gen.

Hayeya

Banned
You can stay in this Seventh Generation Purgatory. I would like to move on.

However, I would only like to move on if the hardware is worthwhile. I really hope Sony thinks long and hard about a jump in tech that makes sense.

If sony are smart they should release a moderately more powerful console than the ps3 (not super high end ultra expensive) with more rams and same programing since all developpers are now familiar with it, be 100 % compatible with ps3 games, and release it in the price range of 250 $ - 300 $, et voila success. no more 599 $ or even 399 $ consoles, no more 2 jobs bullshit, no more stupid arrogant quotes,

I agree. A penny more than the xbox720 and its going to be ps3 all over again. Match the price, or even better, beat it. Give the xbox owners a compelling reason to own ps4 over xbox this generation.

I like how your "compelling reason to own ps4 over xbox" can be summed up with one word: PRICE.

PS4 will not be 599$, that price was crazy. However it can still be 50$ more than X720/Loop/whatever with a set of compelling features. It's going to be marketed to the hardcore in the first year anyway.

But as many people have said - smart thing for them to do. They got Vita to worry about.

If X720 comes out this year it will be a rushed product - do you really think they planned everything to go from announcement to release in less than 6 months? WiiU was announced when? E3 2011? PS3 when? E3 2005, released end 2006? That's the time needed to plan and launch an HD console.

I like how your "compelling reason to own ps4 over xbox" can be summed up with one word: PRICE.

PS4 will not be 599$, that price was crazy. However it can still be 50$ more than X720/Loop/whatever with a set of compelling features. It's going to be marketed to the hardcore in the first year anyway.

But as many people have said - smart thing for them to do. They got Vita to worry about.

If X720 comes out this year it will be a rushed product - do you really think they planned everything to go from announcement to release in less than 6 months? WiiU was announced when? E3 2011? PS3 when? E3 2005, released end 2006? That's the time needed to plan and launch an HD console.
360 revealed may 2005, release November 2005.

IIf X720 comes out this year it will be a rushed product - do you really think they planned everything to go from announcement to release in less than 6 months? WiiU was announced when? E3 2011? PS3 when? E3 2005, released end 2006? That's the time needed to plan and launch an HD console.
Are you saying they start planning the consoles when they announce them?

Hydrargyrus

but planned for a year or two prior i'm sure. I wonder if Sony is in worse financial shape than they are telling us? (although i assume that would be illegal?)

But Sony could be planning (and I think they're doing it in this moment) all this for a announce and releasing, all in 2013 perfectly

Strike

360 revealed may 2005, release November 2005.

Halo 4, GTA V, AC III, and COD 9 will all be releasing within the next 12-14 months. Not to mention the 360 is just coming off it's best year ever in sales. Unlike the original Xbox, they actually make money off of every unit.

but planned for a year or two prior i'm sure. I wonder if Sony is in worse financial shape than they are telling us? (although i assume that would be illegal?)

Of course it was planned along time prior, sucessors to this gen probably started being planned for years ago by all three makers. It's just a matter of what there plans are as to when they pull the trigger, It wont be this year for sony and seriously I doubt it or MS aswell. His point was about the annoucements giving a lead to when the systems should be ready or a short time shows a rushed system.

Halo 4, GTA V, AC III, and COD 9 will all be releasing within the next 12-14 months. Not to mention the 360 is just coming off it's best year ever in sales. Unlike the original Xbox, they actually make money off of every unit.

I wasn't tying to say that the 720 would be this year just providing a counterpoint to his 18 month- 2 year argument for annoucement -> release

dr_rus

Unfortunately for all of us price-wise PS3 is really just hitting it's stride. I'm not expecting PS4 to appear sooner than in the end of 2013. PS3 should drop to $199 by then.

Are you saying they start planning the consoles when they announce them?

No, but shouldn't they at least announce things first? I forgot about X360, but we need to remember Microsoft killed the first Xbox to rush X360 to market, new console will have much more gentle landing. It just seems right to give it more time, build hype, etc.

Krilekk

Banned
It seems more like it would distract from the Vita which hasn't come close to hitting its stride.

I don't think their target audiences overlap that much. But it's an interesting statement by Tretton nonetheless because it shows just how badly Sony wants to not release a new console right now (cause they can't afford it). But let's not be fooled, if Microsoft shows anything at E3, and everything suggests they will, Sony has to be ready. Or the situation they're in will become even worse. It's not just the announcement of a PS4 that would hurt PS3 sales, the announcement of a new Xbox would be just as dangerous.

Krilekk

Banned
No, but shouldn't they at least announce things first? I forgot about X360, but we need to remember Microsoft killed the first Xbox to rush X360 to market, new console will have much more gentle landing. It just seems right to give it more time, build hype, etc.

They didn't kill Xbox to rush 360, they killed Xbox because of their contract with Nvidia that prohibited them from making any money with Xbox. They didn't own the rights to the GPU design and thus never were able to have a profitable console. That's why they bought all the rights to the Xenos (360 GPU).

What's better, to have one console to make money on and slowly lose momentum as people move over to Wii U because it is more powerful or to have two generations in the market and have one making the profit that pays for the early losses of the other? Xbox 360 at $199 and Xbox 720 at $399 can easily coexist. I guess they will have 4 SKUs in the market a year from now: Xbox 360 4GB at $99, Xbox 360 at $199, Xbox 720 Basic at $299 and Xbox 720 at $399. So you can choose exactly what you want to have.

With the Vita coming out, I can stand the wait for PS4 a little longer.

Not like he was gonna be like "Surprise announcement, since you asked!... PS4 Christmas 2012!"

Even if it was coming this year, he'd never even elude to it, especially with Vita in the coming days.

Vinci

Danish
Sony will try to hit with the PS4 relatively close to MS's new one. Whether that's immediately before, same day, or immediately after? I don't know. But it would be unwise of them to let both Nintendo and MS get out ahead of them unless they just have something ridiculously innovative in mind.

Krilekk

Banned
Sony will try to hit with the PS4 relatively close to MS's new one. Whether that's immediately before, same day, or immediately after? I don't know. But it would be unwise of them to let both Nintendo and MS get out ahead of them unless they just have something ridiculously innovative in mind.

I wonder what Sony does if Microsoft goes for a stealth release like with 360 Slim. E3 PK "And this is our successor to Xbox 360. It will be available by the end of this week. BAM".

I've pieced together this artististic rendition of PS3 based on Jack Tretton's various comments:

oaQfZ.gif

Vinci

Danish
I wonder what Sony does if Microsoft goes for a stealth release like with 360 Slim. E3 PK "And this is our successor to Xbox 360. It will be available by the end of this week. BAM".

Whimper a bit, take its ball, and go home? I've no idea. I doubt MS would release in such a fashion though.

guek

Banned

Sony? Innovation? Pfffffffffffffft

Ok, I shouldn't be so dismissive, but Sony hasn't been about innovation in years. They've been more centered around refinement, which is a problem since it causes them to be way too reactionary in pretty much every single one of their tech markets.

I really do hope 720 has a spring 2013 launch. It would probably force Sony to launch in fall 2013.

Sony: "You're fired Jack..."

JT: " What? Come on guys, i'm only just hitting my stride here!"

It's all good though, i am fine with another year or 2 of this gen personally, that gives me time to catch up with my PS1 backlog lol :(

Vinci

Danish
Sony? Innovation? Pfffffffffffffft

Ok, I shouldn't be so dismissive, but Sony hasn't been about innovation in years. They've been more centered around refinement, which is a problem since it causes them to be way too reactionary in pretty much every single one of their tech markets.

I really do hope 720 has a spring 2013 launch. It would probably force Sony to launch in fall 2013.

I'm not saying it's likely. And honestly? Sony is decently innovative. The problem with Sony is that it doesn't pull the damn trigger on its ideas till after someone else has already created a market around it. Then they come in, go, "Oh, we've been working on that for years!" and are seen as second-class citizens.

For a company that's so extravagant at times, it's remarkably conservative.

guek

Banned
I'm not saying it's likely. And honestly? Sony is decently innovative. The problem with Sony is that it doesn't pull the damn trigger on its ideas till after someone else has already created a market around it. Then they come in, go, "Oh, we've been working on that for years!" and are seen as second-class citizens.

For a company that's so extravagant at times, it's remarkably conservative.

Yeah, that's why I label them as reactionary.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'd be fine with a later announcement as long as they aren't left too far behind the next Xbox for release and have games to show when the time comes, as opposed to tech demos.

They didn't kill Xbox to rush 360, they killed Xbox because of their contract with Nvidia that prohibited them from making any money with Xbox. They didn't own the rights to the GPU design and thus never were able to have a profitable console. That's why they bought all the rights to the Xenos (360 GPU).

Which is exactly the reason they killed Xbox and rushed X360.

Top Bottom