• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tretton: PS4 Announcement This Year Would Be Distracting, PS3 Just Hitting Its Stride

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
You're kidding right? If they launched in 2015 that would give WiiU a 3 year headstart and X3 a 2 year headstart. And your reasoning for them catching up is they'll have a more powerful system ... uh huh, de ja vu?

2015 for europe ;-)
this gen was gonna be de ja vu of the 128-bit generation but Sony got fucked by the media for their arrogance & fuck themselves with pricing, do you honestly think if Sony launch the PS3 at the same price as 360 & had nothing but good press the 360 would be where it is now?
a generation shift is too soon, Nintendo needs it( not for sales ), MS don't, they're just trying to tackle Nintendo
if they all 3 do, its gonna be a short gen, but no, my reasoning is I don't think they're gonna fly off the shelves everyone else does, and like I said aggressive pricing on PS3 will keep them at bay, and what would be Wii U's and X3's reason for customers to buy into a newly release console, cuz they'll have a more powerful system?
but honestly, you think if Sony announces a new console this year ya gonna see it next year?
2014, anything less will be rushed, same for MS
But remember, is all IMO, I just don't think its time
And I thought we did kinda know the specs....sorry, debunked uh?

If Sony launches 6 months or more later than Microsoft then they better have a system that is significantly more power (just throw in a better videocard and more RAM perhaps), and have first-party games that can instantly showoff the difference in visual fidelity at launch.

I think it will be slightly to somewhat more powerful (in a PS4 later launching than 720 scenario) but will focus more on an efficiency advantage i.e. cost, case size, CPU-GPU tightly integrated SoC, power consumption efficiency, etc. And perhaps VR peripheral gimmick?

The goals will be improved early profitability and increased speed of mass market adoption over PS3.

The hardware will definitely try to stay away from the complexity of PS3.

Cell and Rambus, FU.

JardeL

eddiemurphyyesnodapprov.gif

KageMaru

If rumors are to be believed, the PS4 will likely be the only "hardcore console".

And that's why the rumors should not be believed.

Change PS4 to WiiU and that's exactly the position Nintendo is in right now.

No, not at all. The PS4 launching in 2015 is nothing like the Wii-U launching now. The Wii-U is launching at the beginning of this generations' possible decline, the PS4 would be launching right smack in the middle of next gen if launched around that period.

Not to mention that it's likely for the first year of the Wii-U's life cycle, most of the development attention will still be directed towards the PS360. After these current gen projects are done, it makes sense to move onto next gen, at which point a new "lead" console would be decided based on various factors.

It would be incredibly stupid for Sony to launch 2-3 years after the Wii-U and 720, even if it was more powerful.

Edit:

I was just wondering out loud. I would say something else, but don't want to get banned, so I will just leave it at that.

lol that's a shame, I could use a good laugh.

Necron

I think focusing on the Vita and PS3 in 2012 isn't a bad idea. Launching the PS4 in late 2013/early 2014 seems very likely at this point.

Endo Punk

That's so obvious it's crazy how some gamers think Sony will or should confirm a PS4 this year. They already have a new system in the form of VITA so why would they show a PS4 now? Not only will it hurt PS3 sales but probably also VITA.

The best thing Sony can do is bring out a new PS3 model to give it more legs for at least 2 years. And PS3 cost is still out of reach for most people, many price drops await.

Sometimes I hate english...
Past tense or present?

Anyway, they are not going to announce anything PS4 this year.
They probably dont even have a game plan for it. No ideas.
No selling points. Not to mention the economy sucks.

They will have to put all their resources in getting VITA to competition level
against the 3DS and to recoup their investments from the PS3. That means their
developers will be busy making games for current platforms for some time to come.
PS4 in 2014 would be their best bet, if we even will ever see it.

Lol.

I feel a couple things aren't being emphasized enough in these threads. First of all, even after launching at a silly price a year late Sony has still had a great generation.
It isn't by ANY stretch of the imagination a "great generation" for them. Not at all. Even the PSP will be considered a far better success than the PS3.
Their PS3 sales have recovered greatly and are nearing 360 sales.
That's something to be proud of? Going from the king of the industry, selling 120 million (outselling closest competitors by 6) to barely coming close to the second place console AFTER 5 years in the market? Not to mention that the PS3 is the one taking a downturn while the 360 is the one that's been revitalized.
The PS3 is THE console in many parts of the world. People never seem to criticize Microsoft for lackluster sales worldwide but everyone is quick to jump on Sony for their success in America.
Which parts are these? And how much of worldwide sales do they represent? 5%? 4%? 2%?
If you don't people criticize Microsoft as much, it's because in EVERY part of the world, no matter how bad (see: Japan), Microsoft has sold more than the previous generation. They've proved they can improve internationally, and because even though you may call them lackluster Microsoft is still #2 worldwide.
Second, too many people here think that the 2 billion loss from Sony is from their games division. From what I know, it's not.
What you know is wrong. There is a massive generational deficit for Sony. Sony has lost more this generation (over the course of the past 6 years) because of the PS3 than they've earned.
Their games division is profitable and, as Kaz has explained, it is one of pillars of Sony that should keep doing what they're doing.
Certain profits are profitable, yes. But they don't make up for the HUGE losses incurred at the start of the generation.
Also, being "profitable" doesn't make everything okay. Making $1 and Making $1,000,000,000 are both considered profitable, but one is more appealing than the other. Consumers and Shareholders both expected far more from Sony.
Third, they are doing great things for the games business. They produce hardware that is feature filled, like the PS3 with blu-ray or the Vita with its touch screen, dual analog sticks, etc, etc.
They also take a lot of features OUT like PS2 backwards compatibility and other OS. But yes, you're right that it is a great machine. But any of the BIG 3 can make an awesome suped up console with a shitload of unnecessary features (and believe, to most consumers Blu-Ray was an unnecessary feature for the longest time). The point is to do it while maintaining costs and price in check, something which Sony once again failed at this gen. No one reasonable was happy that Sony released this "feature-filled" console for $599.
And even with all that tech, Microsoft developed a far more dev-friendly console which resulted in more benefits for the 360 than the handful of games that actually make use of the PS3. When 90% of 3rd party games are performing better on the 360, consumers aren't thanking sony for making an excessive and expensive console.
They also deserve credit for investing and promoting talent in this industry. Their first part line-up is bar-none, imo. With exclusives like Uncharted, God of War and LittleBigPlanet. They nurture talent and give studios multiple chances to get stuff right. That should be respected.
No doubt. Consumers do appreciate the effort Sony has put in their first-party lineup. It's definitely something to be respected. Even if most consumers (not even including casuals) have simply bought more Microsoft and Nintendo first party games.
Sure they aren't perfect but the doom and gloom is getting pretty irritating to be honest.
You say this because you lack genuine perspective. You're a Sony fan, and that's alright, but it's clouded your judgement and perspective on the business side of things greatly.

The doom and gloom people and doom and gloom-y because they know that Sony's handling of the PS3 is NOT something that can be repeated again. Selling $900 for $600 with an iferior online infrastructure, and going from first place to last and nibbling at Microsoft's heels isn't a "great generation". And no one at Sony will stand for that again.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Makes a ton of sense. Lets the gaming division concentrate on the PSP vita this year. Also more importantly it gives them a 18 months to work on the company as a whole. Once they get the direction of the company of in the right direction they can launch the PS4 in 2013. The company is a mess right now and is no position to launch a new console this year.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
No, not at all. The PS4 launching in 2015 is nothing like the Wii-U launching now. The Wii-U is launching at the beginning of this generations' possible decline, the PS4 would be launching right smack in the middle of next gen if launched around that period.

Not to mention that it's likely for the first year of the Wii-U's life cycle, most of the development attention will still be directed towards the PS360. After these current gen projects are done, it makes sense to move onto next gen, at which point a new "lead" console would be decided based on various factors.

It would be incredibly stupid for Sony to launch 2-3 years after the Wii-U and 720, even if it was more powerful.

If Microsoft releases the next Xbox holiday 2013 and PS4 releases in March or April of 2014 at the latest, I don't think that's out of the realm of possibility. In fact, right now I think it's the most likely scenereo based on what Jack Tretton just said. This would essentially mean Wii U would get PS3/360 ports for the first year of it's life and then PS4 would get Wii U ports since it would likely be ported up. I don't see how this would be stupid at all. The worst thing they could do is rush out another system right now. PS3 still has another price drop before that should happen.

quest

Not Banned from OT
That's so obvious it's crazy how some gamers think Sony will or should confirm a PS4 this year. They already have a new system in the form of VITA so why would they show a PS4 now? Not only will it hurt PS3 sales but probably also VITA.

The best thing Sony can do is bring out a new PS3 model to give it more legs for at least 2 years. And PS3 cost is still out of reach for most people, many price drops await.

The PS3 is hardly out of the price range for most people now. The Wii sold 10s of millions of consoles at the same price point. The slow start was the death of Sony this generation in NA. Because of Online gaming no company is going to give the other much of a head start any more. Because once you fall behind it makes it near impossible to catch up in NA. It is a snowball effect that happened this time around. People bought 360s then when prices dropped their friends bought 360's so they can play each other online.

What you know is wrong. There is a massive generational deficit for Sony. Sony has lost more this generation (over the course of the past 6 years) because of the PS3 than they've earned.

Thats not what he was saying. He's talking about the recent fiscal losses for Sony. He's right in that gaming didn't contribute.

without the cell or high speed XDR RAM the ps3 would have been a laughing stock considering the weak GPU and low amount of memory it has which is already under pressure by the huge OS footprint.

Cell's under performance, causing a late game design change, directly contributed to a weak and unoptimized Nvidia GPU.

Cell is dead and totally out of the question at this point, in any case. Consoles are going to be more GPU-centric this time around.

Thats not what he was saying. He's talking about the recent fiscal losses for Sony. He's right in that gaming didn't contribute.
Hmm, actually you're right. He was talking about the recent $2 Billion loss. But in that case, I don't know where he's pointing fingers, because I don't see anyone blaming that loss on the games division.

Most people just use that loss as a reason to state why Sony will be more conservative with the games division because they don't want to be hemorrhaging money again.

Cell's under performance, causing a late game design change, directly contributed to a weak and unoptimized Nvidia GPU.

Cell is dead and totally out of the question at this point, in any case. Consoles are going to be more GPU-centric this time around.

Almost everything you said in this post is wrong. The last sentence is probably right though.

Kazerei

Banned
Both the PS3 and 360 did well in 2011, but IMO they really need to push for new consoles in 2013 because (1) sales are going to slow down over the next two years (2) they shouldn't give Nintendo that big of a head start. Sony needs to suck up the failure of the PS3 and move on.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
The PS3 is hardly out of the price range for most people now. The Wii sold 10s of millions of consoles at the same price point. The slow start was the death of Sony this generation in NA. Because of Online gaming no company is going to give the other much of a head start any more. Because once you fall behind it makes it near impossible to catch up in NA. It is a snowball effect that happened this time around. People bought 360s then when prices dropped their friends bought 360's so they can play each other online.

The economy also took a massive nose dive at the end of 2008 two years after Wii released - when PS3 was $500 - $600. I agree with the assessment that PS3 is still priced out of a lot of people's hands. If it's selling better in 2011 than any other year, I'm sure the price drops had something to do with it.

What does online gaming have to do with giving another company a head start? Wii has been a huge success not because of online gaming, but local multiplayer. Xbox had Halo 3 which was massively hyped to get the online audience. If anything, Halo, Gears and Live are what got people to buy an Xbox for online, not a year headstart.

KageMaru

If Microsoft releases the next Xbox holiday 2013 and PS4 releases in March or April of 2014 at the latest, I don't think that's out of the realm of possibility. In fact, right now I think it's the most likely scenereo based on what Jack Tretton just said. This would essentially mean Wii U would get PS3/360 ports for the first year of it's life and then PS4 would get Wii U ports since it would likely be ported up. I don't see how this would be stupid at all. The worst thing they could do is rush out another system right now. PS3 still has another price drop before that should happen.

I read his comment as the PS4 launching much later than early 2014. I took as it not launching any earlier than 2015 or possibly even 2016. He quite clearly says to hit them in the middle of next gen.

It's a dumb idea to jump into a generation that's already established. Besides I don't see Sony launching the PS4 early 2014, at least not in the US.

kuroshiki

Sony is playing it smart. It's dumb idea to fight 2 fronts (console and portable) at the same time. Right now Sony should 1) Maintain the PS3 sale and support while 2) focus any remaining power to Vita.

After Vita became established platform and 3rd party support flowing in, then they can start worry about PS4.

/troll post.

Do you have an alternate version of reality? Is your special dual Cell equipped PS3 generating 2TFLOPS that Kutaragi claimed?

No.

Cells "underperformance" had shit to do with Sony's GPU situation. They just came to the startling realization thet retro-fitting gpu hardware to a CPU is a needlessly complex job and it would be easier/cheaper to let a GPU manufacturer do that.

The RSX isn't "weak" at all. If we are gonna get technical the RSX has a bit more horsepower overall than the Xenos. Due to a combination of poor design/bottlnecks from sony & damn effencient design from MS, the Xenos will typically outperform the RSX.

As for Cell in PS4, Sony seems interested in using DSPs again, so I wouldn't be suprised if you get some SPE-like units.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I read his comment as the PS4 launching much later than early 2014. I took as it not launching any earlier than 2015 or possibly even 2016. He quite clearly says to hit them in the middle of next gen.

It's a dumb idea to jump into a generation that's already established. Besides I don't see Sony launching the PS4 early 2014, at least not in the US.

The latest rumor was that PS4 would be more powerful than the next Xbox and that it would release near or months after the next Xbox. The dates were pure speculation on my part.

PS4 will have FFVII:Remake as a holiday 2015 launch title, with Versus coming (maybe) 13 months later.

Please look forward to it.*

*before anyone flies off the handle, the 'please look forward to it' is a joke, as it's what Nomura always fucking says regarding Versus XIII. I'm not some kind of 'insider', obviously :D

I can understand Sony's thinking regarding the term 'distraction', I do.

However.

If they are not planning on announcing the PS4 until 2013, and intend to launch it Q4 2013 / Q1 2014 they have to be really careful.

If Microsoft announce the Xbox 720 this E3 and aim to launch it early 2013, Sony are in serious trouble.

benny lava

Neo Member
Whoever is running Sony, at least the videogame hardware division, must be from an alternate universe where strings of stupid decisions eventually add up to massive success. What else could explain the inexplicable way they run their business? I give you:

exhibit A) launching a handheld that even in Japan nobody seems to want and will be a complete flop in the U.S., then giving that device practically no marketing support
exhibit B) potentially giving MSFT, who is handing them their ass in console sales, a 1 to 2 year head start on the next generation

At this rate they will put themselves out of the console business in no time. I just don't get it. They are flying the burning plane right into the side of the mountain. How can Sony be this out of touch with reality? I say this as a raging Sony fanboy. I love my PS3 and wanted it to beat out the 360 in the console wars, but it never happened and it looks like it never will.

Microsoft gets it and Sony doesn't. Game over.

Vaporizer

Banned

Cell's underperformance? Are you aware of the fact that the cell has to do things to help the RSX in it's job in addition to it's own main tasks? You need to read a few slides from DICE and gureilla games.

If the ps3 had a decent GPU and more memory, then you would not need things MLAA which are draining valuable CPU cycles.

As for the dead part, cell is not dead as long as it's being produced in it's millions today by sony. It's dead when sony says it's dead

Ramblin

Banned
Cell's underperformance? Are you aware of the fact that the cell has to do things to help the RSX in it's job in addition to it's own main tasks? You need to read a few slides from DICE and gureilla games.

If the ps3 had a decent GPU and more memory, then you would not need things MLAA which are draining valuable CPU cycles.

As for the dead part, cell is not dead as long as it's being produced in it's millions today by sony. It's dead when sony says it's dead

Back in the day they thought the Cell would be enough, that it wouldn't need a gpu. http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-...cted-to-use-IBM-architecture-in-PlayStation-3

I honestly don't understand the mentality of those who seek to push the launch of the PS4 back simply because they're not ready to give up on the PS3. If you don't want to pick up a new console then wait. Your hand isn't being forced.

Marco1

Whoever is running Sony, at least the videogame hardware division, must be from an alternate universe where strings of stupid decisions eventually add up to massive success. What else could explain the inexplicable way they run their business? I give you:

exhibit A) launching a handheld that even in Japan nobody seems to want and will be a complete flop in the U.S., then giving that device practically no marketing support
exhibit B) potentially giving MSFT, who is handing them their ass in console sales, a 1 to 2 year head start on the next generation

At this rate they will put themselves out of the console business in no time. I just don't get it. They are flying the burning plane right into the side of the mountain. How can Sony be this out of touch with reality? I say this as a raging Sony fanboy. I love my PS3 and wanted it to beat out the 360 in the console wars, but it never happened and it looks like it never will.

MS don't really get it, they have the luxury of deeper pockets.

J-Rzez

If Sony were to launch a year after MS again, they'd manage to lose as much percentage wise in market share as they have this gen. They'd be ridiculous to think they can launch that late, and if they do believe they can do this, then I wouldn't doubt to see them bow out of the following gen.

People thinking they're going to leave now, no way. They'll give it another go, as the Playstation brand made them a lot of money over the years (and lost a lot this gen with their gambles). Can't give up on something that big, that soon.

KageMaru

lol nice

The latest rumor was that PS4 would be more powerful than the next Xbox and that it would release near or months after the next Xbox. The dates were pure speculation on my part.

That was one of the latest PS4 rumors while we've had quite a few Nextbox rumors since then. I've been told not to get my hopes up with the ps4 being some monster machine, so who knows what we should believe. In the end I don't put much faith in these rumors until something more concrete shows up.

I understand the dates were pure speculation on your part, but I was specifically referring to the timeline described in Castor Krieg's post.

Neither is really handing anyone their ass in console sales really, which makes all the WW sales fanboy banter even more amusing.

saichi

Not really, Sony can hold out till 2014, 2015 even.
We all know Wii U & X3 is gonna be similar spec & not that much of a jump from this gen, with aggressive pricing & AAA exclusives they can combat both launches & launch later with a more powerful console & better perspective of the competition, it been done before.

Isn't that what Sony tried to do with VITA but failed?

more powerful machine - check and probably will happen with PS4.
aggressive pricing - check but lost the advantage after Nintendo took a quick price cut.
AAA exclusive - ok VITA didn't have this so far but with all the multiplat games on PS360 this gen, there is no guarantee Sony could get any AAA exclusives over MS.

With all this talk about PS4 releasing in 2014/2015 and how 2011 is Sony's best year, I'm thinking maybe Sony can skip next gen all together and release PS4 in 2018 to make it a 12 yr cycle for PS3.

Reason being:

1. PS3 is hitting its stride and just become profitable.
2. PS3 is still a powerful machine.
3. PS3 still has room to drop the price and once WiiU and 720 on the market, it would have price advantage.
4. I don't see consumers to upgrade their HDTV again in 5 years so 1080p games + 3D would be sufficient.
5. PS3 already has a BD drive.

By waiting a little longer, Sony can enjoy the profit from PS3 in the next few years and become the first console launched for the next next gen.

Isn't that what Sony tried to do with VITA but failed?

more powerful machine - check and probably will happen with PS4.
aggressive pricing - check but lost the advantage after Nintendo took a quick price cut.
AAA exclusive - ok VITA didn't have this so far but with all the multiplat games on PS360 this gen, there is no guarantee Sony could get any AAA exclusives over MS.

With all this talk about PS4 releasing in 2014/2015 and how 2011 is Sony's best year, I'm thinking maybe Sony can skip next gen all together and release PS4 in 2018 to make it a 12 yr cycle for PS3.

Reason being:

1. PS3 is hitting its stride and just become profitable.
2. PS3 is still a powerful machine.
3. PS3 still has room to drop the price and once WiiU and 720 on the market, it would have price advantage.
4. I don't see consumers to upgrade their HDTV again in 5 years so 1080p games + 3D would be sufficient.
5. PS3 already has a BD drive.

By waiting a little longer, Sony can enjoy the profit from PS3 in the next few years and become the first console launched for the next next gen.

I don't mean to be rude but this is a horrible horrible idea.
Technology is moving fast, extremely fast. Social networking is such a huge part of our society now and it has entered into home entertainment with gaming. The PS3 isn't capable of surviving, let alone flourishing for another 6 years when the competition will both have hardware that is noticeably better and has features that it doesn't have.

Games that will be built for next generation will not be ported down to the PS3. The Wii U and the next Xbox will be more powerful than the PS3. The PS3 will in essence become the Wii for third party support. And unlike the Wii, it will not have the 1st party juggernauts that the Wii had thanks to Mario, Zelda, etc.

The BD drive is no longer talking point since you can buy blu ray players for dirt cheap, not to mention that more and more people are getting their movies from Netflix, Amazon, and other streaming services.

The PS3 simply will not do for 6 years. Not to mention that at a certain time it will cost Sony more to produce the hardware for the PS3 than it would to simply create a new system.

It simply doesn't make sense which is why it won't happen.

HylianTom

Banned
Sony needs to go for crazy, mind-blowing amounts of power in their next console, just like with the PS3. Ask around here.. gamers love powerful consoles!

But this time, at $599, it needs to come with a game - not a Blu Ray.

Aim for the sun, Sony!

goodfella

I don't really get all this 'PS3 just hitting its stride talk.'

As soon as the Wii U and next Xbox are released, who's going to go for a PS3?

Better to release the next console in a timely fashion to keep the momentum going, rather than wait until a year or two after the next consoles are released to release the PS4, and end up in the same situation as the PS3, only getting momentum in the late game.

Better to have lots of sales early in a life cycle than late.

Tookay

That's so obvious it's crazy how some gamers think Sony will or should confirm a PS4 this year. They already have a new system in the form of VITA so why would they show a PS4 now?

That's what Nintendo did last year, revealing the Wii U when they had released the 3DS just months prior. Why is this so crazy?

To be fair, PS2's were still selling after Xbox360 released.

There might be a slight difference in the popularity between the two.

Might be. *cough*

edit: Just so there is no confusion about my point there. The PS3 is no PS2. It won't have a shelf life half as long, and it won't be remembered anywhere as fondly. 50 million PS2's were sold after the PS3 launched, it would take a literal miracle for Sony to sell 25 million PS3's after the PS4 launches.

Top Bottom