• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tretton: PS4 Announcement This Year Would Be Distracting, PS3 Just Hitting Its Stride

guek

Banned
Hmm...he didn't deny the existence of a PS4, just said they don't want to announce it.

1329207948376.gif

...of course the PS4 exists...

Sinoox

Banned
"The PS3 is just hitting its stride"

I think I've heard Jack say this enough times that it could be his catch phrase.

Haunted

striders gonna stride

I don't know what it is about him, but all his comments remind me of that PA strip featuring a sad Tretton with a bottle: "Just give us one more year guys, you know we're good for it!"

Haunted

So now confirming lack of any next-gen news is next gen news?

This "next-gen!next-gen!next-gen!" click-whoring is completely out of control right now.
People are ready for new consoles, the enthusiast press is merely reflecting that. The one time when it's good that they're slaves to their audience.

People are ready for new consoles, the enthusiast press is merely reflecting that. The one time when it's good that they're slaves to their audience.

Where do you get the "people are ready for new consoles"? On GAF, where everyone has way too much free time and owns probably all current-gen consoles?

Wizpig

It is true that an announcement can almost kill the old console.

Look at the 3DS, we never got many DS games in Europe "because of" the 3DS (and other reasons aswell, like Capcom being stupid with AAI 2).

Where do you get the "people are ready for new consoles"? On GAF, where everyone has way too much free time and owns probably all current-gen consoles?

Im ready since last year.
Only reason i still have ps3 is because little brother uses it and my 360 because of halo 4.
Or else i would have sold them.

So yeah give me a announcement so i start setting $600 aside 499 for the console and 99 for 2 games if they dont screw up. Unless we get shitty setbox then im pumping $800 into pc new mobo ivy birdge cpu and 89xx series amd card or whatever nvidia brings..

Haunted

Mentioning the enthusiast press should make the audience clear. I'm not talking about the mainstream who are only aware of new consoles when they see one being played at their gamer friend's house.

Haunted

Utter nonsense. The vast majority of people couldn't give a shit and are happy with what they have. GAF loves new shiny, and sites love hits from GAF, we're all on this bullshit merry-go-round.
In the meantime Joe Public is blissfully unaware. At least until anything official comes out, then there is a danger that sales of the existing gen will be affected as people might wait. Thats why we won't see anything official until at least 6 months before launch. MS and Sony couldn't give a shit about GAF-hype, just keeping sales going.
The vast majority of people and Joe public are probably happy with their phones and the occasional FIFA (Madden for you us guys) game on the 360. They're not the enthusiasts, they're not the early adopters a new generational launch is targeting.

That's the people on GAF, the guys who follow the news, read gaming websites... and from what I've been reading here over the last couple months, I'm not the only one who is ready for new consoles. End generation fatigue has set in stronger than ever before, due to the length of this generation.

Kyoufu

I hope they show a lot of cool Vita games at E3 and TGS. Seriously, I hope they've got a killer lineup planned for that.

Snubbers

To be honest, I don't see the big deal.. if the PS3 was in full on bomba mode, I'd not expect them to paint anything but a positive picture.. we all know the PS3 is doing fine..

Of course, since the momentum is if anything slowing down and he's being so nonchalant about it..

8GJAY.jpg

gaming_noob

Who are they trying to kid?

*Sony reveals PS4 with several trailers at E3 2012*

*GAF excitement causes servers to crash with people claiming it's Sony's biggest surprise ever*

Well Sony must know something the rest of us don't because their lineup (first/second party) is pretty thin on the ground right now, especially with stuff like TLG seemingly never coming out
Just hitting it's stride is coming across more as just past it's peak to me

Nonsense. I give Sony a lot of shit, but even they aren't that stupid. With the Xbox brand gaining so much momentum compared to the previous generation, Nintendo both remerging as the go-to brand for causals, regardless of how much the wii eventually dropped off and the dark horse of apple potenitally entering the home console space with an APTV it would be suicide to even think of releasing a console later than Microsoft. Even a graphical powerhouse that outperformed the wiiu and 720 combined, at a cheaper price point and better launch titles wouldn't be enough.

It's just simple fact, the Sony brand in general, never mind playstation, is nowhere near as strong as it was in 2005-6. Their products are increasing seen as overpriced, with negligible improvements over mass market offerings by competitors, at least in practical terms, to anything but the enthusiast, and even then only a subsection. There is no doubt they still make beautiful products, but I give the analogy that any of football-GAF can understand. They are the Arsenal of consumer electronics......play a beautiful game, but don't win anything.

Vita is a good effort, but it's in a dying market. It will match psp's success, nothing more. The longer Sony waits to release a new home console, the less likely it will even achieve that. It matters little now how well ps3 does in the future..the damage to the playstation brand by Nintendo and microsoft is irreparable. Buying a playstation console no longer guarantees the premier gaming experience it once did for most. Sonys next entry needs to reflect that and grab the bull by the horns. A 2013 launch is essential.

Edit: I also forgot to mention services such as onlive, although held back by broadband speeds and penetration, are an effort that could potenitally have an impact in the future. Ultimately it boils down to this:- if you are a gamer, or even if you are just slightly interested in games, you are spoilt for choice on who to buy from to have a great experience. What is the compelling reason to buy a PS4 over any other brand, or even ironically enough, buy a next gen model at all? To beat its competition Sony has to learn from each and everyone of its mistakes this generation, something historically they are incapable of doing. One step forward, three steps back should be their motto.

Vaporizer

Banned
Well releasing a console last always has it's own advantages i am suprised to see tretton still in a job these days. How the hell is sony still employing this man? The worst performing territory for sony since the ps3 has launched.

This guy has nothing about him. No fire, drive motication. He's dead wood. Just like alot of people in SCEA. I look at guys like ken and ogha and then see tretton and i can only shake my head.

hell look at matrick. Not everyone's cup of tea but he's got passion. SCEA is just souless these days. Sony as a company really deseves better employees than this guy

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Good, bring all your fucking devs to Vita, and spend some money on hats for 3rd parties

Hoo-doo

Banned
People's expectations and marketing theories for next-gen consoles are through the roof here.
It's very much possible that this years E3 is going to be just as boring and formulaic as last years, with no mention of any new hardware, at least for both Microsoft and Sony.

All we have is a stack of shaky rumors. Let's not all get ahead of ourselves and act like the Nextbox reveal is confirmed.

First you say this:

It's just simple fact, the Sony brand in general, never mind playstation, is nowhere near as strong as it was in 2005-6. Their products are increasing seen as overpriced, with negligible improvements over mass market offerings by competitors, at least in practical terms, to anything but the enthusiast, and even then only a subsection.

But then you say this:

Nintendo both remerging as the go-to brand for causals, regardless of how much the wii eventually dropped off and the dark horse of apple potenitally entering the home console space with an APTV it would be suicide to even think of releasing a console later than Microsoft. Even a graphical powerhouse that outperformed the wiiu and 720 combined, at a cheaper price point and better launch titles wouldn't be enough.

I MAKE WINDU WAIKA BUT U NO RIKE, U SAY MAKE TUWARAITO PRINCESU. I MAKE TUWARAITO PRINCESU, YOU SAY MAKE WINDU WAIKA.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
"The PS3 is just hitting its stride"

I think I've heard Jack say this enough times that it could be his catch phrase.

Someone needs to call him out on that phrase. Sales data is showing us that PS3 never hit it's stride and is now declining.

First you say this:

But then you say this:

I MAKE WINDU WAIKA BUT U NO LIKE, U SAY MAKE TWILIGHTO SWORDU. I MAKE TWILIGHTO SWORDU, YOU SAY MAKE WINDU WAIKA.

There is no contradiction. The ps3 for the main market of joe public, (namely not us) doesn't really offer that great a difference over 360 in gaming term except for a few key exclusives, regardless if the potential for greater looking games are there, if you work to the ps3's strengths. In all honesty, every casual I know who bought a ps3 over a 360 in the recent few years, bought it over a 360 because of reliability, not exclusive games.

Likewise, if a ps4 releases and has the same amount of potential over its competition as its predecessor, but comes so late to the party that people are already having compelling experiences on other systems, it will suffer the same fate. Some devs will harness that power, but the rest will shoot for the lowest common denominator and just like the ps3, some games could actually end up looking worse because of it. A cheaper ps4 means nothing to a household that is only willing to buy one console each gen, if they have already got the wiiu or 720.

Edit: what is not ever mentioned in these discussions is how much toll the HD era have taken on studios this generation. Are any of you really believing that games are going to continue to look better and better at the same pace as they have this gen? The coming generation is going to be won and lost mostly on software and user experience, not the potenital of the hardware, which is real bad news for Sony even if they come out all guns blazing.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I don't blame him. Vita is in the process of launching, and the focus needs to be on that more than announcing another system.

I dont think any reasonable person can claim PS3 is hitting it's stride. The software lineup is starting to get pretty thin, The Last of Us, Twisted Metal, nothing that compares to the games of 2011, at least that has been announced so far. It looks to me more like a console winding down. The sales continue to be OK but nothing special, the price cut to $249 didn't exactly light the world on fire and how may price cuts are left?

A pretty clear picture to me seems that all 3 consoles are winding down. If anything 360 has the most life left with Kinect and sales that are the least bad. I think next gen plans should start to move into full swing and all three next gen consoles will probably be out by 2014. Two bad NPD months in row for all consoles with Dec and Jan could accelerate things if it continues. It's not like this gen didn't last longer than ever, going hard in year 7, but it's luck may have finally run out.

That said, it's unlikely Sony would make a PS4 announcement in 2012, just as it's unlikely (perhaps less so, but still unlikely) MS would make a next gen announcement this year imo. So it's natural for Tretton to deflect that question.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It matters little now how well ps3 does in the future..the damage to the playstation brand by Nintendo and microsoft is irreparable.

Did you just get into gaming this generation? It's funny how some look at the current situation and automatically assume it's going to continue in future generatrions.

Just ignore the fact that gaming companies have gone fron top of the heap to bottom, and vice versa throught the history of the industry.

Razgreez

It's the most important region for every profitable video game company.

Looking at dollar-yen exchange affected profits/losses... No you're pretty much totally wrong there. If sony were an american company that might be different but they remain a japanese one

There is logically no point in releasing a new PS system any time soon. Far too many financial factors against such a proposition. Late 2013, meaning 2014 for europe, is all one can realistically see if they wish to release a system both more powerful than and more (as) affordable as the competition. The roles between companies like sony and ms have been reversed - using the term losely - somewhat. They can be reversed again but not by following the same formula ms did.

Full product catalogue integration (every product in the range interfacing with another of the same brand) is more important for a company than a new system right now

Did you just get into gaming this generation? It's funny how some look at the current situation and automatically assume it's going to continue in future generatrions.

Just ignore the fact that gaming companies have gone fron top of the heap to bottom, and vice versa throught the history of the industry.

Or you could just ignore that Sony as a company is floundering compared to its former greatness and can't afford to be anything than top of the pack next gen.

I'm not looking at the current situation. That's the whole point. The ps3 is doing fine now, but how long did it take to get here? Do you honestly think Sony can afford that again?

And I've been gaming since the days of the commodore, no need to bring that condescending nonsense into the discussion.

test_account

XP-39C²
That is a looong stride indeed hehe. But i agree with him regarding the distracting part. The PS3 still has some big title games to come and the Vita is just launching in the west. Getting the PS4 on top of all this might be a bit too much for one company, and it will probably affect the sales of the PS3 as well.

Vaporizer

Banned
The playstation brand is actually one of the few things that sony can call upon when you compare it to it's other brands.

If there is one place playstation has taken a beating it's in the states. In the rest of the world it's fine. Which begs the question, for how long will sony tolerate an underperforming unit in america? They cant simply rely on europe and asia next generation as per usual. They have to do something.

I remember steve jobs firing one his managers right away for underperforming but in sony mediocrity is accepted. Reminds me like one poster said of arsenal. Wenger school of thinking is creeping up in the echelons of sony

Midou

It really should be the vita that is their focus at this point. The PS3 is still doing pretty well, and has a decent amount of exclusives this year with ToGf, Yakuza, Ni No Kuni, and maybe I'm missing something, but none of those are system sellers.

mclem

If sony are smart they should release a moderately more powerful console than the ps3 (not super high end ultra expensive) with more rams and same programing since all developpers are now familiar with it, be 100 % compatible with ps3 games, and release it in the price range of 250 $ - 300 $, et voila success. no more 599 $ or even 399 $ consoles, no more 2 jobs bullshit, no more stupid arrogant quotes,

Basically, two PS3's duct-taped together? I don't think Nintendo has a patent on duct tape.

I've said much the same elsewhere. I don't think going nuts on power is good business sense, frankly. It'd be a risk; not just for Sony themselves, but also for people wishing to develop for them.

I'm not so sure. Microsoft have done very well in adding extra value to the 360 with Kinect and the Q4 shipments were great at 8.4m, Sony weren't able to keep up despite they had a cheaper main SKU and a lower ASP overall. The obvious route for Sony is to cut the price to $199/€199/£149 but that is a short term fix and Sony need to find a way to add value to the PS3 if they want it to last beyond 2013 in any meaningful way.

At the end of the day, the PS4 won't exist officially until the day it is announced so as not to bear down on PS3 sales in the time between announcement and release.

My timetable for Sony would be announce at TGS in September, release in Japan in March. Show at E3 with some awesome games and live demonstrations and release in August/September 2013 in EU/US. The extra time will give third and first parties time to polish games so that there is no dearth of games for 12 months after the release.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Or you could just ignore that Sony as a company is floundering compared to its former greatness and can't afford to be anything than top of the pack next gen.

I'm not looking at the current situation. That's the whole point. The ps3 is doing fine now, but how long did it take to get here? Do you honestly think Sony can afford that again?

I totally agree that Sony has stumbled way too often this generation. They were the horse everyone was betting on, and their mistakes opened the door for Xbox, and they took it and ran with it.

But anything can happen, and that's the point I was trying to make. Anyone can screw up. Claiming irrepairable damage to a brand is silly in an industry where consumers had to go through 3+ Xboxes before getting one that wouldn't die on them.

I think one of two things is happening here...

1) They're bluffing because they don't want to cannibalize PS3 sales, and will properly announce PS4 later this year.

2) The underperformance of the PS3 (compared to their previous two consoles) and the tepid response to the Vita thus far has put PS4 development on delay.

Either way, I don't think the PS3 "Hitting it's stride" is Sony's real reason for supposedly not announcing anything this year.

Top Bottom